Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 13, 2022 9:31 PM

Mar 2018
Please leave your suggestions for the website here.

Current Suggestions:
- [Done] Dark-mode
- [In Progress] Re-design of the Ranking, Badges and Levels page. Too much empty unused space.
- [In Progress] Fix all grammatical issues.
- [In Progress] Increase Badge Level Cap to 50.
- [In Progress] Current Badges Check. Some need to go away, some need to change.
- [In Progress] Re-design in showing badges including its information.
- [In Consideration] New Genre and/or Themed Badges.
- [In Consideration] New Series Badges.
- [In Consideration] New Studio Badges
- [In Consideration] Earlier badges like 1970s and 1960s by DarkEmperor69
- [In Consideration] preserve the capitalization from a person's MAL profile by Kwanthemaster
- [Checking] Episode Badges (13-24 -> 12-24 // 1-12 -> 1-11) by Astalo
- [Checking] Director Badges for well known directors by Atlos
- [Checking] Badges from influential people and popular studios by Usagi-san-chan
- [Checking] Cap Levels of Yearly and Genre Badges when it comes to titles available by Nevelin
- [Checking] Donghua badge as there are more titles like these nowadays by Nevelin

Suggestion Legend

• [Done] - Accepted, and live.
  • [In Progress] - Accepted, but not live yet.
  • [In Consideration] - (Large) requests added to our internal list of tasks, but unclear of when we'll be able to process them.
  • [Checking] - Not accepted nor Denied yet. These will be checked.
  • [Rejected] - Denied, not open for suggestion or discussion.

Koito91Dec 24, 2022 12:13 AM

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 14, 2022 2:22 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Thanks for posting the Suggestions topic! I think my suggestion might fall under the category of levels and experience gained.

What I've suggested over 3 years ago in this club was to fix the experience/xp gained for the badges of OVA Fan, ONA Fan & Special Fan so these three would be similar with the requirements for TV Fan.

TV Fan:

The xp list for TV Fan consists of 100, 200, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 5000, 10000.

OVA Fan:

ONA Fan:

Special Fan:

Unlike TV Fan, these three badges have a smaller xp gain: 10, 50, 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000

==================================

Since the 4 of them have pretty much the same list of requirements (except for ONA fan with a max of 500), I think it would be much more appropriate and would make more sense that the xp gain for OVA Fan, ONA Fan & Special Fan be increased and, more preferably, simply copy the xp list of TV Fan for these three badges so all four badges would have the same xp amount, keeping all four coherent altogether.

1000 OVAs or 1000 Specials completed is already an astonishing achievement and those deserve more xp.

Also, from what I remember from last time, Movie Fan badge was supposed to be exactly the same with TV Fan with its requirements and xp.

Movie Fan:

Movie Fan wasn't like this before. ^_^; Now this badge is just like the badges for genres (Action, Adventure, Comedy etc.).

Speaking of genres, I was wondering if certain genre badges would be replaced? Dementia is now referred to as "Avant Garde" so my Dementia badge is now empty, lol. And Thriller has now been labeled as "Suspense". Will there now be badges for "Workplace", "Adult Cast", or "Idols"?

I'm sorry for posting so many questions about the new genre badges and that might put too much work for you immediately. I'm aware that Mal-badges has just been re-launched again and a lot of things are still being considered. But at least I'm hoping that changing the levels for the xp & amount of the five badges I mentioned above would be taken into consideration. After more than 3 years, it just doesn't sit right with me that these five badges are not the same with each other. D:

Thank you very much and have a nice day!
Dec 14, 2022 2:44 AM

Nov 2018
LunyRem said:
Thanks for posting the Suggestions topic! I think my suggestion might fall under the category of levels and experience gained.

What I've suggested over 3 years ago in this club was to fix the experience/xp gained for the badges of OVA Fan, ONA Fan & Special Fan so these three would be similar with the requirements for TV Fan.

TV Fan:

The xp list for TV Fan consists of 100, 200, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 5000, 10000.

OVA Fan:

ONA Fan:

Special Fan:

Unlike TV Fan, these three badges have a smaller xp gain: 10, 50, 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000

Since the 4 of them have pretty much the same list of requirements (except for ONA fan with a max of 500), I think it would be much more appropriate and would make more sense that the xp gain for OVA Fan, ONA Fan & Special Fan be increased and, more preferably, simply copy the xp list of TV Fan for these three badges so all four badges would have the same xp amount, keeping all four coherent altogether.

1000 OVAs or 1000 Specials completed is already an astonishing achievement and those deserve more xp.

Also, from what I remember from last time, Movie Fan badge was supposed to be exactly the same with TV Fan with its requirements and xp.

Movie Fan:

Movie Fan wasn't like this before. ^_^; Now this badge is just like the badges for genres (Action, Adventure, Comedy etc.).

Speaking of genres, I was wondering if certain genre badges would be replaced? Dementia is now referred to as "Avant Garde" so my Dementia badge is now empty, lol. And Thriller has now been labeled as "Suspense". Will there now be badges for "Workplace", "Adult Cast", or "Idols"?

I'm sorry for posting so many questions about the new genre badges and that might put too much work for you immediately. I'm aware that Mal-badges has just been re-launched again and a lot of things are still being considered. But at least I'm hoping that changing the levels for the xp & amount of the five badges I mentioned above would be taken into consideration. After more than 3 years, it just doesn't sit right with me that these five badges are not the same with each other. D:

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Hey,

If you take a look at the google doc I’ve linked in my suggestion post, you can see how we’ll be giving out points to just about all the badges. There will be more levels and more points per level, which would allow us to go to higher levels for the main badge. We’ll be ensuring that there will be more badge levels to take into account the size of the DB and the future growth in size (including manga in the future)

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Dec 14, 2022 5:37 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
_cjessop19_ said:
Hey,

If you take a look at the google doc I’ve linked in my suggestion post, you can see how we’ll be giving out points to just about all the badges. There will be more levels and more points per level, which would allow us to go to higher levels for the main badge. We’ll be ensuring that there will be more badge levels to take into account the size of the DB and the future growth in size (including manga in the future)

I beg your pardon but where can I find the google doc that you've linked? ^_^; Is it here?

More levels, more points for level, and an even higher badge. So we'll be going beyond from the original level 30. Highest badge level is 50 from what I've seen in your post and that sounds really exciting.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming updates that you'll all implement for MAL-badges in the future. :) I believe MAL-badges is in good hands.
Dec 14, 2022 5:45 AM

Nov 2018
LunyRem said:
_cjessop19_ said:
Hey,

I beg your pardon but where can I find the google doc that you've linked? ^_^; Is it here?

More levels, more points for level, and an even higher badge. So we'll be going beyond from the original level 30. Highest badge level is 50 from what I've seen in your post and that sounds really exciting.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming updates that you'll all implement for MAL-badges in the future. :) I believe MAL-badges is in good hands.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KIT0KaceKrY6AgR0m8rC2O_4ObqT4UDq3lP5Y4ZXGmY/edit

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Dec 14, 2022 6:52 AM

Nov 2017
Is that possible to change episode counts for these two badges?

Medium anime fan badge: 13-24 episodes --> 12-24
Short anime fan badge: 1-12 episodes --> 1-11

Most of the anime series are splitted to two 12 episode "cours" in nowadays and MAL makes new pages for every cour, so it's rather annoying when so many new 24 episode shows get listed to short animes badge and not for the medium animes like they used to be.
AstaloDec 14, 2022 6:56 AM
Dec 14, 2022 10:34 AM

Aug 2018
Maybe director badges for well known directors?
_______I like rocks__
Dec 14, 2022 11:40 AM

Oct 2015
I know this doesn't bother so many people but.. could you consider bringing back the old "exclusive" badges? I know it is a silly request, but there were a few anime I suffered watching only for the badge, and I don't want it to go to waste lol.
Dec 14, 2022 1:57 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Personally, I do not see the point of some of the new unique anime badges for really popular shounens. While the old site had a few odd picks, stuff like Pingu or Nami (RIP) encouraged people to discover eccentricates in the database. I understand if you want to introduce some badges to encourage people to check out some highly significant/popular works, but do we really need one for ReZero, Overlord, and NGNL? You could easily start creating badges for everything, so I think there should be some criteria for what you choose. (influence, bizarre hilarities, relevance in community, ect.)

Also, you may want to review a couple of these titles to make sure they aren't already names of things in the database (e.g.100% is set for Mob Psycho, but that's also the name of an OVA: https://myanimelist.net/anime/7374/100)
Dec 14, 2022 3:30 PM

Nov 2017
I was thinking why there was zero in some of my badges, but then I noticed that MAL has no anime genres/themes like Dementia, Thriller, Police, Demons, Magic and Cars anymore.

Dementia genre is turned to Avant Garde, Police theme to Detective, Magic theme to Mahou Shoujo, Thriller genre to Suspense and Cars theme to Racing.

I don't know what happened to Demons theme. That kind of animes are maybe moved under mythology theme or something like that.
Dec 14, 2022 4:07 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
@_cjessop19_ I've just checked the google docs spreadsheet, and...wow... This is sick. MAL-Badges 2.0 goes waaaayy beyond than the original MAL-Badges before. Considering the entire size of the MAL database for both anime and manga, it's definitely impossible in the span of a single lifetime to reach the higher levels such as Badge level 50, and you're even willing to go for a possible Badge level 100. I don't know about the cheaters who could make fraudulent lists....

I'm looking forward to the release of MAL-badges for manga. Just from what I've seen so far from the spreadsheet for the planned future projects, just wow. This is sick, lol.

Thank you for sharing it!
Dec 14, 2022 9:14 PM

Nov 2018
Kwanthemaster said:
Personally, I do not see the point of some of the new unique anime badges for really popular shounens. While the old site had a few odd picks, stuff like Pingu or Nami (RIP) encouraged people to discover eccentricates in the database. I understand if you want to introduce some badges to encourage people to check out some highly significant/popular works, but do we really need one for ReZero, Overlord, and NGNL? You could easily start creating badges for everything, so I think there should be some criteria for what you choose. (influence, bizarre hilarities, relevance in community, ect.)

Also, you may want to review a couple of these titles to make sure they aren't already names of things in the database (e.g.100% is set for Mob Psycho, but that's also the name of an OVA: https://myanimelist.net/anime/7374/100)

They’ll be removed once Koito gets around to it. They were added when the site was shut down and moved to a different site. We might run a public contest to submit new challenge badges when all the badges get added and points are updated.
Astalo said:
I was thinking why there was zero in some of my badges, but then I noticed that MAL has no anime genres/themes like Dementia, Thriller, Police, Demons, Magic and Cars anymore.

Dementia genre is turned to Avant Garde, Police theme to Detective, Magic theme to Mahou Shoujo, Thriller genre to Suspense and Cars theme to Racing.

I don't know what happened to Demons theme. That kind of animes are maybe moved under mythology theme or something like that.

The old system never added the new genres and themes. You can see in the main post that this is in consideration and will be fixed at a later date. It’ll just take time due to how many there are that’ll also need updating

Dec 15, 2022 12:57 AM
Veterinarian

Dec 2018
So, there are 1980-2022 badges. Why not go with just 1970s instead of 1970-1979? Same with 1960s and backwards.
Dec 15, 2022 1:24 AM

Nov 2018
DarkEmperor69 said:
So, there are 1980-2022 badges. Why not go with just 1970s instead of 1970-1979? Same with 1960s and backwards.

We'll be adding badges for all the years that are available before 1980

Dec 15, 2022 7:44 PM

Jun 2016
Could there be badges for completing anime from influential people? The more influential the people, the more point it gives for example Osamu Tezuka is one person who hekped anime take off.
Also from popular studios for example completing studio from Toei because they're one of the oldest studios that pump out anime.
Dec 15, 2022 8:24 PM

Nov 2018
Usagi-san-chan said:
Could there be badges for completing anime from influential people? The more influential the people, the more point it gives for example Osamu Tezuka is one person who hekped anime take off.
Also from popular studios for example completing studio from Toei because they're one of the oldest studios that pump out anime.

We could do an “XYZ person variety” badge if Koito can work out the code for such a badge

Dec 16, 2022 11:09 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
A very small request, but please preserve the capitalization from a person's MAL profile (e.g. https://www.mal-badges.com/users/kwanthemaster should be capitalized).
Dec 23, 2022 3:29 AM

Sep 2014
Currently for 2019-2022, we need to see 100 anime to finish the badge, right? Which is good, because there are a lot of anime coming out these days. But that's what I'm thinking, shouldn't we reduce the amount required for the 1980 - 1990 badges? Because it's very hard to do, a lot of anime from those years are very long, sometimes low quality and not for everyone. Currently it's 50, so why not change it to 30?

The second thing is "Chinese anime" - donghua, nowadays there are more and more animations from that country, and more and more people are watching it. So it would be nice to see a badge referring specifically to donghua. Only I don't know if it's possible, because there's still no separate category for this animation on myanimelist, even though they're adding donghua to the site.

Dec 23, 2022 4:06 AM

Nov 2018
Nevelin said:
shouldn't we reduce the amount required for the 1980 - 1990 badges?

We'll be setting the max lvl the same for all available years. Even if you complete all the anime in a year, there will always be new anime being discovered and added to the DB. If you can only get maybe the first 4 lvls of a year badge, then that's all you can get, even if you're partway to the next level. We're almost there to getting 1000 anime in a year, so we're making sure the yearly badge covers that and more.

Donghuas are counted under ONAs

Dec 23, 2022 9:33 PM

Apr 2013
Honestly, I gotta agree with Nevelin that ~50 is a good cap-off for older years up until about 2000 or so. Should more older anime be uncovered and added to the database, and that there's enough for more points for those badges, they can be updated to reflect that. Otherwise, there needs to be reasonable cap-offs. Even the original host did that for stuff like josei, yaoi and yuri, and thriller where they had notably lower rank cap-offs simply because there were less titles listed for those badges. Think thriller or another genre actually got an additional rank after a few years.

I get it it's to boost the XP for the later badge levels (of which no one should realistically get anywhere near them), but that's what adding new badges are for. Or hell, some of the existing series badges could get additional ranks added to them for those with multiple seasons like the Magi, Mob Psycho 100, and Haikyuu badges.
Dec 23, 2022 11:52 PM

Mar 2018
Lil-Bird said:
Honestly, I gotta agree with Nevelin that ~50 is a good cap-off for older years up until about 2000 or so. Should more older anime be uncovered and added to the database, and that there's enough for more points for those badges, they can be updated to reflect that. Otherwise, there needs to be reasonable cap-offs. Even the original host did that for stuff like josei, yaoi and yuri, and thriller where they had notably lower rank cap-offs simply because there were less titles listed for those badges. Think thriller or another genre actually got an additional rank after a few years.

I get it it's to boost the XP for the later badge levels (of which no one should realistically get anywhere near them), but that's what adding new badges are for. Or hell, some of the existing series badges could get additional ranks added to them for those with multiple seasons like the Magi, Mob Psycho 100, and Haikyuu badges.
I agree with this reasoning so they will be looked at and indeed have a better cap. When a year has 53 shows, it's better to have that as a cap including it's just better to look at it that you got a full badge when completing those shows instead of seeing 5/6 Badge levels and the cap is being 60 or 100 because that year cannot even reach that amount for now.

As for all other suggestions without sending a notif; I will check them after the Christmas period. Currently re-designing the place as that is / was needed due to useless empty space.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Dec 23, 2022 11:59 PM

Nov 2018
Koito91 said:
Lil-Bird said:

I agree with this reasoning so they will be looked at and indeed have a better cap. When a year has 53 shows, it's better to have that as a cap including it's just better to look at it that you got a full badge when completing those shows instead of seeing 5/6 Badge levels and the cap is being 60 or 100 because that year cannot even reach that amount for now.

As for all other suggestions without sending a notif; I will check them after the Christmas period. Currently re-designing the place as that is / was needed due to useless empty space.

We can gauge what level badge each year should be capped at once we release all the yearly badges. We can tell by the largest number of anime completed in the year in the badge ranking section. Plus we can micromanage and manually adjust the badge if the max number passes a certain threshold.

Dec 24, 2022 1:17 PM
Raw Gamer

Apr 2016
I think @_cjessop19_ mentioned something like this briefly in the original spreadsheet, but something I would personally love to see is the border of your main badge change upon level up, in a similar way to games like Overwatch or Halo MCC. I don't know how well this would work with the way that the main badges are currently planned to work and how they are going to be capped at 50 for now, but it's just an idea I had. In these games the border change gives a huge dopamine hit and the current badge designs do seem a little bland to me being just a color with 1-5 stars.
Jan 2, 2023 10:14 AM
Feb 2021
Hot take, maybe not really, but the dropper achievement is bad and shouldn't give 1500xp 
Jan 2, 2023 12:17 PM

Nov 2018
animenok said:
Hot take, maybe not really, but the dropper achievement is bad and shouldn't give 1500xp 
The badge is entirely optional, even for the completionists

Jan 2, 2023 12:32 PM
Feb 2021
_cjessop19_ said:
animenok said:
How so? I mean it shows up in your uncompleted section, there is no opposite achievement i.e for not dropping anything, and it has the same weight as a genre achievement. Optional yes totally agree but not for a completionist. I don't see a point in giving a badge/xp for not watching something. 
Jan 2, 2023 3:47 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
animenok said:
I support this. I don't mind the badge remaining to see at who has dropped the most, but it shouldn't award any XP.
Jan 2, 2023 3:56 PM

Jun 2020
animenok said:
I agree with this. There are plenty of people who don't actually drop anime, but use their drop list for other things, so the badge rankings wouldn't be entirely accurate, and yeah, it doesn't make a ton of sense to reward not watching anime in a system that rewards you for watching anime.
I reside wherever the Zettai Ryouiki may lie.
Jan 2, 2023 5:33 PM

Nov 2018
animenok said:
_cjessop19_ said:
How so? I mean it shows up in your uncompleted section, there is no opposite achievement i.e for not dropping anything, and it has the same weight as a genre achievement. Optional yes totally agree but not for a completionist. I don't see a point in giving a badge/xp for not watching something. 
Kwanthemaster said:
I support this. I don't mind the badge remaining to see at who has dropped the most, but it shouldn't award any XP.
Poitle said:
I agree with this. There are plenty of people who don't actually drop anime, but use their drop list for other things, so the badge rankings wouldn't be entirely accurate, and yeah, it doesn't make a ton of sense to reward not watching anime in a system that rewards you for watching anime.

Would it please everybody if the dropper badge had only 1 level that rewards 100 xp for 1 entry? That way we can see who tops the chart for most series dropped

Jan 2, 2023 7:38 PM
Feb 2021
_cjessop19_ said:

Would it please everybody if the dropper badge had only 1 level that rewards 100 xp for 1 entry? That way we can see who tops the chart for most series dropped
This sounds a lot better i think, obvious ideally we don't give any xp but if xp is a requirement to count as a badge then this isnt a bad solution at all, possibly have it at just 50xp which as far as i'm aware is the lowest on the site, alternatively you could just have the badge give zero xp i don't think that would break code or anything basically you get the badge but no real gain for it??

Again, this isnt my strong suit but ideally i would suggest it to work like that, however if xp is required the above solution is fine, maybe have this paired with a no anime dropped badge of equal xp so you cover both those who drop anime and those who don't. I know personally i would have those who stick it out rewarded a bit more, but that is more my bias than anything else so I think just having an even badge for either side would be a good idea.
Jan 3, 2023 12:12 AM

Nov 2018
animenok said:
_cjessop19_ said:

This sounds a lot better i think, obvious ideally we don't give any xp but if xp is a requirement to count as a badge then this isnt a bad solution at all, possibly have it at just 50xp which as far as i'm aware is the lowest on the site, alternatively you could just have the badge give zero xp i don't think that would break code or anything basically you get the badge but no real gain for it??

Again, this isnt my strong suit but ideally i would suggest it to work like that, however if xp is required the above solution is fine, maybe have this paired with a no anime dropped badge of equal xp so you cover both those who drop anime and those who don't. I know personally i would have those who stick it out rewarded a bit more, but that is more my bias than anything else so I think just having an even badge for either side would be a good idea.

How about we add a badge that is the opposite of dropper, a badge called Completionist, you get 1000 xp compared to 100 xp from the dropper badge, and you basically have to choose between having dropped anime in your list or not? The badge would be set to dropped anime count = 0

The extra xp for a system based on completing anime?

Jan 3, 2023 5:40 AM
Feb 2021
_cjessop19_ said:
How about we add a badge that is the opposite of dropper, a badge called Completionist, you get 1000 xp compared to 100 xp from the dropper badge, and you basically have to choose between having dropped anime in your list or not? The badge would be set to dropped anime count = 0

I mean this sounds fine to me, but i guess you might want more than just my approval
Jan 3, 2023 2:55 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
_cjessop19_ said:
animenok said:

I am against this too, since I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with choosing to put things on your dropped list, just that it shouldn't be rewarded with XP. Essentially, I think points should go towards the amount and variety of what you complete and not really look at the watching/on hold/dropped/PTW (other than for the total episodes viewed).
Jan 5, 2023 7:40 AM
Feb 2021
Kwanthemaster said:
_cjessop19_ said:

I am against this too, since I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with choosing to put things on your dropped list, just that it shouldn't be rewarded with XP. Essentially, I think points should go towards the amount and variety of what you complete and not really look at the watching/on hold/dropped/PTW (other than for the total episodes viewed).
I mean i agree with this, not to look at malgraph/anime.graph but their no drop badge requires a particular amount of anime watched without dropping, so maybe something like that would be more desirable. That being said, I would agree with having the whole dropper/no drop just be something to look at for stats as opposed to giving XP and just exisiting for information. I know a few people who use the dropped tag for collation purposes especially for lost media or for very hard to find anime which generally only exist in physical form. 

Which is a segue to a rather different suggestion which is that I would definitely have a look at some of the year based achievements and re-work the requirements, especially with regard to the older 80's anime, many are either unobtainable outside of physical media and others are lost media, so getting to 50 especially on those can be basically impossible without either being around for it, owning it on physical media or lying. Again, lost media can be found and it does happen, but it does have the effect of making some achievements closer to impossible. Know this may be a goal to have certain badges to be a struggle but I think you'd be better making the difficulty in getting badges be within a viewers control as opposed to being something of ones control such as the actually availability of it. Just because its on MAL doesnt mean you'll be able to find it, a good example is the Ghibli short which you can only view at the museum, as well as the Toriko special that aired at Super Jump Anime Tour in 2010, unless you were there no one is watching it, mainly because it was made as ufotable moved ownership of Toriko to Toei so ufotable doesn't have rights to release it anywhere and Toei can't really either because its a Ufotable production, so its literally in a weird catch 22 where its probably never going to see the light of day. Long example but hopefully you get the gist xD
Jan 7, 2023 9:30 AM

Mar 2020
Astalo said:

Short anime fan  badge: 1-12 episodes --> 1-11

Most of the anime series are splitted to two 12 episode "cours" in nowadays and MAL makes new pages for every cour, so it's rather annoying when so many new 24 episode shows get listed to short animes badge and not for the medium animes like they used to be.
I understand your point, however, I have a different suggestion.

If the "Rookie Episode Fan" (short anime fan) badge changes to 1-11 episodes like you said, each series with only 12 or 13 episodes will count toward the "Champion Episode Fan" (medium anime fan) badge. That would seem strange to me because this way; TV series that I consider short would count as medium TV series.

I think a short TV series should have 12/14 episodes. An example would be Ascendance of a Bookworm, which has 14 episodes. Although that would be the exception to the rule, I have seen TV series with 13 episodes, like Fate/Zero. This way, these series would count towards the "Rookie Episode Fan" badge instead of the "Champion Episode Fan" badge.

I also think that a medium TV series should be one with 24/26 episodes. One example would be Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, which has 26 episodes. Thus, series with this amount of episodes would count toward the "Champion Episode Fan" badge instead of the "Ultimate Episode Fan" badge.

Therefore, summarizing what I have said before, I think that the mentioned badges should be as follows:

Rookie Episode Fan ------> 1-14 episodes
Champion Episode Fan --> 15-26 episodes
Ultimate Episode Fan -----> 27-100 episodes

Said all of that, I am open to more suggestions.

“In general, men prefer to let their actions speak instead of words. When they’re in pain, they don’t want to burden anyone with it, not if they can help it. They don’t want anyone to worry about them. That’s how they are. Even so, there may come a time when they’ll ask for your help. And when they do, I know that you’ll be there for them. Isn’t that enough?”

     — Maes Hughes
Jan 7, 2023 8:41 PM
Feb 2021
Kreidirk said:

Therefore, summarizing what I have said before, I think that the mentioned badges should be as follows:

Maybe having a specific short anime badge might help, i.e. 1-10 episodes or something, so you have clear shorts, then the clear average anime 11-14, and so on. 

Jan 8, 2023 7:31 AM

Apr 2013
animenok said:
Kreidirk said:

Maybe having a specific short anime badge might help, i.e. 1-10 episodes or something, so you have clear shorts, then the clear average anime 11-14, and so on. 

To keep with the unintentional-Digimon theming of the episode badges, the 1-10 episodes should be labeled "In-Training".
Jan 10, 2023 7:35 PM

Apr 2019
Bug reports:

1. Years not working for those with > 50 items
I've just completed my 30th 2022 show and it didn't raise my score, i.e. 250 points were not added.

2. Tag count in the backend different from anime.plus
The count for shows with "space" tag is almost 10% different from anime+'s for me, both services should come to the same result.

In general, how about putting the project in an environment more suited for software development and contributuons than MAL itself, such as github. I'm a professional software engineer and probably would have provided a fix (pull request) for 1. and 2. in the same time I write a forum posting. Also feature discussion, bug fixes / spotting and 3rd party contributions are much faster on github. How about?

Jan 10, 2023 7:42 PM

Apr 2019
Astalo said:

Short anime fan badge: 1-12 episodes --> 1-11

I think the best ranges are based on the cours. One cour usually is 11-13 episodes, and this can easily be reflected in the badges. Why not even refer to "cours" as a metric?

Short: 1-8 eps
1 cour: 8-13 eps
2 cour: 14-26 eps
3 cour: 27-40 eps
4 cour: 41-52 eps
Long: whatever one pleases, either contrinue with the x+13 pattern, or set arbitrary lines such as 75 and 100

What matters to me is that shows of the same cour duration do not end up in different categries, because this is pretty unfair and distorting. E.g. often shows for commercial reasons pick 12+1 format, where the 1 is a 13th episode but sold separately for extra OVA cash. The parent shows of 12 and 13 eps TV length are really the same thing for all practical purposes.

Jan 10, 2023 8:20 PM

Nov 2018
inim said:
Short: 1-8 eps
1 cour: 8-13 eps
2 cour: 14-26 eps
3 cour: 27-40 eps
4 cour: 41-52 eps
Long: whatever one pleases, either contrinue with the x+13 pattern, or set arbitrary lines such as 75 and 100

I like that idea, much more fitting imo.

I think we should name the 4 cour badge: Par 4 The Cour

@Koito91

Jan 10, 2023 9:44 PM

Nov 2017
Good idea. It's looking more rational than previous system. I also like that if there will be badge for real anime shorts and they don't go to "1 cour" badge.

That "Rookie Episode Badge" is now very bloated, because too much different stuff go to that 1-12 space.
Jan 11, 2023 7:13 AM

Nov 2018
What do you guys think about redesigning how the badge levels are displayed?

This is what I've come up

Maybe when you select which colour badges you're looking at, the small badge up top can also light up?
_cjessop19_Jan 11, 2023 7:17 AM

Jan 11, 2023 8:46 AM
Feb 2021
@_cjessop19_ So is this for the levels section so you can see what the different levels are etc? 

If so it sounds fine, I think if you do plan on changing the general design of Mal badges theres a few things you could do, I've always thought that mal badges design was rather lack lustre and although the dark mode does help a fair bit and the new changes are night and day to the previous design it just isnt a very appealing site, I think this is a step in the right direction but maybe also think about what you might do to keep that theme consistent with the other pages such as the ranking, individual badges etc. Given you are considering a more horizontal approach for this particular page it may be a bit weird to go from that to the other pages and have no consistency. 

On the general point of aesthetic changes I think that actually having the different badge achievements actually looking like badges rather than just rectangles with a completion bar might be a nice touch, obviously due to limitations jikan didnt really want to put the time into making MAL badges an aesthetically pleasing site, but if you do get the opportunity i.e once you've added all the technical changes you have been planning, working on that visuals of the site would be cool. 

I think the aesthetics of mal badges could be an entire discussion on its own, but its probably better to get all the technical aspects finished beforehand. 

Question: When looking at the badges section would it start at the lowest and make you swipe to move to the highest, or would it depend on your own current badge level? i.e. if you are say green 5 (lv25) it starts you off there? 
I think either would be fine, but it would be cool to go to that section and see where you are initially instead of having to scroll back and forth. Would also be a useful feature for the ranking page as well maybe if you want to go directly to where your rank is. 

Edit: Another thing that could use this concept you've designed could be the my badges section where it shows your badge lvl and you can swipe back to see which you have passed and swipe forwards for which you are yet to obtain kinda like unlocking acheivements etc. that kinda vibe anyway
Jan 12, 2023 6:01 PM

Nov 2018
animenok said:
I think that actually having the different badge achievements actually looking like badges rather than just rectangles with a completion bar might be a nice touch,

I recommended the suggestion of doing a red to green progress bar within each rectangle badge to indicate progress. So the more you progress in a badge towards the next level, the more it shifts to green as the bar within it moves from left to right. And I also suggested that once you reach the cap level of a badge, we make it golden and shiny. Imagine how you would max out a skill or stat within an idle/incremental game.

We can worry about the looks of specific things after everything is done.

animenok said:
Question: When looking at the badges section would it start at the lowest and make you swipe to move to the highest, or would it depend on your own current badge level? i.e. if you are say green 5 (lv25) it starts you off there?

We’ll try to make it so that it starts off in the median range of all users, so in the 50% percentile.

Jan 13, 2023 3:46 PM

Apr 2019
Why don't we restore a maintainable (github) and bug free version first? Unfinished changes on all fronts leave an instable system in no time. The top priority should be a 1:1 version of what we had, and then we can do feature sprints. Speaking with my engineer hat on, I see almost every software engineering mistake in the book being made currently, such as creeping featurism, starting features on top of unfinished work, lack of maintainability and single point of failure and so on.

A reasonable priority list could be:
1. Fix existing bugs for years
2. Fix existing bugs with no longer existing (e.g. Demons) or missing genres and themes
3. Discuss changes in the scoring system, such as capping # anime at 10000 and make it more just. I don't get it why watching a particular 12 eps show gives as much rating as watching dozens of shows elsewhere.
4. Full coverage and concept for the new themes (rating value, maintainance on change etc.)
5. Restoring the pre-existing "particular watches" as a neutral basis for discussing changes
6. Fix the backend and caching, whilenot user-visible those always were a problem in the old version
7. Debug and fix the discrepancies in count, e.g. Space tag is 10% off the count of anime+. Probably a backend issue.
8. Hosting

That would yield something very similar to the old version. Then we should pick one feature at a time, discuss and implement. Random changes which are left at 80% finished will ruin the code base in no time, lead to frustration and ultimately people leaving. It would help if we have a clear focus, and I can only give my own here. mal-badges to me isa system for grinding which gives slots to fill, e.g. years, themes, genres, media types and so on. The site was always neutral about the content one uses to fill the slots, compared to MAL Challenges or anime+ it was the most "mechanical" and simplest. I really don't want to grow it into a clone of MAL challenges, and frankly I think @_cjessop19_ underestimates the engineering difficulties and skill level available to the project. The front end design is not important, a working crawler and rating assignment is top priority, and both do not work properly.
inimJan 13, 2023 4:42 PM

Jan 13, 2023 8:49 PM
Feb 2021
@inim I would have to say I agree, working on already exisiting issues and just the site function as it has done in the past should be the top priority, as i said aesthetics are nice and all but only really should be discussed when we know everything else is working as it should, I wouldn't go as far as to say that front end is not important but i would say its not an immediate priority. 

Fyi @_cjessop19_ there are currently four tag badges which are showing clear issues, the Magic fan (which is only just fully complete-able), Car fan (which no users has gotten past the first hurdle), Demon fan which the second hurdle is acheive-able, and finally, Police Fan which only has one user past the third hurdle. 

The other tags may have similar issues (I think inim said that space had issues as well) but I think the general over-arching issue is as inim said is that we need a working crawler/genre assigner as the current one seems have myriad issues. 

Maybe take this time to work on the issues raised by the club members over the last few weeks, i.e. working crawler etc, fixes to over use of particular anime badges, changes to dropped anime/ completionist badges, adding manga badges etc (I know there is more but those were the ones that came to mind)

Jan 16, 2023 5:24 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Greetings. I was once again observing the contents of the Google doc that @_cjessop19_ has posted a month ago. Taken from here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KIT0KaceKrY6AgR0m8rC2O_4ObqT4UDq3lP5Y4ZXGmY/edit#gid=2069397625

I like most of the newly proposed upcoming badges and levels, but the levels for the Entry types doesn't sit right with me. I'm talking about the badges for TV Fan, Movie Fan, Special Fan, ONA Fan, OVA Fan & Music Fan.

If you'd observe the amount for the Entries needed for completion, some of the gaps between the requirements seem to be over the top. Just look at the gap between level 14 and level 15.

Lv 14 - 2500
Lv 15 - 5000

Look at that. The gap for the next level is double the amount, which IMHO is irrational and completely unnecessary. No offense.

For example, applying this to, let's say, TV Fan: If someone (legendary) happens to have completed 2500 TV anime, the next amount to reach next level is 5000 TV anime, wouldn't that be.....absolutely impossible for a normal human being's lifetime? Even I checked the anime list of the user who's well known in MAL to have one of the largest completed anime list in this website (spacecowboy) and, according to his Completed list, he has a total of 4697 Completed TV anime at the time of this post. Watching countless anime for decades, even he is still far away from reaching 5000 TV anime which is what's proposed in that Google doc.

Please, I strongly suggest that the gaps for the requirements be toned down. If that would be the same data which will be applied to each of these 6 entry type badges, then I believe I won't be the only user who would voice out their opinion regarding the impossible requirements. It can still be hardcapped at level 20 if you want along with the points given, but that absurd max requirement of 30000 is something that I just strongly disagree with, sorry.

I'd like to propose a new list of entries but applying a few changes with the points acquired, because I also noticed that some of the higher levels have a smaller difference in amount compared with the levels preceding it. Example, the point difference between 11 & 12 is 15000 (40000 - 25000) while the point difference between 12 & 13 is 10000 (50000 - 40000). Huh, how come? ^_^;

Without further ado, this is my own proposal for the future of the 6 badges for entry types:

I hope you would take this into consideration too, @Koito91 , pls? ^_^;

This could also be applied for the entry types for Manga, but I don't think manga badges will be applied anytime soon. Besides, I'm too tired typing all my explanations tonight for this particular long walls of text. ^_^;
Jan 16, 2023 5:31 AM

Nov 2018
LunyRem said:
Greetings. I was once again observing the contents of the Google doc that @_cjessop19_ has posted a month ago. Taken from here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KIT0KaceKrY6AgR0m8rC2O_4ObqT4UDq3lP5Y4ZXGmY/edit#gid=2069397625

I like most of the newly proposed upcoming badges and levels, but the levels for the Entry types doesn't sit right with me. I'm talking about the badges for TV Fan, Movie Fan, Special Fan, ONA Fan, OVA Fan & Music Fan.

If you'd observe the amount for the Entries needed for completion, some of the gaps between the requirements seem to be over the top. Just look at the gap between level 14 and level 15.

Lv 14 - 2500
Lv 15 - 5000

Look at that. The gap for the next level is double the amount, which IMHO is irrational and completely unnecessary. No offense.

For example, applying this to, let's say, TV Fan: If someone (legendary) happens to have completed 2500 TV anime, the next amount to reach next level is 5000 TV anime, wouldn't that be.....absolutely impossible for a normal human being's lifetime? Even I checked the anime list of the user who's well known in MAL to have one of the largest completed anime list in this website (spacecowboy) and, according to his Completed list, he has a total of 4697 Completed TV anime at the time of this post. Watching countless anime for decades, even he is still far away from reaching 5000 TV anime which is what's proposed in that Google doc.

Please, I strongly suggest that the gaps for the requirements be toned down. If that would be the same data which will be applied to each of these 6 entry type badges, then I believe I won't be the only user who would voice out their opinion regarding the impossible requirements. It can still be hardcapped at level 20 if you want along with the points given, but that absurd max requirement of 30000 is something that I just strongly disagree with, sorry.

I'd like to propose a new list of entries but applying a few changes with the points acquired, because I also noticed that some of the higher levels have a smaller difference in amount compared with the levels preceding it. Example, the point difference between 11 & 12 is 15000 (40000 - 25000) while the point difference between 12 & 13 is 10000 (50000 - 40000). Huh, how come? ^_^;

Without further ado, this is my own proposal for the future of the 6 badges for entry types:

I hope you would take this into consideration too, @Koito91 , pls? ^_^;

This could also be applied for the entry types for Manga, but I don't think manga badges will be applied anytime soon. Besides, I'm too tired typing all my explanations tonight for this particular long walls of text. ^_^;

I was planning on changing these tables for the entry types (similar to yours), but I just need to find the exact amount of entries for each type as you can't really look them up. I still have a few tables left to add to the spreadsheet as well. So what's currently on there isn't entirely concrete atm

Jan 16, 2023 5:42 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
@_cjessop19_ It's fine, thank you. For this table of levels that I proposed, I just realized that it might not be entirely concrete for all entry types, as I just looked this up only considering the TV Fan badge.

I currently have no idea how many total entries there are for OVAs, Movies, Specials, ONAs, and Music types in the anime database.

Like, for example, there could be around 3500 anime movie entries available that have finished airing in the MAL database? So Movie Fan badge might be hardcapped at level 17 with 3500 as its max value.
Jan 16, 2023 5:48 AM

Nov 2018
Okay, using AWCc's website, I can estimate that there are roughly these amounts in the DB (to the nearest 50) based off the percentages from my list:

TV: 7300
Movie: 4150
OVA: 4000
Special: 2500
ONA: 3200
Music: 2350

Roughly adding up to 23,500, which is very close to what the value is in the end of 2022 announcement post.

@Koito91 Use this image below for the levels for each entry type

@LunyRem is this more suitable?
_cjessop19_Jan 16, 2023 5:51 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Support ( 1 2 3 4 )

Koito91 - Dec 9, 2022

188 by YuraItsuki »»
Apr 19, 7:23 AM

Sticky: » [Mar 3] Current Status

Koito91 - Feb 21

0 by Koito91 »»
Feb 21, 11:04 PM

» Lost/Inaccessible Media taskforce

_cjessop19_ - Jul 18, 2023

18 by IridescentJaune »»
Jul 29, 2023 9:45 PM

» Badges for specific shows considered harmful

inim - Dec 25, 2022

4 by Zevven »»
Jul 8, 2023 2:58 AM

» [REMOVED] MB homepage logo taskforce

_cjessop19_ - Mar 6, 2023

32 by Kreidirk »»
Jun 16, 2023 4:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.