Forum Settings
Forums

Where all the good recent psychological anime at?

New
Mar 29, 6:33 AM

May 2023
I checked MAL and there are only like about 20 anime since 2020 that are rated 7.0+ with the psychological tag. Is it just too difficult to make good psychological anime or is it just not too popular? What’s the deal exactly?
Mar 29, 7:07 AM

Jul 2013
Try Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It is a good psychological anime.
Mar 29, 7:11 AM

Sep 2016
Perhaps many Anime don't get tagged as such because MAL currently has no definition of the psychological theme.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2004232
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 29, 7:21 AM

May 2019
There hasn't been very many in this decade.
Mar 29, 7:25 AM

Feb 2020
Unfortunately, some genres and themes have pretty much disappeared or they have become boring. Maybe this whole isekai boom is one of the reasons. People nowadays are too lazy with their writing.

True.

SerafosMar 29, 7:37 AM
Mar 29, 7:26 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
There're many hidden gems of Psychological Manga that need Anime adaptation but studios nowadays just pick up potentially profitable ones whose selling points are waifu, edgelord mc, lame comedy, etc. Those that only appeal to newcomers and easy-going fans.
Mar 29, 7:34 AM

May 2016
We are in an era of Bishoujo, Moe, Slice of Life, and Isekai/Fantasy. When we get good psychological anime most people don't watch them. They rather watch the next flashy Shounen or the next waifu bait show. That being said here are some post 2020 recommendations.

86-Eighty Six
Pluto
Vivy Flourite Eyes Song
Blue Lock

Here are some recommendations pre 2020

Houseki no Kuni (Manga)
Tokyo Ghoul (Manga)
Psycho Pass
Shinsekai Yori
Monster
Harmony
Mawaru Penguindrum
Welcome to the NHK
One Outs
Birdy the Mighty Decode (2nd season mostly)
Mar 29, 7:44 AM

Nov 2017
Creators are trying easy money making methods such as trying to make a shonen that will become very popular or making an isekai or making anime with waifus etc. Most new series are like these.
Mar 29, 9:45 AM

Oct 2020
Dude bases his opinions on MAL grades LMAO

Read light novels!
2023 Update: Do NOT read light novels. Regular novels are better. Glory to Haruki Murakami!!!
Mar 29, 9:50 AM

Jun 2019
DesuMaiden said:
Try Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It is a good psychological anime.

Yeah, but it came out in 2011, which is 13 years ago now. Which still does actually feel recent to me, but it's not exactly recent in the post-2020 sense the OP was inquiring after.
Mar 29, 9:52 AM

Jan 2021
I noticed way back that it isn't a very popular genre

ngl I would rather watch some easy to relax, way too many intense things out anyway
Mar 29, 9:57 AM

Jan 2023
Someone get the man to watch Sonny Boy.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Mar 29, 9:57 AM

Mar 2023
It's a dying genre, just like every other good anime genres out there.
Mar 30, 5:59 AM

May 2023
Reply to KietaTeenRomance
Dude bases his opinions on MAL grades LMAO

@KietaTeenRomance

Guy, I was just using the scores to showcase the consensus MAL opinions on recent psychological anime. Why people gotta be so toxic instead of just answering questions civilly
Mar 30, 6:01 AM

May 2023
Reply to Reshiram_IX
We are in an era of Bishoujo, Moe, Slice of Life, and Isekai/Fantasy. When we get good psychological anime most people don't watch them. They rather watch the next flashy Shounen or the next waifu bait show. That being said here are some post 2020 recommendations.

86-Eighty Six
Pluto
Vivy Flourite Eyes Song
Blue Lock

Here are some recommendations pre 2020

Houseki no Kuni (Manga)
Tokyo Ghoul (Manga)
Psycho Pass
Shinsekai Yori
Monster
Harmony
Mawaru Penguindrum
Welcome to the NHK
One Outs
Birdy the Mighty Decode (2nd season mostly)
@Reshiram_IX

Wow I appreciate all the nice recs! Btw I’ve watched Pluto and it was amazing
Mar 30, 6:03 AM

Jun 2019
I second Sonny Boy. It doesn't have the psychological tag, but judging by your favorites it might be worth checking out.
Mar 30, 1:08 PM

Oct 2020
Reply to Tabbs919
@KietaTeenRomance

Guy, I was just using the scores to showcase the consensus MAL opinions on recent psychological anime. Why people gotta be so toxic instead of just answering questions civilly
>Why people gotta be so toxic instead of just answering questions civilly
Welcome to the internet. You new here?

Now, seriously, your opinion is valid. I don't watch much anime these days, but I haven't heard of a good psychological anime to be released as of late. The problem is that you used MAL GRADES as an argument to say that there haven't been any good show of said genre released lately. This is ridiculous. You could mention the fact that 99% of the people who pay for anime & merch are loser ""weeaboos" who only care about "cold protags" or "OP protags" or "boobs" and that big corps like Kadokawa are overloading studios with shit anime instead of artistic shows with a good plot and argument, but instead you focus on a website that reflects the perception of a very specific group of people on the anime medium.

This ain't how you reason your thinking. Perhaps you're one of these 13-year olds who buys blu rays cuz of and boobs and isekai. Don't worry, I've been there too, but this won't change the fact that basing your opinion on MAL scores is hilarious and deserves to be laughed.
Read light novels!
2023 Update: Do NOT read light novels. Regular novels are better. Glory to Haruki Murakami!!!
Mar 30, 1:18 PM

May 2018
Simply because many anime lack this tag while it has to be there. Actually, there are a few here and there.

Mar 30, 2:20 PM

Mar 2008
Psychological is one of the genres (if you can call it that) you should mostly ignore scores. Anything not below 5 can be good. It's just often psychological stuff deals with more complicated themes sometimes or something that only certain people can relate to so you wouldnt see very high scores on most of it from people not getting it.
Mar 30, 2:42 PM
Dec 2014
Sonny Boy is by far the best anime I've seen in a while.
Mar 30, 2:49 PM

May 2018
Reply to Tabbs919
@Reshiram_IX

Wow I appreciate all the nice recs! Btw I’ve watched Pluto and it was amazing
@Tabbs919 By the creator of Pluto, there is Monster. Although anime is a bit long and slow and I would recommend to read manga instead.
Do you read manga? By the author of Pluto and Monster, there is Billy Bat. It has so many twists, topics and timestamps that you'll never get bored reading it.
Also, Oyasumi Punpun. Top 1 psychological manga. There is no way something like that will ever be animated.
One more great read is Onanie Master Kurosawa.

Mar 30, 3:16 PM

May 2023
Reply to KietaTeenRomance
>Why people gotta be so toxic instead of just answering questions civilly
Welcome to the internet. You new here?

Now, seriously, your opinion is valid. I don't watch much anime these days, but I haven't heard of a good psychological anime to be released as of late. The problem is that you used MAL GRADES as an argument to say that there haven't been any good show of said genre released lately. This is ridiculous. You could mention the fact that 99% of the people who pay for anime & merch are loser ""weeaboos" who only care about "cold protags" or "OP protags" or "boobs" and that big corps like Kadokawa are overloading studios with shit anime instead of artistic shows with a good plot and argument, but instead you focus on a website that reflects the perception of a very specific group of people on the anime medium.

This ain't how you reason your thinking. Perhaps you're one of these 13-year olds who buys blu rays cuz of and boobs and isekai. Don't worry, I've been there too, but this won't change the fact that basing your opinion on MAL scores is hilarious and deserves to be laughed.
@KietaTeenRomance

You clearly don’t understand what I’m saying and the point I’m trying to make, and that’s fine. I hope you find peace in your life because you sound angry and bitter at your core. Congratulations on seeking attention through malicious responses on the internet instead of trying to pass along happiness into the world as good people should. Happy Easter!
Mar 30, 3:19 PM

May 2023
Reply to traed
Psychological is one of the genres (if you can call it that) you should mostly ignore scores. Anything not below 5 can be good. It's just often psychological stuff deals with more complicated themes sometimes or something that only certain people can relate to so you wouldnt see very high scores on most of it from people not getting it.
@traed

Thanks for the advice! I’ll keep that in mind as I look for psychological anime in the future. Any underrated rec you have that’s flown under the radar due to score?
Mar 30, 3:21 PM

May 2023
Reply to Nemo_Niemand
@Tabbs919 By the creator of Pluto, there is Monster. Although anime is a bit long and slow and I would recommend to read manga instead.
Do you read manga? By the author of Pluto and Monster, there is Billy Bat. It has so many twists, topics and timestamps that you'll never get bored reading it.
Also, Oyasumi Punpun. Top 1 psychological manga. There is no way something like that will ever be animated.
One more great read is Onanie Master Kurosawa.
@Nemo_Niemand

Oh thank you thank you I’ll add those to my manga ptw! I’m not that big of a reader in general but I’m really trying to get into manga, so hopefully these recs help!!
Mar 30, 3:22 PM

May 2023
Reply to Nemo_Niemand
Simply because many anime lack this tag while it has to be there. Actually, there are a few here and there.
@Nemo_Niemand

Any off the top of your head that are psychological anime but don’t have the tag?
Mar 30, 4:31 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Tabbs919
@traed

Thanks for the advice! I’ll keep that in mind as I look for psychological anime in the future. Any underrated rec you have that’s flown under the radar due to score?
@Tabbs919
Many stuff rated lower it's more a personal thing since opinions start varying more frequently with anything below 7 scores so you might not like these.

I thought Night Head 2041 was pretty good. It has a low score likely for being a CGI anime even though it was not a bad use of it and because one of the main characters has an irritating personality, though his personality is needed for the plot to move so it's fine. It has a pretty good cinematic soundtrack to it.

AI no Idenshi has a low score likely because of it's mostly episodic nature and some people didn't like the art style. It doesnt entirely break new ground but it does seem to cover some things very relevant to today.

While not rated below a 7 I do think Dark Gathering is slightly underrated in score and pretty well underwatched. It is not tagged psychological but it does deal with psychological themes in some episodes further in.

Kind of hard to think of more off top of my head below 7 since I only till not that long ago started watching before scores show up and watching below 7 scores. Also doesnt help "psychological" is slightly ill defined.
traedMar 30, 4:44 PM
Mar 31, 7:08 AM

May 2018
Reply to Tabbs919
@Nemo_Niemand

Oh thank you thank you I’ll add those to my manga ptw! I’m not that big of a reader in general but I’m really trying to get into manga, so hopefully these recs help!!
@Tabbs919 Then, you can start with Onanie Master Kurosawa. It's short and easy to read.
And after all, start watching Monster to learn if you'll like it.
Nemo_NiemandMar 31, 7:58 AM

Mar 31, 7:55 AM

May 2018
Reply to Tabbs919
@Nemo_Niemand

Any off the top of your head that are psychological anime but don’t have the tag?
@Tabbs919 Honestly, I'm not sure if I perceive the term "psychological" correct.
Try these:
Odd Taxi
ACCA
Eve no Jikan
Hourou Musuko
Hana to Alice
Tamala 2010 (has the tag but completely overlooked and barely anyone knows about its existense)

More topics from this board

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 1 minute ago

0 by Spunkert »»
1 minute ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

21 by _ATG_ »»
2 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

26 by Zettaiken »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 5 hours ago

10 by _ATG_ »»
6 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

56 by Spunkert »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.