Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 13, 10:00 AM
Dec 2022
I've been wanting to start FMA for the longest time, but I still have a question before I start it are there any major differences between this and brotherhood or are they the same just with better animation? I guess what I'm trying to say is, is there any need to watch this over brotherhood?
Mar 13, 10:13 AM
Feb 2020
This one was in the making before the manga ended so in order to finish it they had to make up things that aren't manga canon. So Brotherhood is manga canon, this stops being manga canon at one point and yea, Brotherhood is better imo
Mar 13, 10:14 AM
Oct 2023
Watch FMA then FMAB, FMAB kind of rushes the opening because it expects you have already seen the original
Mar 13, 10:19 AM
May 2022
this is better imo but brotherhood is also good
Mar 13, 10:28 AM
Apr 2022
I prefer the original much better than FMAB but both are worth the watch, watch this one first then brotherhood. The vibe is more serious/ sadder in this original
Mar 13, 10:30 AM
May 2023
Particularly FMA 2004 is better than Brotherhood, even though Brotherhood is canonical, many things clash with the original, both are rated 8 in my opinion, I believe that anyone who saw the first version should understand this feeling of "the original not being as better as the incomplete adaptation".
Mar 13, 10:45 AM
Aug 2020
they each have their merits, so ideally both (or just read the manga). but if you have to pick one, then brotherhood
Mar 13, 10:52 AM
Jul 2022
infinite_Shadows said:
I've been wanting to start FMA for the longest time, but I still have a question before I start it are there any major differences between this and brotherhood or are they the same just with better animation? I guess what I'm trying to say is, is there any need to watch this over brotherhood?

Brotherhood is “better” due to animation and that it follows the manga. While the original is 90% original since it quickly caught up with manga since there wasn’t much yet. I personally prefer the original. But others disagree.
Mar 13, 10:54 AM

Mar 2023
You can watch the 2003 version first and then you can watch Brotherhood afterwards.
Mar 13, 11:18 AM
Jun 2021
CatChud said:
Watch FMA then FMAB, FMAB kind of rushes the opening because it expects you have already seen the original

I totally agree with this. Also I feel that the original was better at building atmosphere
Mar 13, 11:22 AM
Aug 2019
OP, you should search the forum topic. Just in the time I’ve been on MAL, I’ve probably seen this topic a dozen times
Mar 13, 11:25 AM

Apr 2015
I watched FMA first and had no idea what was canon or not but still enjoyed that one too and then I started this one and loved it even more.
If you can spare the time, Watch both. Preferably FMA before Brotherhood, So you can truly appreciate the differences.
Mar 13, 12:38 PM

Jan 2013
Some of the earlier episodes in the original are better, because Brotherhood assumes you've seen FMA.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 13, 2:22 PM
Mar 2023
Brotherhood. 2003 has its merits but it does not even compare to brotherhood
Mar 13, 2:23 PM

Jan 2009
watch brotherhood instead since it follows the manga more
Mar 13, 2:31 PM
Jan 2021
infinite_Shadows said:

there are many major differences, start with this one then watch brotherhood
Mar 13, 2:59 PM
Mar 2020
This for the first like 10 episodes then switch to brotherhood and start from the beginning.
Mar 13, 3:00 PM

Sep 2008
Both for sure 😁 but I would recommend leaving a wee gap between finishing Conquerer of Shamballa and starting Brotherhood. You'd be a little worn out by Brotherhood if you go straight into after the 2003 version
Mar 13, 3:43 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Brotherhood in my honest opinion. They had to redo the entire series, because it went off track with the ending and fundamentally misses the point of Edward and Alphonse’s journey. The ending in my opinion plays a big role in the show for me so the AOE just doesn’t make sense. A lot of people seem to enjoy the 03 version which is fine, because it does start out strong, but suffers from what derails a lot of anime that quickly adapt a popular manga series before it’s finished. The choice is yours though OP. Either one is good, I just prefer Brotherhood because it’s a faithful adaptation from start to finish.
Mar 13, 6:32 PM
Feb 2016
They're basically the same different endings. One isn't better than the other unless you read the Manga. And then you care about that kind of stuff.
Mar 13, 7:18 PM

Jul 2021
Honestly I recommend watching both.

IMO Brotherhood is better, but 2003 covers the early parts of the story in more detail than Brotherhood before it deviates from the original story.

I think Brotherhood assumes you've seen 2003 and tries to get through what that covered as fast as possible.
Mar 13, 7:27 PM
May 2022
Worth watching both. Both have different strengths
Mar 13, 7:29 PM
Dec 2022
T3NLTD said:
Honestly I recommend watching both.

IMO Brotherhood is better, but 2003 covers the early parts of the story in more detail than Brotherhood before it deviates from the original story.

I think Brotherhood assumes you've seen 2003 and tries to get through what that covered as fast as possible.

What episode in particular does it start to deviate?
Mar 13, 8:17 PM
Jul 2023
the original is good, but Brotherhood is a much more faithful adaptation of the manga. the animation, pacing, and music are all way better and it expands on the content of the original. 2003 FMA has its own completely original ending, and I think it's inferior to what Brotherhood was able to accomplish.

for those interested in where it divests, watch 2003 FMA until around episode 20, then switch over to Brotherhood. the original deviates from the manga when Edward and Alphonse enter the laboratory. once you get to that point, switch over to Brotherhood and watch from the beginning. the first few episodes are basically recap of 2003 FMA, but it assumes you've already seen the original.
CayusashiMar 13, 8:20 PM
Mar 13, 9:42 PM
Feb 2021
2003 hits me harder emotionally
Mar 13, 10:03 PM
Dec 2015
I watched 2003 first. I think it was a waste of my time.
It's a brave move to adapt a darker version of the intended story but the ending just didn't satisfy me at all. The follow up movie is nice tho.

Brotherhood is better. You can watch 2003 afterwards as an alternate timeline.
Mar 13, 10:58 PM

Sep 2014
there are some world building aspects in fma 03 that I think are so cool. i.e. the movie (conquerer of shamballa) that follows it. there are also just entire characters that don't exist in brotherhood that do in 03 that I genuinely enjoy. I don't recommend watching brotherhood then 03 because the animation is much different quality and 03 is paced a bit slower, so it becomes difficult. plus brotherhood has a bunch of stuff it assumes you've seen from the original. the original has a very special place in my heart and I really think it is top tier, despite the changes they made. for it not following manga material it is still PHENOMENAL.

forgive me for the edits I'm so tired
Mar 14, 2:15 AM
Aug 2020
This for sure. Much better in almost every way :)
Mar 14, 3:35 AM

Apr 2016
Best experience of the series is FMA then FMAB. This was actually the intended experience, I believe, based off how Brotherhood approached the beginning. There was clearly the expectation that fans had already seen the first anime (which, in fairness, at the time, most fans had given the two anime were only a few years apart). You can stop when you get to the anime original content of FMA if you’d like, but the beginning of FMA is far better than Brotherhood. When you finish FMA content you can go to Brotherhood for the rest of the story.

Imo FMA is the better version. And I say that as someone who came into Brotherhood first. I just prefer the tone more in 2003. I’m also one of the fans who liked the 03 movie ending. I found it very fitting for the brothers idea. Still, I watched them together and I think that’s the best experience of the franchise.
DarkConan1412Mar 14, 3:55 AM
Mar 14, 4:32 AM

Jun 2021
I'd say watch FMA first, then FMAB with some time gap (don't watch both of them back to back, you'll get bored)

If you are picking one of the two, I'd say FMAB (it's more true to the manga plus the better animation ig)

I watched FMA a few years ago, and I know FMAB is better because literally everyone says so, but FMA was good too in my opinion. I'll watch FMAB someday when I'll have forgotten most of FMA
MickeyMinajMar 14, 4:39 AM
Mar 14, 12:00 PM

Apr 2016
brotherhood is the original story
Mar 14, 3:37 PM
Jun 2021
FMAB is probably better, but ngl this is really amazing too, definetly watch it if you end up liking brotherhood, infact it has an even better ending than brotherhood imo
Mar 14, 3:44 PM

May 2014
Reply to DarkConan1412
Best experience of the series is FMA then FMAB. This was actually the intended experience, I believe, based off how Brotherhood approached the beginning. There was clearly the expectation that fans had already seen the first anime (which, in fairness, at the time, most fans had given the two anime were only a few years apart). You can stop when you get to the anime original content of FMA if you’d like, but the beginning of FMA is far better than Brotherhood. When you finish FMA content you can go to Brotherhood for the rest of the story.

Imo FMA is the better version. And I say that as someone who came into Brotherhood first. I just prefer the tone more in 2003. I’m also one of the fans who liked the 03 movie ending. I found it very fitting for the brothers idea. Still, I watched them together and I think that’s the best experience of the franchise.
@DarkConan1412 I agree with everything here. Too many people now skip this series and go straight to Brotherhood and whilst I can understand their line of thinking, it means they miss out of some quality anime. I find FMA superior in pretty much every aspect, be it animation, story, music etc, but I'm still a fan of both versions.

Best order is always to watch FMA, maybe have a break and then watch Brotherhood. Both series are worth your time and have their own unique strengths.
Mar 14, 5:40 PM
Nov 2019
Both are great. The Original is a lot more slow paced compared to Brotherhood but honestly it has a way better start imo. Brotherhood is overall the better show plus it’s more faithful to the manga but the way I watched it was the original and then Brotherhood (unpopular route I know) but if you just want to get into the main story quicker then I recommend watching Brotherhood first.
Mar 15, 9:45 AM
Jul 2022
This one was better directed. The scenes are stronger but the ending is bad. FAB had a good ending.
Mar 15, 12:17 PM
Jun 2020
CatChud said:

this is the only correct answer
Mar 19, 10:27 PM
Sep 2013
In my opinion, 2003 did a better job of adapting the source material than brotherhood did (until it diverged ofc). I think if the team that worked on 2003 ended up adapting the entire manga had it been released, it would end up surpassing what brotherhood did. The darker/somber tone, the directing, the slight retouches on the source material - 2003 nailed this in its first 25 episodes.

Edit:As for the watch order, start with 2003, then watch the conqueror of shamballa (movie sequel of 2003) and finish it off with brotherhood (I don’t remember the exact number of episodes, but you can skip at least the first 13 episodes of brotherhood cause it re-adapts what 2003 adapted in a more rushed way).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.