Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Important! Clearing up confusion and mistranslation of the recent news about Part 3 being split into cours.

Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 17, 2023 8:25 AM

Oct 2020
A reliable leaker posted a few days ago that the season will be split and the first cour will start on March 4th. However, this leaker's English is not the best, so their ''cour'' doesn't mean what we know it does. This tweet has since been deleted as this leaker always does once the info is officially out.

Today Mappa largely confirmed this, except one very important thing seems to be misinterpreted.

AoT Part 3 (officially named Conclusion Arc) is not 2 cours as in X episodes each. It's just 2 long episodes TOTAL airing in an unconventional way. So basically Part 3 is two TV specials (read long episodes) with the first releasing on March 3rd. We're only getting ONE episode on March 3rd and nothing until they announce the date of the 2nd episode.

English news sources keep reporting this as 2 parts suggesting multiple episodes, even if the Japanese original tweet clearly states there will only be two broadcasts. One on March 3rd and another yet undecided but still 2023.

EDIT: Here are the tweets:
https://twitter.com/anime_shingeki/status/1615273218671104001?t=rhXRDSFW0Z9Kgq-Ivjj7Lw&s=19
https://twitter.com/MAPPA_Info/status/1615273706049400832?t=ob5irwBBNmCdl8docbAJKQ&s=19

And here is an example of a Japanese person confirming this:
https://twitter.com/jurkieriver/status/1615316537925341186?t=zRQ5Mk17ptpTsIxVvESsVw&s=19
I_Am_FreeballingJan 17, 2023 8:46 AM
Jan 17, 2023 8:36 AM

Oct 2020
Requiemzeke said:
I_Am_Freeballing said:
A reliable leaker posted a few days ago that the season will be split and the first cour will start on March 4th. However, this leaker's English is not the best, so their ''cour'' doesn't mean what we know it does.

Today Mappa largely confirmed this, except one very important thing seems to be misinterpreted.

AoT Part 3 (officially named Conclusion Arc) is not 2 cours as in X episodes each. It's just 2 long episodes TOTAL airing in an unconventional way. So basically Part 3 is two TV specials (read long episodes) with the first releasing on March 3rd. We're only getting ONE episode on March 3rd and nothing until they announce the date of the 2nd episode.

English news sources keep reporting this as 2 parts suggesting multiple episodes, even if the Japanese original tweet clearly states there will only be two broadcasts. One on March 3rd and another yet undecided but still 2023.
2 episode ? Of many hours right
We don't know the exact length of these episodes but I believe the first one will be 1-1.5 hours long. The 2nd one should be longer based on content but that's just my guess. They should definitely be at least an hour each.
Jan 17, 2023 8:37 AM

Jun 2021
Important part is, it's still split.
Remember what Master Oogway told us:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

Nov 2012
For an explanation like this, mentioning the source could've been beneficial.
Dec 2015
Two episode part that’s ridiculous 🤣
Jan 17, 2023 8:40 AM

May 2008
TahZin said:
https://shingeki.tv/news/archives/7614
Jan 17, 2023 8:41 AM

Oct 2020
Bard_Eren said:
Important part is, it's still split.
Not in the way the majority thinks, hence the need to clear it up.

TahZin said:
Sorry. The source is the official Twitter but I'll edit my post providing links shortly.
Jan 17, 2023 8:43 AM
Aug 2021
9 chapters crammed into 2 episodes they would both have to be movie length 😬
Jan 17, 2023 8:45 AM

Oct 2013
Very important thread. Linguistic nuances have proven to be as helpful as confusing when it came to leaks. This leak has also proved that many anime fans do not have any idea on what exactly is "a cour". They just blindly repeated "two cours, ayo" without even giving it a second thought.

I can see Kanketsu-hen being aired in such unconventional way. In fact, it'd be surely an interesting experience, imitating movie vibes, but without being a movie itself.
Jan 17, 2023 8:46 AM
Jul 2022
honestly they should’ve just made the last 9 chapters into a movie instead of this splitting and making us wait. i do appreciate them taking time into the animation though
Jan 17, 2023 8:48 AM
Jun 2021
I_Am_Freeballing said:
A reliable leaker posted a few days ago that the season will be split and the first cour will start on March 4th. However, this leaker's English is not the best, so their ''cour'' doesn't mean what we know it does.

That's what I was thinking. When trailer for S4 part 2 dropped it clearly said "Broadcast" but in part 3 trailer it says "Special Broadcast". Also in the mappa tweet it says that they were planning to release the entire part 3 on March 3. Think about it, why would they choose March 3. It's a very unconventional date. If they wanted to air all the part 3 episodes weekly, They would go with April 2023 when the new spring season starts. But no they wanted to go with March 3. But due to fuck ups in the production they are now splitting the part 3 into 2 parts. So what you are saying is most probably correct, we will get 2 special episodes approx 1.5 hrs long.
Jan 17, 2023 8:52 AM

Oct 2020
ashcashg said:
honestly they should’ve just made the last 9 chapters into a movie instead of this splitting and making us wait. i do appreciate them taking time into the animation though
The initial plan was to do just one even longer special. But as their statement says, the work expanded significantly so they had to split it into two specials instead.

King_common said:
9 chapters crammed into 2 episodes they would both have to be movie length 😬
We will see. It is unclear how long they will be but I assume both will be over an hour long.
I_Am_FreeballingJan 17, 2023 8:57 AM
Jan 17, 2023 8:56 AM
Sep 2021
you think theyre gonna add more content or something? Its such a weird way to end aot
(now dont get me wrong, i dont want an aoe but it sounds like they could actually add more things so im open to that possibility )
Jan 17, 2023 8:59 AM

Oct 2020
VeryGhoul said:
you think theyre gonna add more content or something? Its such a weird way to end aot
(now dont get me wrong, i dont want an aoe but it sounds like they could actually add more things so im open to that possibility )
I expect minor changes but not anything that would constitute a new ending.
Jan 17, 2023 9:07 AM
Sep 2021
yeah. Would be nice if they added minor things that just expand upon the source material. Beyond that, i too doubt the ending is changing in any big way
Jan 17, 2023 9:22 AM

May 2021
I hope they won't rush this part and will keep the pacing right.
Jan 17, 2023 9:29 AM

Jul 2019
2 movies length ep. I hope they release 2nd part in theater.
Jan 17, 2023 9:58 AM
Jun 2021
baryaakov555 said:

2 very long episodes.
Jan 17, 2023 10:05 AM
Nov 2021
So is this legit , it is only two massive episodes one being aired on 3rd March and another on a later date.
Jan 17, 2023 10:40 AM

Jan 2020
Is the word "movie" also a mistranslation? Is it just 2 episodes that'll air on the usual streaming services? Or is it going to be a theatrical release? 
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jan 17, 2023 11:14 AM
Dec 2022
Thank you 🙏 💜
Jan 17, 2023 11:23 AM

Oct 2020
samashi20 said:
Is the word "movie" also a mistranslation? Is it just 2 episodes that'll air on the usual streaming services? Or is it going to be a theatrical release? 
They are not movies in the real sense of the word, however, the 2 episodes we're gonna get are gonna be long and I expect them to be 1-1.5 hours each. But they will air on TV and be on streaming services. They will not be in theaters.
Jan 17, 2023 11:28 AM

Jan 2020
I_Am_Freeballing said:
samashi20 said:
They are not movies in the real sense of the word, however, the 2 episodes we're gonna get are gonna be long and I expect them to be 1-1.5 hours each. But they will air on TV and be on streaming services. They will not be in theaters.
Thanks for clarifying! I'll take it I guess. At this point, I just want to see the end of it. 
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jan 17, 2023 11:48 AM

Aug 2020
Requiemzeke said:
I_Am_Freeballing said:

2 episode ? Of many hours right

I mean yeah like around 1.5-2 hours since there’s 9 chapters left. I guess the other half will be anime original.
Jan 17, 2023 11:50 AM

Oct 2020
There will be no anime original apart from a few additions. The first episode is adapting 131-134 and the second episode is adapting 135-139.
Jan 17, 2023 12:40 PM

Jun 2012
Well, this is the best alternative to what we were expecting to be a normal broadcast of an 8 or 9 episodes season, I guess. I definitely like this more than the idea the badly translated leak seemed to suggest. At least we know the second episode is going to air this year. I'm fine with that.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Jan 17, 2023 12:59 PM
Jun 2022
baryaakov555 said:

two movies for 9 chapters thats pretty impressive 👌🏽👌🏽
Jan 17, 2023 2:45 PM

Jul 2012
This means at least the final episodes can be paired together on MAL without creating another entry for them.
Jan 17, 2023 3:04 PM
Jan 2020
I'm a bit confused on where the two eps info is coming from. The official tweets say

【TVアニメ「進撃の巨人」The Final Season完結編の放送に関するお知らせ】 このたび、TVアニメ「進撃の巨人」The Final Season 完結編が、前・後編の二部構成での 放送となりますことをご報告させて頂きます。 ご理解を賜れますよう宜しくお願い申し上げます。 

https://twitter.com/anime_shingeki/status/1615273218671104001?t=rhXRDSFW0Z9Kgq-Ivjj7Lw

which roughly means "Notice relating to broadcasting the TV anime 'Attack on Titan' The Final Season, Concluding Part. On this occasion, TV anime 'Attack on Titan' the Final Season Concluding Part will be aired in two parts, a before and after part (could also be prequel and sequel/conclusion)." I'm gonna skip the rest because it's polite PR speak and apologizing.

More literally, "the broadcast has changed and will be structured as two parts, a before and an after." From what I can see, there is no explicit confirmation of a single episode vs multiple. The fact that the first part is airing at a weird time in the season (3/3) seems reasonable that it could be one episode, but AoT has had unorthodox episode counts before so maybe it will be 4-5 episodes throughout march concluding the remaining 9 chapters in time for the spring season to start. Depending on how far they get in part 1, the second part might finish the story, or might be a special for the extra chapter. The last chapters are quite long, which makes me think this will be more than two episodes, unless they are really long or content is skipped.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I've made an egregious misinterpretation. Something is definitely off though.
Jan 17, 2023 3:05 PM

Oct 2010
at this point we're left to see nhk schedule for march 3rd because we can't seem to agree on anything
which is a very shingeki no kyojin-like thing
Jan 17, 2023 3:20 PM

Oct 2020
pillows2 said:
I'm a bit confused on where the two eps info is coming from. The official tweets say

【TVアニメ「進撃の巨人」The Final Season完結編の放送に関するお知らせ】 このたび、TVアニメ「進撃の巨人」The Final Season 完結編が、前・後編の二部構成での 放送となりますことをご報告させて頂きます。 ご理解を賜れますよう宜しくお願い申し上げます。 

https://twitter.com/anime_shingeki/status/1615273218671104001?t=rhXRDSFW0Z9Kgq-Ivjj7Lw

which roughly means "Notice relating to broadcasting the TV anime 'Attack on Titan' The Final Season, Concluding Part. On this occasion, TV anime 'Attack on Titan' the Final Season Concluding Part will be aired in two parts, a before and after part (could also be prequel and sequel/conclusion)." I'm gonna skip the rest because it's polite PR speak and apologizing.

More literally, "the broadcast has changed and will be structured as two parts, a before and an after." From what I can see, there is no explicit confirmation of a single episode vs multiple. The fact that the first part is airing at a weird time in the season (3/3) seems reasonable that it could be one episode, but AoT has had unorthodox episode counts before so maybe it will be 4-5 episodes throughout march concluding the remaining 9 chapters in time for the spring season to start. Depending on how far they get in part 1, the second part might finish the story, or might be a special for the extra chapter. The last chapters are quite long, which makes me think this will be more than two episodes, unless they are really long or content is skipped.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I've made an egregious misinterpretation. Something is definitely off though.
There are nuances only people who read Japanese can see. Their statement says they wanted to release ALL of Part 3 on March 3rd as a single special which was impossible due to the amount of work increasing. The tweet says there will be a ''special broadcast'' solely on March 3rd which is one episode only. There is no mistake here. The english translators messed up.
Jan 17, 2023 6:22 PM

Sep 2019
I_Am_Freeballing said:
A reliable leaker posted a few days ago that the season will be split and the first cour will start on March 4th. However, this leaker's English is not the best, so their ''cour'' doesn't mean what we know it does. This tweet has since been deleted as this leaker always does once the info is officially out.

https://twitter.com/anime_shingeki/status/1615273218671104001?t=rhXRDSFW0Z9Kgq-Ivjj7Lw&s=19
https://twitter.com/MAPPA_Info/status/1615273706049400832?t=ob5irwBBNmCdl8docbAJKQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/jurkieriver/status/1615316537925341186?t=zRQ5Mk17ptpTsIxVvESsVw&s=19
you know Japanese and I don't even know proper engrisho
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Jan 17, 2023 6:52 PM
Aug 2022
Peeti said:
I_Am_Freeballing said:

Do you know punjabi peeti?
Jan 17, 2023 7:55 PM
Jan 2021
Abdf said:

I really hope they don't do this, as epic as theater releases are, some people will have to wait very long for the release, and some will not get it at all before it lands on CR or Funimation
Jan 17, 2023 7:58 PM

Oct 2020
AppiXx said:
Abdf said:

I really hope they don't do this, as epic as theater releases are, some people will have to wait very long for the release, and some will not get it at all before it lands on CR or Funimation
They won't. It's confirmed both episodes will air on TV and various streaming services. We just don't know when the 2nd one is airing.
Jan 17, 2023 8:01 PM
Jan 2020
I_Am_Freeballing said:
pillows2 said:

There are nuances only people who read Japanese can see. Their statement says they wanted to release ALL of Part 3 on March 3rd as a single special which was impossible due to the amount of work increasing. The tweet says there will be a ''special broadcast'' solely on March 3rd which is one episode only. There is no mistake here. The english translators messed up.
I read Japanese lol. The tweets have the same text so I thought they were the same, but they both append different images. The official AoT Anime account that I referenced makes no mention of it, but for some reason the MAPPA one does.

The relevant part is

弊社は当初、完結編を3月3日に全て放送することを目標に制作を続けてまいりました。

しかし制作を集めていく過程で、想定より大幅に作業量が膨れ上がってしまい、委員会各社に相談のもと前編、後編と二部構成にて公開することとなりました。

Roughly: "Our company, initially, proceeded working with the goal of releasing the concluding part on 3/3 in it's entirety.

However, in the process of readying production, we realized the work load was a lot larger than initially thought. After consulting with all the committees and companies, the release to the public will be structured as 2 parts."

Certainly looks like two episodes. I really hope this means they realized it was going to be more than two hours, meaning we'll get two hour+ episodes. But after how rocky the years-long release of the final season has been, I'm not holding out too much hope they'll be much longer than 30 mins.
Jan 17, 2023 8:05 PM
Jan 2021
I_Am_Freeballing said:
AppiXx said:

They won't. It's confirmed both episodes will air on TV and various streaming services. We just don't know when the 2nd one is airing.

Nice, was worried for a sec, Denmark does not always get anime releases in theaters
Jan 17, 2023 8:07 PM

Oct 2020
pillows2 said:
I_Am_Freeballing said:
I read Japanese lol. The tweets have the same text so I thought they were the same, but they both append different images. The official AoT Anime account that I referenced makes no mention of it, but for some reason the MAPPA one does.
The relevant part is
弊社は当初、完結編を3月3日に全て放送することを目標に制作を続けてまいりました。
しかし制作を集めていく過程で、想定より大幅に作業量が膨れ上がってしまい、委員会各社に相談のもと前編、後編と二部構成にて公開することとなりました。
Roughly: "Our company, initially, proceeded working with the goal of releasing the concluding part on 3/3 in it's entirety.
However, in the process of readying production, we realized the work load was a lot larger than initially thought. After consulting with all the committees and companies, the release to the public will be structured as 2 parts."
Certainly looks like two episodes. I really hope this means they realized it was going to be more than two hours, meaning we'll get two hour+ episodes. But after how rocky the years-long release of the final season has been, I'm not holding out too much hope they'll be much longer than 30 mins.
Glad to see we're on the same page. As to the length of the episodes, I just posted another thread with my predictions: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2070807
Jan 17, 2023 8:09 PM
Mar 2021
for people saying they are dragging this anime.
First go and check out the projects Mappa already have up their sleeves.
no wonder it's getting delayed. they're trying to give us the best adaptation of manga, try to be humble atleast?
Jan 17, 2023 11:56 PM

Sep 2019
Badguy_oncel said:
Peeti said:
ਹਾਂ ਵਈ। ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਤਾਂ ਆਉਂਦੀ ਆ। ਹਾਂ ਮਾਸਟਰ ਜਿੰਨੀ ਨੀ ਆਉਂਦੀ।
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Jan 18, 2023 12:06 AM
Aug 2022
Peeti said:
Badguy_oncel said:
mujhe punjabi nahi aata bhai, meh south se hu
Jan 18, 2023 1:32 AM

Sep 2019
Badguy_oncel said:
Peeti said:
mujhe punjabi nahi aata bhai, meh south se hu
ok ok. Mujhe lga ke shayad aata hoga.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season - Kanketsu-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 4, 2023

1457 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season - Kanketsu-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 3, 2023

1048 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Yesterday, 8:59 PM

» Why is this so ugly??? ( 1 2 )

kizumi91 - Nov 5, 2023

60 by Akuya »»
Apr 25, 7:19 AM

» ending (spoiler) ( 1 2 3 )

leyaf - Apr 2

101 by eslam722 »»
Apr 15, 6:02 AM

» What would the characters favorite anime be?

TASM18 - Apr 5

25 by kush_void »»
Apr 7, 6:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.