Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 6, 2023 5:00 AM

Nov 2018
I guess this isn’t needed anymore.
_cjessop19_Mar 2, 5:17 PM
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 6, 2023 12:58 PM

Mar 2020
I have tried with the Bronze 1, Silver 3 and Gold 5 badge set. However, the result is far from meeting quality standards. I used the picture from the beginning of the post and edited it.

The main problem is the shadows of the stars, specially on the Silver badge. When applying the "grey" color to the Silver badge using the bucket tool, Photoshop seems to ignore the different shades of grey of the badge. You'll understand better what I mean when you see the edited logo. In addition, traces of the original color of the badges can also be seen.

You cand find here the MAL-Badges edited logo. Let me know what I did wrong.
KreidirkMar 7, 2023 11:08 AM

“In general, men prefer to let their actions speak instead of words. When they’re in pain, they don’t want to burden anyone with it, not if they can help it. They don’t want anyone to worry about them. That’s how they are. Even so, there may come a time when they’ll ask for your help. And when they do, I know that you’ll be there for them. Isn’t that enough?”

     — Maes Hughes
Mar 8, 2023 1:27 AM

Nov 2018
Kreidirk said:
Let me know what I did wrong.

With the bronze badges, see if you can make the lines between the two different shades less prominent.

Is it me or are the shades of brown slightly different between the two badges?

You missed a couple of spots in the silver badges.

With the issue of the bucket, you need to turn down its tolerance value up top.
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
Mar 8, 2023 11:22 AM

Mar 2020
_cjessop19_ said:
Is it me or are the shades of brown slightly different between the two badges?

Yeah, I didn't realize it until you said it. However, it could be an optical illusion as i used the same color tones for both badges.

Thank you for your advices. I just wanted to fix the mistakes from the first attempt before moving on to the rest of the set.

“In general, men prefer to let their actions speak instead of words. When they’re in pain, they don’t want to burden anyone with it, not if they can help it. They don’t want anyone to worry about them. That’s how they are. Even so, there may come a time when they’ll ask for your help. And when they do, I know that you’ll be there for them. Isn’t that enough?”

     — Maes Hughes
Mar 10, 2023 5:04 PM

Nov 2018
@Kreidirk I've updated the post to make things much more easier, please read before you make any new images.
Mar 11, 2023 8:27 AM

Mar 2020
_cjessop19_ said:
I've updated the post to make things much more easier, please read before you make any new images.

I've checked it. I also think that with these changes, the job should be easier.

     — Maes Hughes
Mar 31, 2023 8:50 AM

Mar 2020
Hello @_cjessop19_. Should I continue making variations of the 5 badges logo?
I saw that Koito91 said in the club comments that you can use GPT-4 to revamp the badges.

     — Maes Hughes
Mar 31, 2023 3:41 PM

Nov 2018
Kreidirk said:
Hello @_cjessop19_. Should I continue making variations of the 5 badges logo?
I saw that Koito91 said in the club comments that you can use GPT-4 to revamp the badges.

That’s for the other 100+ badges, we need to make all the images by ourselves, so keep on making them
May 14, 2023 3:21 AM

Mar 2020
@_cjessop19_, what do you think if I post the guidelines that I use to make the variations of the logo? Maybe so more people decide to help us with this.

     — Maes Hughes
May 14, 2023 6:45 AM

Nov 2018
Kreidirk said:
@_cjessop19_, what do you think if I post the guidelines that I use to make the variations of the logo? Maybe so more people decide to help us with this.

Go ahead. If we get a small team to do help us, then that would help us a lot.

A concern that was raised to me that the homepage would take >50 kB to load each time and would be a waste to mobile users. But it's the same for all the images regardless of just using the original logo, right? So it would make no difference to the bandwidth usage of mobile users, unless we manage to magically reduce the file sizes of all the logos
Jun 5, 2023 2:27 PM

Jul 2019
hey I think at the end of this month I will have more free time and I would like to help
I've never used photoshop but I have Gimp, it should work just fine
Jun 7, 2023 8:18 AM

Jul 2019
Kreidirk said:
Yeah @_cjessop19_. I have checked the file sizes of the images I've made so far and almost all of them are slightly over 50 kB. Also, the smallest one is 49.4 kB. So, I also think it will be difficult to reduce the size of the logos. The only thing I can think of to reduce the size of the images is to convert the logos to another format that supports transparency and see if the size is reduced or not.

These are the guidelines I use. You can include them in the top comment so anyone can find them quickly.

1. First step: Resizing the badges.
    Open the badges that you'll need in PhotoShop and resize them as follows:

• 1 star badge: 155 x 155 px
  • 3 star badge: 200 x 200 px
  • 5 star badge: 240 x 240 px

2. Second step: Alignment.
    Once you've resized the badges, open a tab with the original logo and paste the badges into this tab. After that, each badge should appear as a different layer. Then, align them as follows:

• Left 1 star badge: Top left.
  • Right 1 star badge: Top right.
  • Left 3 star badge:

• X coordinate: 82 px
    • Y coordinate: 16 px

• Right 3 star badge:

• X coordinate: 323 px
    • Y coordinate: 16 px

• 5 star badge: Bottom middle.

Finally, export the image as a PNG.

Are you doing this process for every combination?
Since you've alredy done an entire column maybe you could export the layer containing just the 3 pink star badges, for example. I mean as a png with the transparency and the size of the final logo image. Then you could use that layer for that entire row (cause the two badges are gonna have the same size and position) instead of resizing and aligning the badges every time.
You can do that for every 3 star badges and the central 5 star one cause you,ve alredy made one of each in the bronze column. So for the rest of the combinations we just have to resize and align the 1 star badges for every color and copy paste the layers in the correct order.
Jun 7, 2023 9:19 AM

Mar 2020
@is_peque, that was just a simplification of the process that I follow. I tried to explain the two main things that you need to know in order to make the logo variations.

The method that I use for each slot of the spreadsheet is the following:

1. I open the original logo, the 1 star and 3 star badges that I'll need.
2. I resize the 1 star and 3 star badges, and then I paste them on the tab with the original logo.
3. I align the 1 star and 3 star badges accordignly. And now, I work with this as base to make the 8 variations.
4. After that, I repeat the process with the 5 star badges, so I only have to alternate through the 8 different 5 star badges.

Your idea is good. However, with the method that you propose, we would make different variations for different slots of the spreadsheet.

     — Maes Hughes
Jun 7, 2023 10:02 AM

Jul 2019
@Kreidirk
I understand your method but I think you could recycle what you've alredy done. Why would they be different variations?
Jun 7, 2023 11:31 AM

Mar 2020
is_peque said:
@Kreidirk
I understand your method but I think you could recycle what you've alredy done. Why would they be different variations?
Well, I think that you taught me a lesson of how to improve my work. Thank you.

About your question, that's was my way of expressing. I think that they would be different variations because the will have different color combinations.

     — Maes Hughes
Jun 7, 2023 2:13 PM

Jul 2019
green column
https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=903325
is_pequeMar 3, 3:00 AM
Jun 7, 2023 2:50 PM

Jul 2019
pink column
Jun 7, 2023 3:29 PM

Jul 2019
red column
Jun 7, 2023 7:32 PM

Nov 2018
@is_peque great work! You’ve already knocked out a third of what needed doing. Hopefully we can push to get this done within the next couple of weeks if you’re up to the task?
Jun 7, 2023 11:35 PM

Jul 2019
_cjessop19_ said:
@is_peque great work! You’ve already knocked out a third of what needed doing. Hopefully we can push to get this done within the next couple of weeks if you’re up to the task?

I have exams until June 16th but once it's over I can get it all finished without much trouble.
Jun 8, 2023 12:22 AM

Jul 2019
orange column
is_pequeMar 3, 3:01 AM
Jun 9, 2023 11:07 AM

Mar 2020
I take my hat off to you @is_peque. You are the master of efficiency. By the way, I'll try to finish the Silver column.

     — Maes Hughes
Jun 14, 2023 11:08 AM

Jul 2019
heeey I'm back
Jun 14, 2023 11:53 AM

Jul 2019
purple column
Jun 14, 2023 12:32 PM

Jul 2019
cyan column
Jun 14, 2023 1:44 PM

Jul 2019
blue column
is_pequeMar 3, 3:02 AM
Jun 14, 2023 1:53 PM

Jul 2019
gold column
Jun 14, 2023 3:01 PM

Jul 2019
@_cjessop19_ all done, and @Kreidirk I'll finish the silver column if you don't mind
is_pequeJun 15, 2023 1:19 AM
Jun 15, 2023 1:18 AM

Jul 2019
rest of silver column
Jun 15, 2023 4:10 AM

Mar 2020
@Kreidirk I'll finish the silver column if you don't mind
I don't mind, @is_peque. To be honest, I didn't expect you to finish this so quickly because you said that you had exams. Anyway, I congratulate you for this impressive work that you have done.

     — Maes Hughes
Jun 15, 2023 6:03 AM

Jul 2019
Kreidirk said:
@Kreidirk I'll finish the silver column if you don't mind
I don't mind, @is_peque. To be honest, I didn't expect you to finish this so quickly because you said that you had exams. Anyway, I congratulate you for this impressive work that you have done.

my exams ended yesterday, that's why haha
Jun 15, 2023 6:11 AM

Nov 2018
@Kreidirk @is_peque we’ll look to have you two added to the list of contributors once we get around to implementing the varying logo feature. Hopefully you’ll get that blue tick displayed next to your name.
Jun 16, 2023 4:10 AM

Mar 2020
_cjessop19_ said:
@Kreidirk @is_peque we’ll look to have you two added to the list of contributors once we get around to implementing the varying logo feature. Hopefully you’ll get that blue tick displayed next to your name.
That sounds great!

     — Maes Hughes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Support ( 1 2 3 4 )

Koito91 - Dec 9, 2022

196 by Gintoki45 »»
Yesterday, 7:00 PM

Sticky: » Suggestions ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Koito91 - Dec 13, 2022

204 by _cjessop19_ »»
Mar 29, 2:26 AM

Sticky: » [Mar 3] Current Status

Koito91 - Feb 21

0 by Koito91 »»
Feb 21, 11:04 PM

» Lost/Inaccessible Media taskforce

_cjessop19_ - Jul 18, 2023

18 by IridescentJaune »»
Jul 29, 2023 9:45 PM

» Badges for specific shows considered harmful

inim - Dec 25, 2022

4 by Zevven »»
Jul 8, 2023 2:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.