Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 30, 2023 5:39 AM

Apr 2018
Has Isekai become the Vanilla of Anime?
Mar 30, 2023 5:49 AM
Jul 2018
No, that would be battle shounen, I think.
Mar 30, 2023 5:49 AM

Feb 2020
"Has Isekai become the Vanilla of Anime?"

Noo...
Mar 30, 2023 5:52 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
No Isekai has become the Villains of Anime!!!!

Mar 30, 2023 6:00 AM

Jun 2017
It depends how old you are. If you are 14, shounen is the vanilla, if you are 17 year-old lonely highschooler, it's romcoms, if you are a 30 year-old incel living in your mother's basement, it's loli hentai.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Mar 30, 2023 8:21 AM

Feb 2018
Eh, maybe in anime adaptations, there are a lot of them. But the vanilla of anime is always going to be shounen. There's a reason when "most popular anime" polls come up its always shows like Naruto and Death Note. Only difference is now we have shifted to Demon Slayer and Attack on Titan. This is what most anime fans are watching, similar how the most popular games are FIFA and Call of Duty.
Mar 30, 2023 8:31 AM

Sep 2010
Dragevard said:

No, cheap slice of life is the vanilla of anime.

DreadfulControl said:
It depends how old you are. If you are 14, shounen is the vanilla, if you are 17 year-old lonely highschooler, it's romcoms, if you are a 30 year-old incel living in your mother's basement, it's loli hentai.

What if I like all of those?
Mar 30, 2023 8:43 AM
Oct 2019
Nah. Battle shounen is, and probably always will be the "vanilla" of anime. It's the genre that most non-anime fans or new anime fans associate with the medium of anime, and it's the genre of most mainstream anime.

Isekai would be something much more divisive than vanilla, and arguably a little more niche, as while there are some pretty popular isekai anime that most anime fans have watched, like Re:Zero, Konosuba, and No Game No Life, the vast majority of isekai shows are fairly niche in the west (I'd assume they're pretty popular in Japan though.) Their long titles often turn away anyone who isn't already a fan of the genre.
Mar 30, 2023 8:51 AM

Sep 2008
you're confusing shit with vanilla.
vanilla would refer to the most widely accepted one, NOT the worst thing.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 30, 2023 8:57 AM
Oct 2019
Dije said:
ShatteredSans said:
Nah. Battle shounen is, and probably always will be the "vanilla" of anime. It's the genre that most non-anime fans or new anime fans associate with the medium of anime, and it's the genre of most mainstream anime.

Isekai would be something much more divisive than vanilla, and arguably a little more niche, as while there are some pretty popular isekai anime that most anime fans have watched, like Re:Zero, Konosuba, and No Game No Life, the vast majority of isekai shows are fairly niche in the west (I'd assume they're pretty popular in Japan though.) Their long titles often turn away anyone who isn't already a fan of the genre.

I'm not sure about this completely. Didn't Arifureta director once said they could produce more sequels of Arifureta mainly thanks to the west?
I'm not referring to shows like Arifureta, I'm referring moreso to stuff like "in another world with my smartphone", and other isekai shows that either have long and boring titles, or fall into the "real world profession in a fantasy world" trend, which don't appear to be very popular here in the west. I've never seen anyone talk about these shows in a positive light, with the exception of Crunchyroll occasionally trying to hype the shows up on Twitter because they paid for exclusive streaming rights and don't want that money to go to waste.
Mar 30, 2023 12:05 PM

Aug 2018
isekai is love , isekai is life 🙇‍♂️- Pope

Mar 31, 2023 12:59 AM

May 2018
"Has Isekai become the Vanilla of Anime?"

More of a yogurt...
Like theoretically there are some great produced by natural lactobacillus products which are tasty and healthy for you...but what you usually get is slobbery mucousy tasteless (and probably toxic) substance which is only technically yogurt.
Mar 31, 2023 1:19 AM

Jun 2017
ateks said:
Dragevard said:

No, cheap slice of life is the vanilla of anime.

DreadfulControl said:

What if I like all of those?

Now I understand why your anime and manga list are restricted
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

26 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

15 by NubFix »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

33 by -YaoiBoy- »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

70 by Merve2Love »»
9 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 1 hour ago

4 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.