Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 25, 2022 2:15 AM

Feb 2020
Good movie. I'm so glad they won the relay. Congratulation, guys!

So, I guess this is really the end? If so, I'll definitely miss this show and all the characters. This has been a very long and enjoyable ride.

SerafosJan 10, 10:39 AM
Dec 25, 2022 2:32 AM
Nov 2019
Did you guys know who is the woman appear at the end of the free 5 movie... Is it Haru's mother or who?
Dec 27, 2022 3:51 PM

Jul 2017
ima miss this series so much, been watching it for so many years now to see it finally ends make me sad. Enjoyed it so much and was great seeing haru and the gang getting first place!! need to rewatch this series again at some point!
Dec 27, 2022 7:01 PM

Aug 2017
I want to believe is the mother and not a made up love interest for Haru.
~ L'avenir s'ouvre ~
Dec 28, 2022 5:37 AM

Mar 2020
Great movie! The story is great and animation of course. Thanks Kyoto Animation and staffs!
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Dec 29, 2022 10:39 AM

Aug 2015
it was a good series and movie, watched it when it came out on Christmas.. 
Jan 4, 2023 5:58 PM

Dec 2020
i'm crying ;-; it's been a long journey
Jan 4, 2023 11:32 PM
May 2018
I'm gonna miss them so much 😭 I'm already missing
It was a beautiful and long journey but it definitely isn't enough to make me satisfied i need more ಥ⁠_⁠ಥ
I love makoharu my cuties nagisa rei i could watch them forever (⁠。⁠ŏ⁠﹏⁠ŏ⁠)

im kinda sad now but it was good i hope they'll come back somehow, they've grown up so much im so proud of them

but why did they just drop that random character at the end? it'd make sense if it's haru's mother, otherwise i can't really tell why she's there and who she is

Guess we'll just keep wondering and have no answers, better think abou makoharu i love them
Jan 19, 2023 10:02 PM

Jan 2011
As expected of 'Free' to end the anime with a relay as the last big race. Amazing how we got to see those 4 swim together. I'm sure many of us thought that would be a dream come true, since there was a lot of tension. But! It happened! It was also definitely nice seeing Sousuke caring more for and Haru, since I always wanted them to get closer. I can only thank everyone who came together to make this masterpiece for making that happen!!!  .·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·. 

But!!

There are some things I didn't like seeing. Haru's body reaching its limit. That was something I didn't want to see. After what happened in the end of the last movie, I was touched. I thought, they finally did it. Haru breaking. Emotionally. It's amazing that it didn't happen sooner. Although we did see him lose his cool for a while before graduating high school, this time they perfectly showed his loneliness. And who can blame Haru? He lives alone, and the person who opened his view of swimming left him with bad words, making Haru quit swimming at a point. And then meeting Albert, questioning his reason for swimming, Haru pushes himself to get stronger and faster in this movie. But I would have liked to see it go down a different route.

For example, Haru cutting off everyone and giving them the cold shoulder to train. Him getting faster and even beating Albert by a landslide. Albert feeling disappointed that the swimming Haru showed him was different from the first time they swam together and wanting to retire. Haru then pushes himself so much as he wins multiple competitions, he ends up collapsing. His friends worry about him but Haru refuses to see them. We get a time skip of a year, then Rin who gets special training returns confident and goes up against Haru, making him remember that he's not alone. In the end, they swim the relay together against Albert who returns and the US, and Albert smiles, happy to see Haru swim the way he did before. Happy ending!

Well....while things didn't go like that, this wasn't so bad. It'd be nice if they make a sequel with a time skip of a few years. I wouldn't even mind having new characters, (like those two kids who looks at Haru's relay race with admiration) and have Haru return as a Coach or something. 

9/10 for me. (〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜
Jan 20, 2023 3:12 AM

May 2013
As someone who has been watching Free! ongoing since the very first episode, someone who loved the original series, and someone who has not liked the recent installments of the franchise, I was very apprehensive going into this one, but I feel like it captured the essence of what the first season was, somehow. I enjoyed the visual metaphors immensely, all of the dream sequences were so poignant!
I'm also happy they did not actually show us the Olympics itself. Such a nice open ending with the true end so clear. The railway scene at the end brought me to tears. Something about how Free! is about the two of them and the dream they share just makes it so right. 
Wow, what a movie...
Jan 20, 2023 3:20 AM

May 2013
sarahrose1132 said:
Did you guys know who is the woman appear at the end of the free 5 movie... Is it Haru's mother or who?
shin_kenouki said:
I want to believe is the mother and not a made up love interest for Haru.

It's Aki from the original novels! She went to the same SC as the boys. This was confirmed at the stage greeting for the movie.
What I'm getting from the context is, Free! is over as a story of Haru, so maybe they introduced her because they are planning to make a girls swimming anime now? :D
Mar 3, 2023 10:43 PM
Sep 2018
where was the time capsule from again?? i know haru and makoto did one but i cant remember if it was with rin and nagisa or like another group of friends
Mar 3, 2023 10:46 PM
Sep 2018
omg i didnt even know they had an LN. that'd be interesting.

im sad free is over...it's my favourite sports anime
Mar 8, 2023 12:33 AM

Aug 2013
It's kinda bittersweet that my favorite sports anime came to end after such a long nice journey.
I really enjoyed watching the series and loved all the characters, the music, the animation, and everything. 
With this movie, I had high expectations and I'm not gonna say that I'm disappointed because it is a nice finish for the anime, however, it's only a 7/10 for me.
What really surprised me though, is that they went to Hungary, and had shots at Budapest. 
It just made the ending extra special for me to see my beloved characters in my home country. 

Anyways it has been a wonderful journey, thank you Kyoto Animation for these 10 years. 
Free! will always take up a special place in my heart. :')
MelinkaMar 8, 2023 4:17 PM

May 9, 2023 4:45 PM
Jan 2020
sarahrose1132 said:

I think his mother idk :(
May 25, 2023 12:39 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Solid finish to what has been an entertaining sports series! If I remember correctly, I watched my first episode of the series during a summer sometime about 5 years ago and I was blown away just by the mesmerising animation. And that feeling has hardly changed, got to give massive credit to KyoAni for that! In terms of the soundtrack, it feels like it just got better, so that's a plus.

Like the last movie, the massive cast of the show was highlighted and many characters got the attention here that they deserved. Significant growth for our two main characters in Rin and Haru, and it was nice to see Makoto in the loop of things too. I could go on and list like 20 different top moments of each character, the crew really knew what they were going for here. Albert's character could've obviously had more development and whatnot and more Gotou-san scenes but nothing takes the throne from that lady shown in the end. Was that Haru's mother? I don't remember them having any significant role in the story at all so it feels a bit odd if that's the case... 

Final medley relay was set up wonderfully with the first sub-group ensuring that the group would be in contention for the final and Haru's risky plan of using up his life force to compete against the likes of the world's best. Didn't think Sousuke would recover in time though, but glad that turned out to be the case. Nationwide star from then on, that definitely adds up given his final push there to edge past Albert. Yikes, things could've been really serious but thankfully it just kept him out of action momentarily. 

Thank you, KyoAni! I'll definitely miss this series. Certainly felt a little heart string tug after the two commemorative photos with appreciative messages to the fans. No chance of a sequel from here on, but I suppose it's fitting this way nonetheless.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 15, 2023 7:20 AM

Jul 2015
Satisfying end to this series with the final medley relay and Haru doing what he does best, swimming free.

Jul 17, 2023 4:48 AM
Sep 2015
This is almost a dream-like sequence, it's just too good to be true, like suddenly helicopter appear. But I assume that KyoAni doesn't want to have any regret in this final Free! anime, so they put everything.

I feel like the most popular question about Free! is that, is this gay or not? And sadly I can't find the answer for that. But this is the very definition of fujobait, to make the audience asking this question.

Oh, and I just check that the word "fujobait" was created after Free! was aired 10 years ago. KyoAni wasn't just trying to be trendy, the studio CREATED this trend, such a badass decision!

But now the fujobait era comes to an end, I hope the anime of the next era will provide the answer to this ultimate question.
Jul 30, 2023 5:47 AM
Jan 2022
it's good, the anime is great as usual and I guess it's nice
Aug 14, 2023 10:26 PM
Jul 2020
I started watching free this month and now I've finally finished it,it was beautiful and amazing 🥺,I'm gon miss this show 🤗
Aug 27, 2023 12:55 AM
Aug 2023
AriaZenOkis said:
I started watching free this month and now I've finally finished it,it was beautiful and amazing 🥺,I'm gon miss this show 🤗
I am a big free fan now I am finally rewatched this beauty of an anime again, so happy and glad I watched something like this. But now it's sad that it's ended again.
Oct 29, 2023 10:21 AM
Jul 2015
The way they have 18more mins they put ending credit i was like huh so long

End up whole 8 mins full of photos official fanservice and sexy arts of each individual characters free

I scream the whole minutes while touching my screen laptop *fangirling is real* we lost our voice n breath

I dont know how the fans handle in movie theater

Bcs basically squealing in every seconds 💀💀💀💦💦💦 SO FUCKING HOT
Dec 10, 2023 8:17 AM
Jun 2016
sarahrose1132 said:

I just watched the movie and had the same questions. After searching a bit online I found her.

Her name is Aki Yazaki. She was a classmate of Haru(ka), Makoto, and Rin at Iwatobi Elementary school. It seems she was also in the Swimming Club that Haru and the others went to.
I don't remember her appearing in the anime, however she was a minor character in the light novels "High Speed" (the source material of the anime).

https://free-anime.fandom.com/wiki/Aki_Yazaki
Jan 6, 11:35 AM

Sep 2017
Well it's finally over. Feeling a little nostalgic having watched Free for the first time way back is 2017 or something/ Not quite when it first came out, but still. It was a satisfying conclusion for sure. A relay race was the perfect way to end it. It's not the same 4 ppl that have been doing relays together since they were kids or anything, but it's certainly a great group of guys to do the final relay with. Albert was alright himself if you can get past his hilarious voice acting.
Apr 10, 11:51 PM
Jul 2008
Finally ended? It's been 10 years since I've watched this first time.
Because of covid, I forgot about this anime.
It's really hard to find this anime nowadays.

Since Dive to Future, the story seems rushed.
Didn't even show Haruka won ticket to the first All Japan.

The final medley team inserting Sousuke seems a bit forced, he specialized in Butterfly but he took the Backstroke position.
It's nice they at last won gold in international competition.

Maybe someday they will make another series. If Prince of Tennis never ends, no reason Free can end too.

More topics from this board

» Free! movie 5 - The Final Stroke - Kouhen

MeZaDefined - Feb 11, 2023

0 by MeZaDefined »»
Feb 11, 2023 12:55 AM

» Where can I watch it?!?!

RealCheeze - Oct 23, 2022

7 by RealCheeze »»
Jan 6, 2023 11:59 PM

» Western release??

Wildbergerrrr - Sep 23, 2022

1 by RealCheeze »»
Oct 31, 2022 9:10 PM

» When will this end?

takyagami - Jun 20, 2021

10 by XquisiteWig »»
Sep 11, 2022 12:44 PM

» What's the timeline?

thislovelyvoid - Aug 25, 2022

1 by seantan797 »»
Aug 26, 2022 11:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.