Forum Settings
Forums

How much anime you need to watch until you can keep up with most people?

New
Mar 23, 3:13 PM

Oct 2018
I feel like I watching enough anime but I also feel it's not enough. I feel people still treat me like a normies, so how much anime I need to complete until I feel comfortable to discuss it without watching more?
Mar 23, 3:17 PM
May 2020
i have watched 288 days worth and still dont understand half the stuff people go on about so i wouldn't worry about it
Mar 23, 3:22 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
There is nothing wrong with being a normie, for me it's a good title instead :)

If you just want to discuss anime with other people, simply watch more popular anime and if you really dont want to watch more anime, I think read wiki or something but that's not recommended.

But if you ask me, just watch more anime which you think is interesting and let it flow, take it easy ^.^

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 23, 3:32 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to Rinrinka
There is nothing wrong with being a normie, for me it's a good title instead :)

If you just want to discuss anime with other people, simply watch more popular anime and if you really dont want to watch more anime, I think read wiki or something but that's not recommended.

But if you ask me, just watch more anime which you think is interesting and let it flow, take it easy ^.^
@Rinrinka the thing is, being a normie mean people will gatekeep something from you, because they don't want critic or discussion.

I don't want people to hide something from me. So I do what I can. Watching more animes, read manga, read light novel, read visual novel so they can comfortable to discuss with me without hiding anything.

Thank you for the advice though. It's really helpful for a insecure person like me.
Mar 23, 3:39 PM

Feb 2023
I have been in the anime fandom since 2014 and see so many people who got into anime at around the same time with lists that are more than twice as large. I watch anime at a very slow pace, partially because for many years, I had terrible and outdated technology that made it very hard to watch anime. I had to use a Wii U for so many years, and lots of websites wouldn't even load on it, and videos crashed and restarted a lot. I also used an smartphone and a virus-laden computer that ran at a glacial pace. I also had an anime-hating brother who I had to hide it all from, which made it so I had to time when I watched anime so he wouldn't find out.

Due to all of these factors, I had watched far fewer anime than many people over the years.
Mar 23, 3:47 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to ForgotEyeWasHere
I have been in the anime fandom since 2014 and see so many people who got into anime at around the same time with lists that are more than twice as large. I watch anime at a very slow pace, partially because for many years, I had terrible and outdated technology that made it very hard to watch anime. I had to use a Wii U for so many years, and lots of websites wouldn't even load on it, and videos crashed and restarted a lot. I also used an smartphone and a virus-laden computer that ran at a glacial pace. I also had an anime-hating brother who I had to hide it all from, which made it so I had to time when I watched anime so he wouldn't find out.

Due to all of these factors, I had watched far fewer anime than many people over the years.
@ForgotEyeWasHere I guess I lucky enough to have a decent phone in 2017. And buying a 4K TV in 2022. I also have a family who knows I'm watching anime and don't mind it. Sometime I watch with my little sister too.

I feel bad for you. I hope you can watch more anime to catch up and have the technology for it.
Mar 23, 3:55 PM

Sep 2012
Discussing anime with people is not worth it. Watch wat u like and then u can call everyone else normie for not understanding ur superior taste. thats how all the ppl that called u normie function too.
Mar 23, 4:02 PM

Oct 2023
How much you have watched has far, far less importance than what you have to say.

ForgotEyeWasHere said:
I had to use a Wii U for so many years, and lots of websites wouldn't even load on it, and videos crashed and restarted a lot.

I loved the Wii U, but you have endured a hell unknown to man.

Mar 23, 4:10 PM

Mar 2021
AdityaRizkiS said:
I feel like I watching enough anime but I also feel it's not enough. I feel people still treat me like a normies, so how much anime I need to complete until I feel comfortable to discuss it without watching more?

I am probably the biggest Normie in the community where I been watching Anime since the 80s, have been married to a wife for over 20 years, and even have a daughter likely older than most registered Users. Yet I didn't actually register on MAL as a member till 2021. I don't even really try to keep up with what is current, I simply just watch what I feel like to watch and what I want to.

MAL is not some contest. This "Comfort" you talk about is likely more based on confidence not an arbitrary number of Anime one consumes.

As long as one doesn't come across as a complete Asshole and bring to any discussion something meaningful, no one is going to give a crap how much Anime one consumes. If one doesn't already have a reputation in any community they are basically a clean slate. A position most would dream of having when Users become too toxic within a community.
ColourWheelMar 23, 4:19 PM
Mar 23, 4:16 PM

Jul 2021
You've watched 1,002 movies/shows, 152 days worth, and you consider yourself a normie? I have a loooong way to go...

I don't know what kind of people you're talking to, but have all of them actually watched more anime than you have?

Even if true, don't let them discourage you from talking about stuff you like.

No matter how much you watch, there will always be someone who watched more than you. And no matter how much you have watched, there will always be someone that you can have a nice discussion with.
Mar 23, 4:24 PM

Nov 2019
I'm baffled to think that you consider yourself to be a Normie. You've already completed 1,000 shows, which is a lot in comparison to my list. You seem to be overly concerned with statistics. Just keep an eye on what anime piques your interest and discuss it with someone else.
KushnaMar 23, 4:36 PM
Mar 23, 4:56 PM

May 2021
For some odd reason I always find the World of Warcraft example to be fitting for this - play with people who have similar goals and interest. Putting yourself in a raid group of people who are hardcore players expecting to clear content that they've mastered, and it is your first time as a casual player, well you should expect to be berated for not knowing the mechanics. Or even be completely ignored when trying to get into this type of group. Similarly with anime if you are a casual watcher (not saying you are but for the example) who has only seen certain anime, you can't expect an elitist watcher to see eye to eye with you on the subject. It's all about finding the people who are closest to you in interests and or at least have a willingness to discuss the content that is at your level.
I feel like this is relevant because anime has a long history, you will find people who have been watching since the 70's on this website. On the same note WoW is like 20 years old now, you will run into players who have been playing for 20 years. As someone who started watching / playing a few years ago, be realistic about who you can properly engage with.

As for how much anime you need to watch to reach a certain level? That is completely up to you and the people you surround yourself with. If you want to watch more anime then make time to watch more anime, but you shouldn't focus on labels like normie, elitist, etc. That sort of thing isn't going to help you progress in figuring out what kind of content you enjoy. And if you are the type to care about that sort of thing, take pride in it lol. I'll happily consider myself a normie when comparing my list to other users on this website. It's all about perspective. Above all else have fun and watch the things that you want to watch! :)

Mar 23, 5:08 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to Horizon248
For some odd reason I always find the World of Warcraft example to be fitting for this - play with people who have similar goals and interest. Putting yourself in a raid group of people who are hardcore players expecting to clear content that they've mastered, and it is your first time as a casual player, well you should expect to be berated for not knowing the mechanics. Or even be completely ignored when trying to get into this type of group. Similarly with anime if you are a casual watcher (not saying you are but for the example) who has only seen certain anime, you can't expect an elitist watcher to see eye to eye with you on the subject. It's all about finding the people who are closest to you in interests and or at least have a willingness to discuss the content that is at your level.
I feel like this is relevant because anime has a long history, you will find people who have been watching since the 70's on this website. On the same note WoW is like 20 years old now, you will run into players who have been playing for 20 years. As someone who started watching / playing a few years ago, be realistic about who you can properly engage with.

As for how much anime you need to watch to reach a certain level? That is completely up to you and the people you surround yourself with. If you want to watch more anime then make time to watch more anime, but you shouldn't focus on labels like normie, elitist, etc. That sort of thing isn't going to help you progress in figuring out what kind of content you enjoy. And if you are the type to care about that sort of thing, take pride in it lol. I'll happily consider myself a normie when comparing my list to other users on this website. It's all about perspective. Above all else have fun and watch the things that you want to watch! :)

Horizon248 said:
you shouldn't focus on labels like normie, elitist, etc. That sort of thing isn't going to help you progress in figuring out what kind of content you enjoy. And if you are the type to care about that sort of thing, take pride in it lol. I'll happily consider myself a normie when
I also consider myself as an elitist btw, since I watch a lot of anime for 8 years, picky about what anime I watch and rarely give a high score. But I'll do as you say, take pride as a normies and don't care what they say. Maybe that'll make me feel better 🙂.
Mar 23, 5:14 PM

Oct 2021
Blud has spent around 150 days watching and thinks he's a normie. What am I? A noob?
Mar 23, 5:16 PM
Apr 2014
Reply to AdityaRizkiS
@Rinrinka the thing is, being a normie mean people will gatekeep something from you, because they don't want critic or discussion.

I don't want people to hide something from me. So I do what I can. Watching more animes, read manga, read light novel, read visual novel so they can comfortable to discuss with me without hiding anything.

Thank you for the advice though. It's really helpful for a insecure person like me.
@AdityaRizkiS a quick glance at your list tells me people aren't gatekeeping you because of the quantity of things you have consumed. It is almost certainly a stance that you have that does not mix well with those who generally call others normies. Basically they wouldn't hide or feel uncomfortable talking to you about something if they felt you would be accepting of it. Increasing your quantity of things consumed from here won't change that, you passed that metric long ago.
Mar 23, 5:41 PM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
Maybe 100? Might be good number
Probably some popular old/classic anime and the newest popular animes
Ex: JJK, MHA, CSM, AOT for new animes
Mar 23, 6:07 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to Chris_Concept
Maybe 100? Might be good number
Probably some popular old/classic anime and the newest popular animes
Ex: JJK, MHA, CSM, AOT for new animes
@Chris_Concept I already watched it all. Maybe a good info for those who see this post.
Mar 23, 6:16 PM
Jan 2009
anime isn't a hobby and you should only watch good shows, not consume a lot of content just for the sake of communicating with invalids who watch 20 isekai per season

go watch Ping Pong the Animation and Tekkonkinkreet and then you can treat other people like casuals
Mar 23, 7:17 PM

May 2021
Reply to AdityaRizkiS
Horizon248 said:
you shouldn't focus on labels like normie, elitist, etc. That sort of thing isn't going to help you progress in figuring out what kind of content you enjoy. And if you are the type to care about that sort of thing, take pride in it lol. I'll happily consider myself a normie when
I also consider myself as an elitist btw, since I watch a lot of anime for 8 years, picky about what anime I watch and rarely give a high score. But I'll do as you say, take pride as a normies and don't care what they say. Maybe that'll make me feel better 🙂.
@AdityaRizkiS Totally fine and understandable. Like I said it's all about perspective and you have the best visual of yourself. What anybody else says is just an observation from their perspective. No doubt you have put up numbers over 8 years so just keep watching what you want to watch ♡
Mar 23, 8:00 PM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
AdityaRizkiS said:
@Chris_Concept I already watched it all. Maybe a good info for those who see this post.

yeah those are pretty common newer popular animes.
Mar 23, 8:37 PM

Dec 2012
Respect should be show to everyone. But in terms of experience and being knowledgeable about anime, it's all about the variety rather than the quantity. Someone whose watched hudreds of titles in only one genre wouldn't necessarily be the best source of into for everything else.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 23, 8:48 PM

Nov 2014
Being a normie is better tbh. Elitists just don't seem to enjoy anything anymore and just wants to make others feel bad for having fun. I wish I could be the former again, but age got the better of me and can't enjoy what normies like and instead comes off as an elitist.
Mar 23, 9:25 PM

Apr 2010
If we take the premise of your question seriously, then you "need" to watch as much as it takes for you to form a coherent set of qualitative beliefs which you then consistently use as a means of assessment for any show you watch going forward, i.e. your taste.

For some people it takes 30 shows, for some - seven hundred, and others never develop it no matter how much they watch, relying only on their vague erratic whimsical gut feelings.
Mar 23, 9:52 PM

Jul 2023
There is not a defined metric for the hobby/passion, nor is it a competition. Everything I've personally read and watched has made a lasting impression on me, for better or worse, as I often spend a great deal of my time dissecting literature and television that I watch, sometimes scene by scene, to better understand what I liked about it or what the author/production team was doing when they were composing a scene. It is enough for me to know that I have formed a network of correlations and associations within my collective media consumptions that I can enjoy what I enjoy while understanding why I enjoy it.

The differential factor, or bias, comes in the form of exposure: those who are exposed to more media than others, or who have watched more anime than others, will invariably have a broader spectrum for comparison than someone who has not seen so much, and so when someone declares that a new show's cast of characters are 'stock characterizations' or that the themes and concepts present in the work have been done before, or that there are a myriad of tropes being used within a work, these statements and assessments are being made based on that broad spectrum of experience.

People who watch less will be less familiar with what is commonplace in anime, and thus they will have a different set of standards that a show will have to meet in order to impress them. There is nothing wrong in this - we like what we like and tastes change over time. Statistics are arbitrary and worthless; people review works of fiction, rate them, condemn them, and praise them based upon their own standards and by doing so inform the creators of content of their general demographic and who is really looking at their work, admiring it, wanting more of it, and the like. The industry thrives off of feedback, regardless of where it hails from.
Mar 23, 9:59 PM
Oct 2019
Zero I been watching anime for 12 years (10 because of two years break) I never bothered catching up to have discussion. The medium is big enough that you don't need to watch a certain number or seasonal to get conversation ongoing.
Mar 23, 10:00 PM

Jun 2020
Bro you have a THOUSAND??? That's way more than enough

You can only ascend being a normie and into an anime elitist if you watched the Tatami Galaxy and score every popular shonen under a 3.
Mar 23, 10:09 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to Nyron
anime isn't a hobby and you should only watch good shows, not consume a lot of content just for the sake of communicating with invalids who watch 20 isekai per season

go watch Ping Pong the Animation and Tekkonkinkreet and then you can treat other people like casuals
@Nyron luckily I avoid most shitty Isekai that available nowadays. I don't have interest discussing about shitty anime.

Thank you for the recommendation!
Mar 23, 10:17 PM

Dec 2022
How many more years until you realize you shouldn't give a shit about how other people treat you? People who judge you based on how much you've watched are trash anyway.
Mar 23, 10:18 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to Dumb
Bro you have a THOUSAND??? That's way more than enough

You can only ascend being a normie and into an anime elitist if you watched the Tatami Galaxy and score every popular shonen under a 3.
Jailed said:
score every popular shonen under a 3.
I can't give show a score under 5 unless is has sex scene/implied which is a huge bummer for me. I don't mind if it's hentai though. I wish I can give score that low more freely.
Mar 23, 10:23 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to delirific
How many more years until you realize you shouldn't give a shit about how other people treat you? People who judge you based on how much you've watched are trash anyway.
@delirific I realized it a few hours ago. Thanks to comments from several myanimelist users.
AdityaRizkiSMar 23, 10:38 PM
Mar 24, 2:01 AM

Jan 2022
You have a thousand anime on your list. That's plenty enough anime (unless your list is full of nonsense). Don't be delusional and have some self-confidence.
Mar 24, 2:23 AM
Feb 2024
Over 1200 anime completed I feel like I’m reading more manga
Because of the lack of anime to watch (outside of seasonal anime)
Mar 24, 3:15 AM

Sep 2016
tf lol, you got 152 days and seriously ask this? Anyway it doesn't matter, you can discuss anytime even if it's your first anime ever.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 24, 5:12 PM

Jul 2021
Don't turn an interest into something you feel the need to measure. That's when it becomes a chore and not a hobby. You've seen some shows, you can talk to people about those. Some basement-dwellers might care if you haven't seen this or that, or if you haven't seen over 9000 anime, don't know producer x or mangaka y. Don't listen to them, it's better to be a "normie" anyway.

Mar 24, 5:18 PM

Dec 2020
Bro what do you mean you've have over 1000 completed
Mar 24, 5:21 PM
Nov 2017
You're not a normie OP, you're retarded. Or a troll (hopefully)
Mar 25, 2:54 PM

Jan 2021
you can never watch enough anime to keep up...

that's the twist I don't like
Mar 25, 2:56 PM
Jul 2018
Do you watch anime for yourself or to please a bunch of random people?
Mar 25, 3:05 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to removed-user
Do you watch anime for yourself or to please a bunch of random people?
@LittleOwlbear for myself of course. But I don't like people from the internet, for example in my Facebook, people keep saying gatekeep this, tourist that. I'm not even allowed to know about tachiyomi's new app, Mihon. I know they want to protect something, but I want to read manga comfortably too. So, I ask whether my anime is lacking or not and wondering am I deserve to be treated like that?
If I watch to please a bunch of random people that means I'll watch anime I don't like and giving it high score. But I'm not.
AdityaRizkiSMar 25, 3:17 PM
Mar 25, 3:20 PM
Oct 2014
at least 3 times number of days in anime than I have now, but I think it may still not be enough
Mar 25, 3:31 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to AdityaRizkiS
@LittleOwlbear for myself of course. But I don't like people from the internet, for example in my Facebook, people keep saying gatekeep this, tourist that. I'm not even allowed to know about tachiyomi's new app, Mihon. I know they want to protect something, but I want to read manga comfortably too. So, I ask whether my anime is lacking or not and wondering am I deserve to be treated like that?
If I watch to please a bunch of random people that means I'll watch anime I don't like and giving it high score. But I'm not.
@AdityaRizkiS

Of course you don't deserve that. People who are using terms like tourist (mostly if you raise any criticism towards fanservice scenes etc) are often quite young and / or immature, following their crowd that introduced them to these terms.

Mar 25, 3:55 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to Elitar
at least 3 times number of days in anime than I have now, but I think it may still not be enough
@Elitar I already tired with what I already watching now. Three Times than you? I don't know how many years it'll take. Maybe 50? I think it's impossible for me.
Mar 25, 5:13 PM

May 2013
Probably most of the anime in the 500 top-rated anime as well as 500 most popular anime in MAL.
LincompoopMar 25, 5:17 PM

Mar 28, 12:59 PM

Feb 2014
I wonder, do people who watch a lot of western cartoons or live action series and movies have these types of concerns?
Mar 28, 1:34 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to Punkero
I wonder, do people who watch a lot of western cartoons or live action series and movies have these types of concerns?
@Punkero I don't think so, Because I've never seen anyone annoying when I discuss Western cartoons, live action series & movies. so people who discuss all of that shouldn't have these types of concerns.
Mar 28, 7:11 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Most likely those people haven't seen as much anime as you, so you have nothing to worry about.
Mar 28, 7:27 PM

Aug 2020
Wdym "keep up"? It's not a competition, at least to me. So just keep watching what you enjoy and you'll be alright.

More topics from this board

» If your favorite anime exploded in popularity to the point that everyone in socmed talks about it, would you like it or not?

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

15 by Lhundrup »»
1 minute ago

» If MAL didn't exist

Alpha_1_Zero - 50 minutes ago

12 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

108 by Piromysl »»
4 minutes ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - 14 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
12 minutes ago

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 9 hours ago

19 by Zimmu »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.