Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online Progressive (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 21, 2022 6:36 PM
Apr 2009
Apologies in advance to the fans of this series. Not trying to start an argument. Just want to know if it's worth my time to read further.

Background: I am reading the original SAO series, currently through 22 volumes. After watching the first SAO:P movie, which I enjoyed, I decided to start the books...

…and unfortunately, volume 1 was a massive disappointment for me. The lack of backstory for Asuna which I felt was the best part of the movie was a huge let down. This by comparison was incredibly dull to read. The second story (Rondo) was even worse. Probably one of the most uninteresting plots I have ever had to trudge through, and it felt like it would never end. The payoff at the boss fight was okay, but not even close to worth it. I forced myself to finish the volume so at least I could make a decision as to whether to read volume 2 if it got better, rather than simply have to drop it.

I guess the question is does the narrative get more interesting in subsequent volumes? Or does it just feel like the same old routine of Kirito and Asuna solving some problems, getting into a few awkward situations, and ultimately beating the floor boss? Because this formula I think got stale before it even finished its first cycle. Does Kawahara actually attempt any character development? Are there some good dialogue scenes? Are there any interesting scenarios that happen which aren't a slog to get through?

I understand this is all subjective, but hopefully someone can relate!
Aug 1, 2022 1:32 AM
May 2021
zeeroid said:
Apologies in advance to the fans of this series. Not trying to start an argument. Just want to know if it's worth my time to read further.

Background: I am reading the original SAO series, currently through 22 volumes. After watching the first SAO:P movie, which I enjoyed, I decided to start the books...

…and unfortunately, volume 1 was a massive disappointment for me. The lack of backstory for Asuna which I felt was the best part of the movie was a huge let down. This by comparison was incredibly dull to read. The second story (Rondo) was even worse. Probably one of the most uninteresting plots I have ever had to trudge through, and it felt like it would never end. The payoff at the boss fight was okay, but not even close to worth it. I forced myself to finish the volume so at least I could make a decision as to whether to read volume 2 if it got better, rather than simply have to drop it.

I guess the question is does the narrative get more interesting in subsequent volumes? Or does it just feel like the same old routine of Kirito and Asuna solving some problems, getting into a few awkward situations, and ultimately beating the floor boss? Because this formula I think got stale before it even finished its first cycle. Does Kawahara actually attempt any character development? Are there some good dialogue scenes? Are there any interesting scenarios that happen which aren't a slog to get through?

I understand this is all subjective, but hopefully someone can relate!

Volume 4, Scherzo of Deep Night (Floor 5) is the best Progressive. You should check it out.
Aug 3, 2022 10:47 PM

May 2021
Yes, it does get better but I'm not sure if you will like it. At least read the first 6 volumes.

Sep 6, 2022 5:47 PM
Dec 2021
RioFS said:
Yes, it does get better but I'm not sure if you will like it. At least read the first 6 volumes.
are there more kirisuna stuff
Sep 6, 2022 5:55 PM

May 2021
paeanblotch said:
RioFS said:

Lots of kirisuna stuff.

Sep 7, 2022 12:11 AM
Dec 2021
RioFS said:
paeanblotch said:

Lots of kirisuna stuff.
okay so I'm starting volume 1 right now 👍🏻
By the way who is the main lead here...kirito or asuna
Sep 7, 2022 3:48 AM

May 2021
paeanblotch said:
RioFS said:

Lots of kirisuna stuff.

I think Kirito was technically the main lead but after a certain point, they both are essentially the main leads.

Sep 7, 2022 4:04 AM
Dec 2021
RioFS said:
paeanblotch said:

I think Kirito was technically the main lead but after a certain point, they both are essentially the main leads.
i guess our boy is OP as usual
Sep 7, 2022 12:31 PM

May 2021
paeanblotch said:
RioFS said:

Not as much as in the anime since he's a bit low-leveled but still pretty OP.

Sep 23, 2022 9:16 AM
Apr 2009
kset280 said:
Volume 4, Scherzo of Deep Night (Floor 5) is the best Progressive. You should check it out.

RioFS said:

Thanks for the replies! Forgot I posted this thread so only seeing them now. 😂
Oct 10, 2022 7:46 AM

Oct 2020
Floor 3 (volume 2) will be totally new for you, a new story. The base of the Elf war arc,, but Floor 5 is my favourite till now I've read only 6volumes and yeah, it gets better with time. Keep reading bud. Just enjoy the story with a cup of tea.

And if you're reading vol 22 (Kiss & Fly) did u find the backstory of The Sleeping Knights satisfactory after knowing the story of Mother's Rosario?

And what r ur opinions on Unital Ring?
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Nov 1, 2022 11:06 AM
Jul 2021
paeanblotch said:
RioFS said:

I would say it’s because of skills that he were able to keep his performance high.

Also, in Progressive, you get to see he got thrown left, right and center so him being overpowered later doesn’t feel too cliche or something around that. It’s naturally a result from non-stop training and experience from the actual constant assault he had to deal with to save his life
Stonks

More topics from this board

» Why is Mito in the characters list

PaperCutAssassin - Aug 31, 2021

12 by KinjiKido »»
Nov 25, 2022 4:45 AM

» Scherzo of Deep Night(thread)

ApacheSnow69 - Aug 6, 2022

0 by ApacheSnow69 »»
Aug 6, 2022 4:38 PM

» To any mods

RayRaivern - Jul 12, 2022

0 by RayRaivern »»
Jul 12, 2022 3:13 PM

» Any news or idea on when more volumes will come out?

RisickWinters - Mar 3, 2022

3 by Abysmal_Saint76 »»
Apr 13, 2022 6:24 PM

» Just a question about how to mark this on the Manga List

DYNEadvance - Dec 8, 2021

2 by RioFS »»
Jan 16, 2022 5:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.