Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 25, 2022 4:58 PM
Feb 2022
I still can’t believe that DITF is probably the only example of a genuinely good romance in anime. It was masterfully done and actually showed the development of genuine love between two people. Every other romance out there is a boring cash grab that simply follows the same formula that has been repeated time and time again.

I’m forever sad knowing that we will never see any more of Hiro and Zero 2😭😭.

It’s almost been a year now, and I still can’t get this anime out of my head!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 25, 2022 5:06 PM
May 2019
Ay Lil bro idk about that, but if you want another good romance anime to watch you should check out Horimiya
Oct 25, 2022 5:07 PM
Jun 2020
as someone who basically only watches and reads romance, i cannot agree with this at all lol. The dynamic between the couple was really bad, Hiro had 0 personality or character traits, the only thing that I got out of it was that they met when they were younger and thus were compatible since he drank her blood. I didn’t feel this “falling in love” because I was too distracted by the plot which after 10 episodes fell off Mount Everest.
Oct 25, 2022 5:07 PM

Jul 2021
Watch more anime
is as simple as that
if u think this anime has "good" romance
Oct 25, 2022 5:17 PM
Apr 2022
lol just an advice: Watch more anime
Oct 25, 2022 5:18 PM
Apr 2021
"development of romance", the two of them just started dating already in episode 2 wtf. The development was the zero two nude? 💀
Oct 25, 2022 5:18 PM

Feb 2021
Fax, the romance in DITF is underrated
Oct 25, 2022 5:19 PM
May 2022
MommaDuck said:
I still can’t believe that DITF is probably the only example of a genuinely good romance in anime. It was masterfully done and actually showed the development of genuine love between two people. Every other romance out there is a boring cash grab that simply follows the same formula that has been repeated time and time again.

I mean if you think this is a good romance anime watch Horimyia or like my dress up darling. Maid-sama and Kaguya-sama and Pet girl of sakuraso are other good ones but the progress is longer.
Oct 25, 2022 5:21 PM
Feb 2022
Archelleous said:
Ay Lil bro idk about that, but if you want another good romance anime to watch you should check out Horimiya

Watched it, it was decent
Feb 2022
Cross_2D said:
as someone who basically only watches and reads romance, i cannot agree with this at all lol. The dynamic between the couple was really bad, Hiro had 0 personality or character traits, the only thing that I got out of it was that they met when they were younger and thus were compatible since he drank her blood. I didn’t feel this “falling in love” because I was too distracted by the plot which after 10 episodes fell off Mount Everest.

Some ‘better’ examples then?
Feb 2022
Cestlavie_ said:
Watch more anime
is as simple as that
if u think this anime has "good" romance

Some examples then?
Oct 25, 2022 5:22 PM

Jul 2015
I think only SAO or Shokomori can compete in terms of romance and how bad it is.

Oct 25, 2022 5:24 PM
Sep 2021
Rakudia kishi no cavalry
Not the best romance but I watched it recently and the romance is better than DITF
Oct 25, 2022 5:24 PM
Feb 2022
kinaaaaaa said:
"development of romance", the two of them just started dating already in episode 2 wtf. The development was the zero two nude? 💀

What is this even supposed to mean? It doesn’t matter if they get together early - it was nice to see them grow as a couple and be intimate together.

I’m not a fan of ‘romances’ where the 2 main characters are awkward and nervous around each other for 100 episodes, and then suddenly have some forced confession before the show ends.
Oct 25, 2022 5:26 PM

Jul 2021
Well it's been a long time since I watched DITF but if you're asking for romance, I can't think of anything that did it better than Yagate Kimi ni Naru. Because in romance developing a relationship isn't always important but developing the characters certainly is and especially in the case of YagaKimi, where the characters see romance as something unknown and even something to be feared. Thus they must adapt in accordance to become comfortable with such a foreign landscape.
Oct 25, 2022 5:27 PM
Apr 2021
steins;gate has a better romance that ditf, even though it's not the main focus of the story
Oct 25, 2022 5:29 PM
Oct 2020
Cyberpunk Edgerunners
Oct 25, 2022 5:30 PM
Jun 2022
Okabe and Makise Kurisu are a 100x better couple then this.
Oct 25, 2022 5:31 PM
Feb 2022
Sol007 said:
MommaDuck said:

I mean if you think this is a good romance anime watch Horimyia or like my dress up darling. Maid-sama and Kaguya-sama and Pet girl of sakuraso are other good ones but the progress is longer.

Watched Horimiya and Dress up Darling. Both were pretty good and I have high hopes for the rest of Dress up Darling.

I was thinking of checking out maid-sama, but I cannot stand ‘romances’ like Kaguya-sama. Rom-coms like that just don’t do it for me. There’s nothing ‘romantic’ about it imo.

Never heard of pet girl of sakuraso though - will have a look at it.
Oct 25, 2022 5:34 PM
Feb 2022
Fabien04 said:
steins;gate has a better romance that ditf, even though it's not the main focus of the story

Nooooo. I fucking love Steins;Gate, and it’s one of the very few anime I will award a 10/10 (which not even DITF gets, for obvious reasons) - but the romance feels more like a minor sub-plot imo. I have nothing against the romance in it - but that would not be a reason to watch it imo.

Ive watched the movies and Steins;Gate 0 too, which are slightly more focused on the romance (i guess) - but the romance isn’t intimate enough for me to personally consider it a top-tier romance.

Their relationship is GOOD, and they’re arguably better characters - but I wanna see all of the relationship-y stuff in a ‘romance’ anime.
Oct 25, 2022 5:43 PM
Feb 2022
Cestlavie_ said:
MommaDuck said:

Some examples then?

Silent Voice, SNAFU, Pet Girl of Sakura, Fruit Basket, Josee and Tiger, Clannad, Toradora, Love is War, You Lie in April, Bunny Senpai , Chunnibyou, how to raise a boring girlfriend and The World only God Knows.

Whilst I enjoyed SNAFU a lot, and loved 8man - i did not particularly enjoy it as a romance anime. I hate the common formula of being super indirect with the romance until the very last episode.

Toradora was garbage imo. Cannot believe it is one of the most highly regarded romance anime out there. Same problem as SNAFU.

Love is war: I don’t like that type of romance either.

Bunny Senpai is genuinely good, admittedly. Although i’m not that much of a fan of the general concept - the relationship between the two MCs is enough for me.

Chunibyou is a bit eh… I just watched the first season a few days ago - but i wasn’t that impressed. It’s not terrible though, but i’ll have to continue watching to see if it gets better and to fully figure out my feelings about it.

I’m put off by Clannad reviews because I can’t stand a bunch of overdramatic BS caused by stupid characters that don’t communicate (which is what i’ve been told drives all the drama).

I don’t think I have the heart to watch Your Lie in April.

Silent voice has been on my list for a while, so I will watch it eventually.

I’ll have to look up the rest cause i’ve not heard of them (apart from Fruit’s Basket).
Oct 25, 2022 5:45 PM
Feb 2022
Mq84jdk said:
Cyberpunk Edgerunners

It was good, but David & Lucy’s relationship felt very shallow in the 2nd half due to a lack of communication. My feelings for their relationship was saved by their argument in the last (or penultimate, since I can’t remember) episode.

I wish it was longer too. But yeah it was decent.
Oct 25, 2022 5:46 PM
Feb 2022
Slayer777 said:
Okabe and Makise Kurisu are a 100x better couple then this.

I like their relationship, but I feel like you don’t really see much of them acting like a couple. They’re always separated due to the plot lol.
Oct 25, 2022 5:46 PM
Feb 2022
tvofwizdom said:
Well it's been a long time since I watched DITF but if you're asking for romance, I can't think of anything that did it better than Yagate Kimi ni Naru. Because in romance developing a relationship isn't always important but developing the characters certainly is and especially in the case of YagaKimi, where the characters see romance as something unknown and even something to be feared. Thus they must adapt in accordance to become comfortable with such a foreign landscape.

Ill check it out, thanks.
Oct 25, 2022 5:47 PM
Apr 2021
MommaDuck said:
Fabien04 said:

Nooooo. I fucking love Steins;Gate, and it’s one of the very few anime I will award a 10/10 (which not even DITF gets, for obvious reasons) - but the romance feels more like a minor sub-plot imo. I have nothing against the romance in it - but that would not be a reason to watch it imo.

Ive watched the movies and Steins;Gate 0 too, which are slightly more focused on the romance (i guess) - but the romance isn’t intimate enough for me to personally consider it a top-tier romance.

Their relationship is GOOD, and they’re arguably better characters - but I wanna see all of the relationship-y stuff in a ‘romance’ anime.

ohhh I see what you mean
Oct 25, 2022 5:52 PM
Feb 2022
Fabien04 said:
MommaDuck said:

ohhh I see what you mean

I appreciate your understanding haha.

I guess my idea of a ‘good’ romance is just different from most people. I’m not happy simply by knowing that 2 characters end up being a couple and sharing a kiss in the final episode.

That’s when the romance is just getting started imo - and then they just end!!

I’m not even against a slow build-up, as long as there’s still more to see once they finally get together.

I’m not interested in watching Clannad because of some reviews that i’ve read - but I hear that Clannad After Story is great for this aforementioned reason. Like, finally, we get to actually see the results of that slow build-up!
Oct 25, 2022 6:00 PM
Sep 2021
I say it ended well but you see im biast to some degree, the reason being i hate endings this one however i was at peace with.
Oct 25, 2022 6:15 PM
Feb 2022
Noir_002 said:
I say it ended well but you see im biast to some degree, the reason being i hate endings this one however i was at peace with.

Personally, I hated the ending. Not just because it was sad, but because it was a bit weird and over the top too - but ‘over the top’ is par for the course with anime, so I couldn’t be too surprised lol.
Oct 25, 2022 7:04 PM
Dec 2021
this joint is mid asf 😂😂
Oct 25, 2022 7:08 PM
Oct 2020
MommaDuck said:

Maybe it’s a bit bold to say that when you watched so few shows
Oct 25, 2022 7:17 PM
Feb 2022
SubSoma said:
MommaDuck said:

Maybe it’s a bit bold to say that when you watched so few shows

Mate i’ve got like 65 entries in my list and I still haven’t included every single anime that i’ve watched… i wouldn’t really say that I haven’t watched a fair bit of anime.
Oct 25, 2022 7:32 PM

May 2017
It's truly hard to find a romance as bad as the one here
Oct 25, 2022 7:49 PM
Aug 2020
Lets keep your horniness for zero two and your opinions separated please. Loads of anime do it better than ditf but I can agree and say that the only decent part of ditf was Hiro and Zero twos relationship
Oct 25, 2022 8:15 PM

May 2021
if you want good romance, go with shows like kimi no todoke which dont have action
Oct 25, 2022 8:15 PM
Oct 2021
after reading all your comments, I'd say anime is not the place you should be looking for romance series. Your taste in romance just doesn't match with most other weebs and otakus. Anime mostly only has a very specific type of romance shows, with only a few exceptions. Try different mediums for the type of romance you like!
Oct 25, 2022 8:28 PM
Apr 2021
Clannad, toradora, golden time, ReLife, love is war
Oct 25, 2022 8:30 PM
Jul 2022
You should watch Oregairu
Oct 25, 2022 8:35 PM
Mar 2022
MommaDuck said:

I love DITF the first anime to make me full out cry. But to say only example of a good romance anime now that’s just not true
Oct 25, 2022 8:48 PM
Jun 2020
MommaDuck said:
Cestlavie_ said:

Silent Voice, SNAFU, Pet Girl of Sakura, Fruit Basket, Josee and Tiger, Clannad, Toradora, Love is War, You Lie in April, Bunny Senpai , Chunnibyou, how to raise a boring girlfriend and The World only God Knows.

Whilst I enjoyed SNAFU a lot, and loved 8man - i did not particularly enjoy it as a romance anime. I hate the common formula of being super indirect with the romance until the very last episode.

Toradora was garbage imo. Cannot believe it is one of the most highly regarded romance anime out there. Same problem as SNAFU.

Love is war: I don’t like that type of romance either.

Bunny Senpai is genuinely good, admittedly. Although i’m not that much of a fan of the general concept - the relationship between the two MCs is enough for me.

Chunibyou is a bit eh… I just watched the first season a few days ago - but i wasn’t that impressed. It’s not terrible though, but i’ll have to continue watching to see if it gets better and to fully figure out my feelings about it.

I’m put off by Clannad reviews because I can’t stand a bunch of overdramatic BS caused by stupid characters that don’t communicate (which is what i’ve been told drives all the drama).

I don’t think I have the heart to watch Your Lie in April.

Silent voice has been on my list for a while, so I will watch it eventually.

I’ll have to look up the rest cause i’ve not heard of them (apart from Fruit’s Basket).

It seems like you haven’t watched a lot of the good ones so I guess it’s safe to say you’re drawing your conclusions to early to say the least. I’m really sad u didn’t like SNAFU, it’s my personal #1 of all time, I just loved all of the characters too much, even the side characters are all amazing. The romance was slightly rushed but season 2 did such a phenomenal job at setting up complex drama and relationships and then resolving them in season 3 was incredible too.
Oct 25, 2022 8:57 PM
Mar 2021
Just search top 100 romance anime and they probably all better
Oct 25, 2022 9:19 PM
Jun 2022
MommaDuck said:

there is a better story than ditf anime and it is it's manga version. both are different stories with same opening of 5-6 episodes.
Oct 25, 2022 9:21 PM
Jun 2022
Fabien04 said:

he said it. he fuckin said it. this guy spitting fax. 😂😂
Oct 25, 2022 9:23 PM
Oct 2021
MommaDuck said:
Noir_002 said:

Personally, I hated the ending. Not just because it was sad, but because it was a bit weird and over the top too - but ‘over the top’ is par for the course with anime, so I couldn’t be too surprised lol.

That ending was a bit too over the top even for anime standards.
Oct 25, 2022 10:42 PM

Apr 2020
When the MC is literally named Hiro, then you know the romance will be shit
Oct 25, 2022 10:47 PM

Feb 2020
MommaDuck said:

I've watched more than 1k animes, there is no other romance like in Drift. The closet is probably Akagami no Shirayuki. Also a friendly reminder, most ppl hate Darling. So it's better tif you just release this thread.

Oct 25, 2022 11:36 PM
Mar 2020
Dude, for the love of god go watch something decent, like Fruits Basket.
DITF isn't a good anime neither it has great romance (it started off well but after episode 13 everything went to hell)
Oct 25, 2022 11:51 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
Mate must be tripping.

I like darling in the franxx probably more than the average viewer, but imagine calling other romance anime cash grab when this show was clearly made to sell both mech models and zero two body pillows.
Oct 26, 2022 12:35 AM
Jan 2021
I agree with everyone that DITF probably doesn't have the best romance but you seem like the type who wants the characters to be officially dating from the get go, seeing as how don't like kaguya sama and others. So why not go for "shikimori's not just a cutie", even though the mc sucks they are dating from like episode 1. " Tonikaku kawaii" is actually great and they get married in episode 1.
Oct 26, 2022 12:41 AM
Aug 2018
Edgerunners is a contender!
Oct 26, 2022 12:51 AM
Jan 2022
Can't find a show with romance like DITF?

Yeah, its hard to fall that low.
Check Out My Profile

MAL Profile
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

331 by otakuanity »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 22 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

37 by otakuanity »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 21 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

44 by otakuanity »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

66 by otakuanity »»
Yesterday, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2018

258 by otakuanity »»
Yesterday, 3:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.