Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 28, 12:27 PM

May 2014
I do agree, the current arc is my least favourite for sure. I was hoping the exam would be done in a time skip.
Jan 28, 12:59 PM
Nov 2018
The problem with this arc is that Frieren doesn't show her dislike for this kind of thing. It's disrespectful towards her and also a waste of time and lives of very talented people. She did say some stuff about it but not enough.
Jan 28, 2:43 PM

Apr 2012
Penteano said:
The problem with this arc is that Frieren doesn't show her dislike for this kind of thing. It's disrespectful towards her and also a waste of time and lives of very talented people. She did say some stuff about it but not enough.

It's not about it being disrespectful to her. It's more about being unnecessary for her to partake in since, according to her, it is just a "title" and status she doesn't really care for.

Until....
She was made aware of the privilege being the 1st class mage would receive. She didn't know that becoming the 1st class mage would get any spell of her choice. Now, she has something to aim and fight for.

You know, for a fact, Frieren is willing to work for a tome/spell no matter how long or how ridiculous it would be. She'll definitely fight for a spell she'd want.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jan 28, 4:19 PM

Aug 2020
I don't really care what kind of approach the show takes but this Frieren's exam arc is just meh.

And talking about ratings i actually don't think this show is anywhere beyond 8/10 itfp.
Jan 28, 5:49 PM
Mar 2022
This arc is good. Indeed, it is necessary as it bridges the earlier arcs and the later arcs.

Recall the theme of Frieren’s new journey: to understand more on human, and to repeat the past journey in hope to reach heaven to chat with Himmel.

In order to repeat the journey, they have to pass through the Northern Highlands by lands, which requires 1st class mage as companions (ep11). There are sea route to by-pass or to hire a 1st class mage, both are expensive and Fern complaining no more snacks (ep18). Then they have to join the exam.

Dealing with challenge is also a part of life. The story gets this point and there is no contradiction on putting Shounen fighting in slice of life.

Indeed, Frieren has strong intention to go by land which will be revealed in the later arcs.

After this arcs, Frieren’s party gains friendship, definitely a slice of life theme, with both participants and examiners. I can ensure you that no human is killed by human in this arc, as revealed in ep 20.

Some friends is yet meet again, and some friends become the main characters in the later arcs in which Frieren’s party will collaborate with.

And for understanding more on human:

This arc also makes a strong contrast between demons and human in terms of language. We know that demons use language to deceive human, in order to kill them. Demons do not know the meaning behind the language. In contrast, human uses language to communicate, to negotiate, and lie - in order to save other human, as shown in ep20.

Moreover, for human characters, even they look bad, they have a back story for their personality, and indeed not so evil as we think. Demons do not have such back story. We do not know why Aura becomes Aura. The story has defined demons are born to evil.

Ep20 reveals the back story of Wirbel, the story of Denken will be revealed.

This arc is important. It is the bridge to further develop the story.
sdyeungJan 28, 6:22 PM
Jan 28, 5:58 PM
Mar 2022
Reveal in ep18, Frieren does not want to take part in the exam. She has the reason. Just Fern pushes her.

Somehow Frieren joins the exam to see if she can assist Fern, even though she knows Fern has the ability to pass the exam. They still have the contingency plan to travel by sea although Fern will complain of no more snacks.

Frieren is definitely overpowered and does not need the honour of 1st class mage. Somehow, she continues to exam is to help to train up the future mages. Hinted on ep18 and Will be revealed in ep21.
sdyeungJan 28, 6:27 PM
Jan 28, 6:20 PM
Sep 2008
Basically if you manifest any concern or issue with the serie you are calling for the fandom to emphazise how for them everything in it is an 'epic flawless masterpiece' and insult your persona. (A SNK deja vu)
Jan 28, 7:12 PM

Sep 2018
It's fun. This show has a little bit of everything, it's like a jack of all trades. Reminds me of Raildex S3 in that regard.
Jan 28, 7:29 PM
Jan 2024
I didn't expect an arc like this for this anime, but that's a good thing, that being said... I hope this arc ends in the next episode, I don't feel like they have much to take out of it anymore
Jan 28, 7:49 PM
Mar 2022
Reply to FreedomKME
The problem with the arc is that is taking screen time away from Frieren, Fern and Stark.
@FreedomKME As a group, the other characters are either companions or opponents of the group in which Frieren and Fern are in.

They are the group. Able to work as a group is also the quality required for 1st class mages. This is also the key of 2nd exam.

Therefore, the story of other characters enriches the story. The key characters have the own personality, and they may meet again in later arcs.

Be a group
Jan 28, 7:49 PM
Mar 2022
Reply to FreedomKME
The problem with the arc is that is taking screen time away from Frieren, Fern and Stark.
@FreedomKME As a group, the other characters are either companions or opponents of the group in which Frieren and Fern are in.

They are the group. Able to work as a group is also the quality required for 1st class mages. This is also the key of 2nd exam.

Therefore, the story of other characters enriches the story. The key characters have the own personality, and they may meet again in later arcs.

Be a group
Jan 28, 8:03 PM
Mar 2022
Reply to Janethan23
Penteano said:

It's not about it being disrespectful to her. It's more about being unnecessary for her to partake in since, according to her, it is just a "title" and status she doesn't really care for.

Until....
She was made aware of the privilege being the 1st class mage would receive. She didn't know that becoming the 1st class mage would get any spell of her choice. Now, she has something to aim and fight for.

You know, for a fact, Frieren is willing to work for a tome/spell no matter how long or how ridiculous it would be. She'll definitely fight for a spell she'd want.
@Janethan23 Nope, ep21 will tell, definitely not. Frieren knows Serie well.

Ep21 is the first climax of this arc.

I read the manga and I know the development of this arc.

I find that my understanding of 1st exam is completely wrong when I read the chapter related to ep21. Then I discover the true value of this arc in the setting of this story.

At the conclusion of this arc, I find the meaning of the arc is broad and meaningful, just make me to rethink, even related to the life of reality.

This arc will tell, Frieren does have flaws in magic, and the true strength of Fern.

— the age of human mages has come.

This arc has 3 climaxes.
1st exam is just an introduction.

The weakness of this arc of original manga is the fighting scene. The anime prefects it, meanwhile faithfully presenting the story and the meaning in an even more organised way.
sdyeungJan 28, 8:17 PM
Jan 28, 8:38 PM
Mar 2022
Indeed this arc will tell, Frieren is not as over powered as we think. Frieren’s magic does have weakness (other than Mimic), and “Frieren” can be defeated.
Jan 28, 9:44 PM
Oct 2012
It's not so much the structure, but the quality of the supporting cast that I found problematic.

The fight against Aura and her minions proved highly engaging because the underlying narrative. It showed us the very nature of Frieren's magic and how Fern interpreted her teachings.

Ubel and Wirbel took up considerable amount of screen time in episode 20, but Ubel was not that interesting. Despite the build up, I do not feel that the visual representation really demonstrated how dangerous her spell was. Wirbel, described as crafty by his teammate, used half the episode to cast one spell. His background, though interesting, did little to explain his behaviour during the conflict. Their encounter, from start to finish, was unsatisfying.

The only good support character was Denken and by the time he was ready to put his plan into action, the credits roll. It's been too long since I read the manga but I do hope this battle delivers (and I'm fairly certain it will).
Jan 28, 10:01 PM
Apr 2021
I feel like the arc has been solid, but with a premise and narrative with as much potential as Frieren’s, I agree with you that it feels sort of out of place.

With a show that started out with those captivating time leaps, slowing down for an exam arc the way it has feels like an odd decision. Idk, the quality of the episodes still remain really really good, so I’ll continue to let the staff/creator cook.
Jan 28, 10:45 PM

Mar 2016
I honestly think it's a necessary arc to establish more on the world of Frieren, considering the amount of necessary context that was given regarding the role and position of mages in this series and why having first-class privileges is considered a big deal, as well as recontextualizing Frieren's character more (in a good way) in that she's not necessarily the strongest individual around, considering she mentioned having been beat several times before, six of those by humans, interestingly enough. It's also more setup for some upcoming arcs to come, which unfortunately won't be covered by the adaptation this season, it seems. It's subjective as to whether or not it needed to be implemented this early on or much later, but I honestly think these occasional changes of pace are necessary cause the narrative can get too stagnant if it stuck too much to the episodic-esque ventures, as much high value as the little nuggets of wisdom that come with those segments are. If it wasn't for the Demon Infiltration Arc earlier in cour 1, this show probably wouldn't be as currently raved about to begin with, source material relevancy or not.
That being said, I do agree this is one of the more weaker arcs in the series overall, but I'm sure the ultimate payoff at the end will be worth it, whether or not the adaptation will do it enough justice.
Jan 29, 2:01 PM
Dec 2022
Ba-Cii10 said:
Do you think the exam arch is a good idea? I honestly like it, but deep down I feel like it doesn't fit this series, it's too shounen, if it lasted as long as the Aura arc, I don't think I would worry about it that much, but this arc will probably last until the end of the season. I also wonder how this will affect the rating of this anime, whether action fans will maintain the high rating or disappointed fans of what came before will lower it.

I think the exam arch is a much needed change of pace to draw more attention and discussion to this masterpiece. Not to say it has been boring at all (in fact it was quite the opposite), but everything has been pretty slow.
Jan 29, 2:41 PM
Nov 2015
I think it's okay and a nice change (hopefully not permanent), but the fights are dragged out too much. Before, Frieren was something rather special and now it feels more like some random run-of-the-mill shounen.
Jan 29, 2:52 PM

Feb 2022
I didn't think I would be too huge on this arc but I've been enjoying it a lot so far. I'm liking all the new characters they're introducing and its been nice to see more aspects of the world fleshed out. It's definitely not on par with the Aura arc though, that was practically perfection.
Jan 29, 2:53 PM

Apr 2016
I think that's an interesting arc because it's a new adventure and experience for Frieren and Fern, without the nostalgia/mirroring of the Hero's party.
As much as I like the flashbacks and mirroring from that era, it's interesting that they can have their own adventure (if that makes sense).
I think it was much needed to introduce other characters and see how they see the world, because so far it's been quite self-centered on our party.

Also, I'm not a manga reader but there might be more to it, the examiners sound shady, and that elf (Serie?) might have some history with Frieren. He/she looks villain-ish, and that would be interesting to have a main antagonist. The journey to Heaven looked very similar to the Himmel's party journey, so I also like the idea that Frieren and Fern's journey is slowly deviating from it and making their own History :)
Jan 29, 4:16 PM

Aug 2020
The green hair gal is hot so I stand for the fight arc.

Jan 29, 10:04 PM

Apr 2022
got nothing on the very first arc but it's alright.
Jan 30, 2:38 AM
Jan 2024
Zarutaku said:
Feels well-balanced so far, hopefully the exam doesn't drag on too long.

it's longer than necessary it's way way wayyy too long
Jan 30, 5:31 AM

Apr 2020
Damn, this Anime will always receive backlash, no matter what.

We have these beautiful slice of Life moments, with profound life lessons to be learned for Episodes on end
-> People are complaining that it's boring and lacks action/progression

But then again...

IF the show goes all out on the pace and action, even delivering a mini tournement Arc...
-> People whine about how it's becoming more stereotypical and too Shonen

Guess that is just the nature of "fans" discussing popular Shows.🤷‍♀️
Jan 30, 5:40 AM

Aug 2023
Reply to Merve2Love

We have these beautiful slice of Life moments, with profound life lessons to be learned for Episodes on end

But then again...

IF the show goes all out on the pace and action, even delivering a mini tournement Arc...

@Merve2Love anime fans can't be satisfied no matter what
Jan 30, 6:05 AM
Nov 2018
Reply to Merve2Love

But then again...

@Merve2Love more than one group of people exist you know... it's not the same complaining about these things. Welcome to the internet.
Jan 30, 6:11 AM

Apr 2020
Penteano said:
@Merve2Love more than one group of people exist you know... it's not the same complaining about these things. Welcome to the internet.

But there are groups. I talk about the group that is never happy with anything - cause disliking popular stuff is just what they do.

Might just be a very loud minority, tho^^ Granted.
Jan 30, 8:09 AM
Nov 2018
Reply to Merve2Love
Penteano said:

But there are groups. I talk about the group that is never happy with anything - cause disliking popular stuff is just what they do.

Might just be a very loud minority, tho^^ Granted.
@Merve2Love Like I said, it's not the same group, it never is.
Jan 31, 1:23 AM
Nov 2023
I was skeptical about this arc at first because it didn't make sense on a surface level - one would think that Frieren should be granted first class status without having to take the exam, having defeated the demon king and being a legendary mage and all. But it's been more interesting than I thought it would be, it's basically serving as a plot device for introducing new characters and fleshing out the world a little more.
Feb 3, 5:06 PM

Sep 2021
I wasn't a fan of it at first, but the second half of ep 20 along with ep 21 has got me invested again. While I'd call it the weakest arc so far, it's still decent.
Feb 4, 5:48 AM
Oct 2023
I really dislike this exam arc and hope it will end soon and we can get back on the journey. I don't care about any of these sociopath murdermages.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you consider frieren the best anime of all time? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

AunixHOT - Apr 23

200 by Isaac_Randon »»
21 minutes ago

» Land: Anime’s Greatest Glasses-Kun

Bolbysaur - 6 hours ago

7 by Bolona07 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

789 by Playcool »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Which mage would you rather have as your mentor?

Moonshine_cookie - Yesterday

28 by nexuro01 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2023

213 by grandy_UiD »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.