Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2022 10:12 AM

Jul 2011
This episode animation felt very clunky.

When the Abyssal commander transformed, I just thought that became more crazy than I expected.

I was so happy to see Yamato and Kongou.

That end, if follow the lore from the movie, Yamashiro will comeback as Abyssal.
Nov 17, 2022 10:23 AM

Feb 2020
Very good and emotional episode. This is getting better and better.

Lol at Shigure's akanbe.

SerafosNov 18, 2022 7:55 AM
Nov 17, 2022 10:27 AM

Jan 2009
The animation seemed really poor. It's very difficult to believe this is 3+ years of work. The characters tween across the frame very often as if it's a power point animation. When the guns fire, if feels like the blasts has no weight whatsoever, and a generic smoke animation appears afterwards. I really liked the quality and atmosphere of episode 1 but this... I also didn't like how they chose to make the boss fight unrealistic in the end with the climbing parkour, as if this was a martial arts anime. I'm really disappointed in the animation, I've been looking forward to this anime ever since the "secret" trailer came out.

The fanservice was nice though. All the nods to the web browser and arcade game mechanics. I liked how they emphasize the blood to really set this series apart from season 1. The KC arcade like boss was a nice touch as well. I liked the night battle mechanics that was shown with the flare and such.

Episode 1 blew me away and hyped me a lot. I'm guessing with Kancolle not as popular as it was before, they couldn't afford to put more budget into the animation. Even with only 8 episodes.
Nov 17, 2022 10:50 AM

Mar 2021
Good episode so full of action cant wait for the next episode
Nov 17, 2022 11:01 AM
May 2018
Nooo, Yamashiro! :( plenty of actions in this episode with an intesification by the minute and Yamato led center force comes to the rescue! That didn't feel like 20 minutes! No idea why people call the animation lacking, this is the best animation kancolle could have, non exaggerated movements to follow the action, gone is the epileptic and incongruous action of Fate, or over-saturated use of cgi (only for big colossal abyssal), this feels more like a naval battle, really nice and smooth.
Nov 17, 2022 11:05 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Historically the Fusou class were seen as defective after all so alluding to this within the anime was a nice link. The new enemy DD's though look mean. The enemies tactics though so far have been pretty impressive. Harassment followed by multi direction attacks are high level tactics. Nachi's 2nd striking fleet made a very timely entry to the battle. But I guess it served as an excellent stage for our queen to take to the stage. Nothing like a big bad boss appearing for the shipgirls to gather i guess and man this ep sure introduced a lot of new ones. Overall very action packed but also one that notably much more more grim as we saw that despite their skill the girls can get injured and can bleed as well. Yamashiro's performance while lacking at the start at the very least got better near the end with her assault on the flagship being pretty cool. The boss itself was cool and i liked the design for her but im not too keen on her becoming a supermonster though. I wonder will we see Yamashiro again after this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2022 12:29 PM

Nov 2009
What were those interaction between with Shigure and Yukikake interaction we keep seeing throughout the 3 episodes.

Are they going to become BFF? I know they shared similar fame as 'lucky ship' IRL.
Nov 17, 2022 1:41 PM
Oct 2021
Episode was Mixed. The lip sync was a bit off and some shots looked really off and rushed. But the Music and fighting animation was unpar and the Music was great as Well but. Then there was the abyssal absorbing and shigure yeeting yamashiro i guess anime Logic on that oh Well i more than enjoyed my self
Nov 17, 2022 1:44 PM
Oct 2021
Fabrizio00 said:
Nooo, Yamashiro! :( plenty of actions in this episode with an intesification by the minute and Yamato led center force comes to the rescue! That didn't feel like 20 minutes! No idea why people call the animation lacking, this is the best animation kancolle could have, non exaggerated movements to follow the action, gone is the epileptic and incongruous action of Fate, or over-saturated use of cgi (only for big colossal abyssal), this feels more like a naval battle, really nice and smooth.

I dont get why people say the animation was bad either the movement when the girls took hit or fired or took evasive action looked super fluid
Nov 17, 2022 1:52 PM

Feb 2014
Poor Yamashiro and her sister suffered quite a bit in this episode. It was a good thing that their group held out for long enough where the other two teams finally joined up (including a happy return of Yamato and Kongou) before taking on the boss of the Abyssal sisters. The way that Shigure helped Yamashiro to take out the enemy was done in a rather epic way.

While the climax of the fight itself was very good, the production quality was rather too inconsistent for my liking. Some parts were still done well (such as the Abyssal commander transformation scene and Yamashiro's climb to take it out), but other parts just didn't have the same quality put into it and looks rather rushed and choppy. It does give be vibes of how Azur Lane and how its animation quality went from excellent to bad between episodes during its original run.

Hopefully this will be the only blip in terms of production values and the next episode improves on it. =)
Nov 17, 2022 4:32 PM

Nov 2022
Eh, I dunno... wish they would've stuck with more conventional naval battle like they do with KC Arcade, instead of this "anything goes" jumbled mess that you often see in amateur fan fictions. I randomly spotted a Shimakaze in one wide shot, replacing Kishinami who was present throughout. Animation quality is all over the place, too.

They seem to have cut a lot of things leading to Yamato's fleet arriving as part to downsize the series to 8 eps. Almost like they cut and stitched together two episodes worth of content into one incomprehensible Frankenstein's monster.

There's also no indication that Yamashiro herself needed to charge head-on when reinforcements were already there, likely due to cut out scenes as well. For all we know, the reinforcements could've run out of munitions like Shigure or doing nothing to the boss because they have no "ties" to the Twin Princesses.

The part with Ashigara was great, though. True to her in-game self instead of petty caricature of desperate single woman she was portrayed as in the first anime.

I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping this series here, tbh. This episode ruined the tone that the first two episodes have set up. I honestly wish I was just dreaming the second half of this episode.
Nov 17, 2022 4:58 PM
May 2022
The princesses of the Surigao passage, it's what I can call this episode, not for the boss fight(the boss fight was something still didn't expect) but was a quite very good episode, the reference to KC arcade and the tactics impressed me. Now another variant of the actual historical data. All the task forces joined the battle at the same time (thanks kancolle for this). The comeback of Yamato, Kongou, and Haruna(with her stripes camouflage >~<) was epic. I read a lot of complaints about the animation consistency but I believe is much better than the first season and even the KC movie, and yes, I felt the same way about feels like they mix up 2 or 3 episodes into one to cut down to the 8 ep mark. In general I'm impress of the detail in the design of our girls, the references to the game and the animation.
Nov 17, 2022 8:17 PM

Nov 2010
mikkelol123 said:
I dont get why people say the animation was bad ...
Although I'm not sure where other people found the animation quality poor, frame drops would be seen in the scene that enemy fleets sliding over the sea. It's just before the spider lily CG scene.
Nov 18, 2022 2:10 AM

Apr 2014
The 23mins of this episode felt like 10mins for me.
Poor Fusou and Yamashiro, I really feel bad for them.
何それ?意味分かんない
Nov 18, 2022 5:45 AM

Jun 2016
RIP and this so emotional to watch !!
Nov 18, 2022 6:16 AM
Jul 2022
The damage they sustain is emphasized this time not just by having clothes ripped off . Although without the power of nakama speech like they did in previous anime the way the reinforcements show this time is great.
Nov 19, 2022 2:40 AM

Dec 2008
Another intense episodes, it breaks my heart seeing them bleed and getting damaged.
I was so damn worried, it's a great war atmosphere but a bit too intense sometimes.

Fusou heavily damaged still follows the fleet, I didn't like that they left the viewer in the dark about her condition.
Yamashiro also didn't say she should return for repairs or something to cheer her up.

Fleet 3 with the backs against the wall, I really thought they were done for, I was more than glad that a lot of reinforcements came in waves.

Yamashiro and damaged Shigure making vanguard fleet.
It was strange that Yamashiro can suddenly fly to beat up oversized end boss, I like the horizontal naval battles more.
Shounen battles don't fit the gloomy atmosphere of this show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 20, 2022 1:10 AM

Nov 2022
It's shit through and through. Not worth my time.
I watch anime, write reviews, do toy photography, explore the world with curiosity, play video games and sometimes blog. I have a life and a job but I still occasionally go here to see what is happening on the otaku world.
Nov 20, 2022 1:15 AM
Nov 2022
sero07 said:
The damage they sustain is emphasized this time not just by having clothes ripped off . Although without the power of nakama speech like they did in previous anime the way the reinforcements show this time is great.

Them getting hammered is what they deserved.
Nov 21, 2022 9:10 AM

Oct 2020
I was disappointed with this episode, some scenes look just outright cheap compared to the previous two episodes and that Yamashiro yeet rollover looked silly and out of place for Kancolle setting. Hopefully next episodes won't be like this.
Nov 21, 2022 3:52 PM
Aug 2013
It seems the anime get gradually worse in every aspect as the episodes go by.
The animation get worse. Sound is desyncronized with what happen on screen at several occasions (I can't unsee Yamashiro moving her lips before any word can be heard and that one silent cannon shot).
The battle make no sense over all and its feel like they wanted a maximum of things to happen in 20 minutes or so. I could write for an hour about all the things wrong about what happened here and it kinda makes me mad because not only it is a downgrade from the first (!) season of Kancolle but also with the first battle in the movie they showed us they could do amazing things if they put effort into it.

I think I will keep watching it because I love Kancolle but I won't expect much from action scenes anymore and try to hope that character interactions are done better.
Nov 23, 2022 4:12 AM
Sep 2018
This episode was kinda mixed, but still on the good side overall.

The animation was off in some cases, sure, but considering the studio, I'm kinda impressed. (!It's still a faaaaarrr cry from the previous season, let alone the movie!)
Fight scenes, while they wouldn't win any sakuga award, are still nice. Tactics, like the repeated hit-and-run used by the abyssals and the girls' reactions to them, are great to see compared to the first season's kinda stale fights. (I know I'm contradicting myself here. Let me explain: The first season's fights look much better if you look at only the animation, but the chaotic nature in this episode gives it some life, which is much appreciated.)

Also, they now have serious consequences for getting hit, which wasn't shown in animation before, like fusou not being able to use her damaged gun and not being as battle ready as others due to said damage (except the time when shokaku's bow broke, but she didn't suffer any long-term damage, only her aircraft launching capability was lost). Plus they are capable of running out of ammunition, which (if was mentioned at all) has never happened either.

The only thing that grinds my gears is the fact that the previous season took literally 5 or so minutes of its runtime and dedicated it to emphasizing just how heavy they are. (Fubuki wasn't able to move Yamato an inch, because she is soooo heavy) Meanwhile, here Yamashiro casually yeets her 36 500 t (THIRTY-SIX THOUSAND FIVEHUNDRED F** TONS) up in the air and starts rolling around like some random dude in a Bond movie.. also apparently now they can run on water instead of sailing, which is weird, but alright.. they have the shape of a human I guess...
MeiharaNov 23, 2022 12:29 PM
Dec 2, 2022 4:23 PM

Feb 2021
I'm a bit late to the episode, but damn, big hits were taken on both sides of battlefield, resulting in whatever we are going to see next episode.
Dec 4, 2022 3:41 PM
Jan 2021
Marina2 said:
What were those interaction between with Shigure and Yukikake interaction we keep seeing throughout the 3 episodes.

Are they going to become BFF? I know they shared similar fame as 'lucky ship' IRL.

Along with hibiki they are some of the only ships to survive to 1945. Per history they will be grouped with what remains after leyte gulf.
Dec 4, 2022 4:04 PM
Jan 2021
As for my thoughts on the anime so far

I do not like a realistic approach to history. In 1944 the fleet composition shown in E1 is ALL THAT IS LEFT. Everyone else has been sunk.

Per history, what was supposed to happen was that in the night of October 25 1944, her small fleet headed for a battle in the strait as a suicidal delaying mission for the Yamato in Op Ten Go to take a one way trip to bombard now-undefended landing craft.

Around midnight Fusuo takes a torpedo from PT boats and falls out of formation. She sinks 4 hours later.

At 3 AM Yamashiro also takes torpedoes midships while engaging in an impossible battle against 4 battleships (which are almost ten years newer with radar directed artillery and significantly better armor/shell penetration), but has a magazine explosion and sinks.

At this point I would say that no one who liked OR disliked Season 1 is satisfied.

People who liked seeing the Kantai Collection succeed against the odds and the sometimes silly sometimes serious mix, will not like how deadpan and solemn this is when it is trying to be silly, or how silly the combat is.

People who did not like mix of serious and silly won't like it here again. They will also not like that it went and deviated from seeing shipgirls get sunk inevitably, yet they will also not like how it does not treat sinking as a threat that even Season 1 or the movie did, where a ship can be straight up taiha'd from a well placed bomb or with heavy damage like in the movie.

The HP style does not suit the serious tone. If they wanted to make it serious, Season 1 and the movie actually had more realism. When a turret or torp tube was hit they straight up could not use it anymore. If a ship was heavily damaged she had to be helped (tugboated) to the port. Hell Akagi had deja vu of the actual ship being scuttled which is supposed to also happen to multiple ships here but it won't.

The delay in E4 is probably because they are rescripting the entire rest of the series and redoing it live.

As for E3

It was an amusing watch to point out what they did right/wrong in historical events but idk if I'd even recommend it to someone who likes stuff like the 2005 Yamato movie as it can't keep that straight either.

It is a devil's bargain that satisfies no one.
The idiots wanting historical accuracy, of all of the fleet being sunk in a series that is IJN CENTRIC, won't be happy.
The people who like kancolle, don't like watching their shipgirls sink as that defeats the entire point.
And a casual viewer doesn't care that the line abreast/diamond anti aircraft/destroyer leader formations are accurate when they spend like 10 minutes doing that.

IDK wtf this is supposed to be.
Jan 3, 2023 3:05 AM
Apr 2013
Strange episode. Suffice to say I was not expecting this.

So we open with a small flashback and round 2 with the PT boats. I guess I should have expected there would be a flashback cough cough but otherwise, I thought we dealt with all the pt boats last time but apparently not. Also some destroyer action.

I'm still not entirely sure what happened to fuso, but aside from that.

In the main action I was actually thinking things were almost lost, but apparently (almost?) everyone showed up. And I mean like everyone, to the point I lost track I couldnt even. I know last ep they were hinting at it, but I wasnt expecting like...everyone to show up. 

I also wasnt expecting whatever is this, melee combat in my ships? Uh. I suppose there is some elements. Anyway yamashiro destroys the princess but uh. Hmm.

I feel bad for fuso because she kind of got incapacitated early on and did like basically nothing. Yamashiro also kinda got shafted all things considered, but uhhhh.

Comparing this ep to last ep (or even just the start to the end) it felt very very different. Though last ep (and first ep too, and the start of this ep) the pacing was more like the slow stuff. Then lots of action towards the end, though very weird since so many girls showed up.

I mean all things considered a lot happened for just ~21 mins of action, I'm surprised they managed to fit so much.

Though like others mentioned, while it might not be so obvious it feels like some stuff is a bit off.
CocoaGalaxyJan 3, 2023 3:08 AM
Mar 5, 2023 5:02 AM
Dec 2017
41NV said:
As for my thoughts on the anime so far

I do not like a realistic approach to history. In 1944 the fleet composition shown in E1 is ALL THAT IS LEFT. Everyone else has been sunk.

Per history, what was supposed to happen was that in the night of October 25 1944, her small fleet headed for a battle in the strait as a suicidal delaying mission for the Yamato in Op Ten Go to take a one way trip to bombard now-undefended landing craft.

Around midnight Fusuo takes a torpedo from PT boats and falls out of formation. She sinks 4 hours later.

At 3 AM Yamashiro also takes torpedoes midships while engaging in an impossible battle against 4 battleships (which are almost ten years newer with radar directed artillery and significantly better armor/shell penetration), but has a magazine explosion and sinks.

At this point I would say that no one who liked OR disliked Season 1 is satisfied.

People who liked seeing the Kantai Collection succeed against the odds and the sometimes silly sometimes serious mix, will not like how deadpan and solemn this is when it is trying to be silly, or how silly the combat is.

People who did not like mix of serious and silly won't like it here again. They will also not like that it went and deviated from seeing shipgirls get sunk inevitably, yet they will also not like how it does not treat sinking as a threat that even Season 1 or the movie did, where a ship can be straight up taiha'd from a well placed bomb or with heavy damage like in the movie.

The HP style does not suit the serious tone. If they wanted to make it serious, Season 1 and the movie actually had more realism. When a turret or torp tube was hit they straight up could not use it anymore. If a ship was heavily damaged she had to be helped (tugboated) to the port. Hell Akagi had deja vu of the actual ship being scuttled which is supposed to also happen to multiple ships here but it won't.

The delay in E4 is probably because they are rescripting the entire rest of the series and redoing it live.

As for E3

It was an amusing watch to point out what they did right/wrong in historical events but idk if I'd even recommend it to someone who likes stuff like the 2005 Yamato movie as it can't keep that straight either.

It is a devil's bargain that satisfies no one.
The idiots wanting historical accuracy, of all of the fleet being sunk in a series that is IJN CENTRIC, won't be happy.
The people who like kancolle, don't like watching their shipgirls sink as that defeats the entire point.
And a casual viewer doesn't care that the line abreast/diamond anti aircraft/destroyer leader formations are accurate when they spend like 10 minutes doing that.

IDK wtf this is supposed to be.
I'm going to watch s2 here all the way through, but you already managed to put into words my exact opinion on this anime!
what you say about the silly-seriousness ratio is exactly my problem with this anime. Since if they can't manage to make a good anime to carry itself and boost whatever sales they were expecting it to boost, they should just focus on what they''re good at. Especially if their budget seems to be this limited. 
My main problems this time around are that there seems to be no outside world, and the stakes we're presented with are too low. I'm guessing they take it we know what they are doing and what these battles are about. In this version a ship can get knocked off their feet and continue the battle just fine.

I think they would do better if they didn't stick to realism/historic events if they're not planning to go all the way through with them and ships actually sinking. I feel like this will likely be the last anime, so why not sink some of the ~50 characters they've got at their disposal?
Apr 6, 2023 5:13 AM
Nov 2022
trash is trash forever and ever.
May 20, 2023 2:35 PM

Mar 2013
Im starting to believe "animation bad" are after effect of "MPV" user doing funky thing on top altering color and whatnot, this meme has to stop.
Oct 15, 2023 8:14 AM

Nov 2010
It sucks to see them getting banged up like that, just like what happened in real life. This is why having a CV in a task force is essential. They could've repelled that enemy attack easily if they had more air power.

Damn, what are they up against a super battleship?
Glad to see Yamato and Kongou in action! It looks like they did an alternate history. Fusou and Yamato managed to link up together.
The action was good and intense. It's too bad the animation is below average.

It's too bad the Japanese lost the war. I really wish they won and the world split between them and Germany. The current world where we live, ruled by victorious democratic Western powers, is on the brink of chaos and destruction. Those self-righteous assholes have no idea how to manage this world. At least there will be peace and order in the world ruled by Axis powers, at the cost of many racial groups (including mine) getting wiped out. Haha! Everything has a price. Nothing is perfect. All for the greater good!
Jan 5, 8:00 PM
Mar 2016
Dear Lord Muzan I've found you the blue spider lily. It's in Kantai Collection Season 2 in episode 3.

More topics from this board

Poll: » KanColle: Itsuka Ano Umi de Episode 8 Discussion

Animemes_Enjoyer - Mar 25, 2023

44 by BlitzAceSamy »»
Mar 27, 5:13 AM

Poll: » KanColle: Itsuka Ano Umi de Episode 7 Discussion

Serafos - Feb 12, 2023

23 by BlitzAceSamy »»
Mar 27, 4:31 AM

Poll: » KanColle: Itsuka Ano Umi de Episode 6 Discussion

AkeZZZ - Jan 19, 2023

23 by BlitzAceSamy »»
Mar 27, 1:25 AM

Poll: » KanColle: Itsuka Ano Umi de Episode 4 Discussion

Serafos - Dec 15, 2022

22 by BlitzAceSamy »»
Mar 27, 12:47 AM

Poll: » KanColle: Itsuka Ano Umi de Episode 5 Discussion

AkeZZZ - Dec 22, 2022

20 by KinjiKido »»
Jan 5, 8:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.