Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2010 2:16 PM

Jan 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Really enjoyed this extra chapter. At first I thought, wow, new Nina is such a bitch. But, you know, everything worked out with Hiroki and Nina together, and Ayu and Tetsushi ended up staying together. All five novels to me deserves an 8.

Gotta say, though, it was hilarious how Tetsushi was so confused when they were all at Nina's house. Hiroki's all like, "I'll explain everything to you later." lol.
Apr 21, 2011 4:40 PM

May 2010
I liked this ending. A sweet series.
Aug 17, 2013 6:35 PM

Nov 2009
I actually thought that that was the real Nina ... Was about to be kind of shocked if they went w/ an ending where Nina basically feels she has "outgrown" her friends. Anyways the series was okay. It had some parts that made it interesting ... But also some very basic flaws. So while I liked it, I would give it a 6/10.
Sep 8, 2018 10:26 AM

Dec 2012
Well this certainly came as a surprise. Seems weird to cram in one more twist so close to the end. At least it ended nicely enough though. Ultra Maniac is able to drum up drama and wrap it up in a timely manner. And seeing Nina as her sweet, same ol' self always brightens my day.

It is disappointing to finish it so soon. I was so immersed in the crazy antics, I forgot it was only 25 chapters. Each one carried a charming dose of wacky fun that kept me glued to every page. There was no shortage of delight and the only thing it lacked was more time to grow on me. I'll most especially miss Nina's high energy personality as she ended up becoming my main reason to keep going. Whenever I finished a chapter, I would always wonder what she was going to be up to next. Indeed, I'd say she was truly bewitching.

8/10
May 20, 2022 6:52 AM
Jul 2020
Pirating_Ninja said:
I actually thought that that was the real Nina ... Was about to be kind of shocked if they went w/ an ending where Nina basically feels she has "outgrown" her friends. Anyways the series was okay. It had some parts that made it interesting ... But also some very basic flaws. So while I liked it, I would give it a 6/10.

I agree with this! I think it would’ve been interesting to see how people change and outgrow friends in 3 years and you can’t relate to your old self, like how Nina used to be before she went to Eltoria. The chapter was good for what is was though, I like how this ended on a good note.

I have to admit, I felt that Ultra Maniac overall was a bit underwhelming. On the last page of volume 5 where it contains a bio section of Wataru Yoshizumi, there was a comment section added where she mentioned that once this series started, she became less interested in magic and struggled coming up with ideas for the manga. This seems to explain why the plot was so basic. Everything about this series was pretty basic and straight to the point. Don’t get me wrong, this was a very cute series that I felt was handled well (for the most part) but there was nothing ground-breaking when it came to the magical aspect of Ultra Maniac. There were different scenarios per chapter that just got boring after a while. Then Half Breeds were introduced, which finally showed the magic world from a different angle. Volume 5 was probably the most interesting to read because it finally introduced Nina as more than just some silly individual who ruins their magic spells and her potential for greater things is high on the pedestal. This was definitely a last minute plot for sure, but I think this series could’ve been cut shorter by introducing this plot earlier on. This series dragged out a little too long with the weird love triangles that I don’t think was really needed for this series.

Also, why is this series called ‘Ultra Maniac’ to begin with? I mean, it was a passing comment here and there in the story, but I don’t think the title really fits with the actual story.

All and all, I rate this series 6/10. It was a simple, cute story that younger people can enjoy, but as for me, the re-read value isn’t as high for me as it is for ‘Marmalade Boy’, which is Wataru Yoshizumi’s magnum opus.
azenobioJun 29, 2022 1:25 PM
Oct 26, 2023 11:25 AM
Apr 2021
They actually made a reference to Maya from the anime. I did think the manga to be the better of the two but I'd say both anime and manga were enjoyable while not the most groundbreaking. Glad to have seen both and this extra ending was good to have.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ultra Maniac Chapter 10 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Aug 17, 2013

2 by AoiroBlueColor »»
Oct 16, 2023 10:00 AM

Poll: » Ultra Maniac Chapter 6 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Aug 16, 2013

1 by AoiroBlueColor »»
Oct 14, 2023 6:13 AM

» The Title of this series…

azenobio - Aug 18, 2022

0 by azenobio »»
Aug 18, 2022 3:47 AM

Poll: » Ultra Maniac Chapter 20 Discussion

YukiPwns00 - Apr 14, 2011

2 by azenobio »»
May 18, 2022 5:12 AM

Poll: » Ultra Maniac Chapter 18 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Aug 17, 2013

1 by azenobio »»
May 18, 2022 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.