Forum Settings
Forums

WHEN did you get into anime, and WHICH anime got you into it ??

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 2, 2023 2:09 PM

Mar 2020
I got interested in anime from memes and clips on the Internet, but the first one I actually watched was Blend-S. This was in 2020, a couple weeks before I made my MAL account.
Mar 2, 2023 2:31 PM

Apr 2018
I had several casual run-ins with anime during my childhood and my mid-to-late teens, but it was in 2012 (i was 21 at the time) that I actually got sucked into the anime medium through Fullmetal Alchemist (2003 version) on Netflix.
Mar 7, 2023 7:19 AM
Apr 2022
Dragon ball Z and Beyblade, they got me into anime then I watched Naruto. By the time I got to the war arc I was sick of anime( I was a kid btw). Then after a few years I stumbled upon an anime named Cowboy Bebop that’s when I got back into anime
Mar 7, 2023 9:48 AM

Jan 2020
I started watching anime sometime in 2013/2014, and my first anime was Hetalia. 

« »
🍙 Koizumi Hanayo
Dareka Tasukete!!!
Mar 7, 2023 9:55 AM

Jan 2015
Of course, I was familiar with pokemon, hamtaro, and the various other anime that were on tv, but I didn't really get into anime until watching a random episode of save me lollipop on youtube. The main character shared a name with my friend's cat, which we were watching a youtube video of lol, so we watched the anime and I went wow this is just like pokemon (art style-wise). I was familiar with anime, and an avid reader of manga, but didn't really get into anime until that moment. Began seasonally watching around 2012/13.
その目だれの目?
Mar 7, 2023 10:11 AM

Sep 2022
1993? I watched anime even before but the knowledge "this is from Japan and it's called anime" I got from this:

Mar 7, 2023 10:29 AM
Jul 2019
It was the winter of 2018. My friend was an otaku, and I was bored and searching for something to watch. He recommended me some Anime, and I chose Attack on Titan. I had the wrong view about this media, I was thinking this was something perverted for lonely guys. Attack on Titan showed me how great this media is. After that, I watched Tokyo Ghoul and Owari no Seraph, and fell in love with Anime. From hater to weeb :)

To this day Im so glad I gave this media chance, it is cliche to say, but Anime did change my life, I was in a really bad place, and this media helped me a lot.
Mar 7, 2023 10:39 AM
Feb 2022
I officialy got into anime in 2018 thanks to Asobi Asobase (great comedy).
Mar 7, 2023 10:53 AM
Sep 2018
since ever. i remember the x men, saint seiya and bugs bunny.

Pokemon and dragon ball Z and saint seiya was the start of the wave.

Mar 7, 2023 11:01 AM
The Doctor

Nov 2019
In approximately late 2016, when I was in middle school. The main series that all of my weirdo friends who were already into anime told me to check out was Highschool DxD, but I didn't watch any full episodes, only scenes from it (also, the manga of DxD was also the first manga I read in mid-2017). Shortly later, I casually brought up how I was interested in anime to my dad and he handed me a DVD of the film Akira, which pretty much blew my mind and changed the way I looked at animation and art in general.
Mar 7, 2023 11:13 AM

Jun 2017
My first anime was FMA ,it was dubbed and I saw a few episodes of it when I was 7-8 years old.
Then,years later I remembered watching it and I searched it again,watched it and then searched for someting similar...and that's how I got here :)
Mar 7, 2023 12:15 PM

Sep 2007
Officially as in subs back in 2003/2004 was Naruto, otherwise unofficially as in dub was DBZ/Pokemin/Digimon and such when I was a kid close to getting into high school maybe.
Mar 7, 2023 12:40 PM

Jul 2016
in 2014, when i was 11, a internet friend recommended Hetalia to me. i had an idea of what anime was but i never got into it until then.
i liked the anime alot and well, i'm here now :P
Mar 7, 2023 1:58 PM

May 2019
Early 2019 after I finished watching a letsplay of Persona 5 (twice lol), 4 and 3. After that I delved into anime where either Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was my first anime, I honestly can't remember which.
yo
Mar 7, 2023 2:19 PM

Feb 2023
I first encountered anime when I was about 7 (so in 1997, basically), back in the days where channel 4 (a British TV channel, for those who don't know) would show anime movies in the middle of the night, like 3 or 4am - Urotsukidoji was the beginning of my love of anime, even though for someone as young as I was at the time it probably wasn't appropriate to see, like at all D: Fortunately it wasn't the uncut version, but it was enough to both disgust and fascinate me :x Then the TV channel Toonami became a thing was I was about 10, which showed all the classics such as Dragon Ball Z and all that, but I doubt anyone remembers that :c

[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]

Current feeling (most of the time~) <33
Mar 7, 2023 2:37 PM

Feb 2022
It was 2020 and my first anime was Vinland saga and i am glad that it was this. Vinland is still one of my greatest anime. In future i might found something even better but still Vinland will hold a special place in my heart.
[/url]
Mar 7, 2023 5:01 PM
Oct 2019
I got into anime in 2011 and the ones that got me really into it were Lucky Star, Negima, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Mar 7, 2023 5:06 PM

Feb 2015
321kayla said:
watching late night re-runs of inuyasha on toonami in the 2000s ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
same, Inuyasha was the first anime I was invested in and watched on a regular basis
Mar 7, 2023 5:18 PM

Feb 2023
BabyBitchRat said:
I got into anime in 2011 and the ones that got me really into it were Lucky Star, Negima, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Thank you for reminding me about one of the most adorable series ever animated - gonna be re-watching Lucky Star starting from tonight :3

[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]

Current feeling (most of the time~) <33
Mar 7, 2023 7:07 PM

Jul 2008
I grew up with shows like Monster Rancher, Ultimate Muscle, Beyblade, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, and Dragon Ball in the late 90s/early 00s, but I 'got into' anime around 2006/07. I watched Da Capo, Da Capo Second Season, and then Utawarerumono.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Mar 7, 2023 7:09 PM

Jul 2022
Winter 2016. I got into anime due to Animax.
Mar 8, 2023 4:22 AM

Dec 2013
It was 2005, after watching Shaman King.
Mar 8, 2023 4:52 AM

Mar 2021
In 2011 I got into anime after watching dragon ball z on tv
Mar 8, 2023 4:58 AM

Dec 2018
In the 90s (96-97 I think), I first watched Speed Racer on Cartoon Network, then Toonami came out with Sailor Moon and DragonBall Z. Then I first saw Pokémon in the summer of 99.

Mar 8, 2023 7:46 AM

Feb 2018
more or less the usual trappings of an OTAKU within my age group;

caught ROBOTECH (SDF MACROSS) and VOLTRON on T.V. as a young child in the mid/late-1980s, didn't really know what i was actually watching.

was given a transforming model of SDF MACROSS' principal Mecha, and general claim-to-fame, the VF-1 "Valkyrie" Variable Fighter, by a family member.
destroyed the model in short order, -being the ham-handed child that i was- but it's design nonetheless left a mark on me.

mid-1990's; rediscovered MACROSS, -as a mid-teenager this time around- via a non-transforming model of the VF-1,
which led me to recognizing MACROSS via the ROBOTECH VHS Videotape vols. then-available at my local mall's SUNCOAST VIDEO,
and discovering Anime once and for all via SUNCOAST's Anime section, where those ROBOTECH vols. were situated.

SUNCOAST began carrying VIZ COMMUNICATIONS' long-defunct "ANIMERICA" magazine,
which opened my eyes further, of course, and before long i was in deep, with no turning back...

Mar 8, 2023 7:55 AM
Jul 2018
2018 with Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike. I did watch some Pokemon in the late 90s.
Mar 8, 2023 8:11 AM

Dec 2022
80's Astro boy and the adventures of the american rabbit are my first two anime,  it doesn't count because I just thought they were cartoons at the time.  Later in 95 dragon ball and sailor moon, those two got me into it because at that point I knew they were anime.

Then stopped for awhile until I noticed dragon ball z and prefered the style of that show over the first.
Sailor moon got old passed a certain age because of the repetitive episode structures, like power rangers.
Wasn't into pokémon, inuyasha, yu-gi-oh!, digimon, monster rancher etc.
I checked out inuyasha much later and yu-gi-oh the first show which is better than duel monsters in my opinion, then checked out duel monsters.
I guess being a magic the gathering player, yu-gi-oh card game was just too basic to even watch.

With dial up internet and no easy way to search stuff online, I just stuck with what I knew, until one day someone showed me ninja scroll movie then I was willing to start my anime discoveries.

deadlyspawnMar 8, 2023 8:29 AM
Mar 8, 2023 9:03 AM

May 2018
12 years ago, when I already was 20. 
I randomly watched a few episodes of Wolf's Rain on TV and then decided to search for the whole cartoon on the Internet.

Mar 8, 2023 9:21 AM

Jul 2019
April 2019, Attack on Titan

I dont consider my childhood cartoons a "get into anime"
Mar 8, 2023 9:21 AM
Sep 2015
2003 or 2004, I don't remember which year, and the anime was Naruto.
Mar 8, 2023 9:57 AM

Jul 2022
Grafko said:
In approximately late 2016, when I was in middle school. The main series that all of my weirdo friends who were already into anime told me to check out was Highschool DxD, but I didn't watch any full episodes, only scenes from it (also, the manga of DxD was also the first manga I read in mid-2017). Shortly later, I casually brought up how I was interested in anime to my dad and he handed me a DVD of the film Akira, which pretty much blew my mind and changed the way I looked at animation and art in general.
Literally me.                                                           
Mar 8, 2023 10:24 AM
Sep 2013
I think it was 2012? It was The Familiar of Zero. That was the first "real" anime at least. I've had run ins with the more popular ones earlier in life like DBZ, pokemon and yu-gi-oh. 
It's sort of ironic because zero no tsukaima is definitely not the kind of anime I'd like today. 
Mar 8, 2023 10:34 AM
Jul 2022
I remember it well. I was very stupid back then. When quarantine started, I was on my computer basically all the time. I cam across multiple YouTubers that talked about anime, and I was very curious. I watched a lot of recommendation videos for beginners, and researched whether it was better to watch a show in sub or dub. I made a list, and started to watch. I started with My Hero Academia and thought Japanese was so cool. Next I watched Death Note and Naruto, and by then I was hooked. I didn't know about pirating so I watched them on the Crunchyroll site. I painfully went through ads every 5 minutes, and every time an ad showed up, I'd play a game or look at memes until they were over. It was a fun time, I don't know how I got through all those ads. 
Ultimately, My Hero got me into it. and so started my cringe anime phase. When I could go back to school, me and a friend watched anime during lunch. It was pretty bad anime, but it was fun nonetheless. 
Mar 8, 2023 10:39 AM
Jan 2022
In late 2018 or early 2019 when I was 13 and my friend showed me Seven Deadly Sins on Netflix.
Mar 8, 2023 8:56 PM

Feb 2023
around 2017 and my first anime was attack on titan
Mar 8, 2023 9:02 PM

Aug 2009
The original Fullmetal Alchemist in 2006 by renting the DVDs from Netflix.

Mar 8, 2023 10:55 PM
Feb 2022
If I am not counting watching DBZ and Naruto when I was in I was elementary school then I would say in 2014 back when I was in high school junior I watched Akamae Ga Kill and Parasyte on Toonami.
Mar 9, 2023 4:40 AM

Feb 2023
Pokemon, Digimon, Sailor Moon and DBZ were the first of when I was first really exposed to anime.

But if we're going by when I really got into or felt something deeply by anime - then I'd go by when I first watched the 1997 Berserk Anime. And if movies, then the first Ninja Scroll movie.
Mar 9, 2023 5:43 PM
Jan 2021
I got back into anime in high school 2014 because my friends were into anime.  Before then, I thought anime was weird and cringe.  They made a list of things I should watch including Btooom, SAO, Kuroko no Basket, Parasyte, Food War, etc., all of which I watched to better fit in.  While I wasn't fully convinced with those shows, I soon after fell in love with anime with shows like Infinite Stratos & Code Geass.  
NamaisMar 9, 2023 5:46 PM
Mar 9, 2023 5:48 PM

Nov 2018
Long loooong back in the year....... 2020.

Just kidding, I started when I was very young, about the year 2005 or 2006 and my first anime was Pokemon and Digimon along with some sprinkles of Dragon Ball Z, and ended it with a dessert of Doraemon.

Great question
Mar 9, 2023 6:12 PM
Nov 2021
Intial D, I heard its ost in memes and it had 140M views on Deja Vu song ,so I got curious and saw the whole anime. Also, an interesting story about BLEACH that there is a minecraft youtuber named Ph1lza who had Urahara's avatar and I came to know that it's from BLEACH from his comment section. After completing BLEACH I was addicted to anime.
Mar 11, 2023 9:08 PM

Apr 2022
It was Naruto that introduced me to anime back in 2008. While I did check out a bunch of shows like code geass and blue exorcist back then, I wasn’t a full on anime fan.

Fate Zero and Steins Gate then came out and blew me away with what anime was capable of.
Mar 12, 2023 9:48 AM

May 2020
It was 2019 summer, and Death Note was my first anime. 
Mar 12, 2023 10:19 AM

Jan 2021
Technically a COVID baby since I really got into it in late 2020, but the reason I decided to pick it up was because I got tired of rewatching ATLA over and over, and not really due to the surge in popularity. My first anime was Naruto, and I decided to give it a shot even though I could never get into it as a kid. From there I watched things like The Devil is a Part-timer and Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, but I was extremely lucky to stumble across Chuunibyou. That was the one that actually got to do the deep dive into anime, and I honestly don't think I would have became such a huge anime fan if I hadn't of watched it. 

If we're being technical though, my first anime was probably Pokemon, Bakugan, or Dragon Ball, all of which I watched a decent amount of when I was younger. I didn't know what anime was back then though.
AcctraMar 12, 2023 10:23 AM

Mar 12, 2023 10:30 AM

Apr 2016
About when I was 3 years old with Sailor Moon.
Mar 12, 2023 10:30 AM

Jul 2012
Like many others in this thread, I found anime through Digimon and Pokémon in the early 2000s. I also was an avid watcher of Toonami, which showed other anime such as Dragon Ball. At the time, I didn't understand that these cartoons were from Japan, but I did get a sense that they differed from the other cartoons I watched.

Around 2005 (~age 11), I discovered the wonders of the internet and began watching anime beyond the 4Kids dub of One Piece. I think one of the first anime I watched back then, completely subtitled, was Azumanga Daioh. I watched a lot of random series (and still do haha), Rozen Maiden, Muteki Kanban Musume, Death Note, Haruhi Suzumiya, Higurashi and Hetalia. Teenage me was an edgy emo, but at least I didn't have social media to share my hot takes!

I've flip-flopped from watching a lot of anime to hardly anything over the years, but I don't think I'll ever give up anime completely. It's too ingrained in me now!
Mar 12, 2023 1:24 PM

Sep 2017
Mainly thanks to Bleach in 2006-2007, but I was still a kid back then

Then I had my Pokémon phase in 2012-2013 where I binged all the series up to the latest

But I really dove into the anime world in 2014 at 16 yo, and it was with Bleach again since I wanted to see how it ended
Mar 12, 2023 1:37 PM
Apr 2021
Basically I was watching anime from childhood without knowing those were anime like beyblade, dragon ball, pokemon, doraemon, etc. But actually got into anime in 2020 and Death Note got me into it, been addicted to anime ever since :)
Mar 12, 2023 5:07 PM

Jan 2021
It was at the hight of lockdown, I'd finished college. I'd seen some anime before, my brother showed me four shows the new legend of the galactic heroes, yamato, evangelion and goblin slayer. But I'd never gone and looked into anime myself.

But back to the lockdown, I was bored and needed something to watch and then I was like oh yeah anime a thing. That exists.

So I just sort of picked one that had been on my YouTube feed for a while - Fate/Apocrypha.it looked good it's historic fantasy. Plus the pink haired girl looked cute.

I had no idea the hell I was walking into.

Firstly Mordred was a girl? Odd choice but it's anime, then her father turned out to be a girl too. King Arthur... A girl. It's anime I said to myself.

Wait how'd he father her... in the tale I know Arthur makes love to Morgan his sister. So how do too sisters make a daughter. Wait is Morgan a man? Look it up online.

Okay Merlin, that's inventive.

But beyond the weirdness the story was alright, the fights dope. Achilles was cool. Fran was cool also made into a girl. So was Astolfo (another gender bent historical figure I believed)

And then Astolfo was a guy.

I don't care still best girl.

So once I finished the show, I suddenly wanted to watch more anime. And more Fate.

So I watched Fate/Zero and holy hell that was good like so much better than Apocrypha. But Apocrypha will always be special to me because it's what made me a anime and Fate fan.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 12, 2023 8:40 PM
Jun 2021
Around 2019 and DxD was the first anime i watched
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

57 by Shizuna »»
29 seconds ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - 46 minutes ago

5 by Rhae »»
1 minute ago

» If MAL didn't exist

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

19 by Pinoffin »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

109 by APolygons2 »»
9 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - Yesterday

35 by Kenzolo-folk »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.