Forum Settings
Forums

Has anyone here gotten (or is planning to get) laser eye surgery?

New
Sep 4, 2022 6:00 PM
Jul 2018
Coming up in early October, I'm going in to the eye doctor for laser eye surgery to hopefully get my eyes fixed so I no longer have to wear glasses.
Recovery should take up to a day or two before I can look at any screens.
So if it seems I've dropped off the face of the earth, they done fucked up...

But that's a small risk, especially for me from what I'm told, so I should be fine.

Has anyone here gotten this done to their eyes or is planning to?
removed-userSep 4, 2022 6:04 PM
Sep 4, 2022 6:15 PM

Mar 2021
No the Lord has blessed me with perfect eyesight.
Sep 4, 2022 6:17 PM

May 2009
My eyesight is perfect. I'm young and virile with 20/20 vision. But when I'm 60 I will absolutely get laser eye surgery, as all old people should. Any younger, zapping your eye with a laser seems like a bad idea unless you're ok with going blind. Just wear glasses. After 60 I'm willing to risk going blind for good eyesight, but not in my 30s, 40s, or 50s
IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED ODDTAXI OR SAIKI K I'LL BONK YOU IN THE HEAD

Sep 4, 2022 6:22 PM

Feb 2021
My eyesight is dogshit. I'm fine wearing glasses for now, but I sometimes wonder whether I should get Lasik. Haven't done nearly enough research into it, but I wish you the best of luck with your surgery.
Sep 4, 2022 6:37 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
It's something I would consider if I could reasonably afford it. It would be nice to not need to wear glasses anymore.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Sep 4, 2022 9:03 PM

Mar 2008
My sister had it done years ago and is fine but had dry eye problems a while if i recall. You do need to keep in mind the potential side effects and that some percentage need to have it done again after ten years or so. Worse your vision the higher the potential side effects.

https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-care/lasik/is-lasik-eye-surgery-right-for-you

https://www.healthline.com/health/eye-health/how-long-does-lasik-last#about-lasik
Sep 4, 2022 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
I have terrible vision but I have no plans to get any sort of laser eye surgery. Glasses are cool anyways.
Sep 4, 2022 9:36 PM

Mar 2021
I never trusted laser eye surgery bc how is that laser going to fix my eyesight???
Sep 4, 2022 9:46 PM
Jul 2018
traed said:
My sister had it done years ago and is fine but had dry eye problems a while if i recall. You do need to keep in mind the potential side effects and that some percentage need to have it done again after ten years or so. Worse your vision the higher the potential side effects.

https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-care/lasik/is-lasik-eye-surgery-right-for-you

https://www.healthline.com/health/eye-health/how-long-does-lasik-last#about-lasik

I'll just say I'm a bit more confident about it after my evaluation.
That's where most of my fears were set at ease.
Sep 4, 2022 11:56 PM

Apr 2016
I would like to do it to fix my sight, but I can't do it because my eyesight quality fluctuates too much, for years the doctors keep saying that I should wait for it to stabilize.
Sep 5, 2022 1:24 AM

Jun 2021
i wanted to, at the end of the 2000's and beginning of the following decade, but couldn't afford it and soon had even more money problems (solved after landing a new job in 2012). But now... don't think about it any more, too afraid of the possible consequences. At this point, honestly, the only real good reason to even just replace glasses with contacts are cosplays at anime conventions, even if actually in the later years i had to attach the corrective lenses to the colored ones according to the characters portrayed, and then trying to separate them again at home without breaking the colored ones. It's risky, and so i chose more and more often to cosplay as characters with brown eyes 'cause corrective lenses with that color are actually sold (red and purple, instead, aren't)
Sep 5, 2022 6:24 AM

Dec 2015
If I am correct you can only make laser surgery if you have far sight problems (or however it is caleld > when you see properly from close distance but have problems from the long distances), so far I am not planning if I'd be able as there are some risks I have only -2.5 or -2.75 in both eyes which is not a big deal so far and I don't mind wearing glasses, maybe in future when my sight will get worse I'd consider that.
Sep 5, 2022 3:45 PM

Jun 2015
I'm planning to, since I'm short-sighted, I don't want to wear contact lens for the rest of my life, and I refuse to wear glasses.

However it's a rather expensive operation, so I need to wait until I have more money.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Sep 6, 2022 9:53 AM

Dec 2018
if i'd be able to afford it someday then i'll most definitely get it. although im extremely terried of it messing up yk? like a teeny tiny mistake causing to become blind. idk im just paranoid, but i'm definitely planning once i have the money, cuz i play sports and it's so bothersome
*burps*  [font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Oct 20, 2022 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
-Leiman- said:
Coming up in early October, I'm going in to the eye doctor for laser eye surgery to hopefully get my eyes fixed so I no longer have to wear glasses.
Recovery should take up to a day or two before I can look at any screens.
So if it seems I've dropped off the face of the earth, they done fucked up...

But that's a small risk, especially for me from what I'm told, so I should be fine.

Has anyone here gotten this done to their eyes or is planning to?

Ayo, time for an update.
I'm doing fine, my vision is 20/20, my eyes are healed, and I just gotta put eyedrops in for a while.
There's also some slight bruising on my eyes from the procedure, but that should go away eventually.
Oct 20, 2022 3:56 PM

Sep 2022
Way too scary for me to consider. I hate having to wear glasses and seeing nothing but blurs when they're off, but in the off chance they screw up... Oooooh no, not worth it.
Oct 20, 2022 4:09 PM

Jul 2021
My old roommate got Lasik and it changed his life like crazy. He loved it. It was night and day. He said that it was amazing that he got to see leaves on trees without contacts/glasses. I've heard that it only lasts 10 years or so and you will have to get it again in the future. But he was all for it. Big win all the way.
Oct 20, 2022 4:12 PM
Jul 2018
Glad it went well. Maybe if it was covered I’d get my astigmatism corrected.
Oct 20, 2022 4:33 PM

Jun 2022
-Leiman- said:

Ayo, time for an update.
I'm doing fine, my vision is 20/20, my eyes are healed, and I just gotta put eyedrops in for a while.
There's also some slight bruising on my eyes from the procedure, but that should go away eventually.
nicee
_meimei said:
im pretty sure my surgeon told me to not get lasik bcus it increases odds of reemergence of double vision ;___; but then again i got like the worst track record of reverting after surgeries ever
Oct 20, 2022 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
rian9999 said:
_meimei said:
im pretty sure my surgeon told me to not get lasik bcus it increases odds of reemergence of double vision ;___; but then again i got like the worst track record of reverting after surgeries ever
damn… well I def don’t wanna go back to seeing double and stacking eye surgeries probably isn’t the best idea now that you bring that up
Oct 20, 2022 5:01 PM

Jan 2020
Where all my blind peeps at!

I have really bad eyesight: an astigmatism in both eyes. I was just born lucky I guess? While I've considered the surgery, my vision is at the point where I think even if I got the surgery, I would still potentially need glasses. But, I actually think I prefer the way I look with glasses than without anyway, so that's the main reason I never further pursued the surgery.

But, from the sounds of your update, I'm glad it worked out for you.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Oct 20, 2022 7:32 PM
Jul 2022
they literally shine a laser in your eye while you are awake and conscious
btw it took me about 64 tries to spell conscious correctly
myanimelist (or as i like to call it mya) resident JK by day and magical girl by night
Oct 24, 2022 10:12 AM
Sep 2022
yeah im planning to the surgeon said that it will fix my distorted vision, astigmatism and lazy eye
my visions distorted so when watching anime i have to squint my eyes slightly to see better but that just makes me tired/gives me headache.
yolo_yolo_yoOct 24, 2022 10:20 AM
Oct 24, 2022 4:24 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Yeah not a fun experience. My cross linking procedure wasn't approved by the FDA yet (even though it had been approved in Europe for a long while) so I had to pay for that shit out of pocket for like $10,000. On top of that, I have an immunity to all non-heavy duty painkillers, so despite my abnormally high pain tolerance, I was stamping my feet and shouting in pain the whole night following the procedure (I laugh about it now but I had never experienced anything that painful). They doused my eyes with some chemical and had them pried open for more than an hour while they shot lasers at them the whole time. The procedure itself wasn't painful at all, but around twelve hours later I was hit with a huge constant wave of pain as my eyes inflamed / sent ion pulses during the nerves' healing process. Procedure was several years ago, it's a shame too because I had 20/20 vision but at some point unbeknownst to me I developed Keratoconus (your cornea starts to bend into a cone shape causing blurred vision and increased light sensitivity) and didn't catch it until a year or two after it started to develop. Luckily though progression of the disease is permanently halted and the disease didn't do too much damage, I think I still technically have above average vision.
Oct 24, 2022 8:29 PM

Mar 2015
ive heard that shit expires so i would probably never do it
Oct 24, 2022 8:49 PM
Jul 2021
I don't need to do it, perfect eyesight, but even if I was in need I wouldn't do it.

Firstly, if you don't have insurance that shit is expensive.

Secondly it has an expiration date of ten years or so.

Thirdly, I've heard that not everyone can go through it.

Fourtly, glasses are hot af. And ppl who use them can gave this aura about them, and some can pull off the hot/sexy librarian look.
DawizzOct 24, 2022 9:25 PM
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Oct 24, 2022 9:00 PM

Jun 2022
I'm going to get it done eventually, maybe sometime next year because I hate wearing my glasses, good for you getting yours done hope it turned out great.
Oct 26, 2022 10:15 AM

Mar 2022
I'm planning to get it after I finish college. I'm severely nearsighted and glasses are pretty annoying, even though I've worn them for 10 years. Thankfully, my vision issues are simple enough to be fixed with eye surgery (My mother and brother have astigmatism-hope I spelled that right-so they aren't able to get it, but I just can't see, so I can get it no problem). I hope that your surgery went well and it was successful, OP!
The siren of a flightless bird

Quietly destroying its cage

Dance, until tonight, with a raised voice-

For I don't want to lose hope!

-Utsuro wo Aogu, Vivid BAS SQUAD
Oct 26, 2022 7:43 PM
Jul 2022
Dawizz said:
I don't need to do it, perfect eyesight, but even if I was in need I wouldn't do it.

Firstly, if you don't have insurance that shit is expensive.

Secondly it has an expiration date of ten years or so.

Thirdly, I've heard that not everyone can go through it.

Fourtly, glasses are hot af. And ppl who use them can gave this aura about them, and some can pull off the hot/sexy librarian look.

doesnt really give off that aura when 90% of my school wears glasses
myanimelist (or as i like to call it mya) resident JK by day and magical girl by night
Oct 26, 2022 7:53 PM

Mar 2021
never doing it, even though my eyes are dogshit lmao

More topics from this board

» What's the most important thing in the center of your mind rn?

LenRea - 8 minutes ago

0 by LenRea »»
8 minutes ago

» What word you find hard to spell

ST63LTH - 8 hours ago

9 by 3miL »»
16 minutes ago

» So I just got into Yugioh Speed Duel

rohan121 - Yesterday

5 by 3miL »»
18 minutes ago

» If you could time travel and teleport where and when would you go? ( 1 2 )

Paladin23 - Jan 25

76 by Noboru »»
33 minutes ago

» Is hating on Japan cool on the internet? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Apr 16, 2020

116 by Lambofgenesis »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.