Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 17, 2023 2:19 PM

Apr 2020
I just finished watching Summertime Render and I quite liked it... for the most part. As engaging as its first cour has been I couldn't help but noticed the shift in presentation, from a mystery novel with some horror aspect to it, to just being a typical action w/romance anime. Even the difference between the 2 OP theme's vibes shows it, just like what happened with Dororo.
It started very interesting with them
But then it became overpowered-villains-procrastinates-a-lot-to-give-protags-a-breather kind of game. And speaking of "game"...
It's also ironic to me how they referenced the Final Fantasy series as those games usually have a similar story structure; Interesting beginnings, lots of filler dilly-dallying in the middle, and forgettable bosses (FF8 anyone?), but have a good satisfying emotional story ending.

I still enjoyed it overall, and still like it now that I just finished watching it. But now that I have a moment to recollect, I can't help but notice the big deal-breaker flaws.
I'm curious about how the rest of us felt about the series so, feel free to share thoughts.
Jozuwa-_-Jan 17, 2023 2:24 PM
-+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+-
Jan 17, 2023 2:34 PM
Jul 2021
I haven't watched dororo but I agree with what you've said. The switch from mystery thriller to action battles scenes was so sudden, I wasn't expecting it.
I still like the show, the time travel mechanic even thought is kinda similiar to other animes, has its unique characteristics, I just was expecting something a bit different.
Jan 17, 2023 2:34 PM
Sep 2021
Dororo stayed consistent throughout all of its episodes pretty much improving everything from tezukas original manga. I don’t really understand the comparison you’re making here. Summertime rendering literally went from horror all you need is kill to boring battle shounen all you need is kill. And yeah I know there’s no horror tag but come on. First half follows all the tropes of a classic horror movie and second half is just battle after battle. Feels like a completely different show. I still don’t understand what you’re trying to say about dororo
Jan 17, 2023 2:55 PM
Feb 2021
VeryGhoul said:
Dororo stayed consistent throughout all of its episodes pretty much improving everything from tezukas original manga. I don’t really understand the comparison you’re making here. Summertime rendering literally went from horror all you need is kill to boring battle shounen all you need is kill. And yeah I know there’s no horror tag but come on. First half follows all the tropes of a classic horror movie and second half is just battle after battle. Feels like a completely different show. I still don’t understand what you’re trying to say about dororo

Same here, I don't remember any major shifts in tone or genre from Dororo either. OP must be misremembering and thinking of a different show.
Jan 17, 2023 3:28 PM
Dec 2020
Yeah, I REALLY enjoyed the first few episodes but the 2nd cour....it wasn't the same thing

also a bit more confusing and eventually I stopped to care about the laws of this manga and I accepted everything that was thrown in my face
Jan 17, 2023 4:08 PM

Sep 2020
The first 6-7 episodes were so good, I initially rated the show a 10/10. But it quickly turned into a standard action shounen, it's such a shame.
Kind of like Wonder Egg Priority, it showed incredible potential but went in the completely wrong direction
Nino is the objectively superior one, don't @ me
Jan 17, 2023 5:56 PM

Apr 2020
Just to clarify, the Dororo I was talking about was the recent one. Not the old one.

The Dororo I watched in 2020 changed its tone drastically when they changed studios for the 2nd cour. From a dark, emotional, serious tone, to an adventure action, with slight comical touch as the silent protag (I forgot the name, its been so long) started doing some goofy stuff through Dororo's antics.

But opinions/perceptions may vary about that Dororo Anime so, feel free to just disregard the Dororo part of my post. (Don't know if I can edit the title. I'll fix later.)
-+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+-
Jan 17, 2023 6:04 PM

Apr 2020
MissingNo178 said:
The first 6-7 episodes were so good, I initially rated the show a 10/10. But it quickly turned into a standard action shounen, it's such a shame.
Kind of like Wonder Egg Priority, it showed incredible potential but went in the completely wrong direction
Yeah. During those parts when Shinpei was still uncovering the mystery, and when the concept of shadows was still heavily involved in the story, those were the parts of the Anime that got me so engaged. But when it became like a battle royal, and the unnecessary shipping of some characters started, that's when the vibe changed for me.

Jan 17, 2023 6:26 PM
Oct 2021
Dororo was good , it really was, in many ways a lot more solid than Summertime ….

But I love Summertime Render, I love time travel , and I love gimmicks, I love genre changes and I love everything about summertime render ๐Ÿ‘

But i do realize it was one of those things that just happened to fit my interests perfect . But still , I loved it
Jan 17, 2023 6:40 PM

Apr 2020
Tracyp3o said:
Dororo was good , it really was, in many ways a lot more solid than Summertime ….

But I love Summertime Render, I love time travel , and I love gimmicks, I love genre changes and I love everything about summertime render ๐Ÿ‘

But i do realize it was one of those things that just happened to fit my interests perfect . But still , I loved it
Glad you had a great time with it. It's definitely one of the most interesting Time Travel Anime concept we've had since Stein's Gate.
I also did enjoy it myself during my binge watch. And I'd still recommend it to people. I may have lots of nitpicks about the show now but I still enjoyed my time with it.
Jan 17, 2023 8:00 PM
May 2022
I agree. I loved SR at the beginning, but the third act really lost me.
Jan 17, 2023 9:29 PM
Dec 2020
i feel like i wouldn't of liked this show as much if i binged it insted of watching it weekly but that doesnt matter the show ended 3 months ago with a fully complete dub so yeah

the last few episodes when they were in that red domain area fighting the shadow dude were kinda bad tho
Jan 17, 2023 10:03 PM
Aug 2021
Rather than it switching themes/genres, I saw it as if it instead added things into the mix. It started very basic on a very simple, but well-constructed premise revolving around mistery, mental games, and thriller elements but, as the story progressed and the uncertainties started to unfold when a clear enemy was revealed, it incorporated action bits and survival-of-the-fittest elements to the same initial dynamic.

It never dropped the 4D chess cerebral aspects of the prota vs antagonists clash, but instead started augmenting the possible ways in which each confrontation could be resolved, sometimes in full-frontal assault kinds of ways.

There was really nowhere else to go, cause just solving the mistery would have fixed nothing.

The villains had to be defeated somehow and the way they approached it was completely logical following the set of "rules" that had been laid up to that point (unlike other stories in which an illogical new power up comes out of nowhere, unexplained à la Bleach, and fixes everything).

It was a power struggle right up until the end, and the back and forth in the balance of control of the conflict was absolutely genius. Even if the action elements became more prominent towards the end, it never abandonded it's roots in mental games being the center piece of each battle, as it ultimately always came down to who could outwit the other side the most.

Not even during the final battles did it become solely a clash of mights. If you take careful notice, you will realize that both sides became inverse parallels of each other, with the shadows starting out dominating based purely on violence but beginning to use stronger strategies as the tides of war slowly turned against them versus Shide's tactics, whereas Shide's side starting out pretty much powerless and dependant only on deception but began to gain more brawn on each time repetition until they were finally on quasi-equal terms. That is, until it was revealed that even that was a facade and the shadows had anticipated that as well and it all starts going down the drain for the heroes, really fast. Battle of brains with a sprinkle of brawns to right until the end.

My point being, just because more narrative elements/options got added into the plot it doesn't mean that the story dropped everything that made it unique in the first place. It just became richer and more varied, with new paths for both sides opening up as the story unfolded. That's how I see it.
Jan 18, 2023 2:00 AM
Sep 2021
Jozuwa-_- said:
Just to clarify, the Dororo I was talking about was the recent one. Not the old one.

The Dororo I watched in 2020 changed its tone drastically when they changed studios for the 2nd cour. From a dark, emotional, serious tone, to an adventure action, with slight comical touch as the silent protag (I forgot the name, its been so long) started doing some goofy stuff through Dororo's antics.

But opinions/perceptions may vary about that Dororo Anime so, feel free to just disregard the Dororo part of my post. (Don't know if I can edit the title. I'll fix later.)

I still struggle to understand just where exactly there’s a tone shift in dororo. I’m pretty sure you’ve completely misunderstood whatever was going on because dororo started as a classic shounen with a slightly darker tone and the occasional comedy it kept from tezukas original version and it pretty much ended with the exact same tone. Summertime literally switches genre, tone, atmosphere and even the logic in which the world operates and it turns into a completely different anime (which yeah it was a very bad decision and IMO completely ruined the story)
Jan 18, 2023 7:11 AM

Sep 2020
lol just no. Dororo(2016) never had a shift from anything to anything. It stayed consistently amazing. Summertime meandering on the other hand... I really prefer not to speak.

"๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š."- ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Jan 18, 2023 10:16 AM

Apr 2020
At this point, I'd say I'm wrong for putting "got Dororo'd" in the title of this SumRen topic. I don't know what it was that made me feel as such towards Dororo (2016), maybe it was just the sudden animation vibe change? Idk, it's been 3 years. But that's definitely how it felt to me at the time and I'd stand by that. I'll just rewatch it someday to reexperience and see if my opinion of that Anime changes.

But regardless, I say we just ignore the Dororo part for now, as I have liked having read all of your SumRen experiences.
(If only I can fix that darn title I made xP)
Jan 18, 2023 11:17 AM
May 2021
I really like summertime rendering but wasn't a fan of the different and more generic route it took in the second half. dororo's first half was easily the best of the anime but the ending was still fucking amazing.
Jan 18, 2023 12:10 PM
Jul 2022
Jozuwa-_- said:
I just finished watching Summertime Render and I quite liked it... for the most part. As engaging as its first cour has been I couldn't help but noticed the shift in presentation, from a mystery novel with some horror aspect to it, to just being a typical action w/romance anime. Even the difference between the 2 OP theme's vibes shows it, just like what happened with Dororo.
But then it became overpowered-villains-procrastinates-a-lot-to-give-protags-a-breather kind of game. And speaking of "game"...
It's also ironic to me how they referenced the Final Fantasy series as those games usually have a similar story structure; Interesting beginnings, lots of filler dilly-dallying in the middle, and forgettable bosses (FF8 anyone?), but have a good satisfying emotional story ending.

I still enjoyed it overall, and still like it now that I just finished watching it. But now that I have a moment to recollect, I can't help but notice the big deal-breaker flaws.
I'm curious about how the rest of us felt about the series so, feel free to share thoughts.

TBH, I've watched both series but Dororo was more about discovering Hyakkimaru's humanity by defeating the demons his body was sacrificed to. summertime render gives nearly the same vibe as re zero, as how Subaru died and got back to the saved time, and the saved time changes after few deaths.

summertime render's saved time didn't changed randomly like re zero's. it specified the order of how that's happening, somehow I find it similar like steins gate in that case
Jan 19, 2023 8:49 AM

Apr 2020
CornflakeSnow said:
I really like summertime rendering but wasn't a fan of the different and more generic route it took in the second half. dororo's first half was easily the best of the anime but the ending was still fucking amazing.
Yeah. This is exactly what I tried to point out about SumRen. I just couldn't word it better because my vocabulary sucks XD

But yeah, it wasn't really that the show became bad and changed its direction, it's just that the latter half was executed in a generic way. With the protag's crew constantly battling
face to face with minimal casualties which made all the build-up to the antagonists' threatening and intimidating image during the first half slowly fade away. Then it "just became "Power of Friendship and Hope" from that point on.
Heck, they even slipped in a very late VN relationship building between
during the final act which felt out-of-place and momentum-ruining. That was far from the very on-point story progression the first-cour had.

I might try to continue reading the Manga on MangaPlus
and see if the execution of the climax there were better.
Nevertheless, the Anime adaptation still has been an entertaining watch overall.
Jan 19, 2023 9:10 AM

Apr 2020
MJ_Raiyan said:
Jozuwa-_- said:

TBH, I've watched both series but Dororo was more about discovering Hyakkimaru's humanity by defeating the demons his body was sacrificed to. summertime render gives nearly the same vibe as re zero, as how Subaru died and got back to the saved time, and the saved time changes after few deaths. 

summertime render's saved time didn't changed randomly like re zero's. it specified the order of how that's happening, somehow I find it similar like steins gate in that case
SumRen's Time-loop mechanics is indeed quite interesting. But I also hoped they explained his "step-back" stuff.
Which to me felt like an unexplained cheat code. It felt like just a personality, a detective-ish trait that he has, early on in the story. But then
just kept being bothered by it, treating it as some kind of ability instead of a personal skill. Which if it is then, that makes his
And I think that's one of the reasons why the first cour felt so much different than the latter half. Because at first, it felt like Shinpei was just mostly relying on his personal "step-back" detective skill to figure things out while also dealing with his unknown time-looping conditions. But the latter half of the show just gave most of them powers and battled it out.
Side note:
Jozuwa-_-Jan 19, 2023 9:17 AM
Jan 19, 2023 9:13 AM

Apr 2020
MJ_Raiyan said:
Jozuwa-_- said:

Oh, btw, thanks for reminding me about the Re:Zero stuff. I watched its first 2 episodes last year and forgot about it having "time-loop" stuff as well.
I might just rewatch that now that SumRen awoken a Time-Travel craving in me XD Thanks.
Jan 19, 2023 9:18 AM
Jul 2022
Jozuwa-_- said:
MJ_Raiyan said:

Oh, btw, thanks for reminding me about the Re:Zero stuff. I watched its first 2 episodes last year and forgot about it having "time-loop" stuff as well.
I might just rewatch that now that SumRen awoken a Time-Travel craving in me XD Thanks.

If you want the best of time travel then watch Steins gate, Time travel theory at it's peak there. re zero 1st season emotionally captivated me by offering an awesome waifu as Rem.
Jan 19, 2023 9:25 AM

Apr 2020
MJ_Raiyan said:
Jozuwa-_- said:

If you want the best of time travel then watch Steins gate, Time travel theory at it's peak there. re zero 1st season emotionally captivated me by offering an awesome waifu as Rem.
Oh, I've seen Stein's Gate already. It's not just the utilization of Time-Travel that was good in that Anime, even the entire structure of its story was good, imo.
I guess in a way, that's how I was hoping SumRen's story was going to be told when I read a portion of the manga, and heard about the Anime adaptation.
Jan 19, 2023 3:15 PM

Oct 2011
Jozuwa-_- said:
MissingNo178 said:
Yeah. During those parts when Shinpei was still uncovering the mystery, and when the concept of shadows was still heavily involved in the story, those were the parts of the Anime that got me so engaged. But when it became like a battle royal, and the unnecessary shipping of some characters started, that's when the vibe changed for me.

if you look at the promo poster for the anime. He's in the background XD
Jan 19, 2023 8:41 PM

Apr 2020
AnimeFan500 said:
Jozuwa-_- said:

if you look at the promo poster for the anime. He's in the background XD
LOL xD
One funny thing about that is,

But he did have his (very brief) moment early on. And I believe
... hooray, I guess? XD
Jan 21, 2023 10:25 AM

Dec 2021
I loved Dororo and I love summertime render, so I wouldn't mind if it became like Dororo
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2022

82 by yusufonur98 »»
May 31, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2022

475 by jaesverse »»
May 24, 4:24 AM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2022

200 by jaesverse »»
May 24, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2022

124 by Lanz »»
May 23, 11:56 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2022

122 by jaesverse »»
May 23, 7:06 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.