Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Yuri is My Job
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 25, 2023 9:30 PM
Jan 2021
RedChrome said:
I'm losing interesting with this show, it's nothing but boring and stupid characters

I agree it seems like all the drama is largely pointless.

So you mean to tell me this coworker who was bitchy to you before she knew you were fake doesn’t like you now… she didn’t like you before what is she worried about. All this at a job you don’t have to work and hasn’t been shown to genuinely like.

The only real drama is the twist that the bitchy coworker was an old ex-friend from middle school.
Apr 25, 2023 10:05 PM
Jan 2021
Mcsuper said:
This drama just feels so superficial, and despite having a rather positive outlook on this to start, the characters are starting to wear on me a bit. I did like the reveal at the end with Mitsuki, but that was not a surprise at all. The interactions feel so... off, I don't really know how to describe it. There's potential here, with the theme around facades, but the execution just wasn't particularly there this episode. Here's hoping there's some improvement down the road.

That's exactly as i would describe it, If you read on paper what the conflict was it could work but the show executes plot points and character interactions weirdly and it causes a disconnect with the show. 

Looking at the plot it's simple a girl that puts on a guise of saccharine cuteness to try to win over everyone she can after being betrayed as a child by a close friend. On paper this is promising but the show gets lost in the weeds in getting there. 

First the protagonist that is supposed to be two faced is the same all the time. Many shows would have like a inner sakura that would show her more conniving rude or devious style but the show makes zero distinction. For example when interacting with her blue haired friend she's still pretty much the same aside from explicitly confiding to her blue hair friend she's putting up a façade. It could be that she is is still leaving up somewhat of a barrier with her friend however considering she trust the friend enough to confide in a secret that previously caused her to be shunned that is unlikely.

Second, The coworkers have been contrasted to be far more two faced than the protagonist having clearly distinct personalities from on the clock and off the clock with their off clock personalities being pretty rude and manipulative in the managers case. How are we supposed to care that the protagonist is gonna be exposed for being fake to people that are more fake that she is?

Lastly, Because of the way she was hired as a weird favor to some girl she randomly bumped into literally non of the conflicts with coworkers matter because she can quit at anytime if she acted remotely like a normal human. The protagonist is pretty much guilted/threatened to cover a shift, when the manager comes back with a suspiciously bandaged hand she just accepts without protest that she works there indefinitely. It makes no sense and the only reason she didn't immediately leave is because there was a crowd watching It makes no sense that she comes back as they have nothing on her. 

All of these are easily fixable problems that would strengthen the show but they add up to create really weak meaningless drama.  
Apr 25, 2023 10:54 PM
Jan 2021

I'd say it's appropriately disliked It has a plot that could work but it makes little mistakes that compound to rubs people the wrong way:

1. None of the characters are likeable, they aren't horrible but there's no one who's immediately endearing.  Many Unlikeable characters can work well as they're easy to develop but there has to be someone that the fandom universally loves from the beginning or other problems in the show will make the audiences patience wear thin quicker.  (the closest is the blue haired girl but they messed that up by making her a stalker) .

2. The protagonist is bland while constantly telling us about this secret dark side that the show poorly shows makeing someone who is supposed to be two faced somehow a one note character. I'm not even asking for a yandere or a sassy internal monologue i just want the show to display that her internal personality is uniquely distinct from the façade or let the mask of the facade slip with her blue haired friend. This episode drama over ayanakoji finding out she was fake would have hit harder if from the start she let that different personality slip in conjunction with simply telling her I'm only faking liking her. 

3. Much of the drama when you think about it logically falls apart which leads to interactions feeling awkward and characters feeling less lifelike . 
a. The Coworkers have more distinct personalities between work and non work mode, why the heck would should they care if this girl who is only temp working here is fake nice to them they're profession is literally being fake nice to people. It would be hypocritical for them to care.

b. The protagonist has no real reason to even work at the café, the only reason she filled in the first place was mainly to maintain her façade in public of being a nice girl that wouldn't abandoned a injured girl along with being physically intimidated by a street gang girl gyaru. At the end of her shift the manager comes back with a cast and is just like "I'm injured this one time thing is now permanent ". And for some reason the protagonist just accepts this without any protest, she could literally just never come back and they would never hear from that café again. The scene after where she just says she is forced to isn't a strong of enough reasoning when you look at the circumstance and decision making to first accepting. this scene could have easily solved the problem by  e.g. Protagonist states she likes the jobs pocket money, she was threatened to be sued or to have to pay the managers medical bills if she quits, or she sees it as great practice to being the perfect wife. CUT AND PASTE any of these and that hole is filled. 

c. I'm not one to generally complain about plot holes if they are only visible in hindsight but if you know that you have an easy solution to the conflict in the midst of watching it hurts the experience. In this case all of the drama seen in the show is instantly solved if she stops working there.
Think about it if you quit a job do you care about the details in coworkers drama anymore? Even conflict with non coworkers is addressed like the blue haired girl drama of not getting enough time with the protagonist is solved because the main reason she works there is to spend more time with her stalking subject.
It's hard to focus on any of the drama that happens at work if it can be instantly solved by one action that the protagonist can make at anytime. With obvious plot holes like this generally writers provide reasoning why that can't occur to strengthen the foundation of the narrative. 

Apr 25, 2023 11:07 PM
Jan 2021
traed said:
When they showed the flashback with Hime I could tell that other girl was probably Ayanokouji but still it being revealed I was like "OOOOOOOhh you're in an awkward place now Hime".

I just wish they would give a proper explanation on why Hime is the way she is other than her coming off like a sociopathic gold digger. Would be better if she was also afraid of rejection and abandonment and afraid of getting close to people where they can know the real her. 

Yuu_Kanzaki said:

On another note, it's funny how Ayanokouji calls Hime a liar (which she is) but they are all working at an establishment that operates almost by the same practice. And if anyone young is here, don't think that putting up a facade is a bad thing because it's not. Just be sure to not let the other person you're tricking know about it and you're all good. 

The people their know it's a show though so I wouldn't call that lying exactly.  It's basically a schoolgirl cafe with a type of dinner theatre where they are expected to remain in character because it ruins the immersion experience if they don't. 
I agree I'm hoping that this weeks episode shows she hasn't been just a sociopath and its a coping mechanism. Because as of this moment it just feels like poor writing of stating she is putting on a facade but hime literally is always the same flowery personality aside from the initial scene where she internally says a guy is too poor for her taste. It would have been nice if she showed a bit more of her real personality or we had an extremely different internal monologue contrasting with her standard sweet behavior. 

True but it is kind of weird people who are paid to be fake nice would be the ones to be mad about someone (especially a temporally coworker) being fake nice to work smoother. If anyone would get the nuance of putting on airs it would be these women. Just because you are fake nice doesn't mean you can't have real moments, they would get that. "fake" in this meaning only referring to exaggerated over your baseline. 
Apr 26, 2023 10:43 AM

Mar 2008
BlackAkuma666 said:

I'd say it's appropriately disliked It has a plot that could work but it makes little mistakes that compound to rubs people the wrong way:

1. None of the characters are likeable, they aren't horrible but there's no one who's immediately endearing.  Many Unlikeable characters can work well as they're easy to develop but there has to be someone that the fandom universally loves from the beginning or other problems in the show will make the audiences patience wear thin quicker.  (the closest is the blue haired girl but they messed that up by making her a stalker) .

2. The protagonist is bland while constantly telling us about this secret dark side that the show poorly shows makeing someone who is supposed to be two faced somehow a one note character. I'm not even asking for a yandere or a sassy internal monologue i just want the show to display that her internal personality is uniquely distinct from the façade or let the mask of the facade slip with her blue haired friend. This episode drama over ayanakoji finding out she was fake would have hit harder if from the start she let that different personality slip in conjunction with simply telling her I'm only faking liking her. 

3. Much of the drama when you think about it logically falls apart which leads to interactions feeling awkward and characters feeling less lifelike . 
a. The Coworkers have more distinct personalities between work and non work mode, why the heck would should they care if this girl who is only temp working here is fake nice to them they're profession is literally being fake nice to people. It would be hypocritical for them to care.

b. The protagonist has no real reason to even work at the café, the only reason she filled in the first place was mainly to maintain her façade in public of being a nice girl that wouldn't abandoned a injured girl along with being physically intimidated by a street gang girl gyaru. At the end of her shift the manager comes back with a cast and is just like "I'm injured this one time thing is now permanent ". And for some reason the protagonist just accepts this without any protest, she could literally just never come back and they would never hear from that café again. The scene after where she just says she is forced to isn't a strong of enough reasoning when you look at the circumstance and decision making to first accepting. this scene could have easily solved the problem by  e.g. Protagonist states she likes the jobs pocket money, she was threatened to be sued or to have to pay the managers medical bills if she quits, or she sees it as great practice to being the perfect wife. CUT AND PASTE any of these and that hole is filled. 

c. I'm not one to generally complain about plot holes if they are only visible in hindsight but if you know that you have an easy solution to the conflict in the midst of watching it hurts the experience. In this case all of the drama seen in the show is instantly solved if she stops working there.
Think about it if you quit a job do you care about the details in coworkers drama anymore? Even conflict with non coworkers is addressed like the blue haired girl drama of not getting enough time with the protagonist is solved because the main reason she works there is to spend more time with her stalking subject.
It's hard to focus on any of the drama that happens at work if it can be instantly solved by one action that the protagonist can make at anytime. With obvious plot holes like this generally writers provide reasoning why that can't occur to strengthen the foundation of the narrative. 

I think it was sort of implied Hime keeps going because it's a perfect place for her being centre of attention for putting on a cutesy act and because she felt disliked by Ayano and wanted to resolve that since she wants literally everyone to like her which of course is impossible but I wouldn't consider it a plot hole in that aspect.

BlackAkuma666 said:
I agree I'm hoping that this weeks episode shows she hasn't been just a sociopath and its a coping mechanism. Because as of this moment it just feels like poor writing of stating she is putting on a facade but hime literally is always the same flowery personality aside from the initial scene where she internally says a guy is too poor for her taste. It would have been nice if she showed a bit more of her real personality or we had an extremely different internal monologue contrasting with her standard sweet behavior. 

True but it is kind of weird people who are paid to be fake nice would be the ones to be mad about someone (especially a temporally coworker) being fake nice to work smoother. If anyone would get the nuance of putting on airs it would be these women. Just because you are fake nice doesn't mean you can't have real moments, they would get that. "fake" in this meaning only referring to exaggerated over your baseline. 

Yeah I actually want to have a reason to like Hime since wanting to be liked by everyone or at least not disliked is pretty relatable and putting up a façad isn't so big a deal if she were to not outright use people which as far as we know she has yet to do that and by use I mean not provide equal support which Im not sure she would do since she wants to never drop her façad so it makes her just unusual aside from her deplorable intent to use someone for their money without being upfront she wants a sugar daddy which would be better since if the other person is okay with that there is no real issue no deceit.
Apr 26, 2023 12:31 PM
Apr 2023
oooooh good twist
Apr 27, 2023 6:06 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well feels bad for Hime, she's not ready receiving all that information at once lmao. But yeah, i'm glad they put so much effort to move the plot very forward to reveal the identity of Ayanokouji-senpai character this time which unexpectedly was Hime's grade-school 'friend'. She's a snitch for Hime at the past, and hate her to the Bone, but that's also the same with Mitsuki. Tho the difference between those two at this present kinda be like their profesionality to run the job tbh.

Mitsuki might already know Hime from the get-go, so she's telling the truth about she can't even know how to act truthfully around Hime. However, since she got a role as a Big Sis for the job, ofc she trying the best to cover up Hime that much. While the latter seems to fixated too much to her facades so unable to face the reality of the work lifes with Mitsuki. In short, its clash hard.

Idk if this is too early to say, but still intriguing to know what's gonna happen next, since im afraid the arc between them will be cleared off one or two more episode ahead. 50-50 turns out to be a decent close, so let's see how they wrap up things next...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 17, 2023 10:45 AM

May 2015
Hmmmmm. I'm getting really mixed feelings about the series now. It started off cute and funny but I'm seeing where the drama is coming in. (My friend told me about the drama) 

Every episode the ship makes a little bit of progress................then immediately destroys any progress made. 1 step forward 2 steps back. 

I really dont like Mitsuki now. I know we dont have the full context yet of that kindergarden flashback but from what we've got that was such a dick move which ruined her school life. 

I guess we'll have to see where it goes but if the drama consists like this its really gonna hurt my enjoyment of the series. (Doesnt even have the drama tag) 
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
May 30, 2023 4:19 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Would understand Hime's ""traumatism"" about what happened to school having her lies exposed (but she should just try to be her real self to begin with though) but it ends up that the girl that exposed her back then is the one she's sister with at the café ahahah, of course that's some anime logic
Jun 15, 2023 1:20 PM
Dec 2022
Esto va cobrando sentido, por eso la catitud tan insoportable de la hermana jajaja... me gusto como va, aún que si llegue a pensar que se trataba de ella por los recuerdos de Hime.
Oct 12, 2023 1:32 PM

Nov 2012
I'm guessing the plot twist at the end wasn't QUITE as easy to see coming in the manga, where you couldn't tell the hair colors, haha.
Nov 19, 2023 3:08 AM

Dec 2022
So they both just confessed to each about their pasts so the next time they confess to each other it will be that they love each other, these two are gonna get into each others heads and it might be interesting to watch .
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 22, 2023

61 by degenerate-2002 »»
Apr 15, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! Episode 8 Discussion

Marinate1016 - May 25, 2023

42 by degenerate-2002 »»
Apr 6, 4:42 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! Episode 7 Discussion

Serafos - May 18, 2023

33 by arachnidy »»
Mar 31, 11:07 AM

Poll: » Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 12, 2023

28 by arachnidy »»
Mar 31, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 4, 2023

30 by arachnidy »»
Mar 31, 9:57 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.