Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 16, 2022 2:27 AM
Sep 2021
Spoilers for the characters!

The writing between the characters Reki and Rakka is absolutely stunning, it's simple to understand, relatable, and meaningful, and the conclusion was just such a beautiful way to wrap things up, actually brought a tear to my eye.

Thank you Haibane Renmei :)
Nov 16, 2022 8:53 PM
Aug 2021
Glad to hear this show still resonates with people. it's such a quiet and understated show. I love coming back to when I need to think about myself. I also like that it never feels like it takes it themes too far like Lain and comes off as condescending or "too smart for you". Don't know if you have watched them but Kino's Journey, and Mushi Shi would be my recommendations if you like this show.
Nov 16, 2022 11:41 PM
Oct 2020
Yeah it's really amazing, Yoshitoshi ABe and Yasuyuki Ueda are an insanely talented pair that don't get nearly enough recognition for their work. I also highly recommend Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze if you haven't seen them yet.
Nov 17, 2022 1:42 AM

Apr 2016
This one is indeed a beautiful show. It defimitely deserves more appreciation.

The relationship between those character is great as you say, but you can feel the whole show is really well made with care.
Nov 17, 2022 1:44 AM
Sep 2021
Tasmia99 said:
Glad to hear this show still resonates with people. it's such a quiet and understated show. I love coming back to when I need to think about myself. I also like that it never feels like it takes it themes too far like Lain and comes off as condescending or "too smart for you". Don't know if you have watched them but Kino's Journey, and Mushi Shi would be my recommendations if you like this show.

I started Mushishi with a friend, and I watched Kino's Journey.

I domt quiet understand what you mean when you say Lain is a "too smart for you" thing. It doesnt come off that way at all, it just seems like a directorial stratagem used to make Lain understandable on many different grounds.
Nov 17, 2022 1:44 AM
Sep 2021
Burnt_Ramen said:
Yeah it's really amazing, Yoshitoshi ABe and Yasuyuki Ueda are an insanely talented pair that don't get nearly enough recognition for their work. I also highly recommend Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze if you haven't seen them yet.

Seen both, loved them both
Nov 17, 2022 12:06 PM

Jul 2021
This was such a well produced show about absolutely nothing.
I like these 2000s style aesthetics, but it ended up making no sense.
Nov 19, 2022 1:48 PM
Sep 2021
JaniSIr said:

You didnt pick up on the story about self acceptance? About sin? Redemption? Damn bro, guess it isnt your kind of directing.
Nov 19, 2022 2:31 PM

Jul 2021
lFrogs said:
JaniSIr said:

You didnt pick up on the story about self acceptance? About sin? Redemption? Damn bro, guess it isnt your kind of directing.

The whole sin motif was very heavy handed, so it'd be hard to notice, but there is no real substance to it.
Reki got at least a little character development, but Rakka just had to fall into a well to get rid of her sin...

And there are so many world building elements that never get touched on.
Like we don't know what's the haibane, what are the dreams all about, why they forge that halo thing, why can't they go outside the walls, why does touching it make them sick, what's up with the silent masked figures, what's the point of all the weird traditions, like only buying used items, what's the point of the day of flight, why the walls glow at new years eve?
This show could be summarized with a gif of Chekhov rolling in his grave.
Nov 19, 2022 9:09 PM

Dec 2018
It really is. It’s message of self acceptance is beautifully crafted and really struck a chord with me

Jan 16, 2023 12:33 AM

Jan 2022
I absolutely agree. I watched this show at the right time during my substance abuse recovery and rekis self forgiveness and freedom from her mental chains resonated with me so well I never felt so seen by a piece of media. I love this anime so much on a personal level. I'm so happy to see others get so much out of it too.
Feb 4, 2023 7:04 AM
Aug 2018
it's not beautiful it's just overrated
Feb 9, 2023 10:19 AM
Nov 2020
its indeed a very beautiful anime it even made me almost burst into tears. Reki reminded me of a very troubled friend of mine, i showed her this anime and she went to a certain extent in a cathartic experience
Nov 11, 2023 9:30 PM

Feb 2016
I have yet to find another anime I love the way I love this one.
その目だれの目?
Dec 9, 2023 9:20 AM
Jul 2019
I am sad, i am watch any shonen
Dec 29, 2023 3:45 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to JaniSIr
lFrogs said:
JaniSIr said:

The whole sin motif was very heavy handed, so it'd be hard to notice, but there is no real substance to it.
Reki got at least a little character development, but Rakka just had to fall into a well to get rid of her sin...

And there are so many world building elements that never get touched on.
Like we don't know what's the haibane, what are the dreams all about, why they forge that halo thing, why can't they go outside the walls, why does touching it make them sick, what's up with the silent masked figures, what's the point of all the weird traditions, like only buying used items, what's the point of the day of flight, why the walls glow at new years eve?
This show could be summarized with a gif of Chekhov rolling in his grave.
@JaniSIr thats to expect it to spoon-feed you bro. All of the answers are there, I find rewatching helps a lot especially with Ueda and Abe productions, i think theres something to get from it on each watch, you harshly judge it when i dont think youve actually really taken a proper look
Dec 29, 2023 3:46 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to Nephronsensis
it's not beautiful it's just overrated
@Nephronsensis all of your favourites are shounens with scores way too high, and youre calling Haibane Renmei overrated.

Thats genuinely really shocking
Dec 29, 2023 4:37 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to lFrogs
@JaniSIr thats to expect it to spoon-feed you bro. All of the answers are there, I find rewatching helps a lot especially with Ueda and Abe productions, i think theres something to get from it on each watch, you harshly judge it when i dont think youve actually really taken a proper look
@lFrogs No it isn't, I have watched the whole thing, and the show doesn't answer anything. If literally watching the whole thing isn't sufficient to put it mostly together then it's a fault in the show, not the viewer.
There are some shows that are better on rewatch, because the reveal at the end ads context to the random shit you didn't understand initially, but there was no reveal in this anime.
And there is a huge spectrum between spoon feeding and being an artsy fartsy intentionally confusing pretentious nonsense, but if I had to pick between the two extremes, then I'll go with spoon feeding, that at least actually has a story behind it.
Dec 29, 2023 5:30 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to JaniSIr
@lFrogs No it isn't, I have watched the whole thing, and the show doesn't answer anything. If literally watching the whole thing isn't sufficient to put it mostly together then it's a fault in the show, not the viewer.
There are some shows that are better on rewatch, because the reveal at the end ads context to the random shit you didn't understand initially, but there was no reveal in this anime.
And there is a huge spectrum between spoon feeding and being an artsy fartsy intentionally confusing pretentious nonsense, but if I had to pick between the two extremes, then I'll go with spoon feeding, that at least actually has a story behind it.
@JaniSIr It's neither fault because the aim of the director was not in line with the aim of the viewer, so to put simply, the anime offered something that you didn't want, and you've faulted the show for it.
Dec 29, 2023 5:57 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to lFrogs
@JaniSIr It's neither fault because the aim of the director was not in line with the aim of the viewer, so to put simply, the anime offered something that you didn't want, and you've faulted the show for it.
@lFrogs Intentionally being bad doesn't make it not bad.
Jan 7, 1:30 PM
Sep 2021
Reply to JaniSIr
@lFrogs Intentionally being bad doesn't make it not bad.
@JaniSIr sir you've got Lilith 2 in your manga favourites, why are you talking to me about something bad?
Jan 7, 4:26 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to lFrogs
@JaniSIr sir you've got Lilith 2 in your manga favourites, why are you talking to me about something bad?
@lFrogs I fail to see your point, especially since you didn't even start that.
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Sep 2011
Beautiful feels like an understatement, I don't think theres ever going to be another series quite like it and its rare to find a piece of media so focused on death thats so ultimately optimistic and hopeful without relying on overtly religious teachings that skew to singular religious beliefs.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jacobpaige - Apr 24, 2008

261 by rasterman7 »»
Mar 22, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei - help please Is it better in Dub or Sub?

ignominy15 - Aug 11, 2015

18 by waalex11 »»
Sep 22, 2023 11:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.