Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 7:30 AM

May 2020
Watching Solo Leveling as an anime was always a dream, however funny it may sound. This being made by one of the well known studios is one more box tick, so there’s really much to hope about going into the adaptation. Though they changed the names from korean to japanese, which sounds quite cringe. Will be using korean names, as it’s the only “proper” way.

Been a long time since I last read this, and heck if it’s the first chapter, then it’s all more long, so I’m not sure if that’s how it started, but here we started with a flashback to a raid on
. If it’s really anime original then damn, that’s some way to set things up. Anyways, not too long and we were briefed with the workings of this series.

Hunters, their ranks, gates, and how monsters come out of those gates. And then came our protag, Sung Jin-Woo, looking all thin and bleak, taking insults about how much of a weakling he is to any team he’s in behind his back, but hey like any other korean work, there’s a girl who’s kind to him lol. Still back to the story, and just like any other day, there opened a gate and the hunters like ever went in to hunt the monster and take the loot.

Though hey, they did a mistake, without knowing the danger this dungeon could’ve posed they went in realllllly in… to the boss room, no less. And then came the tragedy… which was the trigger to start it all. Shit has already hit the fan.

Loved the first episode. A-1 did justice. Opening without the visuals sounded good, I mean it was expected but still.

Though hey, I’m pretty sure Cha Hae-In didn’t make an appearance this early lol. Just hope the studio doesn’t do any weird changes going forward.

Jul 2017
South Korea's biggest HYPE manhwa/Webtoon of Chugong and DUBU's Solo Leveling, the anime HAS FINALLY COME.

Watching on TV whilst hearing Japanese-translated names is very weird at best. But the anime is mashing both the WN and the Webtoon together, so you're still going to get the FULL experience of Solo Leveling as a whole.

As expected, you've got to pair K-pop group TOMORROW X TOGETHER with SawanoHiroyuki[nZk] for the effective Japanese-Korean mashing experience. The OP song itself is rather uninspiring for now, but will have to see Ep 2 and beyond.

In a world connected by "Gate" releasing magic beasts, there exists monster hunters with different mana levels, from the highest of S-rank hunters, to the lowest of E-rank, which is where the MC Sung Jin-woo is at, being born as the "weakest hunter of all mankind". Being the weakest means he's an insanely easy target, which is where B-rank healer Lee Joo-hee comes in to help him smooth things out, as they go on the next raid with leader Song Chi-yul. Other than the usual dungeon raid, there exists a passageway into yet another dungeon, which they want to go, but it falls on Jin-woo to make a decision, which they proceed because he needs money for his family.

I'm actually surprised that Cha Hae-in made her appearance THIS early, but she'll be a big plot device going forward.

Continuing into the dungeon, the group reaches a chamber where there lay big statues all around...but this is a temple where God is revered, and reading an ancient runic script, they encounter trouble where the party members are insta-killed, which doesn't give the impression of a D-rank dungeon. Sure, Jin-woo has had his many episodes on bare survival, but none like this before where risks outweight the rewards.

Go Gun-hee, the chairman of the Korea Hunters' Association overseeing all hunters and the rewards like essence stones which would help fuel the government and boost its economy, it's definitely for the better, though the implications of the Gates are still yet unknown, teaching the new hunters to be extremely careful at the risk of their lives.

The weakest hunter, facing S-rank magic beasts. How will survival be fit?
KANLen09Jan 6, 11:35 PM

Dec 2021
After roughly eight years since the Korean web novel Solo Leveling first hit the internet, we're now getting the anime adaptation we've been waiting for. Whether it's for the better or worse is something we're about to find out.

TOMORROW X TOGETHER with a banger of an opening song, with the help of the man himself, Sawano.

Several years ago, a dimensional gateway known as the "Gate" appeared, connecting an alternate dimension to our world. Those who fought against the monsters lurking beyond the Gate were called "Hunters" by the people. Hunters were ranked based on the amount of magical power they exhibited during their awakening, and Sung Jinwoo, also known as Seong Jin-U in his Japanese localized name, was considered the world's weakest hunter, even among the lowest E-rank.

One day, Jinwoo participated in a dungeon expedition. Although he successfully cleared the dungeon, he discovered another entrance leading even deeper within. After enduring a brutal attack by monsters in a top-tier dungeon, Jinwoo makes an unexpected comeback thanks to the System—a unique program visible only to him, enhancing his abilities across the board. Fueled by this newfound strength, he becomes determined to uncover the secrets behind his powers and the enigmatic dungeon that gave rise to them.

In this episode, there's a lot of focus on setting up the story and building the world, which I personally enjoyed. But if someone's expecting constant action right away, they might find it a bit slow. Taito Ban, who voices Jinwoo, does a great job bringing out the emotions. The soundtrack is spot on, with the upbeat and dramatic vibes you'd expect from Sawano. The ending leaves you wanting more, but not in a rushed way. Though it does feel like the first two episodes were supposed to air back to back, but oh well, I'll wait a week.

Even though it starts off like your typical fantasy anime, Solo Leveling gives off the vibe that there's more beneath the surface.

Jan 6, 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
This was pretty intense! From the transition from the opening scenes to the present timeline, we finally got Solo Leveling animated.

Even though he is the protagonist, Jin-Woo didn't make a big impression yet. However, we do get the fundamental elements of the show introduced. Cha also made an impression when she made that save. Jin-Woo seems to be just trying to do his job even if he's not as strong as everyone else. It's solid start right now imo, and animation looks decent. Curious how many episodes this series will get.
Jan 6, 7:36 AM

Jan 2021
After a long-awaited eight years, the anime adaptation of Solo Leveling (South Korea's one of the best manhwa/webtoon, by Chugong and DUBU) has finally arrived!

Seeing Solo Leveling as an anime has always been a cherished dream, and with it now being produced by a reputable studio, there's a lot of hope for the adaptation.

The first episode proved to be impressive, A-1 Pictures did a great job!
Taito Ban's portrayal of Jin-Woo is perfect, and the chosen soundtrack effectively captures the essence of the series.

The story takes place in a world where monstrous creatures are unleashed through these Gates that appear out of nowhere. Hunters of varying ranks dedicate themselves to battling these creatures, and our protagonist, Sung Jin-Woo, happens to be the least powerful E-rank hunter. However, during a mission in a dungeon, Sung Jin-Woo and his companions unexpectedly come face-to-face with S-rank monsters. What will happen? Are they going to survive in this terrible situation?
The first episode primarily focuses on establishing the storyline and world-building.

The conclusion of the episode certainly leaves viewers yearning for more. Solo Leveling may seem like a normal fantasy anime, but there's more to it.
YuyuichiJan 6, 11:05 AM
Jan 6, 7:51 AM
Apr 2020
they changed the names even though they didnt in the Solo Leveling | OFFICIAL TRAILER 4 i dont know why
Jan 6, 7:52 AM

Oct 2017
Anime adaptation of one of the most popular manwha if not the most popular one, finally arrived. Can't wait to see the big fights animated and Cha Hae-In meet JinWo in anime. Arise!

Not much to talk about the first episode and I still think they should have made an 1 hour special for the premiere but anyway for now we got intro to our characters and even saw Cha Hae-In already. I think that scene was anime original.
MegamiRemJan 8, 9:30 AM
Sep 2021
Amazing episode tbh. Exceeded my expectations, animation was amazing.

May 2020
this was a pretty good first episode
I have high hopes for this
cant wait for more

Jan 6, 7:53 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to lapine05
they changed the names even though they didnt in the Solo Leveling | OFFICIAL TRAILER 4 i dont know why
@lapine05 wait for the global version. That was Japanese versio
Jan 6, 8:07 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to Softhenic03
Watching Solo Leveling as an anime was always a dream, however funny it may sound. This being made by one of the well known studios is one more box tick, so there’s really much to hope about going into the adaptation. Though they changed the names from korean to japanese, which sounds quite cringe. Will be using korean names, as it’s the only “proper” way.

Been a long time since I last read this, and heck if it’s the first chapter, then it’s all more long, so I’m not sure if that’s how it started, but here we started with a flashback to a raid on
. If it’s really anime original then damn, that’s some way to set things up. Anyways, not too long and we were briefed with the workings of this series.

Hunters, their ranks, gates, and how monsters come out of those gates. And then came our protag, Sung Jin-Woo, looking all thin and bleak, taking insults about how much of a weakling he is to any team he’s in behind his back, but hey like any other korean work, there’s a girl who’s kind to him lol. Still back to the story, and just like any other day, there opened a gate and the hunters like ever went in to hunt the monster and take the loot.

Though hey, they did a mistake, without knowing the danger this dungeon could’ve posed they went in realllllly in… to the boss room, no less. And then came the tragedy… which was the trigger to start it all. Shit has already hit the fan.

Loved the first episode. A-1 did justice. Opening without the visuals sounded good, I mean it was expected but still.

Though hey, I’m pretty sure Cha Hae-In didn’t make an appearance this early lol. Just hope the studio doesn’t do any weird changes going forward.
@Softhenic03 cz its not global version. Its only for japan. Global one will be released later
Jan 6, 8:07 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to lapine05
@lapine05 its for japan only
Jan 6, 8:10 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to Mushi8680
@lapine05 its for japan only
@Mushi8680 thank you
Jan 6, 8:10 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to Kyo_7x
@lapine05 wait for the global version. That was Japanese versio
@Kyo_7x thank you
Jan 6, 8:21 AM

Dec 2022
well watched the raw video didn't really understand much but got gist of it it would seem they added extra scenes to introduce the characters anyway the fighting scene is coming next episode very exited for it in the manga that was the part that got me hooked and made me bench read the entire manga in a day

anyway less talking about me and more about the anime gun hee is not as threating as i imagined but guess it works also hae in was nailed on
i thought jin chul had orange hair not blonde the statues also look very threating so that was also nailed

edit: just watched the dub didnt realize the first part was giving future hints about what is to come anyway i liked it but was not something extremely special like the manga was it made me feel excitement and antiption but this is not like that maybe its just me because i read the manga or something
ZaxphredJan 6, 9:42 AM
Jan 6, 8:25 AM

Feb 2021
The most anticipated anime this season on MAL, let's go
I didn't think it would be this brutal, wow
The animation is amazing already. Hopefully it stays consistent.
There is waaaay more blood and gore than I expected.
The sound effect in the last line was amazing.
An amazing first episode. Really excited to see more! ...except that everyone in that room has a gigantic death flag, including the girl, and I'm really sad about that :(
Oh, and it's cool how all the text is in English, and not in Japanese. There is probably a much bigger audience for this in the west than in Japan after all.
Jan 6, 8:29 AM

Nov 2023
A-1 pictures done a good job.

But I kinda not getting the same vibe which I had when I'm reading it.

I have read it three times.

Pls listen to the ECHO song made for solo leveling manhwa promotion or whatever(way before).

It will rock!!
But it's so good, I've never known anybody like you
But it's so good, I've never dreamed of nobody like you
And I've heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime
And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine
Jan 6, 8:31 AM
Feb 2021
@TekTation yeah i guess so. Thats why some were confused why they changed the names .
Jan 6, 8:42 AM

Apr 2018
It is finally here, one of the most anticipated animes of 2024. Solo Leveling will be a deal breaker if A1 manages to adapt it as perfectly as they can. The start of SL is pretty slow (compared to later arcs) with Jin-Woo being a weakling and not helpful at all in regards to the Gates and stuff. That's the end of it though because they managed to get trapped in a boss room. I can't wait for the later arcs to be adapted, but the beginning of SL isn't bad in any means. The soundtrack by Sawano Hiroyuki is incredible as usual and the animation is quite good.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jan 6, 8:43 AM
May 2023
can anyone tell me when is the global release with the korean names?
Jan 6, 8:46 AM

Jan 2009
i guess this is popular because its dark action like attack on titan, demon slayer and even chainsaw man

Jan 6, 8:46 AM
Feb 2021
Well, its seems nice now. I just want to see the progress so far!!
Jan 6, 8:54 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to Pinoffin

Pls listen to the ECHO song made for solo leveling manhwa promotion or whatever(way before).

It will rock!!
@MonsterOfDreams i actually got better vibes from anime. It was much darker and story rich manhwa rushes a lot things
Jan 6, 8:54 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to Pinoffin

It will rock!!
@MonsterOfDreams i actually got better vibes from anime. It was much darker and story rich manhwa rushes a lot things
Jan 6, 8:56 AM
Apr 2018
Softhenic03 said:

what do you mean a dream, solo leveling is from 2018 lmao is not that long
Jan 6, 9:05 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to DaveHerder
Softhenic03 said:

what do you mean a dream, solo leveling is from 2018 lmao is not that long
@DaveHerder novel started in 2016
Jan 6, 9:05 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to Softhenic03

@Softhenic03 guys rate this anime to 10
Jan 6, 9:23 AM
Jan 2024
I read manhwa and was sad when I heard that they will change MC name but today when I watched first episode and it was the same I m so glad that that chose that :D
Jan 6, 9:24 AM

Jul 2012
Amazing first episode! What a crazy and intense ending.
Jan 6, 9:26 AM
Aug 2017
I watched this with 0 knowledge on the original source material but I enjoyed the first episode! It felt intense. I have to admit that the whole final part of it made me think of Kirito, Sachi & the others getting trapped into that room in SAO xD but after finding out that A-1 is in charge of this show, i figured out why. Seems okay so far, just a brief introduction.
Jan 6, 9:27 AM
Aug 2020
i enjoyed this first ep

i'm happy for the moment, i can't wait to see the next one...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 6, 9:30 AM
Jan 2024
Very Nice and Epic!
Jan 6, 9:31 AM

Jun 2014
I've heard plenty of good things about this manhwa and now the anime adaptation is finally here. I feel like this premiere could have benefited greatly from being double-length to avoid that cliffhanger, but it is what it is.

Welp, once the group decided to head deeper into the dungeon, it was pretty obvious where things were heading. Mysterious room, a bunch of weird statues, and the central statue's eyes were following them around and shooting lasers, so yea, the vibes were definitely off lol. Things turned into a slaughter-fest real fast. Jinwoo is incredibly weak, so let's see how the hell he gets out of this one. Good first episode and I'm excited to see where one of this season's most highly anticipated shows goes from here.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 6, 9:35 AM
Apr 2020
global version is out and not only they used korean names but the scenes are different from tv jp version
Jan 6, 9:35 AM
Jun 2023
I read the manhwa a few years ago and thoughts this could be a god damn fun and peak anime if it is adapted. Now, the wait is over and we got what we wished for a long time. And you know what? They didn't let us down.
Animation is solid 9/10. And the soundtracks are composed by Hiroyuki Sawano. That guy's musics are amazing. There're rumors of changing the names of characters to japanese but I glad they didd justice to anime by sticking with original names.
They also didn't censored the gore killing scenes which i loved the most. And the goosebumps at the end, god damn. That was peak
Jan 6, 9:37 AM

Jun 2017
When a cancerous anime studio adapts a cancerous overhyped fanfiction level garbage tier webtoon you know that you will get a dreadful abomination like the Solo Leveling anime. Don't watch this pile of trash.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Jan 6, 9:39 AM
Apr 2023
what an episode 👏 🙌 being an manwha reader it really still manages to give me goosebumps the ending song is fire 11/10 🔥
Jan 6, 9:40 AM
Mar 2022
perfectly executed the first episode although it is not eye-catching for first viewer who didn't read manhwa but to manhwa readers this episode is blast 10/10
Jan 6, 9:41 AM
May 2021
Got goosebumps at the last minutes
Jan 6, 9:42 AM
Mar 2023
I watched it in a streaming website 2 hours after it was aired globally and they haven't changed the names thankfully they just obviously included a 'san' after their names

btw episode one was amazing! I loved it sm and the extra scenes rlly didn't disappoint us and hunter Cha's scene was really cool hah
hoping to see more extraordinary episodes like this one!
Jan 6, 9:43 AM
Jan 2022
Amazing episode from my favorite and first manhwa. Common w
Jan 6, 9:43 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Better than i expected, the animation actually looks really good. Got reminded of the latest SAO entries.

Surprisingly gory, must admit that my jaw dropped at the fire scene.
Jan 6, 9:46 AM
Oct 2015
I thought the first episode would be hour long ? It was the usual 24 mins one
Jan 6, 9:50 AM
Mar 2021
Am I the only one who's not a fan of the changes? I mean, I get that they needed to set things up for later, but I liked the original story better.
Jan 6, 9:50 AM
Apr 2020
this episode needed to be at least a one hour long episode to really show that they will be doing a good job adopting solo leveling, but it was too short only 24 min, the only good thing going for it is the music and VA work.
Jan 6, 9:51 AM
Mar 2021
Reply to DreadfulControl
When a cancerous anime studio adapts a cancerous overhyped fanfiction level garbage tier webtoon you know that you will get a dreadful abomination like the Solo Leveling anime. Don't watch this pile of trash.
@DreadfulControl did you even read the web novel? or at least the manwha?
Jan 6, 9:53 AM

Jun 2017
Reply to GeekNewz
@DreadfulControl did you even read the web novel? or at least the manwha?
@GeekNewz Yeah, dropped it after a several chapters, most boring thing I've ever read.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Jan 6, 9:53 AM

Dec 2018
Not bad for a start but from here on out it's only going to get better. I can't wait for next week.
Jan 6, 9:55 AM

Jan 2018
I heard a lot about Solo Leveling before and some people who normally don't recommend stuff recommended me to read it. But I didn't read it cause I didn't really know anything about it. Thankfully, there's an anime now.

I liked the first episode. So far I don't really get why it's popular but that's only because it's the first episode and the plot barely even started. I am hooked though and I'm going to keep watching it.

The cliffhanger felt kinda cheap so I think it should've been an hour-long episode instead. But I'll take it. I liked the animation and the gore.

The setup feels a bit generic but it can still be enjoyable. I can't wait to see where this goes.
Jan 6, 9:55 AM
Jun 2023
wow, it was good and extra scenes weren't bad, and animation looks good. i hope they change MC's voice so what in different way.i am so excited 😆
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Mar 30

357 by Skippu__ »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

254 by lasodamos »»
10 hours ago

» Solo Leveling Anime Records Surprisingly Poor Sales ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 7

53 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 24, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

297 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 23, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Feb 3

269 by SafeEntity »»
Apr 21, 11:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.