Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 27, 2022 5:27 AM

Jul 2017
Dang, the drama on either behind the scenes or on the playing field, is just as hectic.

This proves true for Keiji Togashi when he joined Tokyo Esperion as a Junior Youth trialist in his 6th grade 3.5 years ago, having known Coach Fukuda and once being directly under his tutelage. With Kuroda, Takeshima and the players (plus Asari) aiming to go pro, things in Esperion Junior are definitely different and well seasoned for J.League standards, though Togashi can't quite put two and two together to feel frustrated. Even using other players are practice tools whilst not being malicious about it, it's the sobering truth that Togashi must go the apt way: if you can't beat 'em, join them.

Match after match, Togashi slowly picks up what the other Esperion players have been doing: countering on defense rather than attacking. The old Togashi definitely feels like Aoi when he moved into the team, only being very concerned about being a forward that can only score goals just to go pro. In their mindset, they have already graduated from the "scoring goals" objective, and have embraced defense as much as offensive to go pro, It's either you make it or you don't, and Kuroda and the others know this fact fully well to see it in the long run, rather than the short-term.

Till this day, the feud between Togashi and Takeshima belitting each other, but the Tokyo Esperion B team isn't quite ready to face the undefeated Musashino just yet. Tachibana hasn't done anything noteworthy yet, so he literally has no right to boss people around. But that's who he is, and at least he acknowledges that what Coach Nozomi is training them for, and the best that Tokyo Esperion has been acclaimed for since Togashi's trial days, the true enemy is yourself.

Help people help themselves, and the inevitable match next week against Tokyo Musashino will prove if their answers are correct.
Old pals: the chosen vs. rejected, the fated match.
KANLen09Aug 27, 2022 5:54 AM
Aug 27, 2022 5:45 AM

Jun 2021
So Togashi’s beef with these promoted guys goes back years huh? It’s amazing what a few years can do. They looked a lot more like young teens than they do now. Some things don’t ever change though huh? Takeshima’s always been popular with the girls haha. But yeah, ok. I can understand Togashi’s issue with these guys. It’s pretty irritating how they’re being pretty dismissive of him and it’s not even intentional. That’s honestly worse.

What did Takeshima mean by “a first-time long ball up yo their forward will see us conceding”? I didn’t quite get that. Though I can see what Togashi is saying. He sorta has a point. These guys did seem like they’re out there with the “Don’t get injured, become a pro, win” mentality. I do get it though. Even still, they need to squash this shit or they’ll die against Musashino.

Aoi, good effort bud, but let Tachibana take this one. I don’t think a picnic is gonna help lol. But props to Tachibana for admitting his weaknesses. Takeshima too. Takes a lot to admit you’re lacking and to confront it. Glad to see the team working together to prep for this Musashino match. Aoi’s got some big decisions ahead…

I don’t think I’m ready for this to end, man. There’s only a few episodes left but I feel like the story’s just getting started.
Aug 27, 2022 5:59 AM
Sep 2015
I still don't get why they're fighting but shouldn't Togashi brawl with Kuroda instead of Takeshima? I just hope there's no permanent damage from the brawling.

And Takeshima already bring girls to the match since elementary school? What a playboy! But who wouldn't want a potential pro soccer like him as a boyfriend? The more I think about it the more I think it's a good idea, so I should find a soccer boyfriend or two...

Look like it's gonna be Tachibana moment to shine until the end of this anime, he has to solve the team conflict, while at the same time face his past at Musashino, he'll almost be a protagonist, can Aoi steal this position back to him? LOL
Aug 27, 2022 6:02 AM
May 2021
Damn I didn’t know Togashi’s beef with the promoted players goes back to when they were kids.

Also Ashito is going to decide whether to become a full time defender or go back as forward? Will that even sit well with Fukuda?

This is some huge buildup to the final 4 episodes. I’m ready for the struggles but this got a huge payoff written all over it.
Aug 27, 2022 6:26 AM
Apr 2018
Man... one episode wasted on stupid flashback.
Aug 27, 2022 6:50 AM
May 2018
LeoDrago said:

Also Ashito is going to decide whether to become a full time defender or go back as forward? Will that even sit well with Fukuda?

More like.. up until now he hasn't been doing it with full determination? Like just playing defender because the coaches told him to? Guess he's hoping to find something that will help him decide to fully commit to being a defender in the match.
Aug 27, 2022 7:07 AM

Nov 2013
phantomfandom said:
I still don't get why they're fighting but shouldn't Togashi brawl with Kuroda instead of Takeshima? I just hope there's no permanent damage from the brawling.

And Takeshima already bring girls to the match since elementary school? What a playboy! But who wouldn't want a potential pro soccer like him as a boyfriend? The more I think about it the more I think it's a good idea, so I should find a soccer boyfriend or two...

Look like it's gonna be Tachibana moment to shine until the end of this anime, he has to solve the team conflict, while at the same time face his past at Musashino, he'll almost be a protagonist, can Aoi steal this position back to him? LOL

Yeah it's confusing what the fuss is all about. But Togashi said it himself that it's the half-heartedness of the academy players he doesn't like, that they only play football to go pro (which is not wrong), playing differently depending on whether they are being watched by the coach or not. As for why he only brawl with Takeshima, it's just pure coincidence because they are playing together in the last match (Kuroda was in team A). Togashi hates both of them equally, probably more on Takeshima because he's not aware he's still playing academy football.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Aug 27, 2022 7:09 AM

Oct 2017
I gotta take Togashi's side on this one.
Aug 27, 2022 7:18 AM

Nov 2013
This episode again proves why people should read the manga. The manga takes the drama between Togashi and Kuroda/Takeshima more slow so you can feel its significant for their character development later..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Aug 27, 2022 7:40 AM
Jul 2020
This anime is great.
Aug 27, 2022 7:56 AM
Oct 2016
Filling in the backstory before this big match against Musashino. Learning how Togashi related to the established Esperion players and his beef with Takeshima. Togashi trying out for the Esperion youth team and seeing firsthand how mundane they are. How they're totally complacent with where they're at in skill level. Not acknowledging their weaknesses which are obvious from the outside looking in. They're all too concerned with going pro later on to see how they act in that current moment. Togashi words were hopefully a wake up call since it lingered in Takeshima mind all these years. Some of the players like Tachibana might be scared to face a team like Musashino but just have to give it their all.
Aug 27, 2022 8:06 AM
Aug 2015
Togashi is the best character, for sure
Aug 27, 2022 8:45 AM
Oct 2021
This episode truly delivered Production IG vibes. It finally felt like a sport series made by Production IG . I hope they stay consistent with production just like this episode. Their is no annoying still frames which were used to fill the runtime of the episode instead they actually animated all the character movements perfectly.
5/5
Aug 27, 2022 8:54 AM
Jul 2018
Damn, every episode is so good

I liked Kuroda before this episode but he seemed way too cynical to me and kinda fake, in a sense that he smiled because he wants too look good and now i see a more precise picture of him. Togashi isn't wrong but he has the fault of being easily angered and picks up fights

Academy players have the weakness of worrying more about looking good to coaches so to go up rather than trying to improve. The mentality of going pro has the advantage to create more chances to be a pro, always following coaches' orders, but at the expense of being chained to coach expectation and playing too safe and sometimes not improving. Togashi's mentality of trying your best makes you improve but has the risk of making you play horribly if it doesn't work and not going to pro because coaches want players who follow orders.

Tachibana finally realizes the support he gave to his friends is valuable and gained confidence, he didn't impress anybody until now but more than ever he wants to win. But today Ashito wins for having the best idea ever: let's have a picnic!
Aug 27, 2022 8:56 AM
Apr 2020
decent, but not amazing. Mostly there to flesh out other characters which makes it nice. Would be upset if it was a shorter season and an episode was waisted like this. In a sports anime however, with potentially multiple seasons, its the episodes like this which help the viewer care for the other characters.
Aug 27, 2022 9:04 AM
May 2018
BigBoya said:
This episode truly delivered Production IG vibes. It finally felt like a sport series made by Production IG . I hope they stay consistent with production just like this episode. Their is no annoying still frames which were used to fill the runtime of the episode instead they actually animated all the character movements perfectly.
5/5

the previous few episodes' animation wasn't the greatest, but I would be disappointed if the actual climax of this season - the match against the best team in their league - doesn't get better treatment. Here's hoping.
Aug 27, 2022 9:17 AM
Jan 2016
As much as I like to see drama in a sports anime, I think we are getting into the complicated land of feelings of each player. I'd very much appreciate it if it showed more play instead. Backstories and stuff at this point feel too much to me at least.
Aug 27, 2022 9:26 AM
Apr 2020
Never been a fan of episodes based around flashbacks but it was still good.
Aug 27, 2022 9:29 AM
Jul 2022
FUCK BACKSTORY FILLERS
Aug 27, 2022 9:49 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Anri smol, still looking like the usual heh

Ah yes finally the backstory. Been hanging on that long so it's nice to know what's going on between 'em. Awkward moment happen again to Aoi. But at least it's all over. Let's get to the game already!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 27, 2022 10:09 AM
May 2020
Togashi's backstory was very interesting, and sets the stage for a very exciting match.
Aug 27, 2022 10:47 AM
Apr 2022
BigBoya said:
5/5
wut u forgot ep 15 and 17 ?
lehuy0210Aug 27, 2022 10:55 AM
Aug 27, 2022 10:56 AM
Apr 2022
em_doubleyou said:
BigBoya said:
5/5

the previous few episodes' animation wasn't the greatest, but I would be disappointed if the actual climax of this season - the match against the best team in their league - doesn't get better treatment. Here's hoping.
it will better treament they already all in in cour 2 man
Aug 27, 2022 11:06 AM
Apr 2015
transitional episode. Low intensity compared to the previous ones
Aug 27, 2022 11:51 AM
Dec 2020
Great as always!!
Aug 27, 2022 11:58 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Now I understand why Togashi can't stand the promoted players because those guys don't play with the same intensity as him. I know these guys want to go pro by looking good for the coaching staff, but that limits their ability to get better after every match.
Aug 27, 2022 12:07 PM
Mar 2019
JUST WAITIN FOR MATCH
Aug 27, 2022 1:04 PM
Sep 2018
Dont want the background story!!!!
Aug 27, 2022 2:17 PM
Mar 2015
Ready for the big game
Aug 27, 2022 2:37 PM
Senpai

May 2021
this was the 20th episode and we got some backstory again. I believe now that they need a season 2, because they can't finish it with this pacing.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Aug 27, 2022 4:08 PM
Apr 2021
Togashi the mf goat
Aug 27, 2022 5:10 PM

Sep 2011
I see the merit to what Kuroda was saying but Togashi is 100% right. It'll be hard to go pro with the half-hearted mindset Kuroda and the others had when they were younger.
Aug 27, 2022 5:50 PM
Dec 2016
5/5 MC almost didn't talk
Aug 27, 2022 6:26 PM

May 2021
Wow, they gave Togashi such a good backstory, laying down his motivations and especially the animosity he feels towards the teammates. I have to say though, while its impressive that the anime is able to present both sides neutrally, Togashi did behave a lot like an a-hole.

Hope the rest of the cast gets fleshed out as well.

Aug 27, 2022 7:00 PM
Feb 2018
great episode, explored more on the side cast, some characters are developing. overall a masterpiece in work. cant wait for next episode. also the opening still isnt on spotify :(
Aug 27, 2022 7:03 PM

Dec 2020
i cant pick a side here, i understand both povs and their reasonings are reasonable but young esperion youth were fuckin assholes lol, even if its unintentional. though thats what makes it pretty scary. how they're doing it with no malicious intent whatsoever. but then again, they were young 11-13 y/o boys back then so i really hope they've reflected on it more. just like how takeshima did.

im so happy tachibana has picked himself up ahhhh great to see him not being super depressive and all that. im kinddda missing hana tho😞😞
Aug 27, 2022 8:50 PM
Ichigo’s Wife
Jan 2019
This episode was done really well! As someone who read the manga, I don't have any complaints.
Aug 27, 2022 9:47 PM
Feb 2020
togashi the goat no kizzy
Aug 27, 2022 11:31 PM
Dec 2021
I don't know man, this episode was alright i guess, i actually liked that they showed us the reasons of Togashi's hate towards the cadets, apart from the flashback which was alright, nothing too special.

Of course as an enjoyer and like everyone (Maybe), when i watch an episode of Ao Ashi, i always prefer matches before some lore episode (that's why i love captain Tsubasa), and this is not the case, but don't misunderstand me, it was ok.
Aug 28, 2022 1:09 AM

Jul 2020
Finally good to see Togashi's backstory

Wonder who I'd side with
Aug 28, 2022 2:34 AM
Jul 2021
I thought the episode was actually going to be the start of the Musashino match, but it's good to see that the team is trying to work through their inner conflicts to come together to turn their season around.

Ao Aishi gives me a real sense of empathy and nostalgia being a former soccer player who started out at local clubs as an outside midfielder/ attacking mid, then moved into the MLS academy program as an outside back, and was given a shot to go play internationally; so, in my perspective, I'm actually excited to see the next Aoi training episode for defending and seeing if they will teach him how to 1v1 defend or 2v1 defend. I would love to see a storyline where Aoi has gained confidence in his positional play for outside back, but then he goes head to head against a winger in a match that has insane skill moves that it takes 4 players to take the ball off of him. Like one of the great entertainers of football, such as Ronaldinho or a CR7 esque player. I believe that would really give him another push to keep learning more about the position and how important of a role that position plays as you get into higher level of competition in soccer,
Aug 28, 2022 2:45 AM
Jul 2022
Romangelo said:
Man... one episode wasted on stupid flashback.

you know right that this episode is clearing many stuffs and making us understand the situation and the problems? If you don't realize that then you're not fit to watch anime.
Aug 28, 2022 2:48 AM
Jul 2021
phantomfandom said:

Kuroda is being protected by the other promoted players because they believe that the way they were taught to play as children is the correct way to play. Togashi is challenging their style of play with his own, which, from a coach's perspective looking into the future, this conflict is a very good thing, if they over come it together. Reason I say this is because, if any of these players want to make it to the next level, they will have to encounter players just like Togashi, Kuroda and the promoted players. Players that are arrogant and stubborn to the way they play the game. Not saying that either of them are wrong, in fact, both are correct. That's the beauty of the game is that there are multiple ways to win games, whether its being calculated or being "balls to the walls;" Each player's style has to mesh with the other 11's in order to win the game. That's why you see the best team's in the world are not filled with players who came from the same background, they come from everywhere and they bring the best part's of each style together for a beautiful spectacle of team-play for 90 minutes. These players that are chosen are usually masters of all forms of styles of play, so if Aoi and they Esperion Youth Team want any chance to go pro, this obstacle is the their first stop at doing so.
Aug 28, 2022 2:52 AM

Oct 2008
inner conflicts really can't be avoided but rather face it and acknowledge your weaknesses!
5/5.

Aug 28, 2022 4:38 AM
Oct 2021
Amazing and good backstory, you guys are amazing!
Aug 28, 2022 5:27 AM
Apr 2020
caracter development insane lvl
Aug 28, 2022 5:33 AM
Nov 2021
it would be better if we could see the mc more
Aug 28, 2022 6:33 AM
Sep 2020
backstory was kinda mid
Aug 28, 2022 8:31 AM

Feb 2021
Oh boy, a Togashi backstory. Seems like Kuroda and Takeshima were quite cocky when they were young. Poor Togashi felt really humiliated and inferior to them. I mean they were talking down to him at least in some instances.

Togashi straight-up beating up Takeshima after the match was wrong though. Words should always come before violence.

Looks like Tachibana's words got through to most of the team. But Togashi and Kuroda are still not in the right mood and mindset for the upcoming match.

Aoi's playing style will finally be decided in the Musashino match. I'm still sure he'll embrace the role of a defender since it's more logical and will help him go much further in the long run.

Aug 28, 2022 12:38 PM

Dec 2018
this whole togashi and red dude conflict kinda annoying
If you rated Jujutsu Kaisen a 10/10, then your opinion is not valid.

AOT>FMAB
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Ashi Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 2, 2022

136 by Animeniac1 »»
Yesterday, 4:07 PM

» Second season announcement

Ale054 - Nov 7, 2022

12 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 24, 11:59 AM

» Will hana and ashito fall in love?

Weebhpk - Jun 25, 2022

16 by axou12 »»
Apr 22, 6:14 AM

Poll: » Ao Ashi Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Sep 24, 2022

225 by Shantanubarman »»
Apr 17, 11:36 PM

Poll: » Ao Ashi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - May 28, 2022

56 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 1, 1:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.