Forum Settings
Forums

I am not sure if this is the right place to post

New
May 25, 2010 8:11 PM

May 2010
I have been trying the IRC chat, but whenever I am on, I just see idlers and no one chats. How do i actually join the conversation?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 25, 2010 8:13 PM

Apr 2008
You're not doing anything wrong, no one talks in there. Really.
May 25, 2010 8:14 PM

May 2010
But there are like 100 people in the chat!?
May 25, 2010 8:26 PM

Jul 2009
That is how IRC works.

Once a channel dies it is never going to come back. When I was in #myanimelist it was alive but, now it is dead. I doubt you can bring it back. I doubt anyone could.

Also having too many people in an irc channel can be very fatal. So can limiting it to a small amount of people.

IRC is very delicate.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
May 25, 2010 8:30 PM

Jun 2008
MAL has an IRC channel? Wooooow.
May 25, 2010 8:30 PM

Jul 2009
Tachii said:
MAL has an IRC channel? Wooooow.

For years now, yes.

May 25, 2010 9:01 PM

Nov 2007
ESSWHY said:
That is how IRC works.

Once a channel dies it is never going to come back. When I was in #myanimelist it was alive but, now it is dead. I doubt you can bring it back. I doubt anyone could.

Also having too many people in an irc channel can be very fatal. So can limiting it to a small amount of people.

IRC is very delicate.

My IRC chan is still very much alive. Not all that many people, and there are slow times without much chat but it still sees quite a bit every day when people are awake. I'm pretty happy with it.
May 25, 2010 9:16 PM

Jul 2009
Asako said:
ESSWHY said:
That is how IRC works.

IRC is very delicate.

My IRC chan is still very much alive. Not all that many people, and there are slow times without much chat but it still sees quite a bit every day when people are awake. I'm pretty happy with it.

did your channel die completely and then come back? Or is your channel #myanimelist? :<

May 25, 2010 10:06 PM

Nov 2007
It's never really died but it's had long quiet periods (several days with only a few lines). And no, it's not #myanimelist D:
May 29, 2010 12:11 PM

May 2010
So why do people go there even though no one talks? Are there any good IRC chats or really active forum you guys know?
May 29, 2010 12:18 PM

Feb 2008
I tried to join IRC but without success. IRC softwares has been telling me to pay, so I could use their program without problem.
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

May 29, 2010 1:30 PM

Jun 2008
spupapi said:
I tried to join IRC but without success. IRC softwares has been telling me to pay, so I could use their program without problem.
Pretty sure my mIRC has told me I haven't bought the thing over like 1000 days already. It still let me in for some reason, which is hilarious.
Confucius said:
So why do people go there even though no one talks? Are there any good IRC chats or really active forum you guys know?
There's probably multiple varieties for so many ppl on IRC online yet not posting at all. They might be writing on a different channel. They might leave their computer on for days and keep IRC on, and I guess have some sort of command to rejoin if disconnected. They might just be downloading stuff on IRC thus keeping the channel open for days. I dunno the most important reason tho.
May 30, 2010 2:33 AM
Mar 2008
Tachii said:
There's probably multiple varieties for so many ppl on IRC online yet not posting at all. They might be writing on a different channel. They might leave their computer on for days and keep IRC on, and I guess have some sort of command to rejoin if disconnected. They might just be downloading stuff on IRC thus keeping the channel open for days. I dunno the most important reason tho.

The main reason is that IRC isn't view as the place to chat, at least not for me and those whom I email with. It's the place to "seek for what you want, idle until you finish obtaining it, and then get the heck out."

I would bet that MAL would have a lot of users participating in chat rooms if it has a real chat room, rather than an IRC.

Why doesn't MAL have an official chat room though, by the way? I thought it's a pretty popular website among those who are into anime and manga o.0
ThirdQEDMay 30, 2010 2:40 AM
May 30, 2010 3:15 AM

Nov 2007
What's an "official" chat room? Some sort of java applet here on the site? Why should Xinil waste time on that when IRC already exists, and there's far more important things for him to be doing?
May 30, 2010 4:57 AM
Mar 2008
@Asako:
Well, even if he couldn't find the time to maintain the server or lack the resources to host one, shout box works, too--and shout boxes are a lot cheaper and easier to maintain than the chats. With skills and experience like him, shouldn't be a big problem ;-)
ThirdQEDMay 30, 2010 5:04 AM
May 30, 2010 5:07 AM

Nov 2007
Shoutboxes have been rejected in the past, thankfully.
May 30, 2010 5:13 AM
Mar 2008
@Asako:
Oh, there gone an extra quick-n-easy can-of-spam :-(
I guess the presence of a spam section of the forum defeat its purpose.
Oh well, thanks for the update.
May 30, 2010 8:33 AM

Nov 2009
There may even be thousands of users on a channel, but they're all lurking or leeching off the bots.

It all depends on what channel you're on. If you find one with lots of active people you can chat all day.

May 30, 2010 9:20 AM

Aug 2008
Plate said:
You're not doing anything wrong, no one talks in there. Really.

Which makes me wonder - what's the point?
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.