Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 27, 4:35 PM

Nov 2008
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/games/resources/productinclusion/product-inclusion-actions/help-customers-feel-seen/

Questions to Consider

• Are you telling new stories or sharing new perspectives within the product experience?
  • Do all of your characters/player depictions look the same?
  • What steps have you taken to ensure characters are represented respectfully and authentically?
  • How have you validated assumptions you have made about your audience to check for blind spots or unintended stereotypes?
  • Would you feel proud to show a member of a community how their culture/character is depicted within your experience?
  • How are the wide range of customers depicted within your products, content portfolio and communications?
  • What process have you used to validate how different groups of people or cultures are represented in your experience?
  • Are you reinforcing any negative gender stereotypes?

1. Are you unnecessarily introducing gender & gender barriers into your code or design?
  2. Are you creating playable female characters that are equal in skill and ability to their male peers. Are your female characters equipped with clothing and armor that fits their tasks? Do they have exaggerated body proportions?
  3. When the story allows, do you show male characters who display a full range of emotions, including joy, sadness, and vulnerability?

• What % of screen time (on screen presence, speaking lines, heroes) is held by different gender/racial identities?
  • Do you have a process to review key decisions with the lens of Helping Customers Feel Seen?

Mar 27, 6:15 PM

May 2013
I would be more for this if it was genuine.

It is why I appreciate smaller devs doing something like this. I do appreciate indie LGBT games, I can just get a feel for when something like this feels genuine.

That and like, for some reason these AAA games just look gross, where is the beauty in diversity? Ir should be beautiful and not ugly imo.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Mar 27, 9:43 PM

Apr 2023
Indie games do a great job with diversity, not so great with making money. If the audience for this corporate propaganda is a sweatshop full of burnt out contract labor, it doesn't hurt to remind the slaves that what they're doing is a form of communication, rather than just profit maximization. You've got to put the big corporate world into a separate box from what we see as art.
Mar 27, 10:45 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Having your story told is a universal human need

Uh, no, it isn't. Your job is not to tell "my" story, or anyone else's story, your job is to provide me with a worthwhile piece of entertainment that I would actually want to buy. Adding all these arbitrary quotas and shit about representation don't actually make the work better or worthwhile.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Mar 27, 10:59 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to DreamWindow
Having your story told is a universal human need

Uh, no, it isn't. Your job is not to tell "my" story, or anyone else's story, your job is to provide me with a worthwhile piece of entertainment that I would actually want to buy. Adding all these arbitrary quotas and shit about representation don't actually make the work better or worthwhile.
@DreamWindow 100% agreed. I think the ironic part of trying to be more realistic and inclusive, is that you end up being less realistic if you go too far in that direction. Like, I get wanting to be "represented respectfully and authentically", but how "respectfully" do you mean? Some people are just assholes, regardless of what group they belong to. Would showing that be considered disrespectful?
Mar 28, 12:29 AM

Feb 2017
The most important part that they ignore :
‣Do you know what is your target audience like and dislike?
-
-
Mar 28, 5:15 PM

Aug 2013
Salutations Super Earthling, we are honoured to bring you an interview of a helldiver:

Are you telling new stories or sharing new perspectives within the product experience? I'm frankly having a blast of a time killing bugs & robots in the name of freedom, liberty & democracy. I don't need to tell stories, my rank represents the hell I have been through.
Do all of your characters/player depictions look the same? My fellow Helldivers and I all wear helmets, males & females are fully armored so we can spread democracy in the galaxy. If we want to make children, we have to fill in the C1 documents first and request permission.
What steps have you taken to ensure characters are represented respectfully and authentically? Collaborating with the enemy is heresy and should be reported to the local autorities. We only wear our Helldiver gear as a uniform, no room for individual expressions. No rest for the wicked. We shall forever be remembered as the Emperors finest, I mean Super Earths prime force.
How have you validated assumptions you have made about your audience to check for blind spots or unintended stereotypes? Blind people cannot Helldive, for they can't accurately call in an airstrike or artillery barrage. Blind people should stay on Super Earth and support Helldivers by donating ammo and gear.
Would you feel proud to show a member of a community how their culture/character is depicted within your experience? I always take the head of the enemy back to the ship as a trophy to show my brethren in arms the achievements I have accomplished in the name of democracy.
How are the wide range of customers depicted within your products, content portfolio and communications? The war is though, but with the current gear we manage for now, luckily the ministery of arms development is always improving our arsenal by expanding our options for the battlefield. Blind people and others who are not fit to be Helldivers can always contribute by joining the research & development department.
What process have you used to validate how different groups of people or cultures are represented in your experience? An Eagle airstrike of 500kg bomb validates how we value freedom, liberty & democracy. If that doesn't work, we simply launch an ICBM... or 2.
Are you reinforcing any negative gender stereotypes? I only have time to clean my rifle and maintain my gear in mind condition during my offtime between all my dives.

Stay tuned for the second part of the interview after this break!

Welcome back for another batch of alien questions for our Helldiver!

Are you unnecessarily introducing gender & gender barriers into your code or design? The only barriers I know off, are the indestructible band of brothers and sisters fighting for liberty.
Are you creating playable female characters that are equal in skill and ability to their male peers. Are your female characters equipped with clothing and armor that fits their tasks? You wouldn't be able to tell the difference untill you hear the voice through the helmet.
Do they have exaggerated body proportions? Who? The bugs, damn sure! Especially those acid bloated balloon bugs. Do you know how hard that sludge comes of my armor?
When the story allows, do you show male characters who display a full range of emotions, including joy, sadness, and vulnerability? We brofist each other, hug each other, salute and cheer for each other. What else do you want? Traitors are shot on sight without court marshal.

What % of screen time (on screen presence, speaking lines, heroes) is held by different gender/racial identities? Between the bombs dropping left and right, lasers frying meat till a barbecue crisp and the cries of my fellow brothers and sisters, I'm just focussed on completing my task for our Freedom.
Do you have a process to review key decisions with the lens of Helping Customers Feel Seen? THIS INTERVIEW IS OVER!
When will Black Clover release new anime?! It has been 3 years already since March 2021...

More topics from this board

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

4 by DreamWindow »»
3 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

57 by DreamingBeats »»
4 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
8 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
9 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.