Forum Settings
Forums

Nintendo sues Switch emulator Yuzu for ‘facilitating piracy at a colossal scale’

New
Feb 28, 6:03 AM

Jan 2009
Nintendo isn’t alleging Yuzu stole the keys — but says it’s all about piracy.

If you’ve ever seen a Steam Deck playing a Legend of Zelda game, chances are you were seeing the Yuzu emulator at work. Now, Nintendo has sued the developers of Yuzu in US federal court, with the intent of squashing Yuzu for good.

In the lawsuit, spotted by Stephen Totilo, Nintendo alleges that Yuzu violates the anti-circumvention and anti-trafficking provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) as well as accusing the creators of copyright infringement. It alleges Yuzu is “primarily designed” to circumvent several layers of Nintendo Switch encryption so its users can play copyrighted Nintendo games.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/27/24085075/nintendo-switch-emulator-yuzu-lawsuit

damn emulators enabling piracy is true though not gonna lie but lets see the future of emulators because of this
Feb 28, 8:36 AM

Apr 2016
To be fair, there's still ryujinx so not all hope is lost. Or maybe nintendo is doing this to deter all emulators on the switch.
Feb 28, 8:43 AM

Sep 2018
Emulation and piracy is not going down for any company. I doubt even if Nintendo can win this case. Even if yuzu magically disappears which is near impossible we still got Ryujinx for Switch. Nintendo always shuts down their stores so I side with cfw and piracy. Love my luma 2ds.
Feb 28, 12:30 PM

Jun 2008
Welp, Nintendo just being Nintendo again.
Feb 28, 1:08 PM

Apr 2012
When deciding who to buy media entertainment from, it's best to direct your disposable income towards companies which don't sue hobbyists like this.
Feb 28, 1:32 PM
Author & GameDev

Sep 2008
Nintendo being typical Nintendo. I own 5 Nintendo Switches and like 45 games. Don't have a need for an emulator but who are they to tell me I can't use one if I want too, especially if I already own the content I am emulating.
🌟 Embracing the boundless worlds of anime, one episode at a time. 🌟
Add me to chat, would love to talk about anime, games or just life! Discord ID: TheKoricy
Feb 28, 11:18 PM

Jun 2016
There is legal precedent for the legality of emulators and clean room reverse engineering although I haven't seen anyone go for the encryption method yet.
Nintendo's goal is probably to intimidate even though the case doesn't seem in their favor given previous cases and hopefuly (for them) taking down the other decent Switch emulator in the process.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 29, 9:30 AM

May 2019
Either way the verdict for this suit will set a precedent for all suit of similar situations that follow.
Feb 29, 11:44 AM

Oct 2018
Typical of Nintendo, but maybe they should concentrate on creating a console worth buying, and not ripping their customers off with a crappy paid online service. They make great games, but unfortunately they're on Nintendo consoles.

Edit: It is ethical and morally righteous to pirate Nintendo games.
Mar 1, 7:08 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013

@deg @tchitchouan
The precedent was already set over two decades ago. Emulators are legal, but copyrighted bios and roms are not.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Mar 1, 7:16 AM

May 2019
Reply to DreamWindow

@deg @tchitchouan
The precedent was already set over two decades ago. Emulators are legal, but copyrighted bios and roms are not.
@DreamWindow The Sony lawsuit never truly solidified the legality of emulators and the sum of its potential copyrighted parts needed for software to run.
Mar 1, 10:01 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to Alita
Typical of Nintendo, but maybe they should concentrate on creating a console worth buying, and not ripping their customers off with a crappy paid online service. They make great games, but unfortunately they're on Nintendo consoles.

@Alita let's be honest, they could make the best console there is at a reasonable price. people would still pirate the shit out of it.
and while emulators are technically not illegal, let's not kid ourselves. the overwhelming majority use emulators to play pirated games.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Mar 1, 2:41 PM

Oct 2022
Well, to be fair... it is kind of their right to call it "piracy" or whatever, you are certainly not going to build a chip reader to buy games, and the Nintendo Shop is not available on PC. If they where issuing BIOS with it, then I think they can be fucked up, so lets hope they didn't, so the project can keep on.

And about Nintendo... this is their usual shit: use their legal team to strike anything that threats them. I honestly don't understand them, they could have taken the whole mobile market but they haven't done anything to consolidate their territory, and then Valve launched the Steam deck that open the game to other PC based software. This is probably because they already tasted the sweet money of smartphone market, I don't think they will return anytime soon.
Mar 1, 3:26 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to DreamingBeats
@Alita let's be honest, they could make the best console there is at a reasonable price. people would still pirate the shit out of it.
and while emulators are technically not illegal, let's not kid ourselves. the overwhelming majority use emulators to play pirated games.
@DreamingBeats
They could, hypothetically, but they won't. And yeah you're right, many people will still pirate no matter what. I will pirate Nintendo games cause you can very easily have a better experience pirating their games on PC, upscaling the resolution and reaching higher framerates, and you can do it for free... It's a no-brainer. For example I'd rather play BOTW at 1440p 60fps than 1080p with an inconsistent 30fps, it's their own fault for releasing a console so underpowered it can be emulated easily by fairly low end PC hardware. Their treatment of their retro library is particularly bad too.
On the other hand, I don't really bother with pirating PC games, I'm fine with buying them on steam since its a relatively decent platform. The only performance gains you'd possibly see from pirating is due to the removal of DRM which can reduce performance. So while there are people who are just gonna pirate everything they possibly can, there are still people like me who simply dislike Nintendo's consoles or their business practices.
Mar 1, 5:48 PM

Aug 2020
Reply to Alita

Love it when people parrot shit because a defunct dev gone streamer/youtuber said so.
Keep scrolling
Mar 1, 11:41 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to RobertsahDHDA
Love it when people parrot shit because a defunct dev gone streamer/youtuber said so.
@RobertsahDHDA
What the fuck are you talking about?
Mar 2, 12:35 AM

Jun 2016
Reply to RobertsahDHDA
@RobertsahDHDA I don't know who this streamer guy is but I don't think it's an unreasonable opinion to hold.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 2, 5:23 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to tchitchouan
@DreamWindow The Sony lawsuit never truly solidified the legality of emulators and the sum of its potential copyrighted parts needed for software to run.
@tchitchouan

Yes, it did. It determined that emulators in of themselves are legal to distribute, but it established that copyrighted files (such as BIOS files and software) are not. This is why you can find people distributing emulators, but saying that you need to dump the BIOS files yourself, because it's not legal for them to distribute them. It's been like this for a long time.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Mar 2, 5:31 AM

May 2019
Reply to DreamWindow
@tchitchouan

Yes, it did. It determined that emulators in of themselves are legal to distribute, but it established that copyrighted files (such as BIOS files and software) are not. This is why you can find people distributing emulators, but saying that you need to dump the BIOS files yourself, because it's not legal for them to distribute them. It's been like this for a long time.
@DreamWindow So basically Nintendo's argument is not about the legality of the emulator rather it's about the tools that the devs gave to dump a switch's bios and copyrighted authentication keys.
Mar 2, 5:52 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to tchitchouan
@DreamWindow So basically Nintendo's argument is not about the legality of the emulator rather it's about the tools that the devs gave to dump a switch's bios and copyrighted authentication keys.
@tchitchouan

Yeah basically. I don't think they would have much ground to stand on otherwise.

Mar 4, 10:07 AM

Oct 2018
Update:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/switch-emulator-creator-settles-nintendo-lawsuit-for-2-4m/

There was a settlement of 2.4 mil (USD) and the creators can no longer offer Yuzu.

Hopefully this won't affect older emulators (such as DesMuMe, Dolphin, etc.)
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Mar 4, 10:10 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Fleeting_Dream
Update:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/switch-emulator-creator-settles-nintendo-lawsuit-for-2-4m/

There was a settlement of 2.4 mil (USD) and the creators can no longer offer Yuzu.

Hopefully this won't affect older emulators (such as DesMuMe, Dolphin, etc.)
@Fleeting_Dream nintendo won again
Mar 7, 6:44 PM
Mar 2017
1.No mention of keys? If was sure but no one seems to say so well in articles or videos so I just get annoyed. Give us a straight answer. But I assume so due to the settling. That and others have moved it to other places anyway. Also happens.

And yes Ryujinx exists.

2.Competition to Nintendo because they exist or because of being a current system still on the market then others. Them shutting them down to save themselves makes sense still unfortunate company bully people like that.

3.Emulators for archives, documenting, prototypes, homebrew, hardware education I think is valid. For piracy yeah I totally get that. Same with R4 cards or the Mip Switch or whatever it was called.

4.If PS2/3 or Xbox One can have dev mode or Linux/Other OS. Why not. I know Nintendo won't. For the sake of this WHAT IF, if they can be set into experimental mode or whatever and retail mode/retail systems and a small batch are experimental, if people hack the retail ones then they cross the line I see that as fair.

5.Official emulation has restrictions of licensing as well as time people have to work on them. Fan emulators don't have that, same with modding, many games can be lacking, mods fixing bugs, change things people want that devs don't, add more content that is useful or useless. Innovation sure, so having less games than before, offering fixes, offering prototypes and more.

Companies want control, fans don't have control they do what they can where being at an actual job means they have more restrictions and limits/rules to follow, deadlines to do things. People outside a job don't have that set of expectations on them.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nintendo the rising king of console industry!?

rohan121 - Yesterday

5 by RobertsahDHDA »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » Which laptop should I go for?

Teckmeister - Yesterday

8 by wizdom224 »»
3 hours ago

» What was the very first video game you ever played? As well your first game console?

Kazeninjaryu1 - May 5

18 by Coaghim »»
9 hours ago

» GTA V vs GTA IV

tectacles - May 2

13 by Euroqean »»
11 hours ago

» your video game waifu or husbando

deg - Yesterday

6 by Otakupervert890 »»
Yesterday, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.