Forum Settings
Forums

what do you think is the worst genre ever existed

New
Apr 20, 3:01 AM
Apr 2022
I think it's harem and isekai............................................................................

(wearing my super protective helmet to protect myself against the rabid harem and isekai fans)
Apr 20, 3:04 AM

Feb 2020
"what do you think is the worst genre ever existed"

Genre: Avant Garde

Theme: Harem
Apr 20, 3:06 AM
Oct 2019
I don't think one genre is worse that another what I do think though it's every genre got his mixed bag. Calling an entire genre worse it's the same fallacy as flat earther in my perspective because it's shallow and insipid especially if it's a genre old with a plethora of titles which at the end lead to a prejudice against older titles because the newest entry are considered lackluster by said person.
Apr 20, 3:08 AM

Mar 2012
Like I already mentioned in another thread, the worst genre is BL because it has a lot of romanticized abuse/rape/non-con/dub-con and its fans tend to be rabid justifying these things by saying that it's LGBT and no one is allowed to criticize it because otherwise they'll immediately be labeled as homophobic.
Apr 20, 3:13 AM

Nov 2021
Any genre that is overused, lacks originality and have quantity over quality is unappealing, in anime it’s obvious that isekai, rom com(including harem) and fantasy are most overused genre.

Yeah that too^
Apr 20, 3:16 AM

Sep 2016
My least favorite genre is yaoi, because I'm straight male.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 20, 3:21 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to Zarutaku
My least favorite genre is yaoi, because I'm straight male.
@Zarutaku
https://www.youtube.com/@BitesizedBL/videos

This channel will probably lose your shit lol.........................
Apr 20, 3:22 AM
Dec 2022
Reply to Otakupervert890
I don't think one genre is worse that another what I do think though it's every genre got his mixed bag. Calling an entire genre worse it's the same fallacy as flat earther in my perspective because it's shallow and insipid especially if it's a genre old with a plethora of titles which at the end lead to a prejudice against older titles because the newest entry are considered lackluster by said person.
@Otakupervert890 Agreed. It's more of the execution of the premise itself rather than what it represents. So it's kind of unfair to declare one genre worse than the other simply because of the bad apples of said genre.
Apr 20, 3:42 AM
Jun 2021
Battle shounen. The genre is so stiffled by cliches that it's literally impossible to innovate nowadays.

Also @dumbandinsane I don't get you. Some YouTube channel ran by what I presume is some fujo can't raffle a man's feathers that easily. 0/10 bait, try harder.
TheMechaManiacApr 20, 3:46 AM
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 20, 4:36 AM

Mar 2016
My least favorite genre still to this day is romcom, never got the appeal of a romantic comedy.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Apr 20, 4:47 AM

Nov 2019
*People are really dumb and insane.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 20, 4:48 AM

Sep 2018
isekai shouldn't have become a genre, fantasy is enough
mecha shouldn't have become a genre, sci-fi is enough
but "reincarnated as a villainess in an otome game" takes the cake
Apr 20, 4:48 AM

Nov 2023
Battle shounen and Isikai. These two only knows how to copy other peoples homework and refuse to innovate yet people watch it anyways.

The main differences is that one is a easy popularity bomb in different skins and the other has haram in a insultingly cliched fictional world with cool magic.
Ratris_DecisionApr 20, 4:52 AM
Apr 20, 5:15 AM

Feb 2023
I am not into Boys Love/Yaoi and Hentai.
Apr 20, 5:18 AM

Dec 2018
Probably battle shonen I guess. Maybe whatever the original Pokemon anime is as well.

Apr 20, 5:49 AM

May 2019
I think battle shonen is a very boring genre.
Apr 20, 6:22 AM

Mar 2024
There is no worst gender, that is very reductionist. The correct thing would be: what gender is not your cup of tea? Anyway, in my case it's the mecha and yaoi.
ラーメン食いに行こうぜ~
Apr 20, 6:32 AM

Dec 2018
Isekai. I have a few favorites from there, I don't deny it, but the majority belongs in the trash. I think the same about the ecchi-harem animes of the years 2000-2015.
Citrone39Apr 20, 6:35 AM
Apr 20, 6:34 AM

Jan 2021
My least favorite is gay/BL/Yaoi etc. I guess that makes me a homophobe.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Apr 20, 6:35 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to Sorachin
There is no worst gender, that is very reductionist. The correct thing would be: what gender is not your cup of tea? Anyway, in my case it's the mecha and yaoi.
@Sorachin Ah yes. Those aren't very cool genders.

Apr 20, 7:01 AM
Apr 2021
Loli , harem , isekai , incest , mecha , hentai
Apr 20, 7:12 AM

Aug 2018
There is no worst genre, but there are anime that give certain genres a bad name.
Apr 20, 9:40 AM

Feb 2021
It's hard to say what's the worst genre when every genre has had popular and respected shows come out of them.

This even includes genres like "Avant Garde" for example.

FZREMAKE said:
My least favorite is gay/BL/Yaoi
Even the genres you mentioned have had really popular shows come out of them, so I can't say they are objectively the "worst" genres...

Apr 20, 9:44 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to MadanielFL
It's hard to say what's the worst genre when every genre has had popular and respected shows come out of them.

This even includes genres like "Avant Garde" for example.

FZREMAKE said:
My least favorite is gay/BL/Yaoi
Even the genres you mentioned have had really popular shows come out of them, so I can't say they are objectively the "worst" genres...

@MadanielFL Popular in what sense? I have seen some BL and Yaoi being popular amongst the LBGT community or fujoshis but not much outside. Besides, popularity doesn't necessarily mean better. Almost every genre has had a couple of shows more popular than BL or Yaoi.

Apr 20, 10:06 AM

May 2021
Mecha and slice of life but Im sure most people would disagree
Apr 20, 10:17 AM

Mar 2019
High school romance with tsundere protagonist. :3
Apr 20, 10:17 AM

Feb 2021
FZREMAKE said:
Popular in what sense? I have seen some BL and Yaoi being popular amongst the LBGT community or fujoshis but not much outside. Besides, popularity doesn't necessarily mean better. Almost every genre has had a couple of shows more popular than BL or Yaoi
Well according to MAL, the genre with the least popular "most popular" anime is actually GL not BL, with Citrus having 500k members.

And according to scores, the genre with the lowest "highest score" is also GL with YuruYuri S3 at a 7.91
While BL has Given at an 8.32, which is even higher than the highest rated anime on the "Gourmet" genre, which is Food Wars! at 8.14
Apr 20, 10:23 AM

Apr 2015
Easily shounen. Teenagers screaming and beating each other up is the least interesting thing for a plot ever.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 20, 10:31 AM

Jun 2019
I can't say what is objectively the worst because I don't believe that there is a universal objective worst.

I can only say what are personally the worst to me, as in my least favorite, and those are Comedy, Sports, Ecchi, Harem (including Reverse Harem), and Hentai.

There are always exceptions though. For example, I don't care for and am not even interested in starting to watch most Ecchi, yet love Kodomo no Jikan and consider it a high-ranked favorite. I don't care for most Sports genre series and yet like and appreciated various aspects of Hanebado! and Ping Pong the Animation a great deal.
WatchTillTandavaApr 20, 7:37 PM
Apr 20, 11:08 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to MadanielFL
FZREMAKE said:
Popular in what sense? I have seen some BL and Yaoi being popular amongst the LBGT community or fujoshis but not much outside. Besides, popularity doesn't necessarily mean better. Almost every genre has had a couple of shows more popular than BL or Yaoi
Well according to MAL, the genre with the least popular "most popular" anime is actually GL not BL, with Citrus having 500k members.

And according to scores, the genre with the lowest "highest score" is also GL with YuruYuri S3 at a 7.91
While BL has Given at an 8.32, which is even higher than the highest rated anime on the "Gourmet" genre, which is Food Wars! at 8.14
@MadanielFL Firstly, GL is also gay so my point still stands.
Secondly wtf. Why are you comparing scores and popularity from MAL. Mal isn't a good place to determine this stuff. Especially if we look at scores. BL has a small but dedicated fan base who are obviously going to score the genre highly. If your average anime viewer starting watching BL just like they consume mainstream anime like Kny or Jjk then most of the BL anime wouldn't have 7+ rating.
Lastly, I still can't seem to understand how any of this proves that a specific genre is better than the other. You simply can't do that based on 1 or 2 anime.

Apr 20, 11:19 AM

Feb 2021
FZREMAKE said:
Lastly, I still can't seem to understand how any of this proves that a specific genre is better than the other. You simply can't do that based on 1 or 2 anime.
My original post already said this, it's very hard to determine what's the "worst genre" but using MAL as a sample, it's GL not BL.

And GL has as much of a dedicated fan base as BL, yet no GL anime ever got over 8.00...
Apr 20, 11:21 AM

Nov 2013
These "x" is the worst genre threads are silly. There's no such thing as a bad genre, just bad anime. Even then, "bad" is completely subjective within the context of the viewer.

For any genre, there are anime which succeeded in realizing a strong concept, and those which failed. Genres which have a larger number of "misses" are not bad genres, they're just harder to write a strong story for, while adhering to the formulas and themes which define the genre.
Apr 20, 11:29 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to MadanielFL
FZREMAKE said:
My original post already said this, it's very hard to determine what's the "worst genre" but using MAL as a sample, it's GL not BL.

And GL has as much of a dedicated fan base as BL, yet no GL anime ever got over 8.00...
@MadanielFL Well even if we are for some reasons using MAL as a reference, then shouldn't we look at the average rather than the highest of each genre. Anyways, it will still be pointless to do so since my 1st point in the previous post still stands.

Apr 20, 11:41 AM

Feb 2021
FZREMAKE said:
Well even if we are for some reasons using MAL as a reference, then shouldn't we look at the average rather than the highest of each genre. Anyways, it will still be pointless to do so since my 1st point in the previous post still stands.
Well "gay" is not a genre, maybe a "theme", kinda like how isekai is a theme of fantasy.

GL and BL are always counted as two distinct genres, in Japan the world of GL and the world of BL are two separate things.
Apr 20, 11:49 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to MadanielFL
FZREMAKE said:
Well even if we are for some reasons using MAL as a reference, then shouldn't we look at the average rather than the highest of each genre. Anyways, it will still be pointless to do so since my 1st point in the previous post still stands.
Well "gay" is not a genre, maybe a "theme", kinda like how isekai is a theme of fantasy.

GL and BL are always counted as two distinct genres, in Japan the world of GL and the world of BL are two separate things.
@MadanielFL Bruh why are you explaining so much 😭. I meant I don't like both genre even if they are separate. If someone still wants me to pick the worst one from these two then I would pick BL. Its just that simple.

Apr 20, 2:33 PM

Nov 2017
Worst genre is subjective. Also you can find good animes in genres you dont like. I dont like watching shoujo but I liked Nana very much. So liking a series depends to genre but it is depends to the how good the anime is.
Apr 20, 2:36 PM

Sep 2018
Boys love since I actively avoid them.
Apr 20, 6:03 PM

Feb 2021
Is battle shounen a genre? If it isn't, whatever, I still don't like shows that belong in that category.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 20, 6:31 PM

Oct 2013
Harem and Isekai you say? Shocker. Also neither are genres, more like sub-genres if anything. To answer your question (sorta) , I've seen "award winning" pop up as a genre on here and that's just complete nonsense.
Apr 20, 6:51 PM

Sep 2022
The worst genre in my opinion is isekai.
Apr 20, 6:55 PM
Jul 2023
The combination of
-Isekai
-Harem
-And Ecchi

it is not obvious?

XD

More topics from this board

» Anime Dubs from early 2000's - early 2010's

EverRealm - Yesterday

8 by Zalis »»
2 minutes ago

» What is the best character of Takehito Koyasu?

Jonas-K - Sep 2, 2023

19 by Daviljoe193 »»
8 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre?

decco6226 - 1 hour ago

1 by Eleben »»
55 minutes ago

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - 9 hours ago

28 by EpicO4 »»
57 minutes ago

» Do your favorite hentai tags reflect your desires in real life?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

12 by Ejrodiew »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.