Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 10, 2:41 PM

Mar 2021
I'm leaving this here in hopes of saving someone out there some time. There is zero romance in this show, not even subtext worthy of mentioning (1Ep and one 10sec conversation isn't subtext). There's zero actual romance. It's 100% slice of life and mystery. If there were a S2 I could see romance being a thing but that's not likely to happen at this point considering the light novel is incomplete and been on unofficial hiatus since 2016 (Anime ends on book 5, there's 6 novels with no resolution on anything). I'd find this hard to recommend for anyone tbh, but the show has 3 good points: The characters are pretty likable, it is beautiful to look at, and the music's nice.
Mar 10, 2:53 PM
May 2023
I’m saying this in the most respectful way possible, but it’s been 12 years. We know, the tags know too, and about 1.3 million of us know

Also there’s not gonna be a season two
SenshadouOtakuMar 10, 2:57 PM
Mar 10, 2:59 PM
Oct 2019
You clearly watched the show blind because between Mayaka and Satoshi is definitely romantic subtext. As for Houtaru and Eru it's at least on what is shown at least one sided on Eru side or at least make to believe it's that way.
Mar 10, 3:02 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to SenshadouOtaku
I’m saying this in the most respectful way possible, but it’s been 12 years. We know, the tags know too, and about 1.3 million of us know

@SenshadouOtaku I didn't know, never watched it or read into much BUT you're right, no romance tag. Last time I was considering watching this show the tags did say romance (found it doing an anime search with romance as a keyword). Also, many, MANY places online still have this listed as a romance anime so I'll leave this post up as not everyone trusts MAL's tags (I've been burned too many times to count by them).
Mar 10, 3:10 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Otakupervert890
You clearly watched the show blind because between Mayaka and Satoshi is definitely romantic subtext. As for Houtaru and Eru it's at least on what is shown at least one sided on Eru side or at least make to believe it's that way.
@Otakupervert890 As I said, 1 ep out of 22 and one passing conversation that lasted 10 seconds is barely subtext. It's so little I wouldn't call it subtext at all. That's like saying That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime is a slasher horror flick because Rimuru got isekai'd by being stabbed in EP1 and mentions it a few more times later...there's just not enough there to justify calling it romance anything.
Mar 10, 3:43 PM

Jul 2015
There is some romance between Mayaka and Satoshi, so that's where you're wrong.
Oreki is also crushing on Eru, which is entire reason he always musters the effort to follow through with her curiosity.

Mar 10, 3:47 PM

Apr 2021
KainiusTheGreat said:
I'm leaving this here in hopes of saving someone out there some time. There is zero romance in this show, not even subtext worthy of mentioning (1Ep and one 10sec conversation isn't subtext). There's zero actual romance. It's 100% slice of life and mystery. If there were a S2 I could see romance being a thing but that's not likely to happen at this point considering the light novel is incomplete and been on unofficial hiatus since 2016 (Anime ends on book 5, there's 6 novels with no resolution on anything). I'd find this hard to recommend for anyone tbh, but the show has 3 good points: The characters are pretty likable, it is beautiful to look at, and the music's nice.

Why did you think this was necessary?
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Mar 10, 3:53 PM

Mar 2013
I would call it admiration but romance? I don't think so... not yet anyway. 😖
If only we can get a sequel.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Mar 10, 5:30 PM
Nov 2018
The tags for this anime is Mystery, School and Slice of Life. Of course there isn't any Romance.
Mar 10, 5:55 PM

Dec 2021
A Slice of Life does not necessarily need Romance.
Mar 10, 6:03 PM
Dec 2019
Why do people list this in romance anime lists when there’s no romance? That’s a better question 6/10 for clickbait
Mar 10, 7:22 PM

Jul 2019
You can read it as the romance within the subtext.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Mar 10, 7:40 PM
Mar 2023
KainiusTheGreat said:

Those three points are three incredibly compelling points, tho.
Mar 10, 7:40 PM
Mar 2023
KainiusTheGreat said:

Mar 10, 7:42 PM
Nov 2023
KainiusTheGreat said:

It just all about the anime luck bro ....romance subtexf was fully provided in the later novel volume ....like it was a really gradual happening but after the down time of the studio and death of many staff it is still un completed so i don't think it will ever get a season 2 but still it has a good place in my heart!
Mar 10, 7:44 PM
Nov 2023
SenshadouOtaku said:

Yes you are right about it ......There is litterally so much time had gone by we can't expect anything at this point but A little hope is there for season 2 in later years if LN is completed or so but that too is not happening !! 😅
Mar 10, 8:22 PM
Mar 2023
KainiusTheGreat said:

Mar 10, 8:55 PM
Jan 2023
Yeah, it's has less romance but not NO romance. I watched this show for mystery and chitanda moments. If you came here for romance than it's not right choice for you but still you should try bcuz it's an unique peice of Anime. well Hyuoka left us some unsolved mystery that will make you starve for next season which I don't know will get or not🙁
Mar 10, 8:59 PM

Jan 2024
i dumped the show 😅
Mar 11, 12:16 AM

Jan 2020
There’s no romance, but there’s romantic subtext.

Also, there’s no Romance tag whatsoever, so there’s that.
Mar 11, 2:53 AM

Jan 2020
Hyouka is an anime mostly about mystery, so there isn't any romance. There are (of course) some subtle romantic elements and that's all this series can offer.
RaiYouMar 11, 6:39 AM

Mar 11, 5:26 AM
Jun 2023
I did initially started watching Hyouka because I'm all for romance, that's like my favorite genre, and I pretty much only watch shows that has a romance tag in the description, and since the show didn't had that tag, I was bit hesitant to start watching. But I was pretty satisfied with how the show went, I was kinda hoping for a SNAFU type ending, but the ending for Hyouka suits well with the overall show. We can all assume what the future may hold. If a season 2 ever happens (probably not, but wishful thinking lol) I hope there is more development between Oreki and her.
Mar 11, 5:48 AM
Oct 2021
Otakupervert890 said:

I agree and the ending of season one 100% built a season 2 romance we just never got it 🫤
Mar 12, 4:30 AM
Nov 2017
Youre right, its a mystery-SoL anime.
Im glad they didnt dive any further with the romance sub-plot, its more than enough for me.
Mar 14, 11:39 AM
Apr 2023
Thanks brotha all these nerds and their romantic subtext bullshit doesn’t count
Apr 13, 12:48 PM
Jan 2014
Thanks for the info, I was wondering about that despite it not being mentioned in the tags. Gonna look for something else.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.