Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 10, 2023 12:33 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to WalterBlack59
thunderkitten13 said:
WalterBlack59 said:

I read this shit years ago and it annoyed me then and it still does. I see everything crystal clear, you just cope and deny everything of logic. Am I the one sexualizing or did he not literally cry and really do all of this for a milquetoast flat character??
Why would he need Berthold to be alive and kill his mother what?? There are so many ways but he legit chose the wrong path every single time. I think my comprehension is on point I went over this shit multiple times over the years and watched a lot of videos and discussed it with people. The romance is garbage and forcing your whole series to be based on a one sided romance with the result being a decapitated head being kissed is disgusting. Literally hating on Mikasa the whole show and suddenly at the end he really killed the whole world for two people who btw are absolutely terribly written. What we are discussing here is just a fraction my man. There is so so so much more wrong it's actually baffling. Isayama meticulously made sure that every single plot point and character got screwed at the end. Absolutely insane how people are defending this crap and lack the basic skill to objectively see the massive plot holes and mistakes in the writing.

It’s wild how people are trying to say killing his mother in order to commit genocide was the only way Eren could help his people. I think the only thing that makes me laugh more is the people trying to say he’s a “slave to freedom”. Geez, 1st world problems much?

Exactly. Slave to freedom is an oxymoron this shit doesn't work like that 💀
@WalterBlack59 fam do u not think that Isayama wanted this to be highlighted as a paradoxical and ironic concept??
Nov 10, 2023 12:33 AM
Mar 2023
Reply to Zprotu
thunderkitten13 said:
It’s wild how people are trying to say killing his mother in order to commit genocide was the only way Eren could help his people

Not what I said. That in of itself has nothing to do with helping the people of Paradis and Eren's friends. It as a plot point was explored to highlight the encompassing and deterministic nature of the founder's power.
@Zprotu
Steven Spielberg go indepth into the idea of determinism Vs free will 👇

Nov 10, 2023 12:35 AM

Nov 2014
Reply to Zprotu
@ItsaMeAMario You bring good questions. Firstly, I'm pretty sure it was explicitly stated that whoever Eren needed to touch for the Founder's power to activate had to be a titan of royal blood and that whatever form they were in was irrelevant. This is why the Smiling Titan and Zeke activate the powers but not Historia. She, as someone of just royal blood and no titan, could only bring about memories just like her dad Rod Reiss in S3 P1.

Moreover, I want to know how being pre-determined is a bad quality, especially for a story like AOT where being "set in stone" is constantly emphasized. I also want to know which plot holes it waves away, if any. Because whenever I debate with someone who dislikes the ending due to apparent unanswered plotlines, they can't really come up with a coherent answer.

You ask if Erwin's death had a payoff. I ask, did anything if that's the case? The counter-argument that comes in the face of determinism from the watcher/reader is that nothing was worth anything. Isn't that exactly what Zeke said in chapter 137 with his conversation with Armin?

Another major moral from this story is to value the insignificant moments of life, such as playing catch-ball or running up the hill to that tree. Do you understand?
@Zprotu They are all connected to the founding titan, Eren was the one that assumed they needed to be a titan which is why he initially refused to disclose it. I don't think that's the case, him receiving his powers and memories from touching royal blood, both Rod Reiss and Historia Reiss implies it's just a person with royal blood and being a titan has nothing to do with it.

If something is pre-determined you can write anything and state that it's "pre-determined" to avoid any logical arguments. It feels like a cop out to use determinism. Controlling Bertolt is a glaring plot hole and not using the founding titan powers with Historia and Zeke are also pretty clear issues. His refusal to share information is also a plot hole, but that is waved away with the determinism line.

(By pay off to Erwin's death I mean was his sacrifice worth saving Armin) Up to the point of Erwin's death I was on the fence because I thought that the tactics shown by both Erwin and Armin were comparable. After Erwin's death Armin contributes nothing but bland lines and crying. What did he do tactically? Did he contribute anything to Paradis Island?

Yeah I get the appeal of those scenes, but they should be the cherry on the top of a well crafted story, as they were in the earlier seasons. You can't only rely on those scenes. I'm not saying the show is terrible but it missed the mark for me.
ItsaMeAMarioNov 10, 2023 12:39 AM
Nov 10, 2023 12:38 AM
Jul 2019
Zprotu said:
@WalterBlack59 fam do u not think that Isayama wanted this to be highlighted as a paradoxical and ironic concept??

Make your fucking story make sense first of all. Don't add in pseudo intellectual shit tyring to make your story complex. First it has to make sense and resolve plot points THEN you can worry about messages and whatnot. Last time I'm answering you get out of my face and let isayama spitroast you some more and keep speculating what he wanted to do when the fact he failed miserably is on the nose 💀
Nov 10, 2023 12:41 AM
Apr 2021
The alliance is given the thickest plot armor.

Speaking of plot, plenty of set ups that were never addressed. Retcons all over the final moments.

How did the worm disappear? Did they all just forget it existed?

How convenient that Mikasa just knew Eren was in the mouth.

Season 1 and 3 characters are rolling in their graves over the technology to somehow pack unlimited gas into their canisters, and thunder spears appearing out of thin air.

The shifters families just all managed to conveniently survive the biggest genocide in history and be all right there at the fort right in front of them.

Eren was never a intelligently crafted villain, which could still make you blur the lines and make you feel for him. He was always just a pathetic cartoonishly evil character.

It's never explained why Ymir reacted so strongly to Eren and cried "you are no god, no slave, just a person" which is the first and last time she shows emotion, and the first time we as the audience see her eyes. It obviously suggested that Eren "opened" her eyes". Well turns out she was waiting for Mikasa all along, cause love or whatever... Even though you can't prove Eren ever loved her before because Isayama did write characters in love through inner monologue, blushes, other characters pointing it out... which he did never do for Eren loving Mikasa and it just feels shoehorned.

How come Conny and Jean outright see Sashas ghost, even though scouts ghosts were at times visually presented, it was never outright physical ghosts that people could see.

Armin never got anyone out of any situation through talking, in every other occasion he failed, even if he got lucky and some outside entity let him escape, he never actually convinced anyone.
And for some reason, he convinced the Marley commander to not kill the Eldians, even though it's the exact same situation as in season 1, no soldier is even a little skeptical.

Falco just manages to be the first shifter to outright give his Titan one of the best abilities ever.

Pieck just triple transforms back to back even though in Declaration of War, she questions how much stamina does Eren have to do it 3 times in a way more spread out time frame.
And Magaths assistant outright says Piece is the Titan with the least amount of Stamina...

It's never explained him Erens head just survived being yeeted out of the founder and surviving, to outright transforming into a colossal which he never had.

Levi kills Zeke to stop the rumbling, but it is stated that Eren only needs Zeke because Ymir only gets ordered around by royal blood, but in paths he was supposed to have overridden that and it's never explained why that just works...

I could keep going, but to sum it sum, AoT was a very intricately detailed piece of art where the author always took the time to explain how the universe works and the rules. In the last moments all of that is thrown out of the window to make a final spectacle, superhero kind of movie, where nothing is narratively cohesive, and things just happen for shock value, without any real stakes...

just your typical superhero movie. that's what the final of aot feels like.
Nov 10, 2023 12:42 AM

Nov 2014
Reply to WalterBlack59
Zprotu said:

Make your fucking story make sense first of all. Don't add in pseudo intellectual shit tyring to make your story complex. First it has to make sense and resolve plot points THEN you can worry about messages and whatnot. Last time I'm answering you get out of my face and let isayama spitroast you some more and keep speculating what he wanted to do when the fact he failed miserably is on the nose 💀
You prefer consistency and logical coherence more than most, others don't. No need to go so hard tbh.
Nov 10, 2023 12:45 AM
Apr 2022
Zprotu said:
thunderkitten13 said:
It’s wild how people are trying to say killing his mother in order to commit genocide was the only way Eren could help his people

Not what I said. That in of itself has nothing to do with helping the people of Paradis and Eren's friends. It as a plot point was explored to highlight the encompassing and deterministic nature of the founder's power.

I wasn’t really talking about you but I’ll address your point. The problem with your assessment is the series has never been about delving into the actual science fiction of the Titan lore and the intricacies of the Titan power. We quite literally don’t even know what creates the Titan power itself besides the worm. It’s literally one of the biggest plot holes of the entire series, laughably so. Isayama obviously wanted people to digest the symbolic aspect of the story rather than be fascinated by the lore. If you want to compare this to something like Muv Luv, that series is obviously more concerned with gore and action and dread than it is presenting the audience with deep, philosophic concepts that question their morality and values. AOT has literally always been structured that way, since episode one. The first episode is literally presents how freedom is the desire of all humans beings, and that a lack of freedom leads to suffering…and no, Eren is not a slave to freedom. He is one of the few characters in the show that has complete freedom, actually.
Nov 10, 2023 12:46 AM

Nov 2014
Reply to JPedroVSC
The alliance is given the thickest plot armor.

Speaking of plot, plenty of set ups that were never addressed. Retcons all over the final moments.

How did the worm disappear? Did they all just forget it existed?

How convenient that Mikasa just knew Eren was in the mouth.

Season 1 and 3 characters are rolling in their graves over the technology to somehow pack unlimited gas into their canisters, and thunder spears appearing out of thin air.

The shifters families just all managed to conveniently survive the biggest genocide in history and be all right there at the fort right in front of them.

Eren was never a intelligently crafted villain, which could still make you blur the lines and make you feel for him. He was always just a pathetic cartoonishly evil character.

It's never explained why Ymir reacted so strongly to Eren and cried "you are no god, no slave, just a person" which is the first and last time she shows emotion, and the first time we as the audience see her eyes. It obviously suggested that Eren "opened" her eyes". Well turns out she was waiting for Mikasa all along, cause love or whatever... Even though you can't prove Eren ever loved her before because Isayama did write characters in love through inner monologue, blushes, other characters pointing it out... which he did never do for Eren loving Mikasa and it just feels shoehorned.

How come Conny and Jean outright see Sashas ghost, even though scouts ghosts were at times visually presented, it was never outright physical ghosts that people could see.

Armin never got anyone out of any situation through talking, in every other occasion he failed, even if he got lucky and some outside entity let him escape, he never actually convinced anyone.
And for some reason, he convinced the Marley commander to not kill the Eldians, even though it's the exact same situation as in season 1, no soldier is even a little skeptical.

Falco just manages to be the first shifter to outright give his Titan one of the best abilities ever.

Pieck just triple transforms back to back even though in Declaration of War, she questions how much stamina does Eren have to do it 3 times in a way more spread out time frame.
And Magaths assistant outright says Piece is the Titan with the least amount of Stamina...

It's never explained him Erens head just survived being yeeted out of the founder and surviving, to outright transforming into a colossal which he never had.

Levi kills Zeke to stop the rumbling, but it is stated that Eren only needs Zeke because Ymir only gets ordered around by royal blood, but in paths he was supposed to have overridden that and it's never explained why that just works...

I could keep going, but to sum it sum, AoT was a very intricately detailed piece of art where the author always took the time to explain how the universe works and the rules. In the last moments all of that is thrown out of the window to make a final spectacle, superhero kind of movie, where nothing is narratively cohesive, and things just happen for shock value, without any real stakes...

just your typical superhero movie. that's what the final of aot feels like.
@JPedroVSC 1 post ever and this is it. Based.
Nov 10, 2023 12:47 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to ItsaMeAMario
@Zprotu They are all connected to the founding titan, Eren was the one that assumed they needed to be a titan which is why he initially refused to disclose it. I don't think that's the case, him receiving his powers and memories from touching royal blood, both Rod Reiss and Historia Reiss implies it's just a person with royal blood and being a titan has nothing to do with it.

If something is pre-determined you can write anything and state that it's "pre-determined" to avoid any logical arguments. It feels like a cop out to use determinism. Controlling Bertolt is a glaring plot hole and not using the founding titan powers with Historia and Zeke are also pretty clear issues. His refusal to share information is also a plot hole, but that is waved away with the determinism line.

(By pay off to Erwin's death I mean was his sacrifice worth saving Armin) Up to the point of Erwin's death I was on the fence because I thought that the tactics shown by both Erwin and Armin were comparable. After Erwin's death Armin contributes nothing but bland lines and crying. What did he do tactically? Did he contribute anything to Paradis Island?

Yeah I get the appeal of those scenes, but they should be the cherry on the top of a well crafted story, as they were in the earlier seasons. You can't only rely on those scenes. I'm not saying the show is terrible but it missed the mark for me.
@ItsaMeAMario No, if that was the case, Eren wouldn't have ever rejected the 50-year plan. He needed a titan or titan-shifter with royal blood to activate the Founding Titan.

I agree with your premise that a writer could use determinism to cop out of a plot hole, but I disagree with there ever being a plot hole. Controlling the Smiling Titan in front of Bertolt was something that had *always* happened. If Bertolt got eaten -> no story according to Eren. When Eren got the Founder's powers, Bertolt not being eaten was always the case, and he had to make sure it remained that way. This plot point exists to highlight the deterministic nature of the world of AOT, not the opposite in that it is a copout due to determinism.

You ask what Armin contributed. Armin was one of the main reasons why Paradis lived in peace for centuries or even millennia after the rumbling.
Nov 10, 2023 12:48 AM

May 2019
ItsaMeAMario said:
Because "I am an idiot" is a cop out answer for why he couldn't find an alternative to becoming a literal mega Hitler. There are so many plot holes introduced by the fact that he gained all those memories after kissing Historia's hand, then they refuse to address them. Paradis Island didn't even try to solve their problem diplomatically and make Kim Jong Un look like a saint and tactician in comparison. Erwin's sacrifice meant nothing, Armin recognizing that in the final episode doesn't make the let down any better.

To me it seemed like Isayama was forcing that as the ending and was manipulating characters and situations to give rise to it. The characters and story was what made it good, if you sacrifice them simply because you want some mega Hitler ending of course people will be annoyed. The show was not bad, but it's like having a great dinner and looking forward to the dessert and the chef spikes your dessert with chili.

So in Eren’s position you would let all your people die, and be discriminated against? Or would you know exactly how to achieve all his goals without anyone dying?

You act like this isn’t a difficult as fuck thing to do. Eren saved almost all his friends, almost all his people, killed every Titan, and achieved true freedom. He literally achieved every single big goal he had, yet you think he shouldn’t have been confused about how to even do that?

He literally said how he was just an average hot headed kid who was given the powers of a god. He had the memories of hundreds of other Titan shifters, and possible future versions of himself. It’s pretty reasonable that he’d be confused about what he actually wants. Hence “I am an idiot”.
"Equivalent exchange. I'll give half of my life to you, if you give half of your life to me."
Nov 10, 2023 12:53 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to thunderkitten13
Zprotu said:
thunderkitten13 said:

I wasn’t really talking about you but I’ll address your point. The problem with your assessment is the series has never been about delving into the actual science fiction of the Titan lore and the intricacies of the Titan power. We quite literally don’t even know what creates the Titan power itself besides the worm. It’s literally one of the biggest plot holes of the entire series, laughably so. Isayama obviously wanted people to digest the symbolic aspect of the story rather than be fascinated by the lore. If you want to compare this to something like Muv Luv, that series is obviously more concerned with gore and action and dread than it is presenting the audience with deep, philosophic concepts that question their morality and values. AOT has literally always been structured that way, since episode one. The first episode is literally presents how freedom is the desire of all humans beings, and that a lack of freedom leads to suffering…and no, Eren is not a slave to freedom. He is one of the few characters in the show that has complete freedom, actually.
@thunderkitten13 I see what you mean. But in the end, does every little thing have to be explained for a story to be a story? You're asking why Titans exist in a fictional story about Titans. When you reach the fundamental explanation for anything that happens in fiction, you won't get a realistic answer bro. The exploration of lore can only go so far, if I'm understanding your statement properly.
Nov 10, 2023 12:55 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to White-The-Night
ItsaMeAMario said:
Because "I am an idiot" is a cop out answer for why he couldn't find an alternative to becoming a literal mega Hitler. There are so many plot holes introduced by the fact that he gained all those memories after kissing Historia's hand, then they refuse to address them. Paradis Island didn't even try to solve their problem diplomatically and make Kim Jong Un look like a saint and tactician in comparison. Erwin's sacrifice meant nothing, Armin recognizing that in the final episode doesn't make the let down any better.

To me it seemed like Isayama was forcing that as the ending and was manipulating characters and situations to give rise to it. The characters and story was what made it good, if you sacrifice them simply because you want some mega Hitler ending of course people will be annoyed. The show was not bad, but it's like having a great dinner and looking forward to the dessert and the chef spikes your dessert with chili.

So in Eren’s position you would let all your people die, and be discriminated against? Or would you know exactly how to achieve all his goals without anyone dying?

You act like this isn’t a difficult as fuck thing to do. Eren saved almost all his friends, almost all his people, killed every Titan, and achieved true freedom. He literally achieved every single big goal he had, yet you think he shouldn’t have been confused about how to even do that?

He literally said how he was just an average hot headed kid who was given the powers of a god. He had the memories of hundreds of other Titan shifters, and possible future versions of himself. It’s pretty reasonable that he’d be confused about what he actually wants. Hence “I am an idiot”.
@White-The-Night Finally, someone else with common f*cking sense.

WalterBlack59 said:

It already makes sense and the plot points are already resolved. Not my problem that you can't understand anything and refuse to answer refutations.

thunderkitten13 said:
Eren’s character is assassinated, Mikasa’s promisisng character growth never came, Armin does nothing to impact the story (basically no one is able to change anything because aliens), fascist principles subtlety hinted at being the keys to peace (genocide all your enemies), basically the entire story up until Historia is pointless because fate can’t be changed including destiny, cheesy reincarnation of Eren that makes zero sense symbolically (is he fee after he’s dead?), no other possible solution to the problem than genocide or suicide (euthanize Eldians), last minute reveals that had zero build up (Eren liking Miksasa, Mikasa connected to Ymir), and lastly various plot holes that were never explained in the slightest.

Didn't see this reply of yours but how do you give such horrible takes? Eren is literally the same as he's always been for the most part since his character developed a lot, Mikasa got her character growth when she was able to end Eren, Armin is literally how Paradis got a 10x longer respite (at least that) than King Fritz (barely 100 years), and fascist principles are exactly what the story tries to tell you NOT to have, the whole point of everything being pointless is refuted by Armin vs Zeke in paths, Eren was NOT reincarnated, and yes they couldn't think of other solutions to their problem because what else could've happened, Eren liking Mikasa has been shown THROUGHOUT the ENTIRE manga (blame WIT for cutting these scenes), and finally what plot holes are there?
ZprotuNov 10, 2023 2:10 AM
Nov 10, 2023 1:07 AM
Apr 2021
Bugsbunnyfake said:
If you've never swam in the ocean then of course a pool seems deep.

kya bakchodi likhi hai
Nov 10, 2023 1:15 AM
Apr 2022
Zprotu said:
@thunderkitten13 I see what you mean. But in the end, does every little thing have to be explained for a story to be a story? You're asking why Titans exist in a fictional story about Titans. When you reach the fundamental explanation for anything that happens in fiction, you won't get a realistic answer bro. The exploration of lore can only go so far, if I'm understanding your statement properly.

I don’t think you’re understanding me at all, or even understanding why people are upset. It’s not about getting down to the molecular level and seeing why titans are even possible. The issue is that Isayama not only destroyed a lot of the key elements that made the series brilliant (characters, themes, hope) but he ALSO left way too many plot holes for the story to feel satisfyingly complete. Isayama burnt a lot of people on both ends of the spectrum (emotionally and logically).
thunderkitten13Nov 10, 2023 3:59 PM
Nov 10, 2023 1:16 AM
Aug 2018
Because some of them watched a music video one time and tricked themselves into believing that the story would totally end like that music video. And also their ship didn’t happen. And also some drawing of a man holding a baby got shown before the manga ended, which means that surely it must be the final panel in the story.

And also they wanted Eren to kill his friends and be big sad about it forever, even though the whole point of everything was for his friends. And Paradise would totally be at peace forever with no possible way of a future conflict happening.
Nov 10, 2023 1:18 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to DutchyDerpBox
Because some of them watched a music video one time and tricked themselves into believing that the story would totally end like that music video. And also their ship didn’t happen. And also some drawing of a man holding a baby got shown before the manga ended, which means that surely it must be the final panel in the story.

And also they wanted Eren to kill his friends and be big sad about it forever, even though the whole point of everything was for his friends. And Paradise would totally be at peace forever with no possible way of a future conflict happening.
@DutchyDerpBox You summed it up. How unfortunate is it that they were deluded by their echo chambers? Confirmation bias is a real nasty phenomenon.
Nov 10, 2023 1:21 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to thunderkitten13
Zprotu said:

I don’t think you’re understanding me at all, or even understanding why people are upset. It’s not about getting down to the molecular level and seeing why titans are even possible. The issue is that Isayama not only destroyed a lot of the key elements that made the series brilliant (characters, themes, hope) but he ALSO left way too many plot holes for the story to feel satisfyingly complete. Isayama burnt a lot of people on both ends of the spectrum (emotionally and logically).
@thunderkitten13 Then how come I and so many others feel the exact opposite of what you are stating? The stats back us up. Are you tryna imply we, the vast majority, don't have that level of expectation and are not capable of critical thinking like y'all?
Nov 10, 2023 1:36 AM
Apr 2022
Zprotu said:

WalterBlack59 said:

It already makes sense and the plot points are already resolved. Not my problem that you can't understand anything and refuse to answer refutations.

thunderkitten13 said:
Eren’s character is assassinated, Mikasa’s promisisng character growth never came, Armin does nothing to impact the story (basically no one is able to change anything because aliens), fascist principles subtlety hinted at being the keys to peace (genocide all your enemies), basically the entire story up until Historia is pointless because fate can’t be changed including destiny, cheesy reincarnation of Eren that makes zero sense symbolically (is he fee after he’s dead?), no other possible solution to the problem than genocide or suicide (euthanize Eldians), last minute reveals that had zero build up (Eren liking Miksasa, Mikasa connected to Ymir), and lastly various plot holes that were never explained in the slightest.

Didn't see this reply of yours but how do you give such horrible takes? Eren is literally the same as he's always been, Mikasa got her character growth when she was able to end Eren, Armin is literally how Paradis got a 10x longer respite (at least that) than King Fritz (barely 100 years), and fascist principles are exactly what the story tries to tell you NOT to have, the whole point of everything being pointless is refuted by Armin vs Zeke in paths, Eren was NOT reincarnated, and yes they couldn't think of other solutions to their problem because what else could've happened, Eren liking Mikasa has been shown THROUGHOUT the ENTIRE manga (blame WIT for cutting these scenes), and finally what plot holes are there?

He’s always been capable of killing innocent children?

Mikasa killing Eren but continuing to wear his scarf and visit his grave (mind you, after he’s slaughtered millions of innocent people that had nothing to do with the war) is character growth to you?

The point about Armin is irrelevant. As soon as the world was able to, they annihilated Paradis without delay. He accomplished nothing.

The story doesn’t try to point fascist principles in a positive light? Is that why so many people agree with Eren logically that he should’ve killed his friends and did a 100 rumbling but also assert it is morally indefensible? Isayama literally wrote the story with genocide as the solution, and you honestly think it’s not inherently glorifying fascism? The story has a happy ending because of Eren’s mass genocide, you know that right? Lol. (Also, Eren literally spreads his arms out and declares he is free as the rumbling is occurring.)

The bird is symbolic of Eren, and birds represent freedom. There’s no other way to interpret the bird other than it representing Eren as free. (As mentioned above, Eren as a small boy had his arms outstretched like a bird to symbolize freedom).

Literally anything could have happened. Eren had every ability you could think of. Isayama wrote him into a corner specifically so there would be a genocide ending that is followed by peace; killing a bunch of people solved a lot of your problems, but killing everyone would have been a total solution. You have to realize we aren’t reciting history. Isayama designed this story to conclude with Eren having no ability to change the future…but logically, he should have been able to.

There’s literally no romance between the two. Everyone agrees on this, but just accept that there is something because of the affection they have for each other. However, it’s long been established that they see each other as family. Eren never gives Mikasa a look of lust or interest ONCE throughout the entire series. He’s even been violent with her a few times. The sour icing on the cake is that Eren literally told her he hated her and physically abused her closest friend Armin. Real character growth would have been Mikasa deciding then and there that Eren is an enemy, and that he must be stopped. Maybe not killed, but at least neutralized as a threat. This doesn’t happen, though. She latched on to the memory of the man she’s never even shared a kiss with…
thunderkitten13Nov 10, 2023 4:03 PM
Nov 10, 2023 1:39 AM
Apr 2022
Zprotu said:
@thunderkitten13 Then how come I and so many others feel the exact opposite of what you are stating? The stats back us up. Are you tryna imply we, the vast majority, don't have that level of expectation and are not capable of critical thinking like y'all?

Yes, I actually do think a lot of people don’t understand how to gauge the quality of a story because they are either too young or were never educated on how to do so. You and many others are literally defending a story glorifying genocide haha. Can’t wait for this to be studied in university, lol.
Nov 10, 2023 1:45 AM

Nov 2014
Reply to Zprotu
@ItsaMeAMario No, if that was the case, Eren wouldn't have ever rejected the 50-year plan. He needed a titan or titan-shifter with royal blood to activate the Founding Titan.

I agree with your premise that a writer could use determinism to cop out of a plot hole, but I disagree with there ever being a plot hole. Controlling the Smiling Titan in front of Bertolt was something that had *always* happened. If Bertolt got eaten -> no story according to Eren. When Eren got the Founder's powers, Bertolt not being eaten was always the case, and he had to make sure it remained that way. This plot point exists to highlight the deterministic nature of the world of AOT, not the opposite in that it is a copout due to determinism.

You ask what Armin contributed. Armin was one of the main reasons why Paradis lived in peace for centuries or even millennia after the rumbling.
@Zprotu If that is the case why not do the plan in Marley when he met Zeke? I think you're wrong but there isn't any actual information on whether it is just royal blood or royal blood + titan juice. It makes more sense that it is just the blood, why would the ability to transform into a titan be important? And why would they show Rod Reiss and Historia Reiss activating his attack titan ability and memories? Makes more sense if it's just blood to me.

So from my impression Eren was saying that he forced the titan to walk past Bertolt, doesn't that imply that he has powers to control titans through time? I might be misunderstanding the power or explanation but that is a huge issue imo. I can appreciate the idea of complete determinism I just don't personally like it.

Let me give you my take on how you could have all this still occur with the ending he wanted but make Armin's arc more reasonable. Imagine instead of wasting the 4 years Armin spearheaded an effort to form alliances and begin exporting natural resources around the world. Then Eren goes and destroys the progress towards peace that Armin has been making, that way the Erwin arc is paid off and the Eren decision is made all the more powerful because he actively destroyed a reasonable path to peace.
Nov 10, 2023 1:47 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to thunderkitten13
Zprotu said:

WalterBlack59 said:

thunderkitten13 said:

Didn't see this reply of yours but how do you give such horrible takes? Eren is literally the same as he's always been, Mikasa got her character growth when she was able to end Eren, Armin is literally how Paradis got a 10x longer respite (at least that) than King Fritz (barely 100 years), and fascist principles are exactly what the story tries to tell you NOT to have, the whole point of everything being pointless is refuted by Armin vs Zeke in paths, Eren was NOT reincarnated, and yes they couldn't think of other solutions to their problem because what else could've happened, Eren liking Mikasa has been shown THROUGHOUT the ENTIRE manga (blame WIT for cutting these scenes), and finally what plot holes are there?

He’s always been capable of killing innocent children?

Mikasa killing Eren but continuing to wear his scarf and visit his grave (mind you, after he’s slaughtered millions of innocent people that had nothing to do with the war) is character growth to you?

The point about Armin is irrelevant. As soon as the world was able to, they annihilated Paradis without delay. He accomplished nothing.

The story doesn’t try to point fascist principles in a positive light? Is that why so many people agree with Eren logically that he should’ve killed his friends and did a 100 rumbling but also assert it is morally indefensible? Isayama literally wrote the story with genocide as the solution, and you honestly think it’s not inherently glorifying fascism? The story has a happy ending because of Eren’s mass genocide, you know that right? Lol. (Also, Eren literally spreads his arms out and declares he is free as the rumbling is occurring.)

The bird is symbolic of Eren, and birds represent freedom. There’s no other way to interpret the bird other than it representing Eren as free. (As mentioned above, Eren as a small boy had his arms outstretched like a bird to symbolize freedom).

Literally anything could have happened. Eren had every ability you could think of. Isayama wrote him into a corner specifically so there would be a genocide ending that is followed by peace; killing a bunch of people solved a lot of your problems, but killing everyone would have been a total solution. You have to realize we aren’t reciting history. Isayama designed this story to conclude with Eren having no ability to change the future…but logically, he should have been able to.

There’s literally no romance between the two. Everyone agrees on this, but just accept that there is something because of the affection they have for each other. However, it’s long been established that they see each other as family. Eren never gives Mikasa a look of lust or interest ONCE throughout the entire series. He’s even been violent with her a few times. The sour icing on the cake is that Eren literally told her he hated her and physically abused her closest friend Armin. Real character growth would have been Mikasa deciding then and there that Eren is an enemy, and that he must be stopped. Maybe not killed, but at least neutralized as a threat. This doesn’t happen, though. She latched on to the memory of the man she’s never even shared a kiss with…
@thunderkitten13

Yes, but that doesn't mean it won't affect him over time. He's not a stone-cold killer. He feels the consequences of his actions, though this might not be easy to spot given that the anime didn't perfectly capture things like his facial expression during critical times, such as during the raid on Marley.

The fact that Mikasa actually killed Eren is the one point that's worth everything. Everything else is just proof of the selfishness that every human has.

The point about Armin is not irrelevant. What goes on after hundreds or thousands of years is not related to his initial success. It could've been for literally any reason that Paradis was carpet-bombed, your headcanon is that it was revenge.

Only a small minority in echo chambers wanted Eren to kill everyone. Isayama wrote this story to tell you that conflict is inevitable, and this is how he went about doing it. Highlighting human nature is not equivalent to highlighting fascism, unless if that's what fascism is to you, then that's a you problem. The story most definitely is not a happy ending, that's just delusional. (Eren is most definitely not happy or feeling anything positive when he declares he's free. He's clearly trying to delude himself and that is so insanely obvious that I don't even know how you got that point.)

But Isayama literally showed that peace is a delusion through conflict being inevitable. Stop contradicting yourself bro what is this? You're making 0 sense.

You only think this because you haven't seen the amount of scenes WIT cut where Eren showed concern or was caring to Mikasa from the early manga chapters.
Nov 10, 2023 1:48 AM

Nov 2014
Reply to White-The-Night
ItsaMeAMario said:

@White-The-Night Kim Jong Un looks like a saint compared to Eren. Think about that.

How about just using the titans as a mutually assured destruction? Like Kim is with nukes, that is infinitely better than genociding the rest of the world.

He achieved those goals by killing the rest of the world, that is mental retardation bro.

That's a cop out for bad writing imo. "I'm an idiot." Author was talking about himself there.
Nov 10, 2023 1:51 AM

Nov 2014
Reply to Zprotu
@DutchyDerpBox You summed it up. How unfortunate is it that they were deluded by their echo chambers? Confirmation bias is a real nasty phenomenon.
@Zprotu Us arguing here is the opposite of an echo chamber lol
Nov 10, 2023 1:53 AM
Apr 2022
Zprotu said:
@thunderkitten13

Yes, but that doesn't mean it won't affect him over time. He's not a stone-cold killer. He feels the consequences of his actions, though this might not be easy to spot given that the anime didn't perfectly capture things like his facial expression during critical times, such as during the raid on Marley.

The fact that Mikasa actually killed Eren is the one point that's worth everything. Everything else is just proof of the selfishness that every human has.

The point about Armin is not irrelevant. What goes on after hundreds or thousands of years is not related to his initial success. It could've been for literally any reason that Paradis was carpet-bombed, your headcanon is that it was revenge.

Only a small minority in echo chambers wanted Eren to kill everyone. Isayama wrote this story to tell you that conflict is inevitable, and this is how he went about doing it. Highlighting human nature is not equivalent to highlighting fascism, unless if that's what fascism is to you, then that's a you problem. The story most definitely is not a happy ending, that's just delusional. (Eren is most definitely not happy or feeling anything positive when he declares he's free. He's clearly trying to delude himself and that is so insanely obvious that I don't even know how you got that point.)

But Isayama literally showed that peace is a delusion through conflict being inevitable. Stop contradicting yourself bro what is this? You're making 0 sense.

You only think this because you haven't seen the amount of scenes WIT cut where Eren showed concern or was caring to Mikasa from the early manga chapters.

You are too dense to understand simplicity. Just watch this video and if you still don’t get it, I don’t know just go to university and take some lessons on literature and symbolism.

https://youtu.be/UVrCTFSdB9k?si=O38fXv71uDknYApj
Nov 10, 2023 1:54 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to ItsaMeAMario
@Zprotu If that is the case why not do the plan in Marley when he met Zeke? I think you're wrong but there isn't any actual information on whether it is just royal blood or royal blood + titan juice. It makes more sense that it is just the blood, why would the ability to transform into a titan be important? And why would they show Rod Reiss and Historia Reiss activating his attack titan ability and memories? Makes more sense if it's just blood to me.

So from my impression Eren was saying that he forced the titan to walk past Bertolt, doesn't that imply that he has powers to control titans through time? I might be misunderstanding the power or explanation but that is a huge issue imo. I can appreciate the idea of complete determinism I just don't personally like it.

Let me give you my take on how you could have all this still occur with the ending he wanted but make Armin's arc more reasonable. Imagine instead of wasting the 4 years Armin spearheaded an effort to form alliances and begin exporting natural resources around the world. Then Eren goes and destroys the progress towards peace that Armin has been making, that way the Erwin arc is paid off and the Eren decision is made all the more powerful because he actively destroyed a reasonable path to peace.
@ItsaMeAMario The fact is that Eren needed a titan/titan-shifter of royal blood to activate the founder's powers. If that wasn't the case, the Jaegrists wouldn't have planned for Historia to eat Zeke.

Eren made sure that what happened did end up happening. He did not initiate the titan walking past Bertolt, he made sure it remained that way. Everything that happened, could've been different but wasn't because that's what Eren wanted. "Even if this is what I wanted" (chapter 130, 131). He gave freedom of choice to everyone.

Bro the Azamabito plot point is what you're describing you know?? They tried to ally with other nations but it was proven through the conference they attended that other nations wanted nothing to do with Island Devils. This is when Eren went ahead and destroyed any remaining chances of progress toward peace (Declaration of War).
Nov 10, 2023 1:57 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to thunderkitten13
Zprotu said:
@thunderkitten13

You are too dense to understand simplicity. Just watch this video and if you still don’t get it, I don’t know just go to university and take some lessons on literature and symbolism.

https://youtu.be/UVrCTFSdB9k?si=O38fXv71uDknYApj
@thunderkitten13 Ad hominems are not proper refutals. Didn't your university teach you that? And you know what truly is fascist? Thinking that a 100% genocide will give you any semblance of victory/peace and that conflict would magically disappear.
Nov 10, 2023 1:58 AM

Nov 2014
Reply to Zprotu
@ItsaMeAMario The fact is that Eren needed a titan/titan-shifter of royal blood to activate the founder's powers. If that wasn't the case, the Jaegrists wouldn't have planned for Historia to eat Zeke.

Eren made sure that what happened did end up happening. He did not initiate the titan walking past Bertolt, he made sure it remained that way. Everything that happened, could've been different but wasn't because that's what Eren wanted. "Even if this is what I wanted" (chapter 130, 131). He gave freedom of choice to everyone.

Bro the Azamabito plot point is what you're describing you know?? They tried to ally with other nations but it was proven through the conference they attended that other nations wanted nothing to do with Island Devils. This is when Eren went ahead and destroyed any remaining chances of progress toward peace (Declaration of War).
@Zprotu No you see, Eren could have actually done it with Historia but it was pre-determined that he do it with Zeke 4 years later. Sorry Determinism is a bitch.

They accomplished exactly zero with the Azamabito plot point. Literally useless.
Nov 10, 2023 1:58 AM
Apr 2022
Zprotu said:
@thunderkitten13 Ad hominems are not proper refutals. Didn't your university teach you that? And you know what truly is fascist? Thinking that a 100% genocide will give you any semblance of victory/peace and that conflict would magically disappear.

I already said I’m not replying to you anymore. Either watch the video or not, I don’t care.
Nov 10, 2023 2:02 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to ItsaMeAMario
@Zprotu No you see, Eren could have actually done it with Historia but it was pre-determined that he do it with Zeke 4 years later. Sorry Determinism is a bitch.

They accomplished exactly zero with the Azamabito plot point. Literally useless.
@ItsaMeAMario

It's literally explicit that you'd need a titan/titan-shifter of royal blood for Eren to use the founder's powers. That's how it has always been understood and that's why the story is structured the way it is. You'll have to bring up proof if you claim otherwise.

And thanks for proving my point and answering your own question regarding Armin/Azamabito.

ItsaMeAMario said:

Apologies, I was referring to the AOE bros.

thunderkitten13 said:
Yes, I actually do think a lot of people don’t understand how to gauge the quality of a story because they are either too young or were never educated on how to do so. You and many others are literally defending a story glorifying genocide haha. Can’t wait for this to be studied in university, lol.

Then that's the case for everything in anime. Which is fallacious. This story doesn't glorify genocide, that's the opposite of what it does. You know what does though? A 100% rumbling that kills everyone and somehow brings peace and magically removes all conflict.

ZprotuNov 10, 2023 2:15 AM
Nov 10, 2023 2:10 AM

Nov 2014
Reply to Zprotu
@ItsaMeAMario

It's literally explicit that you'd need a titan/titan-shifter of royal blood for Eren to use the founder's powers. That's how it has always been understood and that's why the story is structured the way it is. You'll have to bring up proof if you claim otherwise.

And thanks for proving my point and answering your own question regarding Armin/Azamabito.

ItsaMeAMario said:

Apologies, I was referring to the AOE bros.

thunderkitten13 said:

Then that's the case for everything in anime. Which is fallacious. This story doesn't glorify genocide, that's the opposite of what it does. You know what does though? A 100% rumbling that kills everyone and somehow brings peace and magically removes all conflict.

@Zprotu I haven't read it but have just rewatched the show. In season 3, Eren assumes you need to be a titan and that's the extent of it. But we've already seen that Rod Reiss and Historia trigger his powers through touch.

The way it was written the Azamabito section was never perceived as a reasonable solution by the audience. I'm saying that if they had Armin crafting strong relations with say enemies of Marley giving themselves a power block against Marley then that would pay off Erwin and additionally give more value to the Eren destruction arc.
Nov 10, 2023 2:18 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to ItsaMeAMario
@Zprotu I haven't read it but have just rewatched the show. In season 3, Eren assumes you need to be a titan and that's the extent of it. But we've already seen that Rod Reiss and Historia trigger his powers through touch.

The way it was written the Azamabito section was never perceived as a reasonable solution by the audience. I'm saying that if they had Armin crafting strong relations with say enemies of Marley giving themselves a power block against Marley then that would pay off Erwin and additionally give more value to the Eren destruction arc.
@ItsaMeAMario Doesn't Zeke and Ksavar confirm what I said though? Rod Reiss and Historia trigger memories, not powers.

And I'm telling you that relations with other nations were impossible because of what was said in the conference and because it was stated that the other nations hate Eldians even more than the people of Marley. Eren understood this, which is why he left the conference and the scouts too, and did what he did during the raid of Liberio.
Nov 10, 2023 2:31 AM

Nov 2014
Reply to Zprotu
@ItsaMeAMario Doesn't Zeke and Ksavar confirm what I said though? Rod Reiss and Historia trigger memories, not powers.

And I'm telling you that relations with other nations were impossible because of what was said in the conference and because it was stated that the other nations hate Eldians even more than the people of Marley. Eren understood this, which is why he left the conference and the scouts too, and did what he did during the raid of Liberio.
@Zprotu I don't remember Zeke saying anything about it. The only thing I remember touching on it was Eren's assumption after controlling the titans.

Marley said that all of their enemies attacked them after the failed mission on Paradis island. Why would those countries that were attacking and losing to Marley not accept diplomatic relations with Paradis Island? Logically it makes no sense.
Nov 10, 2023 2:37 AM

Jan 2019
I haven't seen any discussion about it on MAL but the anime changed quite a bit about Eren and Armin's final conversation in the manga. I think it was definitely an improvement and legitimately fixed a lot of my problems with it, so I encourage you to look up a comparison between the two versions if you're interested.

That being said, the ending is really fucking complicated and I think a lot of people, haters and lovers alike, just don't understand it.

I don't blame people for this of course, Eren is very hard to piece together from his changing motivations depending on which parts of the future he knew at certain times, and at which points he was lying and telling the truth. 

And that's before you try to grasp Ymir's character arc, who's super ambiguous with literally no dialogue.

It's taken me a while to fully wrap my head around all that, and I'm still trying to figure out what the post credits scene means, but I'm much happier with the anime than I was with the manga.

You've probably already been linked it, but this video is a great starting point to understanding Eren's character: https://youtu.be/H6GmVCD7cxk?si=4q07ox8FvxAaovg0

Nov 10, 2023 2:44 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to ItsaMeAMario
@Zprotu I don't remember Zeke saying anything about it. The only thing I remember touching on it was Eren's assumption after controlling the titans.

Marley said that all of their enemies attacked them after the failed mission on Paradis island. Why would those countries that were attacking and losing to Marley not accept diplomatic relations with Paradis Island? Logically it makes no sense.
@ItsaMeAMario Ksavar confirmed it in s4 ep15

Why would they not accept diplomatic relations? Because they hate Paradis even more.
Nov 10, 2023 3:02 AM

Jul 2015
It's just a VERY loud and vocal minority who doesn't like the ending.

Nov 10, 2023 3:05 AM

May 2019
ItsaMeAMario said:
@White-The-Night Kim Jong Un looks like a saint compared to Eren. Think about that.

How about just using the titans as a mutually assured destruction? Like Kim is with nukes, that is infinitely better than genociding the rest of the world.

He achieved those goals by killing the rest of the world, that is mental retardation bro.

That's a cop out for bad writing imo. "I'm an idiot." Author was talking about himself there.

Kim Jong Un enslaves people because he enjoys it. Eren killed the people of nations who wanted to murder everyone he ever met, even though nobody there ever knew those nations existed.

Eren and all his people were going to be killed for their race, or at best essentially castrated and made to live on an enclosed island for the rest of their lives. Yeah, he chose his own people over everyone else.

How would using the titans work as a threat when they were losing, even with the titans? Titan shifters live for 13 years, so that’s how long that would work anyway. The only agreement that Marley came to was the castration plan. There really wasn’t any other reliable way for Eren to win.
"Equivalent exchange. I'll give half of my life to you, if you give half of your life to me."
Nov 10, 2023 3:21 AM
Jul 2021
i didn’t like the manga ending because of the massive character assassination of almost all the main cast (bar jean and connie and a couple others). Armin changed for the worst, don’t even get me started on mikasa and eren is an obvious one as well. But in the anime they changed some stuff for the better so the ending in the anime was actually pretty decent. I’d give it a solid 7-8/10 and the manga ending a 4/10
Nov 10, 2023 3:31 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Zprotu
Don't let the vocal minority influence your expectations or your opinions.

And make sure to enjoy whatever you do.
@Zprotu Ehhh I don’t think you can call those who don’t like the ending a vocal minority. When the manga ended, the majority of fans were shitting on it and losing their minds over how bad the ending was. Now that many years have passed and the anime ends most of those people probably aren’t even interested anymore. (Im about the same boat)
Nov 10, 2023 3:39 AM

Dec 2012
@ForeverTraitor Yeah, most of the "retcons" & "plot holes" can be explained by reading between the lines. None of the characters are all knowing and only have limited knowledge. When Eren says "Only Ymir knows", we as the audience can already interpret her motives through various scenes (such as when she purposely left the pig pen door open). When Eren says he doesn't know why he did the Rumbling, that's the best answer he can give Armin. We already know his primary motive based on his mental breakdown in the opening scene of the Final Chapters (131 in the manga).

That said, I just find the ending to be generally lacking. It's thematically sound, but plays out rather weakly in certain regards. For example, the Ymir & Mikasa parallel is there. I just don't think it's a great resolution for ending the curse of the titans.

Another example is the source of titan powers being that spinal creature. After all of this mystery & intrigue, it essentially just came down to muh evolution.
ZekkenshinNov 10, 2023 3:43 AM
Nov 10, 2023 3:45 AM

Jan 2019
Zekkenshin said:
@ForeverTraitor Yeah, most of the "retcons" & "plot holes" can be explained by reading between the lines. None of the characters are all knowing and only have limited knowledge. When Eren says "Only Ymir knows", we as the audience can already interpret her motives through various scenes (such as when she purposely left the pig pen door open). When Eren says he doesn't know why he did the Rumbling, that's the best answer he can give Armin. We already know his primary motive based on his mental breakdown in the opening scene of the Final Chapters (131 in the manga).

That said, I just find the ending to be generally lacking. It's thematically sound, but plays out rather weakly in certain regards. For example, the Ymir & Mikasa parallel is there. I just don't think it's a great resolution for ending the curse of the titans.

Another example is the source of titan powers being that spinal creature. After all of this mystery & intrigue, it essentially just came down to muh evolution.

Yeah I can agree with that, Ymir and Mikasa aren't really given enough screentime, especially pre-timeskip for them to make a truly satisfying ending.

And I personally find the action setpiece on the back of the giant ribcage to be the weakest in the series, just throwing hundreds of past titans at the characters kinda reduces their impact.

Nov 10, 2023 4:59 AM
Jun 2021
Liking or disliking is a Personal choice, so that's the basic thing everyone should accept

However in the case of AOT, a lot of people (mostly immature teens) just hate it to pretend that their favourite anime is better and whatever! This "I started hating a series just because I wasn't satisfied by the ending" is probably the lamest excuse ever, but well that's basically an irrelevant minority made up of teens who would realise how dumb they were hating on an iconic show like this which is representing the anime media on a global level with a lot of pride!

Also I would like this to add for the fanbase, constructive criticism should always be respected but the blind hate should be ignored or just cancelled
Nov 10, 2023 9:07 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Personally, I'm on board with what @thunderkitten13 and others have already stated.

The writing for this ending is really not well done at all even with the supposed improvements that came from erasing or changing some lines of dialogue from the manga. The relationship between Eren and Mikasa is still weird, Ymir's one with Fritz is even more weird and there are some plot points that were left up to interpretation that didn't really convince me by the end such as the parasite.

I'm happy for those people who can just brush those things off and enjoy it. I couldn't fully do that. However, even with those flaws I still gave the finale an OK score, mainly because of the production behind it.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Nov 10, 2023 1:12 PM

Nov 2014
Reply to shash_sama18
Liking or disliking is a Personal choice, so that's the basic thing everyone should accept

However in the case of AOT, a lot of people (mostly immature teens) just hate it to pretend that their favourite anime is better and whatever! This "I started hating a series just because I wasn't satisfied by the ending" is probably the lamest excuse ever, but well that's basically an irrelevant minority made up of teens who would realise how dumb they were hating on an iconic show like this which is representing the anime media on a global level with a lot of pride!

Also I would like this to add for the fanbase, constructive criticism should always be respected but the blind hate should be ignored or just cancelled
@shash_sama18

> Liking or disliking is a Personal choice

> that's basically an irrelevant minority made up of teens who would realise how dumb they were hating on an iconic show like this which is representing the anime media on a global level

Ironic, agree with the first take then immediately followed by a pure contradiction of your own statement.
Nov 10, 2023 2:46 PM
Nov 2015
I liked it and so did my friends
Nov 10, 2023 2:53 PM
Aug 2019
FloRathalos said:
I'm kinda surprised. Everyone told me it was the absolute worst, and this show being to me a masterpiece, I remember being outraged of how people would give the entire show "1" because of the end. Yet, here I am, in my bed, speechless before what I just watched. I think it was an amazing ending, in fact, I think it couldn't have been any better. It was literally the best ending I could have ever expected. So can someone explain me why the hell is everyone so angry about?
Because personally, I didn't expect a lame ending with simply the wars ending and eldia being at peace wether because all of humanity was decimated or because they successfuly made peace. This mind blowing and deeply philosophical content is exactly what I hoped for, and thank you Isayama for what you did. My best wishes

Most people who dislike the ending are probably very dissatisfied with Eren’s explanation of why everything transpired the way it did. I know I was. Eren’s certainty in wanting a specific outcome yet being confused about why and having tons of conflicts of interest is … stupid, which I think is why Isayama decided to just make Eren call himself stupid in the end lol.

Ymir’s goal as explained by Eren is also dissatisfying. Who sets out to make an event happen (that you can already see happen anyway) so that it can have some effect on your mental state. You’ve already seen it! Lmao, it doesn’t make sense.

Going off of that, everything is messy and muddled with the complicated and contradicting mechanics to the point where everything that transpires is dubious. And when you unravel it all on top of that, things just do not make sense.

Going even further, I feel like there were also several missed opportunities in this final season for more interesting outcomes, which were passed on in favor of preserving the lives of main crew. Same for preserving their moral integrity or likability.

One last thing to mention, the presentation of the themes and messaging this season was overly unsubtle to the point where they don’t land well. Not that being blunt can’t work depending on the scene and direction, but it definitely did not work here.

It’s upsetting to me that it ended up this way really. The show has a GOATed climax in season 3 part 2 and had the potential to be the definitive GOAT despite some missed opportunities in the first season. And now it’s the biggest disappointment. I feel so meh about the series now.
Nov 10, 2023 3:52 PM
Jun 2021
ItsaMeAMario said:
@shash_sama18

> Liking or disliking is a Personal choice

> that's basically an irrelevant minority made up of teens who would realise how dumb they were hating on an iconic show like this which is representing the anime media on a global level

Ironic, agree with the first take then immediately followed by a pure contradiction of your own statement.

Read the second paragraph again, I have already mentioned the phrase "However In case of AOT" & then read the last paragraph second line - "Constructive criticism should always be respected"

Sorry there was no contradiction, I am just annoyed by the fact that it's getting trendy to hate popular stuff for dumb reasons and most of these people belong to the teenage category and thus that concludes my explanation
Nov 10, 2023 4:08 PM
Apr 2022
rasterman7 said:
Personally, I'm on board with what @thunderkitten13 and others have already stated.

The writing for this ending is really not well done at all even with the supposed improvements that came from erasing or changing some lines of dialogue from the manga. The relationship between Eren and Mikasa is still weird, Ymir's one with Fritz is even more weird and there are some plot points that were left up to interpretation that didn't really convince me by the end such as the parasite.

I'm happy for those people who can just brush those things off and enjoy it. I couldn't fully do that. However, even with those flaws I still gave the finale an OK score, mainly because of the production behind it.

Fair assessment. I honestly am flabbergasted how some people outright ignore King Fritz’s role on the whole story. There are abusive relationships, but Ymir would literally have to be a saidst and a masochist to be in love with someone that has only ever abused them. The production value of the entire series up until the Rumbling was amazing. I just can’t stomach the ending so will probably never rewatch this series again. I’m a bit more critically on more popular work, and I think the ending narratively speaking destroyed the integrity of the entire story. Despite this, if people want to enjoy it for what it is then that’s fair.
Nov 10, 2023 4:10 PM
Apr 2022
ghier said:
FloRathalos said:
I'm kinda surprised. Everyone told me it was the absolute worst, and this show being to me a masterpiece, I remember being outraged of how people would give the entire show "1" because of the end. Yet, here I am, in my bed, speechless before what I just watched. I think it was an amazing ending, in fact, I think it couldn't have been any better. It was literally the best ending I could have ever expected. So can someone explain me why the hell is everyone so angry about?
Because personally, I didn't expect a lame ending with simply the wars ending and eldia being at peace wether because all of humanity was decimated or because they successfuly made peace. This mind blowing and deeply philosophical content is exactly what I hoped for, and thank you Isayama for what you did. My best wishes

Most people who dislike the ending are probably very dissatisfied with Eren’s explanation of why everything transpired the way it did. I know I was. Eren’s certainty in wanting a specific outcome yet being confused about why and having tons of conflicts of interest is … stupid, which I think is why Isayama decided to just make Eren call himself stupid in the end lol.

Ymir’s goal as explained by Eren is also dissatisfying. Who sets out to make an event happen (that you can already see happen anyway) so that it can have some effect on your mental state. You’ve already seen it! Lmao, it doesn’t make sense.

Going off of that, everything is messy and muddled with the complicated and contradicting mechanics to the point where everything that transpires is dubious. And when you unravel it all on top of that, things just do not make sense.

Going even further, I feel like there were also several missed opportunities in this final season for more interesting outcomes, which were passed on in favor of preserving the lives of main crew. Same for preserving their moral integrity or likability.

One last thing to mention, the presentation of the themes and messaging this season was overly unsubtle to the point where they don’t land well. Not that being blunt can’t work depending on the scene and direction, but it definitely did not work here.

It’s upsetting to me that it ended up this way really. The show has a GOATed climax in season 3 part 2 and had the potential to be the definitive GOAT despite some missed opportunities in the first season. And now it’s the biggest disappointment. I feel so meh about the series now.

Ya, that’s entirely illogical. It’s like if Ymir wanted to change her menta state, why not make a perfect family or something? She’s on either extreme of either I love King Fritz completely or I genocide more than half the planet’s population to get over my ex.
Nov 10, 2023 8:16 PM

Mar 2022
Reply to Bugsbunnyfake
Zprotu said:
@Bugsbunnyfake "Oh look at me I'm so knowledgeable"

It's all subjective in the end, that's all there is to it.

If ignorance is a bliss then you must be the happiest person in the world.
@Bugsbunnyfake not gonna like, but you look like a clown when all you do is spout bs without any justification.
Its not wrong to hate the ending, but your words are absolutely baseless.
Nov 10, 2023 8:18 PM
Mar 2023
Blueberry173 said:
@Bugsbunnyfake not gonna like, but you look like a clown when all you do is spout bs without any justification.
Its not wrong to hate the ending, but your words are absolutely baseless.

Then Cry peasants.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season - Kanketsu-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 4, 2023

1459 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
May 1, 11:35 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season - Kanketsu-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 3, 2023

1049 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
May 1, 10:18 AM

» Why is this so ugly??? ( 1 2 )

kizumi91 - Nov 5, 2023

59 by Akuya »»
Apr 25, 7:19 AM

» What would the characters favorite anime be?

TASM18 - Apr 5

25 by kush_void »»
Apr 7, 6:13 PM

» about episodic version of final chapters

taru_otaku - Nov 19, 2023

8 by Adrena »»
Apr 5, 7:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.