Forum Settings
Forums

Should more visual novels get anime adaptations?

New
Dec 22, 2023 10:14 AM

Dec 2019
Animes tend to be adaptations of mangas or light novels, and somewhat rarely be original productions, but I honestly can't think of many animes that are adaptations of visual novels. KEY's animes come to mind: Clannad, Air, Kanon, etc., and Nekopara, but that's about it.

There are a metric fuckton of visual novels out there, and while not all of them are adaptation-worthy, there's more than just a few that could certainly use one.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
Dec 22, 2023 10:23 AM

Feb 2020
I wouldn't mind at all. You can never have too much anime. :)
Dec 22, 2023 10:27 AM

Feb 2016
ImNotAnOtaku1 said:
I honestly can't think of many animes that are adaptations of visual novels. KEY's animes come to mind: Clannad, Air, Kanon, etc., and Nekopara, but that's about it.

You forgot Fate/Stay Night and Steins;Gate. I am in favor of adapting visual novels I like.
その目だれの目?
Dec 22, 2023 10:33 AM

Jun 2020
I think it very much depends, since some VN adaptations have been amazing (Steins;Gate) while others have been terrible, like the other VNs from the same series as S;G like Chaos;Head/Child. I'll mostly be talking about that series, Science Adventure, since its what I'm familiar with but a lot of this applies to other VNs.

To me the two major determining factors of whether or not a VN adaptation will be good are the length of the VN compared to the anime, and the structure of the VN.

As for the length, its kinda impossible for a VN adaptation to be good when a 50-60 hour VN is crammed into a 12-13 episode anime, which is what happened with both Chaos; VNs. Compare that to Steins;Gate, which was about half the length, at 25-30 hours, and got 25 episodes for its anime adaptation.

The other major thing is the structure of the VN. Many VNs have multiple different branching routes which all need to be played in order to fully understand the story. For any of these VNs, there are two options for how to adapt them. First, you can try to combine all of the important information from each route into one route, and leave out lots of extra content, which is what happened for the Chaos; adaptations. The other option is to do what Fate: Stay Night did and adapt each route separately, but then that leads to a VN taking literally 15 years to fully adapt, and would really only work for something as popular as Fate.
(plus the original fate daptation did try to include stuff from all 3 routes, which is why its still impossible to experience the story in the correct order via the anime since the first adaptation mostly covers the first route, but with spoilers from the other 2 since they assumed it would be the only adaptation)

However, for VNs that have a much more linear story, like Steins;Gate, which has one true ending route, and multiple short side endings that were easy to omit from the anime, making an anime adaptation is much easier.
Dec 22, 2023 10:35 AM

Dec 2022
ImNotAnOtaku1 said:
KEY's animes come to mind: Clannad, Air, Kanon, etc., and Nekopara, but that's about it.

Myself:Yourself
Yosuga no Sora
Ayakashi
Canvas 2
Da Capo
Phantom of Inferno/Requiem for the Phantom
Grisaia
Shuffle
Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka
11eyes
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
H2O: Footprints in the Sand
Akane Maniax

All anime I've watched that were adapted off a visual novel. They're all of varying quality, but length and faithful adaptation certainly helps. Any adaptation that actually includes h-scenes in some form gets bonus points.

Shaded Horizon

Dec 22, 2023 10:38 AM

May 2019
The good ones certainly, the not good ones not so much.
Dec 22, 2023 10:40 AM

Aug 2020
Yes we need a SakuUta adaptation asap

Dec 22, 2023 10:43 AM

Dec 2019
Reply to Atm2222
I think it very much depends, since some VN adaptations have been amazing (Steins;Gate) while others have been terrible, like the other VNs from the same series as S;G like Chaos;Head/Child. I'll mostly be talking about that series, Science Adventure, since its what I'm familiar with but a lot of this applies to other VNs.

To me the two major determining factors of whether or not a VN adaptation will be good are the length of the VN compared to the anime, and the structure of the VN.

As for the length, its kinda impossible for a VN adaptation to be good when a 50-60 hour VN is crammed into a 12-13 episode anime, which is what happened with both Chaos; VNs. Compare that to Steins;Gate, which was about half the length, at 25-30 hours, and got 25 episodes for its anime adaptation.

The other major thing is the structure of the VN. Many VNs have multiple different branching routes which all need to be played in order to fully understand the story. For any of these VNs, there are two options for how to adapt them. First, you can try to combine all of the important information from each route into one route, and leave out lots of extra content, which is what happened for the Chaos; adaptations. The other option is to do what Fate: Stay Night did and adapt each route separately, but then that leads to a VN taking literally 15 years to fully adapt, and would really only work for something as popular as Fate.
(plus the original fate daptation did try to include stuff from all 3 routes, which is why its still impossible to experience the story in the correct order via the anime since the first adaptation mostly covers the first route, but with spoilers from the other 2 since they assumed it would be the only adaptation)

However, for VNs that have a much more linear story, like Steins;Gate, which has one true ending route, and multiple short side endings that were easy to omit from the anime, making an anime adaptation is much easier.
@Atm2222 I don't think length is as great of an issue, since shorter VNs could be adapted to OVAs or movies instead of full animes, and they'd probably get a good degree of attention and profit as well.

Structure can be an issue, but even then the anime adaptation can take a lot of liberties, such as with Clannad: all of its routes were adapted into a single coherent, connected story, and it was done wonderfully. However, it was far too long of a VN for it to be adapted fully even through 2 different animes and 2 OVAs, since they cut out a sizeable amount of content such as Akio's or Kappei's routes, as well as simplified a lot of other routes.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
Dec 22, 2023 10:53 AM

Jan 2020
Sure, why not? The only problem is that in visual novels you have different choices and several endings, which can’t really be transferred to the TV anime format, where the story has to be linear (like, with no ramifications) and have a single ending. Because sometimes you get screwed up adaptations such as School Days, for instance.

What I wanted to say with that is that a visual novel is double trouble and double responsibility, since it’s easy to screw the pooch.
Dec 22, 2023 11:31 AM

Feb 2022
Yes, there are so many incest visual novel that should get an adaptation
[/url]
Dec 22, 2023 11:32 AM

Feb 2022
Reply to Archean-Return
ImNotAnOtaku1 said:
KEY's animes come to mind: Clannad, Air, Kanon, etc., and Nekopara, but that's about it.

Myself:Yourself
Yosuga no Sora
Ayakashi
Canvas 2
Da Capo
Phantom of Inferno/Requiem for the Phantom
Grisaia
Shuffle
Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka
11eyes
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
H2O: Footprints in the Sand
Akane Maniax

All anime I've watched that were adapted off a visual novel. They're all of varying quality, but length and faithful adaptation certainly helps. Any adaptation that actually includes h-scenes in some form gets bonus points.
@Archean-Return
Myself yourself
Yosuga no Sora
Canvas 2
Da capo

Ahh this brings back so many memories.
You got great taste.
[/url]
Dec 22, 2023 11:53 AM

May 2014
I do love a good amount of visual novels, but visual novels as a medium I don't like that much, so a good anime adaptation of certain ones would really elevate the material for me. More being made would be a win. I'm pretty picky, but a few of my faves I'd like to see get anime are Saya no Uta, House in Fata Morgana and Gore Screaming Show. Probably never going to happen, but that's the wish list.

Being a Fate fan must be great, so many anime spawned from it. I wish I lived in the world where Umineko got that treatment!
Dec 22, 2023 11:55 AM

May 2021
No, please! :p I know that there are some good VN adaptations out there, but I see a linear adaptation of a non-linear story as a recipe for disaster (unless we're talking about the fully linear VNs or too many creative liberties, of course). I'd only be cautiously optimistic if someone decides to make several parallel series or episodes that are meant to be watched separately and culminate in some kind of a "true route" or epilogue series. Otherwise, when it comes to a typical linear anime series adaptation of a non-linear VN, it's a matter of both luck and skill, and it usually seems to fail spectacularly. Some of the worst and nonsensical anime series I've ever seen were VN adaptations, which makes me even more biased against the standard anime adaptations. And don't even get me started on the censorship if something has eroge content, especially if it's supposed to serve more purposes than just being an eye candy. That's like a nail in the coffin.

In any case, I've made a rule for myself to never watch a VN adaptation before playing the original. Yes, I know that series like Steins;Gate are supposed to be very good adaptations, but I'm not going to watch it until I play the VN. Whether it's a mistake or not, I've gotten to a point where I'm genuinely afraid to even try a VN adaptation lol I've become a visualnoveltoanimeadaptationphobe :p but I guess if I decide to make an exception, it's certainly going to be something like Steins;Gate, acclaimed by both the general public and, more importantly, by people whom I personally trust. Even if I won't like it, at least I'll be more or less sure that I watched a good adaptation.

Atm2222 said:

I'm not familiar with the Science Adventure series (yet) or their adaptations, but I've seen this happen in other VN adaptations all the time! It's like they just think "oh well, let's mash those routes together, ignore all the context and see how it goes" :/ all the other problems you've described, like the inadequate adaptation length, are also prevalent, of course.

Lucifrost said:
I am in favor of adapting visual novels I like.

I'm in favor of bashing my head against the wall if someone decides to adapt a VN that I like lol to me, it equals to saying something like "I'm on a mission to mock and ruin something that you hold dear, and you can't stop me, ha-ha-ha" :p I don't really mind creative changes or some personal touches here and there, but I'd be extremely worried about transferring the overall atmosphere and "vibe", and what the narrative structure would look like as a result of such an adaptation.
Dec 22, 2023 12:00 PM

Jul 2017
Yeah sure they should, i'd like to see sex with hitler in ultra hd animated by top talent as he slaps those ass cheeks.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2023 12:10 PM

Sep 2018
If they're short enough to get a good adaptation without needing more than 13 episodes sure, why not. The problem is that I feel like most VNs would need way more episodes, which means either an extremely rushed one cour adaptation or multiple cours but extremely low budget.

I'm pretty sure that even Steins;Gate wouldn't get more than one cour to adapt the whole story, if the anime adaptation came out in the 2020s instead of more than 10 years ago.

Dec 22, 2023 3:53 PM

Feb 2021
It took Mahoyo 10 years to get a movie adaptation and that announcement was a year ago. I know this is what makes us Type Moon fans look bad and overbearing, but seriously they make some of the best stories in the industry.

So not knowing my place can we have a Tsukihime anime adaptation after Mahoyo?
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Dec 22, 2023 4:19 PM

Dec 2015
Would be cool but it's rare to get good adaption,I'm huge fan of Clannad, after etc reading the Visuel Novel, it's easy to understand that the adaption it self is not that great.
We we are going to get more and we can ask for more VN adaption, i would love it in the way they made Rewrite and Amagami SS, where the routes resets. And uses the route to build up to something. Rewrite gave out the secret route, the route you get after have read everything else. Amagami is just a pure Romance Anime where the route resetes after goal finished ( more or less )
Same with the two old seasons of When they Cry, amazing done, even got me to buy the Manga. One of the best mystery shows and manga i have experienced.
Me ^ want adaptions like those three.

I still think that if Clannad etc use route system, the feels and understanding about what happend to Nagisa would have been better explained. As clannad is based on happiness. It's Happiness that unlocks the secret route, thanks to Tomoya making other people happy in one way or another, not even all routes has romance. it's about helping people, changing people, making people understand that what they are currently doing is fine, even if youre a landlady and single at the age of 24.

And i absolute do not whant Umineki adaption, i think a reason why we don't get that many VN adaption is because they get some wierd adaption with new content or small changes that dosen't make sense. Well i didn't read the VN, i got the manga. And just based on the Manga, the experience of reading the Manga is amazing, it's a amzing journey, the Anime experience is pushing you head against the wall.

Not really that big of a fan of the muv-luv adaption either, they gave us the third story, i think ? out of the serie, so much content got ignored. I read up on some short review of the visual novel to get a bigger understanding about what HAD happend and WHY stuff is happening.
And Muv-Luv latest 2 seasons is just meeh, it's not plesant to watch, it feels like a garbage adaption as berserker.
it's just not that fun, well i enjoyed, i loved the cast. But the story itself just dosent make sense when you adapt the third game ? or what to call it and ignore so much content that would have created a much bigger build up and understanding about all of the characters too.

@Serafos i don't agree with this, as to much, normally means lack of good quality. I rather have 5 shows then 55 shows.
if it means the quality is as bad as it is, or that a Anime Studio dosent want to work on the project, so some random guys in Korea creates this tiny Stuido and release ex-arm.

Dec 22, 2023 7:31 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Atm2222

Atm2222 said:

Chaos;Head actually isn't any longer a game than Steins;Gate. It's still too long for a mere 12 episodes.

Atm2222 said:
The other major thing is the structure of the VN. Many VNs have multiple different branching routes which all need to be played in order to fully understand the story. For any of these VNs, there are two options for how to adapt them. First, you can try to combine all of the important information from each route into one route, and leave out lots of extra content, which is what happened for the Chaos; adaptations.

That did not happen with Chaos;Head. The game had only 1 route at launch, so it was adapted in much the same way as Steins;Gate. The game later received additional routes after the anime aired.
その目だれの目?
Dec 22, 2023 7:41 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to -YaoiBoy-
No, please! :p I know that there are some good VN adaptations out there, but I see a linear adaptation of a non-linear story as a recipe for disaster (unless we're talking about the fully linear VNs or too many creative liberties, of course). I'd only be cautiously optimistic if someone decides to make several parallel series or episodes that are meant to be watched separately and culminate in some kind of a "true route" or epilogue series. Otherwise, when it comes to a typical linear anime series adaptation of a non-linear VN, it's a matter of both luck and skill, and it usually seems to fail spectacularly. Some of the worst and nonsensical anime series I've ever seen were VN adaptations, which makes me even more biased against the standard anime adaptations. And don't even get me started on the censorship if something has eroge content, especially if it's supposed to serve more purposes than just being an eye candy. That's like a nail in the coffin.

In any case, I've made a rule for myself to never watch a VN adaptation before playing the original. Yes, I know that series like Steins;Gate are supposed to be very good adaptations, but I'm not going to watch it until I play the VN. Whether it's a mistake or not, I've gotten to a point where I'm genuinely afraid to even try a VN adaptation lol I've become a visualnoveltoanimeadaptationphobe :p but I guess if I decide to make an exception, it's certainly going to be something like Steins;Gate, acclaimed by both the general public and, more importantly, by people whom I personally trust. Even if I won't like it, at least I'll be more or less sure that I watched a good adaptation.

Atm2222 said:

I'm not familiar with the Science Adventure series (yet) or their adaptations, but I've seen this happen in other VN adaptations all the time! It's like they just think "oh well, let's mash those routes together, ignore all the context and see how it goes" :/ all the other problems you've described, like the inadequate adaptation length, are also prevalent, of course.

Lucifrost said:
I am in favor of adapting visual novels I like.

I'm in favor of bashing my head against the wall if someone decides to adapt a VN that I like lol to me, it equals to saying something like "I'm on a mission to mock and ruin something that you hold dear, and you can't stop me, ha-ha-ha" :p I don't really mind creative changes or some personal touches here and there, but I'd be extremely worried about transferring the overall atmosphere and "vibe", and what the narrative structure would look like as a result of such an adaptation.
-YaoiBoy- said:

Most of the visual novels I like haven't been made into anime. Of those adaptations I've seen and disliked, most could have satisfied me if they had had more episodes.
その目だれの目?
Dec 22, 2023 8:06 PM

Oct 2014
A pretty substantial percentage of hentai are adapted from visual novel, which checks out since hentai is also a fair bit of what the visual novel medium is used for. Wonder if VNs are actually being neglected as a source material or if there just aren't that many VNs out there that would make good SFW anime. There are also an absurd amount of manga out there so it makes sense as a way to find good stories to turn into anime. Apparently only about 1/3 of VNs are not eroge.

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

4 by TRC_Randy »»
4 minutes ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

41 by Maou_heika »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 1 hour ago

5 by TRC_Randy »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

66 by PlasticRobot »»
10 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

26 by luckyrune »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.