Forum Settings
Forums

Sunrise Produces New 'Macross' Anime Project

New
Jun 4, 2023 8:15 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The sixth and final day of the Walküre Final Live Tour 2023 concert ended with an announcement on Sunday that a new Macross anime project is currently in production.

Sunrise, the animation studio behind the Gundam and Love Live franchises, will produce the new anime project.

Shoji Kawamori and Studio Nue created the Macross franchise in 1982, beginning with a 36-episode television anime by Tatsunoko Production and subsequently producing multiple sequels and movies in the following years.

Macross Δ (Macross Delta), the latest television anime in the franchise, aired in 26 episodes in Spring 2016.

The latest installments, Macross Δ: Zettai Live!!! anime movie (pictured right) and the Macross Frontier: Toki no Meikyuu short movie, opened in theaters in Japan simultaneously in October 2021.

Official site: https://macross.jp/
Official Twitter: @macrossD

Source: Comic Natalie

Macross (Shinsaku Animation) on MAL
VindstotJun 4, 2023 9:16 PM

Jun 4, 2023 8:17 PM

Jan 2019
gundam x macross pausechamp

Jun 4, 2023 9:19 PM

Sep 2020
Is Macross an idol anime ?
Jun 4, 2023 9:28 PM

Mar 2015
It'll be interesting to see what Sunrise can do with Macross. Their approach to creating mecha is so different to what Satelight has been doing with frontier and delta. Hopefully we start seeing who all is attached to the project soon.
Jun 4, 2023 10:02 PM
Apr 2013
Could be anything really. I was thinking it's about time since its been. Actually if you think about it the time gap between frontier and delta is about the same as delta and now, so about as schedule perhaps?
Not that I have any idea.
Jun 4, 2023 10:36 PM

Jan 2009
wow sunrise has both macross and gundam now the 2 most popular mecha anime franchise of all time
Jun 4, 2023 11:45 PM
Jul 2019
ZXEAN said:

From what I've seen they always have idol/singer characters, so music is often one of the themes but is not the central focus.

If you think Oshi no Ko is an idol anime, then this series is too.

Even Love Live! is just half of what you would find from actual idol anime. As it's mostly school slice-of-life, cute girls doing music things.
nevergainJun 5, 2023 12:04 AM
Jun 5, 2023 1:44 AM

Apr 2012
Can I joke about the female protagonist and copying Utena already? However, entrusting this to Ichiro again would be too fat even for me. Announcing this show as a 40th anniversary project is a little hopeful, but I'm talking about a studio that thoughtlessly turned a new era Gundam into a set of 20 year old anime elements. Not to mention that, unlike G-Witch, this is the main official chronology.

KurokamiPhantom said:
It'll be interesting to see what Sunrise can do with Macross. Their approach to creating mecha is so different to what Satelight has been doing with frontier and delta. Hopefully we start seeing who all is attached to the project soon.
Jokes are jokes, but judging by the poster (?), it will most likely resemble Symphogear on airplanes, which already gives me vague feelings.

ZXEAN said:
More like a mecha with musical elements.

nevergain said:
ZXEAN said:

From what I've seen they always have idol/singer characters, so music is often one of the themes but is not the central focus.

If you think Oshi no Ko is an idol anime, then this series is too.

Even Love Live! is just half of what you would find from actual idol anime. As it's mostly school slice-of-life, cute girls doing music things.
I don't see a reason why school SoL and CGDCT conflict with the idea of an anime idol.
RobertBobertJun 5, 2023 1:57 AM
Jun 5, 2023 6:09 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Can I joke about the female protagonist and copying Utena already? However, entrusting this to Ichiro again would be too fat even for me. Announcing this show as a 40th anniversary project is a little hopeful, but I'm talking about a studio that thoughtlessly turned a new era Gundam into a set of 20 year old anime elements. Not to mention that, unlike G-Witch, this is the main official chronology.

KurokamiPhantom said:
Jokes are jokes, but judging by the poster (?), it will most likely resemble Symphogear on airplanes, which already gives me vague feelings.
That is not a poster for the new Macross. That's a poster for the previous Macross entry Zettai Live! which came out in 2021. They haven't shown any sort of artwork for this new entry. And despite being pretty similar to Symphogears Macross Delta still has plenty of the classic Macross Valkyrie action.
Jun 5, 2023 6:37 AM

Apr 2012
KurokamiPhantom said:
RobertBobert said:

That is not a poster for the new Macross. That's a poster for the previous Macross entry Zettai Live! which came out in 2021. They haven't shown any sort of artwork for this new entry. And despite being pretty similar to Symphogears Macross Delta still has plenty of the classic Macross Valkyrie action.
I figured that out when I checked the records, but thanks anyway. I have nothing against Symphogear, just like with G-Witch, I would like to get something closer to the traditional formula, even updated for a modern audience.
Jun 5, 2023 7:04 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Sunrise mecha monopoly. Single-handedly keeping mecha alive.
Jun 5, 2023 10:20 PM
Apr 2022
BatoKusanagi said:
Sunrise mecha monopoly. Single-handedly keeping mecha alive.

Well, Bandai is keeping it in house, so of course they would make Sunrise do it.

Jun 5, 2023 11:44 PM

Mar 2019
Sunrise did always seem like they were 1 step away from making Macross. I hope that his will be more like 7 or Frontier, rather than anything like Plus or Zero. Though Macross as a franchise is nearly collectively afraid of going against what the first series was like. Here's me crossing my fingers for no male protagonist and two girls love triangle. I also hope that Hikaru Ichijou won't show up in this.

Not that there's anything wrong with love triangles, they might as well have 2 male idols and a female fighter pilot, or even three male characters in a love triangle. Although none of these things are going to happen because that would upset the target demographic.
KumiveneellaJun 6, 2023 12:05 AM
Jun 6, 2023 1:26 AM

Apr 2012
Kumiveneella said:
Sunrise did always seem like they were 1 step away from making Macross. I hope that his will be more like 7 or Frontier, rather than anything like Plus or Zero. Though Macross as a franchise is nearly collectively afraid of going against what the first series was like. Here's me crossing my fingers for no male protagonist and two girls love triangle. I also hope that Hikaru Ichijou won't show up in this.

Not that there's anything wrong with love triangles, they might as well have 2 male idols and a female fighter pilot, or even three male characters in a love triangle. Although none of these things are going to happen because that would upset the target demographic.
They've already created G-Witch with a mixed reception of the formula change and Bandai explicitly assigned Sunrise after G-Witch so anything is possible. For some reason it seems to me that this is in danger of becoming the second Symhogear, although this does not make sense. It would seem that copying Utena and Victory also did not make much sense, since they positioned the Witch as a Gundam of a new era, but okay.
Jun 6, 2023 2:28 AM

Mar 2019
RobertBobert said:
Kumiveneella said:

They've already created G-Witch with a mixed reception of the formula change and Bandai explicitly assigned Sunrise after G-Witch so anything is possible. For some reason it seems to me that this is in danger of becoming the second Symhogear, although this does not make sense. It would seem that copying Utena and Victory also did not make much sense, since they positioned the Witch as a Gundam of a new era, but okay.
The AU's are always "Gundam's of the new era", and they always have mixed reception from the fans of the UC content, just look at G Gundam, Wing, After War X, Seed, 00, Age and Ibo. I'd hardly say that the same group that dislikes G Witch didn't dislike those. In 44 years Gundam's had about 6 new era's already. I would be curious on your point about G Witch copying Victory, because I personally don't see it. Most of the mixed reception has only really been from the vocal minority to my experience, and the series seems to be selling quite well.

Sunrise also makes a lot of other Gundam content in addition to just G Witch so what's your point? You act as if there's some grant controversy, when I for one have not seen any. Who do you think the UC content is for? Who is Hathaway's flash for, who are the upcoming Gundam Seed and 00 movies for? Do you honestly think that AU and UC content are made with the same demographic in mind, what about SD Gundam; who is that for?

My point was mainly a joke about neither of those situations featuring female signers. And what's wrong with Symphogear? I'd say Macross Delta is already pretty Symphogear esque. I'd frankly say that Utena was Gundam with swords in the first place, the sword of Deimos is the Gundam, and the people who posses the rose rings are newtypes.
KumiveneellaJun 6, 2023 2:33 AM
Jun 6, 2023 2:32 AM

Apr 2012
Kumiveneella said:
RobertBobert said:
The AU's are always "Gundam's of the new era", and they always have mixed reception from the fans of the UC content, just look at G Gundam, Wing, After War X, Seed, 00, Age and Ibo. I'd hardly say that the same group that dislikes G Witch didn't dislike those. In 44 years Gundam's had about 6 new era's already. I would be curious on your point about G Witch copying Victory, because I personally don't see it. Most of the mixed reception has only really been from the vocal minority to my experience, and the series seems to be selling quite well.

Sunrise also makes a lot of other Gundam content in addition to just G Witch so what's your point? You act as if there's some grant controversy, when I for one have not seen any. Who do you think the UC content is for? Who is Hathaway's flash for, who are the upcoming Gundam Seed and 00 movies for? Do you honestly think that AU and UC content are made with the same demographic in mind, what about SD Gundam; who is that for?

My point was mainly a joke about neither of those situations featuring female signers. And what's wrong with Symphogear? I'd say Macross Delta is already pretty Symphogear esque.
Once again you are making a pointless argument out of a fairly simple answer. I don't think you misunderstood what I meant by talking about G-Witch as a new age Gundam. It's literally one of the show's promotion points. I just don't understand why you start big argument every time if a person's opinion differs from yours, but he doesn't try to prove something to you. Just stop being so defensive, don't start a holy war over G-Witch every time someone is even just neutral about it.

Nothing. Obviously what I was saying was that they might try to make it a copy of an already existing show, not that the show itself is bad.
Jun 6, 2023 2:42 AM

Mar 2019
RobertBobert said:
Kumiveneella said:

My point was mainly a joke about neither of those situations featuring female signers. And what's wrong with Symphogear? I'd say Macross Delta is already pretty Symphogear esque.
Once again you are making a pointless argument out of a fairly simple answer. I don't think you misunderstood what I meant by talking about G-Witch as a new age Gundam. It's literally one of the show's promotion points. I just don't understand why you start big argument every time if a person's opinion differs from yours, but he doesn't try to prove something to you.

Nothing. Obviously what I was saying was that they might try to make it a copy of an already existing show, not that the show itself is bad.
It's not an argument it's just a long text, I just had many thoughts about your point, and it is a new age it's been 8 years since the last Au entry. What's wrong with new ages? Science fictions all about new ages isn't it? It's the homosexuality isn't it? But how would that automatically make it a new age when the series had 5 canonically homosexual characters before the show. The main character even crossdresses frequently in Turn A Gundam, it's an important plot point. 

Forgive me for the point about Symphogear, I was just being a bit mean with all of those leading questions. Though I guess I'm doing the aforementioned here as well. I'm sorry if this seemed aggressive I would just have liked for you to talk about your point in detail.

KumiveneellaJun 6, 2023 2:48 AM
Jun 6, 2023 2:55 AM

Apr 2012
Kumiveneella said:
RobertBobert said:
Once again you are making a pointless argument out of a fairly simple answer. I don't think you misunderstood what I meant by talking about G-Witch as a new age Gundam. It's literally one of the show's promotion points. I just don't understand why you start big argument every time if a person's opinion differs from yours, but he doesn't try to prove something to you.

It's not an argument it's just a long text, I just had many thoughts about your point, and it is a new age it's been 8 years since the last Au entry. What's wrong with new ages? Science fictions all about new ages isn't it? It's the homosexuality isn't it? But how would that automatically make it a new age when the series had 5 canonically homosexual characters before the show. The main character even crossdresses frequently in Turn A Gundam, it's an important plot point. 

Forgive me for the point about Symphogear, I was just being a bit mean with all of those leading questions. Though I guess I'm doing the aforementioned here as well. I'm sorry if this seemed aggressive I would just have liked for you to talk about your point in detail.

You keep making a big fuss about nothing, inventing and debunking more and more things that I didn't even mention. Please, stop.
Jun 6, 2023 8:34 AM

Nov 2008
Macross needs to commit to the bit and just have the main pilots all be idols, a good idea is 1 male idol and 2 female idols for a team of three and a moderate amount of fanservice.

Jun 8, 2023 12:21 AM

Oct 2017
Wanted to watch Macross but still haven't started it. Maybe I'll start with this new one.
Jun 15, 2023 1:33 AM

Apr 2012
Hoppy said:
Macross needs to commit to the bit and just have the main pilots all be idols, a good idea is 1 male idol and 2 female idols for a team of three and a moderate amount of fanservice.
Considering Sunrise's involvement in this and my experience with G-Witch, I wouldn't be surprised if they just make this Love Live version of that Idolmaster mecha show.

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

13 by VivavideoUser2x »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
6 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.