Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 1:35 PM

Nov 2011
Opening animation is awesome! Works perfectly with Hiroyuki Sawano's style of music.
But the ending, is kinda disturbing after how the episode ended xP wtf
Jan 13, 1:40 PM

Nov 2011
Reply to ancient20
oh that menacing smile

@ancient20 I sometimes wish I could just click LIKE on some posts, but I know it is not how the forums work. :) Appreciate this screenshot a lot.
Jan 13, 1:41 PM
Feb 2023
pbbuiter said:
@Confused_100

Confused_100 said:

Self insert? How? If you are saying the writer was MC, then at that point alot of writers do that…

The entirety of Solo Leveling (from episode 2 onwards) just feels like an edit about "how cool protagonist-kun is". it's a self insert because the author makes absolutely no effort to give Jin Woo strong character traits. He's always calculated, stoic and of course as cool as possible. The readers are tempted to experience the story through his eyes, which is why he makes very little mistakes if any at all. I don't like stories with that kind of narrative.

So bleach? I still don’t get how is that self insert. He’s a cool protagonist with so little flaws. Not like we didn’t get those before or even recently. Yes we get those in almost every anime.

You are complaining about it being hype and cool which is the intention behind the series. Like it’s not gonna break new rules. Not every anime has to do that and frankly let’s be honest rarely any new anime does that. So just enjoy it for what it is and who it is for.

Like I would get it if you criticised the pacing or some characters or the story but you are just saying protagonist acts cool and isn’t flawed.
Jan 13, 1:46 PM
Aug 2018
Best Manga Now Anime added whats not to like
Jan 13, 1:49 PM
Feb 2017
Music/sound(?) made a great atmosphere and the ending came at the perfect moment i envisioned when i read the first chapters. Well it could have been the perfect moment if it was a double episode airing on the 1st week since the "pilot" was incomplete and made me read 200 chapters of the webtoon in 3 days for the wrong reasons.
Jan 13, 1:55 PM
Mar 2022
EP 2 is amazing The studio did a great job !
I can't wait for EP 3
Now I feel like I need to re-read the manhwa
Jan 13, 1:56 PM
Sep 2021
Reply to IhnalakoKaina
My issue is with the fundamental elements of the source. High levels of exasperation at the ineptitude of these morons. I believe that their shortcomings when facing an s-tier foe would have gotten them killed when going aganist what they usually do long ago. The disregard for guidelines, insubordinance, lack of reasoning, problem solving and organization and overall cowardice.

I cannot force myself to accept that this is how a security/combat business would operate and overlook it. It must not have been so hard to put some more thought into these details, and frame that encounter in a way that makes it seem like despite doing everything correctly, they were too weak to handle it. But maybe then the mc would not have had a reason to hate them, so keep a just a tiny little bit of cowardice and incompetence.

In so many words, well, that was dumb. And not very dramatic or tense. As in Sung obviously was going to survive. 6/10. Begining to think that the manwha is popular mostly due to art, and not substance.
@IhnalakoKaina well if you were in that situation then what you have done it's easy to say but it becomes literally terrifying to think in that situation ...not only that the dungeons are first measured that how dangerous it is going to be...so they were relieved and did't mind to go in that double dungeon they thought higly of themself...and that's where human nature lies you become arrogant when you get little of some power...and no in that group have been in that death kind of situation which made them lose their mind it is only because of MC that was able to think in that situation because he has been in death kind of situation before...every human bbecomes dumb when he or she faces difficult situation until you are experienced to do it.
Jan 13, 1:57 PM
Jan 2024
Shiiiit it kinda good
Jan 13, 2:01 PM
Oct 2016
the first two episodes of this anime is the best starting two episodes I've ever seen in my whole 10 years of being an otaku.
Jan 13, 2:06 PM

Jul 2021
@Ken_shiv_10 if we were talking about office workers or everyday civilians, but these are people who do this for a living. Not rookies either, even if they've only dealt with small fry monsters. Privates in the military and police kind of adhere to a chain of command, even if they panic, they usually overdo it, not just cry and run away. But again, these were not rookies.

My point is: even if they hadn't encounterd that boss, they should've been killed by their incompetence long ago. This is not "if I was there it wouldn't have gone down like that" talk. It would be like going to mcdonalds and having a burger served with no meat. I get you are not chefs, but damn, this is lower than mediocre.
Jan 13, 2:18 PM
Jul 2022
I thought the first ep was okay. But ig this one made sure that I'll most probably stay till the end. Really good ep. I didn't think it would have this much gore and would be this much brutal. Never heard anyone say that either, but I'm glad that it is.This ep got me really excited for the upcoming eps.

I can't help but think now, that how much the series would've benefited from an hour long ep.
Levi1108Jan 13, 2:38 PM
Jan 13, 2:27 PM

Nov 2023
Need to stop comparing it to the Manhwa but this is just awesome to see everything go into animation. It's crazy.
Jan 13, 2:28 PM
Jun 2021
fucking amazing!!!
Jan 13, 2:29 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
I moved over to the Japanese dub + name version. :)

Jan 13, 2:34 PM

May 2015
Another great episode. Having already read the manhwa full I really begin to appreciate what anime can bring to the table. This entire dungeon sequence has been quite tence and it built up tension much better then the manhwa since thats just panels so theres only so much it can do. Plus the music and voice acting is great.

But man that mauling scene was brutal. Pretty sure it was just one panel in the manhwa but this was a hot minute of just him being stabbed and slapped around.

Cant wait for next episode when things really start beginning.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 13, 2:38 PM

Oct 2023
Alright, now we are talking.

It would have been much better if they released the first two episodes as a special as planned initially (from what I've heard at least).
I'm glad the animation is holding up and they kept it gory.

I can't wait to see some of my favourite moments from the manhwa animated.
Jan 13, 2:39 PM

Jun 2023
yo, Jin-Wo is brutally "slaughtered" in the dungeon, but it's so perfectly realised with this almost religious context of these "living statues".
So this is how his life ends???
Anyway, really well animated and this OPENING HITS DEEP!!! so hyped-

Jan 2024
A wonderfull episode, which was full with action.
10/10 a very good episode.
Jul 2020
The second ep is as beatiful as the first...just amazing. Love both the opening and the ending songs but the way the ending is animated is just superior. I have big expectations from this title
Jan 13, 2:44 PM
May 2019
In a world full of NPCs, our MC is a playable character. Well done.
Jan 13, 2:44 PM
Apr 2020
Absolutely amazing episode
Jan 13, 2:57 PM
Aug 2020
we got a great episode

i couldn't expect better for this scene...

blood,scream,animation

i'm so happy...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 13, 3:08 PM
Nov 2023
The smile........ Warms my heart!
Jan 13, 3:12 PM
Dec 2013
They definitely should have made these a 1 hour first episode for the setup. They really rushed through the text box at the end, too. Great episode, though.
Jan 13, 3:33 PM
Oct 2017
Reply to Yuyuichi
To avoid confusion about character names:
There are two versions of the Japanese dub.
If you watch on Crunchyroll or Netflix, you will hear the Korean spoken names, which were the original names for these characters.
However, if you watch the Live broadcast or on Amazon Prime Video, you will hear the Japanese spoken names, for those who read the Japanese version of the manhwa.
As a result, Japanese voice actors have to perform two takes, one for the Japanese names and another for the Korean names.
A-1 Pictures is doing justice to this series in order to appeal to different types of audiences.

The opening is so great! Hiroyuki Sawano himself, along with TOMORROW X TOGETHER, adds to the hype! The animation, cherry on top.
The ending theme by Krage, is incredibly beautiful and the visuals are stunning.
Taito Ban, the voice actor for the main character, is doing an amazing job!

During a D-Rank dungeon raid, E-Rank Hunter Sung Jin-Woo and his raid party stumble upon a double dungeon. They decide to investigate, but realize too late that it's a trap. They find themselves locked inside with no escape and surrounded by statues that kill them for the slightest mistake.
The episode effectively captures the despair and raw human emotions of the cast. It feels incredibly hopeless, as everyone is desperately trying to escape. Jin-Woo is definitely the mvp of the group, carrying everyone through all of those puzzles.

I found myself completely engrossed in this episode. The overall atmosphere, animation, and soundtrack all flawlessly culminate towards the end. The gore and brutality is remarkably well done.
This episode feels like reading the manhwa for the first time. I still remember how intense this arc was.

It's too early to make this statement, but considering what's shown and the pacing of the episodes, it's possible that A-1 Pictures is adapting Chugong's novel. This implies that the story will be better paced, and the characters and world-building will be more immersive. If A-1 Pictures can consistently produce episodes like this, then we are in for a treat.

By the way, there is an official Korean dub for this anime available on aniplus. The voice acting is on par with the Japanese voice actors. I can't wait for the Korean dub of episode 2 tomorrow.

Jin-Woo has completed a quest? This is where the show truly begins.
The weekly hype for Solo Leveling is definitely back!

That smile... That goddamn smile...
Yuyu1ch1 said:
By the way, there is an official Korean dub for this anime available on aniplus. The voice acting is on par with the Japanese voice actors. I can't wait for the Korean dub of episode 2 tomorrow.

the korean dub for ep 1 was really good, looking forward to checking out ep 2 (if I can find it again)
Jan 13, 3:38 PM

Sep 2021
Voice actor went crazy wtf
Goodnight, Punpun 
Jan 13, 3:40 PM
Jan 2024
I don't think many people talked about the ost in this Episode, so here we go.

When they had to praise to god and Sung figured something out about the statues with instruments was done so beautifully in my opinion. When the first person arrived under a statue with instruments, the ost began to play in the background and the build up of all the statues from the singing and violin e.t.c, paired with the intruiging scene of him crawling to the last statue, while almost getting crushed to a pancake is just straight up amazing.

Also I have to say that the ED Song at the end and the "backroom" like scenes at the end is also done beautifully and has meaning and maybe potential spoiler?

Nevertheless the music absolutely slaps and I am absolutely hooked on this.
Jan 13, 3:43 PM
Nov 2020
Very good episode, Opening and ending were amazing.
Jan 13, 3:45 PM
Jul 2020
This absolutely should have aired all 3ep together in the first week....
Jan 13, 3:47 PM
Jun 2023
all everything is perfect
Jan 13, 3:59 PM
Jan 2024
The CREEPY laughing of the STATUE GOD in the end 😵
Jan 13, 4:09 PM
Oct 2019
I like the animation, sound design, voice acting, Light quality, music and the dungeon design. But in my opinion, the setting is dull and uninteresting, as well as all of the characters so far (its episode 2 I understand, but still, its pretty boring), I dont really like any of them. Especially the main character, dont like when the "weak guy" who we are supposed to pity becomes op and strong, which I predict going to happen in this anime.
7/10 so far, the only hope I have is that we are going to get somebody interesting, or the MC is going to have a deeper story than just being a oh-look-at-me-I-am-weak-but-later-I'll-become-op-smart-and-edgy.
Jan 13, 4:10 PM
Jul 2021
12 Episodes are not capable of covering even a fraction of the Manwha if the pacing stays the same.
Jan 13, 4:21 PM
Jul 2020
Why is it that everyone who posts here as "amazing" has 1 or 2 posts count? Curious
Jan 13, 4:22 PM

Apr 2022
lost a bit of the momentum at the start but it was an okay episode and an okay opening. there's the freaky smile and damn park got bisected vertically. the ending visuals gives csm vibes to me for some reason.
Jan 13, 4:37 PM
Oct 2012
This show had my undivided attention, and in this age that's a very high praise.
The introduction was rough and looked to be another boiler plate D&D power fantasy (yes, I've heard that it's still the case) but this extra dungeon was very different. The three trials were novel, not too convoluted, and added a lot of tension.
I don't know how this show will progress but this has built a promising foundation.
Jan 13, 4:37 PM
Apr 2017
Nice episode. The production is doing the job very well so far.
Jan 13, 4:45 PM

Sep 2007
*Slow applause*

I didn't think they'd be able to capture that statue's creepy smile as well as the manhwa but BY GOD they did it. I got them chills all over again.

They also did the last bit so well as the "timer" went down....ouch man. I think I held my breath through that even though I knew what was going to happen.
Aw man....but the back of mind does wonder with this rate (and it's a good pace I ain't complaining --except that NEEDNEXTEPNOW) how many seasons will do this series justice...
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jan 13, 5:08 PM

Mar 2015
Why the weakest, our MC, is the only one being useful among all those who are - on paper - stronger than him?

simple explanation:
since hes the weakest, he is "used to" being in near-death situations.
everyone is in panic mode while he is the only one able to stay relatively calm, think and analyse.
Jan 13, 5:18 PM

Oct 2017
Yeah, this is straight out from the trope of those self insert pandering light novels.
"Everyone is idiots except me"
Basically they have to forcefully reduce every other side character's IQ to 0 to demonstrate how useful/ resourceful mc is.
The translator guy who translate the tome, and also the most experienced guy straight up forget what the 2nd and 3rd commandment is, and need to cry and seek advice from the mc cuz they know they're all useless and need mc to come up with all the solutions.

You can say fear clouded their judgement, however, we're dealing with people that has experience of B dungeons, and have couple years of experience, and you tell me they don't have any stress/ fear resistance COMPARE to mc who only do D and E dungeon before by leeching at the back of other party?
We're not talking about newbie/ normal working citizens here.
We're talking about veterans with lots of life and death experience in a dungeon for years.

Also, from the first episode, we can tell MC is a reckless guy who doesn't use his brain to fight base on his past experience and the goblin fight.
He knew he is weak as hell, but still insist of fighting with his shit dagger straight on, instead of coming up with any strategy to overcome his weaknesses.
All he does is being reckless and get injured and drain all healers' mp so she cant heal anyone else anymore.
And you tell me in episode 2 he is a strategic master who is good at analyzing enemies and the only dependable guy in the pt that can come up with strategies? That's not how the author present him in episode 1.

But ofc, the production quality is good and it has a lot of gore/brutal scene and it's from Kr, so same trope that're straight from Japan toilet light novel would get insanely praised instead, while the same trope from those genres will get a 6.xx or 7.xx cuz "it's too stupid" amirite?
Ventus_SJan 13, 5:39 PM
Jan 13, 5:24 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to IhnalakoKaina
My issue is with the fundamental elements of the source. High levels of exasperation at the ineptitude of these morons. I believe that their shortcomings when facing an s-tier foe would have gotten them killed when going aganist what they usually do long ago. The disregard for guidelines, insubordinance, lack of reasoning, problem solving and organization and overall cowardice.

I cannot force myself to accept that this is how a security/combat business would operate and overlook it. It must not have been so hard to put some more thought into these details, and frame that encounter in a way that makes it seem like despite doing everything correctly, they were too weak to handle it. But maybe then the mc would not have had a reason to hate them, so keep a just a tiny little bit of cowardice and incompetence.

In so many words, well, that was dumb. And not very dramatic or tense. As in Sung obviously was going to survive. 6/10. Begining to think that the manwha is popular mostly due to art, and not substance.
@IhnalakoKaina
Completely agree with you.
Read my analysis from the earlier post too.

But ofc by having good production quality and some sprinkle of gore, the average anime fans will nvr think of those and praise "it's a masterpiece, best episode i've ever seen"
Ventus_SJan 13, 5:38 PM
Jan 13, 5:24 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
The opening slapped, the episode slapped, the ending slapped. I'm very excited.
Jan 13, 5:32 PM
Apr 2021
Holy shit this shit was intense asf I forgot how intense this shit was in the manhwa bc Sung Jin Woo was catching the work from those statues shit made me feel sad for the guy😣

The opening is a fucking banger tho and the visuals were 10/10 seeing Sung fly through the air fighting those monsters gave me chills ong😮‍💨🔥

Next episode finna be a banger bc that’s when we see Sung Jin Woo get his powers🤩
Jan 13, 5:35 PM

Jul 2022
That was brutal, the tension in the dungeon, and the despair of the 'Hunters' as they watched their comrades die before their eyes. The soundtrack of this episode was beautiful; it complemented the atmosphere they were in very well.

Jin-Woo was the key element in keeping them alive since he was always on the verge of death several times as the weakest among them.

The visuals of the OP look quite good. I haven't read the manhwa, but it seems the OP may contain spoilers. The ED provides a good conclusion to this episode that leaves me wanting more. Fortunately, Jin-Woo has a second chance.
Jan 13, 5:44 PM

Sep 2023
Damn that was really good, I wish they would have a started the anime with a longer first episode exploring a bit more of the story/world because it's too hard to have to wait another week to see what comes next!
Jan 13, 5:45 PM

Jun 2023
the legendary statue what a smile ㅋㅋㅋ scary for me, really really what an episode........
Jan 13, 5:49 PM
Apr 2021
the best anime of this season
Jan 13, 6:01 PM
Apr 2019
The Gore of this episode is on par LOVED IT~
Jan 13, 6:03 PM
Jan 2023
This anime lowkey kinda gives off SAO energy in a way
Jan 13, 6:03 PM
Jul 2023
Is it only me noticed that the hunters are too dumb they don't even use their brains and they relying on MC too much for impression
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Solo Leveling's Hype

Arminken - Yesterday

34 by DayRivia »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Mar 30

359 by oozukimaru »»
Yesterday, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

254 by lasodamos »»
Apr 26, 12:44 PM

» Solo Leveling Anime Records Surprisingly Poor Sales ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 7

53 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 24, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

297 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 23, 10:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.