Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which series did you like and thought was better overall?
Mar 26, 7:09 PM

Mar 2021
Now that these two have long been over, and the hype has somewhat simmered down. Which series did you like and thought was better overall? I've always seen people comparing these two, which makes sense regarding their genre and popularity. But for me, it was never even close. Like the ASOIF books and early Game of Thrones IMO in terms of writing, worldbuilding, characters, the overarching narrative and etc. has always been better than anything AoT has ever done (even before 139).

But hey that's just my opinion, what's yours?
DOSS300Mar 26, 7:13 PM
Mar 26, 11:13 PM

Mar 2021
Aot isn't better than early game of thrones (1-4) let alone the much much better asoiaf books.
Mar 27, 12:30 AM

Jun 2016
I watched GoT right after it finished airing so I made the decision to not watch the last two seasons as I heard that everything turns to shit right there so for me GoT was a better overall package even though AoT has a lot of very strong individual moments.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 27, 12:37 AM

Mar 2024
.................both are garbage
Mar 27, 12:42 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to Za_Panda
Aot isn't better than early game of thrones (1-4) let alone the much much better asoiaf books.
@Za_Panda Yeahhh the books are so good. Hopefully George sticks the landing.
DOSS300Mar 27, 12:46 AM
Mar 27, 12:48 AM

Nov 2021
Overall, I prefer GOT excluding the last two season, but season 3 part 2 of AOT is better than season 4 of GOT in term of hype moments.
Mar 27, 1:15 AM

Mar 2023
They are both equally terrible. This is like asking what you prefer between back or neck pain. And my answer is none.
Mar 27, 1:37 AM

Jul 2014
Didn't get too far into the GoT series but read the first four books. The first three are among the greatest fantasy novels ever written while the fourth was so dull that it put me off the franchise for good.

AoT never quite reached the heights of A Song of Ice and Fire's peak, but it never bored me and was consistently great. I even liked the ending (though i heard it was executed significantly worse in the manga).
Take care of yourself

Mar 27, 2:36 AM

Sep 2016
Hard decision, I went with GoT because of Cersei.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 27, 9:16 PM
Feb 2022
Reply to ninjaberserker
.................both are garbage
@ninjaberserker Let me guess, Fate and 86 are the peak of all fiction huh

Apr 13, 10:53 PM

Mar 2024
I do not know. Both are kuso
ラーメン食いに行こうぜ~
Apr 26, 4:54 PM

Jun 2019
I remember seeing the HBO promo trailers and advertisements for Game of Thrones when it was starting in 2011. At the time I didn't start it because I was watching other shows (not anime - I wouldn't get into anime at this point for another five years) and just wasn't particularly interested in picking up a random fantasy show I didn't know much else about other than that it was based on a book series. I had never read the books. Nothing about the trailers especially stood out or grabbed me. But I started watching it right before the second season started airing in 2012. By then I guess there was more leaking of content from it onto the internet, I had seen one or two out of context clips, the infancy of its pop culture saturation trickling in, etc., so I became intrigued. I remember watching the first few episodes, then was traveling most of the year and didn't have access to a television so didn't watch most of the second season weekly, but finished it shortly after I returned home. Then I watched every subsequent season (the third season on) weekly as it aired until it ended in 2019.

What they did to the last seasons, beyond butchery - there are hardly words potent and punitive enough within the English language to adequately describe it. One of the worst betrayals of the viewership and an entire audience and fanbase of all-time. Certainly all-time in the history of television and maybe in all modern fiction as well. Just atrocious. But it cannot sully what came before. I still place Game of Thrones in my Top 10 TV Series of all time, at rank #6, just below The Sopranos and above Avatar - The Last Airbender, in a list in which I include both mediums of live action and Western animation/cartoons (but exclude most anime with the exception of one series due to its length). I just state explicitly the exclusion of seasons seven and eight from being part of that (especially season eight).

There were already some missteps and wasted or sloppily handled areas of the relaying of the story in seasons five and six. Definitely some instances of noticeably weaker writing there than what preceded it in the pinnacle of its writing in seasons 1 - 4, but there were still enough well-written enough individual scenes and moments which were emotionally resonant great payoffs and imparted that proper epic cinematic feel that I truthfully didn't care (examples of fantastic episodes and moments which made these seasons worth it would be the last two episodes of season six - BotB and WoW). Whereas with seven and eight (eight in particular), it just became too pronounced and atrocious so as to no longer be an occasional nuisance or distraction but led to total derailment.

Shingeki no Kyojin, I have a much less extensive experience with. When I began watching anime in the autumn of 2016, I watched six series from that September until the end of the year. It wasn't until 2019 I began watching series more regularly and back to back (and 2020 for some seasonals), so between all of 2017 and 2018, I only watched a small handful of series. Shingeki no Kyojin was one of those series in the summer of 2017. I liked various aspects of the first season well enough and some of its ideas and potential, but I became frustrated with the series as a whole and dropped it halfway through the second season, never to return. There I have left it.
WatchTillTandavaApr 28, 9:03 PM
Apr 27, 4:39 PM

Jun 2007
Kinda my experience as well... loved GoT. Read the books initially before the show came around, watched and liked the show, was dismayed at the bad handling of the closure. SnK seemed interesting and I liked it. I got further than second season, but ended up kinda petering out on it and never finishing it. I can't even remember what season it was, but it's never a good sign when you are halfway through a show and just never feel like watching more so I'd have to vote GoT over it heh.
Apr 28, 8:20 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to WatchTillTandava
I remember seeing the HBO promo trailers and advertisements for Game of Thrones when it was starting in 2011. At the time I didn't start it because I was watching other shows (not anime - I wouldn't get into anime at this point for another five years) and just wasn't particularly interested in picking up a random fantasy show I didn't know much else about other than that it was based on a book series. I had never read the books. Nothing about the trailers especially stood out or grabbed me. But I started watching it right before the second season started airing in 2012. By then I guess there was more leaking of content from it onto the internet, I had seen one or two out of context clips, the infancy of its pop culture saturation trickling in, etc., so I became intrigued. I remember watching the first few episodes, then was traveling most of the year and didn't have access to a television so didn't watch most of the second season weekly, but finished it shortly after I returned home. Then I watched every subsequent season (the third season on) weekly as it aired until it ended in 2019.

What they did to the last seasons, beyond butchery - there are hardly words potent and punitive enough within the English language to adequately describe it. One of the worst betrayals of the viewership and an entire audience and fanbase of all-time. Certainly all-time in the history of television and maybe in all modern fiction as well. Just atrocious. But it cannot sully what came before. I still place Game of Thrones in my Top 10 TV Series of all time, at rank #6, just below The Sopranos and above Avatar - The Last Airbender, in a list in which I include both mediums of live action and Western animation/cartoons (but exclude most anime with the exception of one series due to its length). I just state explicitly the exclusion of seasons seven and eight from being part of that (especially season eight).

There were already some missteps and wasted or sloppily handled areas of the relaying of the story in seasons five and six. Definitely some instances of noticeably weaker writing there than what preceded it in the pinnacle of its writing in seasons 1 - 4, but there were still enough well-written enough individual scenes and moments which were emotionally resonant great payoffs and imparted that proper epic cinematic feel that I truthfully didn't care (examples of fantastic episodes and moments which made these seasons worth it would be the last two episodes of season six - BotB and WoW). Whereas with seven and eight (eight in particular), it just became too pronounced and atrocious so as to no longer be an occasional nuisance or distraction but led to total derailment.

Shingeki no Kyojin, I have a much less extensive experience with. When I began watching anime in the autumn of 2016, I watched six series from that September until the end of the year. It wasn't until 2019 I began watching series more regularly and back to back (and 2020 for some seasonals), so between all of 2017 and 2018, I only watched a small handful of series. Shingeki no Kyojin was one of those series in the summer of 2017. I liked various aspects of the first season well enough and some of its ideas and potential, but I became frustrated with the series as a whole and dropped it halfway through the second season, never to return. There I have left it.
@WatchTillTandava What would your top ten TV series of all time look like? Cuz I also have Sopranos and GOT/ASOIF still in my list
Apr 28, 8:22 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Strahan
Kinda my experience as well... loved GoT. Read the books initially before the show came around, watched and liked the show, was dismayed at the bad handling of the closure. SnK seemed interesting and I liked it. I got further than second season, but ended up kinda petering out on it and never finishing it. I can't even remember what season it was, but it's never a good sign when you are halfway through a show and just never feel like watching more so I'd have to vote GoT over it heh.
@Strahan Yehh my interest during the early seasons of AOT was pretty on and off. Like don't get me wrong the show looks nice and all and the music is catchy but the overbearing focus of the plot over characters really made the cast feel flat and uninteresting. Like not even a single one of them can touch the kneecaps of like Tywin, Jaime, Ned Stark, and etc.
Apr 28, 8:58 PM

Jun 2019
DOSS300 said:
What would your top ten TV series of all time look like? Cuz I also have Sopranos and GOT/ASOIF still in my list

Interesting to know and interesting coincidence!

Keep in mind that while I allow in live action and cartoons unrestricted, I limit it to only one anime since I don't want my anime to take over half or more of the list since that would negate the purpose of a separate anime list for me, so I only allow in my #1 top anime and justified on the basis of its longer length (so in other words, close in length to some of the longer TV series).

Anyway, it's:

1.) Inuyasha
2.) Oz
3.) The Twilight Zone (original 1959 iteration)
4.) Six Feet Under
5.) The Sopranos
6.) Game of Thrones
7.) Avatar - The Last Airbender
8.) 24
9.) Quantum Leap
10.) Farscape

Game of Thrones committing suicide by poor writing in its last two seasons and season eight most of all wasn't enough to blot out all the good which had come before and so to eject it from the list, but the effect was moving it down a few slots from probably what would have been the fourth position to the sixth.

I'd be curious to know yours as well.
WatchTillTandavaApr 28, 9:06 PM
Apr 28, 11:59 PM

Mar 2021
DOSS300 said:
What would your top ten TV series of all time look like? Cuz I also have Sopranos and GOT/ASOIF still in my list

Interesting to know and interesting coincidence!

Keep in mind that while I allow in live action and cartoons unrestricted, I limit it to only one anime since I don't want my anime to take over half or more of the list since that would negate the purpose of a separate anime list for me, so I only allow in my #1 top anime and justified on the basis of its longer length (so in other words, close in length to some of the longer TV series).

Anyway, it's:

1.) Inuyasha
2.) Oz
3.) The Twilight Zone (original 1959 iteration)
4.) Six Feet Under
5.) The Sopranos
6.) Game of Thrones
7.) Avatar - The Last Airbender
8.) 24
9.) Quantum Leap
10.) Farscape

Game of Thrones committing suicide by poor writing in its last two seasons and season eight most of all wasn't enough to blot out all the good which had come before and so to eject it from the list, but the effect was moving it down a few slots from probably what would have been the fourth position to the sixth.

I'd be curious to know yours as well.
@WatchTillTandava Nice list! love how you mentioned Six Feet Under and Avatar. I also really wanna try The Twilight Zone one of these days. But anyway, for me I don't have a solid top ten TV shows list, so I tend to mix it up with my favorite anime. Only the first 3 are in order lol

1. Evangelion
2. Game of Thrones (Books included)
3. The Sopranos
4. One Piece
5. Ashita No Joe
6. Twin Peaks
7. HBO Rome
8. Mushishi
9. Serial Experiments Lain
10. Netflix Dark
Apr 29, 1:14 AM

Jun 2019
DOSS300 said:
Nice list! love how you mentioned Six Feet Under and Avatar. I also really wanna try The Twilight Zone one of these days. But anyway, for me I don't have a solid top ten TV shows list, so I tend to mix it up with my favorite anime. Only the first 3 are in order lol

1. Evangelion
3. The Sopranos
4. One Piece
5. Ashita No Joe
6. Twin Peaks
7. HBO Rome
8. Mushishi
10. Netflix Dark

Beautiful - I never thought I would see Rome and Mushishi on the same list of anything, but I can tell immediately you have taste for a wide variety of things, as do I. Rome is actually just outside my own list! Probably would be #11 if I extended it. All my close runners-up are HBO's period piece shows from the mid-2000s which were treated egregiously badly and canceled prematurely and far too early - Rome, Carnivale, and Deadwood. You should check out the other two too if you haven't already.

Also, if I similarly allowed all anime on my list unrestricted, it would probably be closer to mirroring yours in the sense that my Top 5 anime would be about half the list - probably the first half honestly, and push everything else down.

And if you ever watch The Twilight Zone at any point down the line, just keep in mind two things. One is to go for the original which aired from 1959 - 1964 and had five seasons. All in black and white. Not the vastly inferior reboots from the 1980s, 2002, and 2019 (the 2002 one is actually decent and the only other one I've seen all of all the way through, but still can't hold a candle to the original).

And the other thing is that because it's an anthology series, the plot, setting, and even characters are different every episode, so while it holds true of every series I've ever seen that there are some episodes better than others or you personally like/favor some episodes more than others, and that is true even in a serial series (where it's like one long continuing story or giant-sized movie) or episodic series (like sitcoms that have the relatively self-contained one-off plots usually resolved within an episode, but the same characters and setting and some level of continuity), this is extra true for an anthology series, because each episode is really independent of all others.
Apr 29, 4:37 AM

Mar 2021
DOSS300 said:
Nice list! love how you mentioned Six Feet Under and Avatar. I also really wanna try The Twilight Zone one of these days. But anyway, for me I don't have a solid top ten TV shows list, so I tend to mix it up with my favorite anime. Only the first 3 are in order lol

1. Evangelion
3. The Sopranos
4. One Piece
5. Ashita No Joe
6. Twin Peaks
7. HBO Rome
8. Mushishi
10. Netflix Dark

Beautiful - I never thought I would see Rome and Mushishi on the same list of anything, but I can tell immediately you have taste for a wide variety of things, as do I. Rome is actually just outside my own list! Probably would be #11 if I extended it. All my close runners-up are HBO's period piece shows from the mid-2000s which were treated egregiously badly and canceled prematurely and far too early - Rome, Carnivale, and Deadwood. You should check out the other two too if you haven't already.

Also, if I similarly allowed all anime on my list unrestricted, it would probably be closer to mirroring yours in the sense that my Top 5 anime would be about half the list - probably the first half honestly, and push everything else down.

And if you ever watch The Twilight Zone at any point down the line, just keep in mind two things. One is to go for the original which aired from 1959 - 1964 and had five seasons. All in black and white. Not the vastly inferior reboots from the 1980s, 2002, and 2019 (the 2002 one is actually decent and the only other one I've seen all of all the way through, but still can't hold a candle to the original).

And the other thing is that because it's an anthology series, the plot, setting, and even characters are different every episode, so while it holds true of every series I've ever seen that there are some episodes better than others or you personally like/favor some episodes more than others, and that is true even in a serial series (where it's like one long continuing story or giant-sized movie) or episodic series (like sitcoms that have the relatively self-contained one-off plots usually resolved within an episode, but the same characters and setting and some level of continuity), this is extra true for an anthology series, because each episode is really independent of all others.
@WatchTillTandava Mmm.... interesting aight I'd keep that in mind, The Twilight Zone always felt like the show that laid the foundation for those really weird and abstract TV. I recommend you try Twin Peaks if you enjoyed the Twilight Zone. It's done by David Lynch and just as you'd expect it's chock full of really bizarre storylines. It's not episodic but damn is it good.

Also the moment you said you also like HBO's Rome, I knew you'd mention Deadwood, which is another show I almost included on here lol. Another top quality period piece that ended too early. Haven't watched Carnivale yet tho
Apr 29, 8:20 AM

Jun 2019
DOSS300 said:
Mmm.... interesting aight I'd keep that in mind, The Twilight Zone always felt like the show that laid the foundation for those really weird and abstract TV. I recommend you try Twin Peaks if you enjoyed the Twilight Zone. It's done by David Lynch and just as you'd expect it's chock full of really bizarre storylines. It's not episodic but damn is it good.

Also the moment you said you also like HBO's Rome, I knew you'd mention Deadwood, which is another show I almost included on here lol. Another top quality period piece that ended too early. Haven't watched Carnivale yet tho

The Twilight Zone basically laid the foundation for a lot of modern television and so many different series. Even including many I haven't watched. In 2017 I attended a convention for the show in the creator's hometown and there were various guests who were people involved in the industry talking about how so many famous and well-known as well as not so well-known series after it from the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. wouldn't have existed without it. It's also good because since it's an anthology, it can play around a lot with exploring different genres. Some episodes are very Sci-Fi, some very fantasy, some horror, some lighthearted comedy, some just dramas or thrillers between a few characters with nothing supernatural involved in them.

Twin Peaks I've seen - Both the episodes from its original 1990 run and from when it came back in 2017. Yes, I agree that it's a solid recommendation for those into this kind of stuff. I also like a number of Lynchian films like Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Mulholland Drive, etc.

Carnivale is dripping with atmosphere from the 1930s Oklahoma Dust Bowl era. A great picture of the rural American south-central region at the time. The look actually reminds me a lot of the early scenes in The Wizard of Oz even though that was the turn of the 19th - 20th centuries and took place in Kansas. Just be aware that unlike Rome and Deadwood, it's also a dark fantasy and gets into a lot of religious symbolism and mythology. It's more like if Game of Thrones involved rural 1930s Americans and took place in our world instead of being a high fantasy.
WatchTillTandavaApr 29, 8:26 AM
Apr 29, 1:20 PM

Mar 2021
DOSS300 said:
Mmm.... interesting aight I'd keep that in mind, The Twilight Zone always felt like the show that laid the foundation for those really weird and abstract TV. I recommend you try Twin Peaks if you enjoyed the Twilight Zone. It's done by David Lynch and just as you'd expect it's chock full of really bizarre storylines. It's not episodic but damn is it good.

The Twilight Zone basically laid the foundation for a lot of modern television and so many different series. Even including many I haven't watched. In 2017 I attended a convention for the show in the creator's hometown and there were various guests who were people involved in the industry talking about how so many famous and well-known as well as not so well-known series after it from the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. wouldn't have existed without it. It's also good because since it's an anthology, it can play around a lot with exploring different genres. Some episodes are very Sci-Fi, some very fantasy, some horror, some lighthearted comedy, some just dramas or thrillers between a few characters with nothing supernatural involved in them.

Twin Peaks I've seen - Both the episodes from its original 1990 run and from when it came back in 2017. Yes, I agree that it's a solid recommendation for those into this kind of stuff. I also like a number of Lynchian films like Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Mulholland Drive, etc.

Carnivale is dripping with atmosphere from the 1930s Oklahoma Dust Bowl era. A great picture of the rural American south-central region at the time. The look actually reminds me a lot of the early scenes in The Wizard of Oz even though that was the turn of the 19th - 20th centuries and took place in Kansas. Just be aware that unlike Rome and Deadwood, it's also a dark fantasy and gets into a lot of religious symbolism and mythology. It's more like if Game of Thrones involved rural 1930s Americans and took place in our world instead of being a high fantasy.
@WatchTillTandava Oh that sounds really interesting.Thanks for the reccomendations. Definitely gonna try them both eventually
May 1, 6:00 AM

Nov 2019
In terms of lore and worldbuilding GoT hands down but AoT for entertainment + characters and story; AoT was just a much more enjoyable watch.
May 3, 5:37 AM

Mar 2021
Season 4 of GoT on its own is better than all of AoT, let alone the books.
May 3, 10:40 PM

Jun 2007
Reply to DOSS300
@Strahan Yehh my interest during the early seasons of AOT was pretty on and off. Like don't get me wrong the show looks nice and all and the music is catchy but the overbearing focus of the plot over characters really made the cast feel flat and uninteresting. Like not even a single one of them can touch the kneecaps of like Tywin, Jaime, Ned Stark, and etc.
@DOSS300 No doubt. Tyrion alone is superior, hehe. And poor Jaime. The writers really did him dirty in the last season. What a travesty.

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7684 by AdamBirch »»
6 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3449 by AdamBirch »»
6 hours ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

65 by tsukareru »»
6 hours ago

» Box Office Records

AcbSnakeDemon - May 14

1 by Theo1899 »»
Yesterday, 12:56 AM

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

26 by rey_n »»
May 14, 10:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.