Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 14, 12:57 AM
Apr 2023
Holy moly what an episode that was if there's any thing like perfection show them this episode 😍
Apr 14, 1:22 AM
Apr 2021
Holy FUCK solid first episode and the animation was movie like quality like i wasn’t expecting Production I.G to do this justice yet they did the running scene where Kafka was running away from that Kaiju was animated so well especially when bro crashed through the window like everything about it was just eye candy man props to Production I.G ong🔥🔥🔥🔥😩
Apr 14, 1:45 AM
Apr 2018
hilarious and dramatic at the same time
recommend to watch when you have dinner
Apr 14, 1:57 AM

Apr 2023
I guess at this point one can only pray for no CG, especially when it comes to the Kaiju.

Apr 14, 2:17 AM
Apr 2015
Another garbage Shounen with strong animation
I getting bored of this industry and fans
Apr 14, 2:17 AM
Apr 2015
Apr 14, 2:28 AM
Dec 2022
Finally it is here! The preview was awhile back and now it's here. Too hyped up and it's no good if the release is not so near.
Apr 14, 2:29 AM
Dec 2022
Reply to Luk3y
Banger first episode, reminds me of Chainsaw Man
@Luk3y it does have that vibe from Chainsaw Man.
Apr 14, 2:37 AM
Feb 2022
woah this really just had a twist of turns, now to see how this story unfolds for the next 11 weeks
hope i.g production carries this well
Apr 14, 2:41 AM
Oct 2023
I want mc to raise high, the feeling of everybody ognoring makes me feel for the mc
Apr 14, 2:44 AM

Sep 2018
The best first episode of this season for me, very gripping. I love my monster flicks, this looks to be right up my alley.
Apr 14, 2:52 AM
Oct 2017
The animation is top tier and the first episode is very enjoying
Apr 14, 2:59 AM
Feb 2022
TGAvi said:

@TGAvi shut the f**k up and get the hell out of here
Apr 14, 3:11 AM

Apr 2009
a sprinkle of attack on titan, add some chainsaw man, and add the main character from mushishi.
Apr 14, 3:19 AM
Mar 2018
I thought this episode made for a very good premiere!

They did a good job of giving us a feel for the show's universe, showing us just how desensitized the public is to these kaijuu attacks. The Defense Corps are really badass, although we didn't see much of them since they were so quick to win; the tiger is my favorite, though (Mina is definitely a cat person, I take it)! The sweepers are pretty cool, too. They have a less glamorous, but equally important role.

Kafka is a nice point of entry into this world. I like his personality, and I'm curious about his past, particularly in relation to Mina. Reno quickly redeemed himself after his first scene. I hope his friendship with Kafka will be more developed, they make for a cool duo.

So, the writing was pretty good overall. The only thing I could've done without was the potty humor, but that comes down to personal preference, I guess, especially since I did like the rest of the show's jokes.

Visually, I found the show to be pretty slick, with a laid back aesthetic in the more down to earth moments, and a more sophisticated flair in the more intense ones. The action was engaging; I really liked the moment where Kafka jumped through the window, with the shards all around him. Also, I like the character design, it has a kind of nostalgic vibe, I feel.

I look forward to next week's installment! Those last few moments were pretty WTF. x)
Apr 14, 3:29 AM
Oct 2020
its so good the animation
gw dah baca sih jadi dah tau ceritanya
Apr 14, 3:30 AM

Oct 2020
That's one was fast now he's a Kaiju.
Apr 14, 4:13 AM
Apr 2020
Levi would actually enjoy being on the cleaning unit, lmao: slicing and cleaning.

I loved the first episode. It was actually better than I thought.
Apr 14, 4:20 AM

Feb 2016
Spectacular first episode. I love the animation.
Apr 14, 4:34 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
great first episode!!! i can so relate to the MC, this really resonated with me

great production and humour. you know an anime is done well when you don’t have to keep forcing yourself to pay attention

i have lots of speculations and questions but i’m sure they’ll be answered in due course! keen for more
Apr 14, 4:36 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Ricky16 said:
Man what the heck happened!!! Now he's a Kaiju.
Ooh Boi he really wanted to join defense force with her.
Hope this age relaxation would give him a last chance.
Don't miss the after credits. Man!! Now mina she's after him!!!! 😢

oh damn thanks for the tip! just watched the post-credits
Apr 14, 5:18 AM
Aug 2017
Great cliff hanger, nothing new for an episode one of an anime. Loved it!
Apr 14, 5:31 AM
Apr 2021
lezgooo kafka my goat
Apr 14, 5:36 AM

May 2021
I thought they would focus on the Kaiju or the Kaiju slayers but no, it's the clean-up crew. Though in a CSM-esque twist, one of them has become a kaiju himself. This should be interesting enough for a weekly watch.

Also, 2D Kaiju so that's a big W. Let's hope IG maintains that throughout.

Apr 14, 5:41 AM
Feb 2016
After this episode, I realized that the manga would be more interesting if they just kept it about monster cleaning. It went to shit soo fast...
Apr 14, 6:07 AM
Mar 2024
Great!! I have nice experience
Apr 14, 6:36 AM
Nov 2019
anime bagus ni, wajib di tonton
My Candies :
Apr 14, 6:39 AM
Oct 2017
The only thing I didn't like is that it stopped at a very interesting moment.
Apr 14, 6:58 AM

Dec 2023
Gave the first episode a try and it looks good so far.

Also, OneRepublic having an anime ending was not on my bingo card this year, but I'm not complaining. I like it.

Autoparts_22Apr 14, 1:52 PM
Apr 14, 7:06 AM

Jan 2018
This was a very good first episode. I didn't know anything about this series and went it blind with not much expectations. I wasn't disappointed.

I liked how the story wasn't about the guys defeating kaiju but instead cleaning up their mess. For the first episode anyway. I knew halfway through that the MC would join the demon defense force or something else would happen. I wasn't wrong. Kafka became a Kaiju himself like Eren Yeager became a titan.

Either way, the story seems interesting. Tho I wouldn't have minded if it was just about the clean-up team and them showing how hard their work is.

This was also voice actress Tarako's last role before her death. She voiced the insect kaiju near the end of the episode.

It's interesting that this has a sub and dub releasing at the same time. That's very rare. It's also on Twitter apparently. Didn't know that.
Apr 14, 8:09 AM
Dec 2023
A vibe do anime é muito boa, da vontande de assistir mais.
Apr 14, 8:37 AM

Oct 2019
poor guy trying to join defense force instead he turned into kaiju!! great first ep.
Apr 14, 8:40 AM

May 2021
My cat helped out with special effect smells while i was watching kaijuu intestine cleaning scene
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Apr 14, 8:44 AM

Mar 2009
everything worked in this episode except for the ost. it's so bad, literally anti-music
Apr 14, 9:15 AM

Mar 2014
Not too shabby I guess
Apr 14, 9:16 AM
Feb 2021
The best anime for this year maybe?
Apr 14, 9:44 AM
May 2021
first eps was peak cant wait for more
Apr 14, 10:18 AM

Apr 2012
amf85 said:
They make a huge deal about how special the third division is, but all it takes to kill the Kaiju is a single shot from a small cannon which literally anyone could do and could easily be mounted on countless vehicles. There is also no explanation for why, if single projectiles from a cannon can do that much damage, the missiles fired before could not. This did not do a good job of making the Kaijus or third division seem particularly impressive, it seems like the main characters just have inexplicable plot weapons in addition to the normal plot armor, and that these make the Kaijus completely insignificant as threats. This is classic "show, don't tell." Don't just repeatedly tell us that third division is special, show it.

It must be boring for you to be too smart to enjoy any escapism since you're too focused on logic and plot structure. I suggest you just drop this anime since it's not meant for intellectuals like yourself, and it's only for simple-minded folk like us here.

"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Apr 14, 10:34 AM
Jun 2023
Amazing start, amazing production but even more than that, Tetsuya Nishio Greatness!!!!! This anime will be amazing

Apr 14, 10:36 AM

Apr 2018
It's not a simple character design, it is just straight off lazy and inaccurate. But, it's too late to complain at this point because there's nothing you can do about it.
Everything else seems to be good from soundtrack to animation. Mina's voice actor is perfectly picked and her scenes in the first episode were amazingly done.

I remember reading the first 40 chapters out in a single night and it was the best thing I've did. I'm not really interested in Kaiju after like chapter 50-60, but I'm really excited for the first season.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 14, 10:45 AM
Dec 2023
After so much time, so many years of research, so many pleasant surprises and so much crap to watch, I finally found it. The anime that would blow my mind as much as Godzilla, Pacific Rim and Lovecraft's Chtulhu. And it was in the presence of Kaiju No.8 that I found it. But let's take it one step at a time.After so much time, so many years of research, so many pleasant surprises and so much crap to watch, I finally found it. The anime that would blow my mind as much as Godzilla, Pacific Rim and Lovecraft's Chtulhu. And it was in the presence of Kaiju No.8 that I found it. But let's take it one step at a time.

In terms of construction, we're sticking with something rather classic, especially for a shonen (a random, rather insignificant character who receives an extraordinary power and succeeds in everything afterwards). However, the initial direction taken by this one is a little different. We end up with a man in his thirties who didn't get the opportunities he wanted, and finds himself in a job he doesn't really like.

I won't go any deeper into the story, but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by this 1st episode. But what charmed me the most, by law, was undoubtedly the universe, coupled with the animation, the music and, of course, the kaiju.

We find ourselves in a universe typical of works dealing with kaiju. But Production I.G. has done a great job with the anime adaptation. The music is top-notch, and the animation is top-notch. But what really dazzled me was the kaiju animation. While I was expecting an awful 3d mess, I.G.'s art direction is simply sublime.

This 1st episode really exceeded my expectations. I can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 14, 10:56 AM
Oct 2019
The first episode is amazing, from the art and animation down to the characters. and Impersonalities... I am super hooked right out of the gate! Which is always a good sign, considering a lot of anime take three episodes to really get you into it.
Apr 14, 11:30 AM
Oct 2019
Up until recent times, English dub was unanimously known to be 100% trash. I think that is beginning to change (Thank the lords above). I am finding more and more anime with dub that are done very well to where I actually enjoy watching it Just as much as in Japanese with subs.
The problem has always been that the American/English voice actors have been completely lacking in depth and character translastion when voice acting. I feel the Japanese have always taken it more seriously than the American/English voice actors, which translates to the depth of the anime and characters as a whole. Just as in the movie industry, you can throw all the money you want in to the visual effects of a movie, but if the acting is absolute trash, the whole movie is trash too.

It is the same difference between B movie actresses and actors, and the A listers.
American/English VAs have always been B listers, if not lower, more like H or K LOL.
Up until the last few years, the only good English voice acting I've ever truly loved in anime was in Cowboy Bebop.

This is amazing news for animal lovers in general. It says that Anime voice actiung is being taken more seriously by English speaking audiences, which will translate to more revenue for the anime industry and then better funding for the artists, VAs, producers....etc.
Apr 14, 12:13 PM
Nov 2022
Good first episode, it's like chainsaw man but good.

I wasn't expecting a onerepublic song here xd
Apr 14, 12:26 PM
Jan 2017
With the success of Godzilla and the Monsterverse, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that Japan, the birthplace of the kaiju genre, would generate a show to capitalize on that new popularity.

Personally, I wasn't expecting much from this show back when it was first announced, but I decided to give it a try because I thought it could be fun, and I have to say, I'm impressed by what I watched. Instead of building up this sense of uneasiness and dread normally associated with kaiju stories, Kaiju No. 8 takes place in a world where people have largely accepted kaiju as part of daily lives, with the soldiers who fight the kaiju becoming public celebrities.

The art style is a bit too generic (sometimes the characters look like they have the same basic faces), but the kaiju designs look great. I also like the balance of comedy and drama this episode delivered, but I wouldn't be surprised if later episodes remove the comedy almost entirey as things get more serious.

I don't need every show I watch to be some kind of masterpiece that changes my life and opens my eyes to a whole new reality of storytelling. I just need them to be good stories and that's exactly what this show is, at least for now.
Apr 14, 12:35 PM

Jan 2014
When I read this manga, I thought that an anime adaptation of this is pretty much guaranteed, since the MonsterVerse going on full throttle. It's good premiere too, they didn't waste time and goes straight to introducing the premise of the show, which is a kaiju-infested world. They kill that kaiju without much of an effort since a kaiju encroachment is inevitable. We got to see how they deal with that, and what comes after the kill. Good start, man. I'M HYPED!

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Apr 14, 1:01 PM

May 2023
I loved the first episode, much better than I imagined it would be.

The end of the episode was very funny, now we have to wait and see how the story will unfold.
Apr 14, 1:16 PM

Dec 2017
Now that was way more underwhelming than I expected to be after watching the trailers...
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Apr 14, 2:12 PM
Jul 2007
What a good start, I'm super excited for the next episode.

Apr 14, 2:16 PM

May 2021
Reply to shutcardboard
@MeanEYE You have to remember that he pretty much got left behind all alone to try and pass while she was able to instantly move on emotionally it seems. He clearly would think of himself poorly, this shit is actual trauma, lol.
Didn't read the manga but from what I learned this episode she is a vile and terrible friend that went no contact with him from one moment to another and essentially showed him that he isn't good enough to be called even once a month to check on him or to tell him "do your best, I am waiting".
Seems like she wants to only have people of high status around her, more power to her, whatever. Kafka can try when he is commander or whatever it is called, kek.

Wouldn't suprise me if there is a guy in the team that she got REALLY close to that will be annoying for the remainder of the series. I like my shipping as much as anyone else but if she is gonna be super close to another dude and only will be redeemed later with "I waited so long u r finally here uwu!" when she denied his existence for so long, I pray that there is no minor romance subplot at all, lmao.

But from what I've seen you are right about that part about her being carried by op weapons and an op team. It made no sense to me that she is worshipped as a god only enabled by the plotholes you pointed out, meh

@shutcardboard it's possible they are setting up mega-tsundere. But in the end it's japanese romance, which means she's probably flipping her bean thinking of him but being too shy to look at him or say his name. Etc.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ricky16 - Apr 27

182 by Penguinu »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

deg - Apr 20

224 by G_Spark233 »»
Yesterday, 3:41 AM

» Hoshina Soshiro’s character design

FuunsaikiStar - Apr 27

9 by Anime_Skaddiel »»
Apr 30, 8:43 PM

» Wondering if the next epsiodes change up things (spicier and amazing)?

section96 - Apr 28

4 by M2X_ »»
Apr 30, 3:34 PM

» The character designs are dope.

GoatPieceLuffy - Apr 27

22 by deg »»
Apr 30, 3:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.