Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 1, 2014 6:37 PM

Dec 2012
I liked this episode a lot :) It was a nice epic way to finish the Impel Down arc. I am so glad they left this hell!
Apr 3, 2014 3:31 AM

May 2013
Dope episode, awesome ending to meh arc.
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Oct 8, 2014 2:07 AM

Jan 2014
And escape by the skin of their teeth. Just as enjoyable as I remember. Very good arc!
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 24, 2014 5:20 AM

Oct 2013
On to the next 1

May 25, 2015 5:52 PM

Mar 2014
Man this is so bloody exciting!!
Jun 15, 2015 3:03 AM

Jun 2015
things are finally getting better
Jul 27, 2015 1:56 PM

Jul 2015
Magellan is op!
Aug 30, 2015 12:15 PM

Mar 2015
Those ships were meant to fight and hold off Whitebeard's crew but they couldn't even stop 4 men.

Animation sucked balls apart from gear third scene
Apr 17, 2016 12:28 PM

Mar 2015
cool susanoo bro...
Jul 27, 2016 9:35 AM

Mar 2015
Agreed, the animation for that Gear Third attack was sweet
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 2, 2016 3:09 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
ninkendo said:
Also one more episode left of Impel Down then either we go to Marinford or maybe we'll get some episodes that cover the Straw Hat cover stories

Hope the second choice. Can't wait to see what they are doin

Mar 19, 2017 5:02 PM

May 2014
Really great animation for Gear 3rd there!

Honestly, I think my favorite part about these last few arcs have been the whole combined effort thing-it's not Luffy's brute strength that lets him win (although he clearly has potential)...it's usually his connections and ability to sway people in his favour, so he always manages to scrape by.

If it wasn't for Mr. 3's wax, Bon-chan's honest friendship and Iva's abilities...Lufffy would be toast. Plus, Hancock is the whole reason he made it into Impel Down.
I think his charisma sets him apart from the other strong characters!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2019 4:32 PM

Jun 2016
When Magellan saw that Luffy and Mr. 3 had a great tactic against him and it finally got through to his head I think he decided it was time to bring out his ultimate technique. I had wondered, why not use this the whole time. But, this was his first time seeing the wax counter, he easily beat Luffy before, and further, we can assume 'Venom Demon' exhausts him like gears do and we saw it was literally destroying the prison, so those are great reasons to hold off on it. I think One Piece fights and powers are really awesome because of how loose they are, this can be a bad thing at times and I like the more grounded powers, but it still allows for moments like this, where I can wonder, why didn't he use this attack before, and then think about how he's just upgrading his poisons power and how he can always control it(like making Hydra's) so making a super crazy venom demon mech actually makes sense. I don't go, THIS IS DUMB, I go, HMMM I guess that makes sense, and I don't think I can do that in many anime. The way Devil Fruit are set up with such loose rules they still end up following gives them so many ways they can go and it makes fights feel like they can go in any direction, full of both characters fighting pulling out interesting new ways they can utilize their power. And, I don't see One Piece as an anime about its fights, I see its fights as a way to explore the characters and their resolves, strengths, weaknesses, personalities, problems, and they're a way to grow, so to have powers that are grounded enough to feel awesome and not asspull-ish which compliment that writing style is just mega cool to me!

I found it funny how Buggy played dead the entire ship assault. The notable thing in this scene for me outside of the way Croc indiscriminately killed a poor guy in an awesome manner, was Jimbei's strategy. He's constantly seen through Magellan's plan and countered it. He's the one who used the door as a boat, he's the one who wet the gunpowder, he's the one who called to the whale sharks and maybe even got the sea kings to go away. Going further back he's the one who realized Magellan's plan to get rid of the ships and he's the one who stopped Luffy from throwing away his life. Jimbei is an incredibly strong character, literally and metaphorically and he came out of nowhere. He's a nice surprise, one that without this would all be impossible.

I went from laughter with Luffy's "EVERYONE ARE YOU THERE?!?! YOU GOTTA RUN!!" to amazement with Jimbei's suggestion, 'get into the water'. And it was such a group effort, this was not easy and one single slip up would have been failure. Luffy and Mr. 3 worked together some more with that gear 3 push back, and Ivan brought Inazuma along with some energy hormones and sprinkled a bit of luck into this, coming in to use his giant head as a boat for everyone to escape on.

Talk about one crazy escape. I loved it. For some smaller things, Luffy's ability to trust Jimbei out of the few instances he's seen of him already and going back to the reason he freed him to begin with, because he's Ace's friend and he trusts Ace so much was awesome. Also, this arc has been killing SO many people! Prisoners kicked into lava(or boiling blood..), Crocodile dehydrating people into corpses, prisoners being drenched in poison. It's like, very overtly dark by One Piece standards.

P.S. I'm excited to see what will come of Magellan. Will he see the light and fight against the world government one day?! Let's find out.. With how corrupt they are I'm starting to see Whitebeard and the Revolutionaries as the 'good' factions in the world but we don't know enough about them yet to say for sure! I'm sure they will be as morally gray as the pirates and the navy are.

Strawberrycake48 said:
Honestly, I think my favorite part about these last few arcs have been the whole combined effort thing-it's not Luffy's brute strength that lets him win (although he clearly has potential)...it's usually his connections and ability to sway people in his favour, so he always manages to scrape by.

If it wasn't for Mr. 3's wax, Bon-chan's honest friendship and Iva's abilities...Lufffy would be toast. Plus, Hancock is the whole reason he made it into Impel Down.
I think his charisma sets him apart from the other strong characters!

Yes! It's very awesome. I think it's both a mix of One Piece's tone changing drastically to show Luffy as a rookie instead of a legend, but I also think it works as a reminder that Luffy NEEDS his/a crew. If he didn't get this temporary crew he would have been toast.. I loved the teamwork and the fresh new group dynamics with these characters. :D
Aug 24, 2020 8:11 PM

Mar 2017
this anime surprises me again & again
Aug 27, 2020 1:28 PM

May 2016
They actually managed to escape Impel Down with one gigantic wink, holy shit! Magellan must've had the biggest shock of his life to see that so many prisoners had escaped at the same time even though he had already unleashed his full and nigh-unstoppable power. At least there's Blackbeard and his crew to go back to.

With him out the question, only the other ships and the Gates of Justice remain in their way. How to keep the latter open long enough for them to get through is gonna be a colossal task and they only have one try.

Sep 24, 2020 3:16 PM

Dec 2007
truly great episode of breakdown! couldn't expect less and great scenes.

one is that third gear attack, second is the breakdown itself.

and now for the maniford arc!! i think...
May 28, 2021 1:10 PM

Jun 2019
Animation popped off and so as those sharks.
Jun 19, 2022 10:22 AM

Oct 2020
This was one of the best episodes in all of one piece so far !
also i just LOVED the animation here !
especially durring third gear !
Aug 13, 2022 5:59 PM

Dec 2018
please god have mercy and end this shitshow
this is the worst thing ever created
Sep 2, 2022 1:23 AM
May 2021
awesome fights best arc of op
Feb 13, 2023 5:00 PM
Feb 2022
Al fin luffy ha escapado de Impel Down. Pero aun debe derrotar los demás barcos de la marina, y Magellan no se da por vencido. Jinbei es muy poderoso. El ejercito de tiburones ballena estuvo genial.
May 22, 2023 1:42 PM
Dec 2021
i believe that one piece will always be the greatest anime and nothing shall surpass it.
-Honey
Jun 14, 2023 2:32 AM
Oct 2019
That EPIC Third Gear Sakuga 🤌

Jimbei calling the whale sharks!!
Let's go...

They really left Shiryuu without any explanation.
Jul 9, 2023 12:21 AM
Jul 2018
I feel bad for Magellan, although I’m rooting for Luffy it’s sad to see Magellan fail due to incompetent subordinates and just being straight up unlucky. Due to the character building and how strong he is I doubt this’ll be the last time we see him.
Sep 1, 2023 11:40 AM
Oct 2020
best anime of all time
Oct 8, 2023 11:42 AM

Oct 2015
Animation popped off and what a nail-biting escape.
Unbelievably fun episode.
Nov 17, 2023 7:28 AM

Mar 2017
Wow. What an intense episode!! Almost can’t believe they made it away from Magellan and finally broke free.

Magellan is gonna have some intense diarrhoea after such an epic fight xD
bingamu85Nov 17, 2023 7:35 AM
Jan 3, 7:20 AM

Nov 2018
Venom Demon looks way too similar to Susanoo
I hate everyone equally
Jan 28, 8:47 PM

Oct 2019
I really didn't expect such a power up from Magellan ._.

What an epic escape, though!!
Mar 27, 9:02 AM
Jun 2021
Jinbe e Ivankok brilhando
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 412 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mayumu - Aug 9, 2009

85 by gannoncannon55 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelleee - Sep 13, 2008

377 by TheStarscream759 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1015 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 23, 2022

476 by kappaisnew »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

54 by LadyLeeMing »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 219 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kaito__Kid - Nov 17, 2009

60 by X1ma »»
Today, 9:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.