Forum Settings
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 26, 2023 9:54 AM

Jan 2023
I do not mean to be insulting, but I find people are very generous to this movie. I love the monogatari series but this movie is only 1 hour in length (3episodes), whereas I see people rating Naruto, One Piece and Bleach Very low ratings despite seeing hundreds of episodes. This isn't me complaining, I'm just wondering, what can be done within 3 episodes of time, that makes it so amazing?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 26, 2023 10:00 AM
Oct 2019
Its not about quantity it's about quality. Shaft got a home run with this trilogy in fact with the whole saga.
Jan 26, 2023 10:03 AM
May 2016
40% of all the Naruto eps are fillers, so that's like almost 300 eps where nothing significant happens.
Jan 26, 2023 10:04 AM
Jan 2021
more episode = more rating ? 😩
Jan 26, 2023 10:05 AM

Jun 2016
Feature films are a related but different medium from TV.
Shorter length and longer gaps between releases = different pacing and different priorities so expecting them to be rated on the same "things achieved per hour" standard is pointless.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 26, 2023 10:05 AM
Dec 2022
length should not matter. It is also a 3 hr movie, which is long by movie standards. Perhaps you prefer seasons over movies cause you prefer longer more in depth stories.
Jan 26, 2023 10:08 AM

Jan 2023
Otakupervert890 said:
Its not about quantity it's about quality. Shaft got a home run with this trilogy in fact with the whole saga.
Yeah I agree, it's quality is amazing.
Jan 26, 2023 10:08 AM

Jan 2023
ktg said:
40% of all the Naruto eps are fillers, so that's like almost 300 eps where nothing significant happens.
Stuff happens in every episode, I have seen them all.
Jan 26, 2023 10:09 AM

Jan 2013
This is one of the dumbest opinions I have ever seen, by your logic a movie's quality can never compare to a long spanning series. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 26, 2023 10:09 AM

Jan 2023
winkwinkwinkz said:
realistically, yes. Assuming you don't hate watch, longer shows should be better as they can keep you entertained for wayyy longer. Unless of course, this movie is so enjoyable you rewatch it many times.
Jan 26, 2023 10:10 AM

Jan 2023
Theo1899 said:
Feature films are a related but different medium from TV.
Shorter length and longer gaps between releases = different pacing and different priorities so expecting them to be rated on the same "things achieved per hour" standard is pointless.
is a Feature film the same as a movie, I've never heard of this before? Any how I expect the same standards from any thing I watch.
Jan 26, 2023 10:11 AM

Dec 2019
Both of your arguments fall apart when you realize that length / quantity of episodes does not equate to quality and when you realize that One Piece doesn't have low ratings at all and is around the top 50 sitting at an 8.68 at the time of writing this. How could an 8.68 possibly be low?
Jan 26, 2023 10:11 AM

Jan 2023
LostSpectre said:
This is one of the dumbest opinions I have ever seen, by your logic a movie's quality can never compare to a long spanning series. 
Not true, when a movie is so enjoyable you rewatch it many times, I've seen Koe No Katachi (2 Hours = 6 episodes), 4 times now which makes it as good as a 24 episode season. You have to ask yourself for movies you would never rewatch if they're really as good as you think.
Jan 26, 2023 10:12 AM

Jan 2013
BestListMAL said:
winkwinkwinkz said:
realistically, yes. Assuming you don't hate watch, longer shows should be better as they can keep you entertained for wayyy longer. Unless of course, this movie is so enjoyable you rewatch it many times.
That makes no sense, there's no such thing as factoring cumulative enjoyment, a 1,000 episode series uses the same rating system as a 20 minute special. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 26, 2023 10:12 AM

Jan 2023
tacopacker said:
length should not matter. It is also a 3 hr movie, which is long by movie standards. Perhaps you prefer seasons over movies cause you prefer longer more in depth stories.
This movie is only 1 hour though because it is spilt up into 3 movies. And yeah you are right I prefer seasons.
Jan 26, 2023 10:14 AM

Jan 2023
LostSpectre said:
That makes no sense, there's no such thing as factoring cumulative enjoyment, a 1,000 episode series uses the same rating system as a 20 minute special. 
If you watch hundreds of really good episodes, surely this franchise is better than 1 hour of good content?
Jan 26, 2023 10:14 AM

Jan 2013
BestListMAL said:
LostSpectre said:
Not true, when a movie is so enjoyable you rewatch it many times, I've seen Koe No Katachi (2 Hours = 6 episodes), 4 times now which makes it as good as a 24 episode season. You have to ask yourself for movies you would never rewatch if they're really as good as you think.
Rewatching is a completely separate issue, that has more to do with personal preference than any inherent measure of quality. 
Jan 26, 2023 10:15 AM

Jan 2023
TheAngryNerd said:
Both of your arguments fall apart when you realize that length / quantity of episodes does not equate to quality and when you realize that One Piece doesn't have low ratings at all and is around the top 50 sitting at an 8.68 at the time of writing this. How could an 8.68 possibly be low?
Yeah it has a pretty good score, I don't think the length itself equates to quality but rather, the time YOU spent watching. If you dropped a long show it isn't as good.
Jan 26, 2023 10:16 AM

Jan 2013
BestListMAL said:
LostSpectre said:
If you watch hundreds of really good episodes, surely this franchise is better than 1 hour of good content?
That is simply not how ratings work, but there's no point comparing a movie to a series spanning hundreds of episodes, that's pointless.
Jan 26, 2023 10:16 AM

Jan 2023
LostSpectre said:
Rewatching is a completely separate issue, that has more to do with personal preference than any inherent measure of quality. 
why wouldn't you rewatch something so high quality, but spend your time watching hundreds of episodes of low quality, to me this doesn't make sense outside of hate watching.
Jan 26, 2023 10:17 AM

Jan 2023
LostSpectre said:
That is simply not how ratings work, but there's no point comparing a movie to a series spanning hundreds of episodes, that's pointless.
well that's how my ratings work and I have the best list on MAL.
Jan 26, 2023 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
What does length of content have to do with anything? If it’s good, it’s good. If it’s bad, it’s bad
Jan 26, 2023 10:21 AM

Jan 2023
mattnoce said:
What does length of content have to do with anything? If it’s good, it’s good. If it’s bad, it’s bad
In my opinion, every anime is infinite in length as you can rewatch as many times as you want. So the question is why do people only watch 3 episodes of something they consider their favourite, but hundreds of something they claim to hate. To my this is very interesting.
Jan 26, 2023 10:23 AM

Jan 2013
BestListMAL said:
LostSpectre said:
why wouldn't you rewatch something so high quality, but spend your time watching hundreds of episodes of low quality, to me this doesn't make sense outside of hate watching.
It's called novelty, human beings are always craving new forms of stimulation in our fast paced technological world. It's just a preference whether you get more enjoyment from rewatching shows you've already seen compared to new ones. No one said it makes sense to watch a long-running show if you dislike it, but many people are completionists or masochists here, so take that how you will. 
Jan 26, 2023 10:23 AM

Jan 2013
BestListMAL said:
LostSpectre said:
well that's how my ratings work and I have the best list on MAL.
That's dumb, every long running show should get a 10 then because of cumulative enjoyment, but that doesn't reflect the overall quality of the series
Jan 26, 2023 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
BestListMAL said:
mattnoce said:
In my opinion, every anime is infinite in length as you can rewatch as many times as you want. So the question is why do people only watch 3 episodes of something they consider their favourite, but hundreds of something they claim to hate. To my this is very interesting.

MAL ratings are not based off rewatchability. An anime doesn’t need to rewatched to be good hahahaha

Kizumonogatari is easily one of the highest quality anime movies ever made. All 3 of these movies have better quality than most one piece, bleach, and naruto episodes. But of course it would, they’re movies with movie budgets. Idk what point you’re trying to make. Kizu is good, one piece is good. Both are different obviously
Jan 26, 2023 10:26 AM
May 2015
It’s just ratings. For example, I generally don’t like movies as much as long form storytelling because there’s isn’t as much narrative or character depth in film compared to a full length series. Between a movie I would give a 7 and a tv series I would give a 7, I’d prefer the series generally, but I’d still give both a 7. I wouldn’t necessarily rate a thing lower just because it’s a different media type. That doesn’t make much sense to me. Ratings are generally arbitrary and somewhat meaningless anyways, as they’re just there to quantify enjoyment. Also things should generally be compared to other things in the medium. Movies and shows are naturally trying to accomplish different things. Comparing something like Princess Mononoke to Fate Zero is like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.
Jan 26, 2023 10:27 AM

Jan 2013
I just took a look at your profile. Yeah, you're either just a troll or you're actually brain dead, either way this is a pointless conversation.

Cheers.
Mar 2022
I overall got bored in the monogatari series, but these 3 movie trilogy was easily the best parts of the series imo.

shinbou is awesome <3

Jan 2023
LostSpectre said:
It's called novelty, human beings are always craving new forms of stimulation in our fast paced technological world. It's just a preference whether you get more enjoyment from rewatching shows you've already seen compared to new ones. No one said it makes sense to watch a long-running show if you dislike it, but many people are completionists or masochists here, so take that how you will. 
I guess these people would need a different rating system to mine,
That's dumb, every long running show should get a 10 then because of cumulative enjoyment, but that doesn't reflect the overall quality of the series
I haven't got bleach a 10, because I haven't seen it, and if I dropped it early on I would have only seen let's say 5 episodes giving it a low score. You see my rating system is always two steps a head of any counter arguement, as facts should be.
Jan 26, 2023 10:29 AM

Jan 2023
LostSpectre said:
I just took a look at your profile. Yeah, you're either just a troll or you're actually brain dead, either way this is a pointless conversation.

Cheers.
I'm not a troll, I hate this baseless accusation from MAL members as it attempts to get a user banned for no reason, I've never insulted anyone and even said the monogatari series is amazing. :( why call me a troller.
Jan 26, 2023 10:32 AM
May 2016
BestListMAL said:
ktg said:
Stuff happens in every episode, I have seen them all.

Yea, irrelent stuff. So it's like nothing happens.
Jan 26, 2023 10:33 AM

Jan 2023

MAL ratings are not based off rewatchability. An anime doesn’t need to rewatched to be good hahahaha

Kizumonogatari is easily one of the highest quality anime movies ever made. All 3 of these movies have better quality than most one piece, bleach, and naruto episodes. But of course it would, they’re movies with movie budgets. Idk what point you’re trying to make. Kizu is good, one piece is good. Both are different obviously
if a movie was so good, you would assume it would be rewatched due to how short of a time it would take up.
Jan 26, 2023 10:33 AM
May 2016
BestListMAL said:
winkwinkwinkz said:

This is pretty stupid take.
Jan 26, 2023 10:34 AM

Jan 2023
ktg said:

ok, even if you skipped 300 episodes, that's still 420 episodes you have seen, compared to just 3 episodes of Kizumonogatari movie 1.
Jan 26, 2023 10:36 AM

Jan 2023

people often think this, why? because they don't wanna look at what their own list would look like, people who claim to hate long shows but seen hunderes of episodes, people who've hate watched memed shows like SAO 3 times but insist it's bad. if you used my standards, you would be hit in the face with the truth of your real anime taste. We all like to pretend we are geniuses who love FLCL (you) but do we really? that is the question.
Jan 26, 2023 10:36 AM
Mar 2021
there’s a difference. this is 1 hour of quality vs hundreds of episodes of dogshit. people don’t base their ratings only on number of episodes lol
Jan 26, 2023 10:38 AM
Dec 2020
BestListMAL said:
winkwinkwinkz said:

I don’t think how long something keeps you entertained should matter, rather how much you like it.

With your logic some boring trash which I hated but watched for 24 episodes should be rated higher than a 2 hour movie that made me shed tears.

Ratings should be based on enjoyment and how much you actually liked the show along with its quality. Not how long the show was
Jan 26, 2023 10:41 AM
Dec 2020
Rating something based purely on how long you spend watching it is not indicative of how much you enjoyed it or how good the show was. Anything can keep someone occupied for a few hours. Whether or not that show was actually good is more important for ratings; how excited it made you feel, how much fun you had, if production quality was good, etc. How long you kept watching isn’t indicative of quality or value.
Jan 26, 2023 10:43 AM

Jan 2023
abqve said:
there’s a difference. this is 1 hour of quality vs hundreds of episodes of dogshit. people don’t base their ratings only on number of episodes lol
if it was so bad, they wouldn't have seen so many episodes. the simple fact they've seen so many episodes, factually proves they like it more.
Jan 26, 2023 10:44 AM

Jan 2023

I don’t think how long something keeps you entertained should matter, rather how much you like it.

With your logic some boring trash which I hated but watched for 24 episodes should be rated higher than a 2 hour movie that made me shed tears.

Ratings should be based on enjoyment and how much you actually liked the show along with its quality. Not how long the show was
yes it should be, that is your real taste, you hate to admit it, but you spent your own time watching it and were convinced, carrying on watching each episode was the correct choice. That 2 hour movie you apparently love so much (for me it's koe no katachi) would only need to be seen 4 times to reach the 24 episode mark.
Jan 26, 2023 10:49 AM
Dec 2020
BestListMAL said:
abqve said:
if it was so bad, they wouldn't have seen so many episodes. the simple fact they've seen so many episodes, factually proves they like it more.

“Factually proves that they like it more” is false, it just means they put up with it for longer.

While I understand your rationale for calculating the value of a show purely through how long someone watched it, I believe it’s not accurate as rewatching a good show is not equivalent to watching new episodes of a longer series.

Even if I had the time to rewatch a movie like your name, I wouldn’t because I’ve already seen it along with all its plot twists. On the other hand, I would find it appealing to watch a new episode of some okayish because I’m curious to know what happens.

Because of this I believe rewatching a show is a lot more valuable than just the time you spent, because it means you enjoyed it enough to go through it even after you know everything that happens.

If you truly want to calculate the value of a show then there’s no need to go further than to Wikipedia to see how much money the show made for its producer. Because in the end “value” is just the money earned, right? The show wouldn’t have been made without the money.
Jan 26, 2023 10:50 AM
May 2016
BestListMAL said:
ktg said:

ok, even if you skipped 300 episodes, that's still 420 episodes you have seen, compared to just 3 episodes of Kizumonogatari movie 1.

And still that one movie has more meaning and depth than the whole Naruto series that actually full of plotholes.
Jan 26, 2023 10:51 AM
Feb 2019
This dudes way of thinking reminds me of the minds of how special Ed people think where there’s a whole very important step that he inadvertently skips and it just drastically changes the end result of said thought/rating. Pretty wonky ngl
Jan 26, 2023 10:53 AM

Jan 2023

And still that one movie has more meaning and depth than the whole Naruto series that actually full of plotholes.
the plot holes are totally irrelevant, take you as an example, you completed Original Naruto and made it all the way into the 400's of Shippuuden. Congrats, Naruto appears to be your second favourite show, unless you've rewatched some stuffs.
Jan 26, 2023 10:54 AM

Jan 2023
Perfectrockstar said:
This dudes way of thinking reminds me of the minds of how special Ed people think where there’s a whole very important step that he inadvertently skips and it just drastically changes the end result of said thought/rating. Pretty wonky ngl
I am indeed special when it comes to rating, I am the chosen one, the Messiah of good taste, and the owner of the best list on mal.
Jan 26, 2023 10:56 AM
May 2016
BestListMAL said:

people often think this, why? because they don't wanna look at what their own list would look like, people who claim to hate long shows but seen hunderes of episodes, people who've hate watched memed shows like SAO 3 times but insist it's bad. if you used my standards, you would be hit in the face with the truth of your real anime taste. We all like to pretend we are geniuses who love FLCL (you) but do we really? that is the question.

Because length is not equal to quality. Longer shows means more potential to find inconsistency and plot holes. That's what happened to SnK, where the whole S4P2 is a big big plot hole.
Second, you are also mixing quality and enjoyment. My list doesn't. Yes, I enjoyed Ex-Arm too, but still it's one of the worst series. That's why its rating is a 1 on my list.
And to answer your question, yes, FLCL is perfectly covered my taste, what I look for in a show, while SAO never.
Jan 26, 2023 10:56 AM

Mar 2020
Movies tend to have higher quality and a plot/arc/set of arcs in just 1 to 2 hours of film. As for example, Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart vs movie 1 (since I watched it recently, not using it as an example for general quality lol) has a higher screen quality and 16:9 screen rather than the typical old box size used for the TV series.

For Kizu, there's also the fact that it has been delayed by a lot of years, and iirc it had about 2 years of development without counting that delay. If you compare that to, for example, One Piece that has to get an amount of arcs/episodes ready for a more limited time, then you can pretty much see the difference.

Another good example of movie quality, though original, is Eiga Daisuki Pompo-san (which I highly recommend :)). Most of movie versions for popular shows can serve as an example too, as they can add new scenes or change animation sequences/quality (case of Madoka Magica 1 and 2 movies) and you can really see the difference in there.

TL;DR: more time + budget = better quality.
I'm, by no means, saying that long-running shows are bad, btw. Just that, in general, movies are treated better.

Only you can save yourself.
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Jan 26, 2023 11:14 AM
Feb 2022
Tell me you haven't watched Monogatari without telling me 😐
Jan 26, 2023 11:26 AM

May 2020
People aren't being generous, they are being honest. Length of a series is not equaling to the quality anyway.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kizumonogatari Part 1: Tekketsu-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Djidji - Jan 29, 2016

224 by otakuanity »»
Mar 25, 2:57 PM

» Disregarding the fact that the internal monologues were omitted, how good of an adaptation do the people who have watched the movie think it is?

Mado_Mura - Jan 10, 2016

6 by KleptoKritikal »»
Mar 5, 7:00 AM

Poll: » What would you do if you have your limbs chopped off, laying in the ground and no one notices you?

TheRayquaza - Jan 22

16 by dicloflom »»
Jan 23, 8:55 PM

» Needs the gore tag

RaltsPokemon - Dec 15, 2023

5 by RaltsPokemon »»
Dec 18, 2023 10:40 AM

» Can I watch this? ( 1 2 )

Cheggeronis - Jul 12, 2023

53 by LordAtsukiYoru »»
Jul 28, 2023 7:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.