Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 7, 2022 11:52 PM

Jun 2021
BaronBrixius said:
It's episode 5 and I still have no idea the hell people have against this show, it's a top-tier fluff romcom.

Yeah I feel you bro
May 8, 2022 12:21 AM

Apr 2017
I just can't watch this series without x2 speed anymore. The anime feels kinda... idk, lacking a direction? It's a slice of life but it's really too slice of life. Like nothing is really happening. Other slice of life has a lot of comedic moments here and there to keep things interesting but this one is really lacking in all sort of ways. I can't put my finger on what's really missing but it's just boring and uninteresting to me.

I didn't feel it that way in the manga because we could read it at our own pace, and Shikimori's cool faces were highlight of the earlier chapters, but in the anime it's stretched out for 20minutes so it's kinda like 1 or 2 minutes for the cool Shikimori, and the rest of 18 minutes of absolutely dull conversations.

I hope Kamiya's arc later on will save this series for me. At least, there's something to discuss about.
May 8, 2022 12:30 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Usual summer vacation vibe on the river isn't complete enough without doing barbecue. Its nice having Izumi have been more useful than such a few episodes before, making him good at cook and trying hard to help that poor child that being swept away out of blue. Though he still suffered from an undeniable bad luck and almost die as the result of his action trying to act cool. At least i got to see more of Michon coolness, even though its not that much this time, and her possessiveness always bring such a tickling moment around especially since Izumi always ended up on a bad luck xd. Talk about Shikimori possessive mode, the train scene really giving me such a dejavu vibe though, idk why. Maybe because its both not that far airing from each other? Oh well, and Hachimitsu continue bringing such a different relatable mood on the air, look at her in the end couldn't even walk alone xd...

What's next? Summer festival? Alright, then!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 8, 2022 1:40 AM

Jun 2021
Obviously Shikimori and Izumi are great couple, but Nekozaki and Bakubro have such a good chemistry together.
May 8, 2022 2:49 AM

Nov 2016
Dull episodes. There's nothing new to unveil from what we've already known, and also the conflicts was forced.
May 8, 2022 4:34 AM
Oct 2019
Damn Barbeque in a River... made me hungry watching this episode.

Shikimori can't cook, so that's why we have her taking cooking class in last episode.

another fun and wholesome episode...
bye bye depression

May 8, 2022 5:36 AM

Aug 2017
I just knew Izumi was going to cramp up, we always need at least 1 unfortunate event per episode. Also what on earth happened to Izumi at the end? Did he get some ice cream or did he have to go home ice-cream-less?

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
May 8, 2022 5:55 AM

Feb 2014
CQLLIST said:

Also no doubt Hachimitsu best character for sure

Best in the show. Hail Hachinyan.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

May 8, 2022 6:34 AM

Jul 2021
One of the better episodes. Enjoyed this a lot more than others.

It's time for the river-trip and it sure was fun. Would have never guessed that Izumi is a good cook, I mean cooking involves using knives, being near fire and stuff.

Liked Shikimori's protectiveness this episode.

The part where the little girl starts bonking Izumi on head got me good.

The ice-cream part uhh, sad that Shikimori didn't get to taste Izumi's.

This episode was surprisingly very funny, I would say the best episode till now.

When I saw the empty train and saw how all of them were tired, that scene was literally screaming the "sleeping on shoulder" scene, I expected that and they delivered, it really was great, first Shikimori sleeps on Izumi's shoulder and then the way Shikimori (after checking several times that no one is looking) puts Izumi's head on her shoulder was great. The male MC might not be great but scenes like these make up for everything, I live for these scenes in romcoms. 5/5. Had to upgrade my rating from 7/10 to 8/10 with this episode.
TsutanaiFuunMay 8, 2022 6:37 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 8, 2022 6:48 AM

May 2020
man izumi is one lucky mf

May 8, 2022 6:49 AM

Aug 2008
This anime is so damn boring even for a slice of life there is absolutely nothing that makes it stand out in any way. A few cute shots of Shikimori does not make up for an episode of drudgery. So tempting to drop this.

Can a manga reader tell me if the anime will continue like this or will there be some kind of spark to have something, anything happen to make this just a little interesting?
May 8, 2022 6:54 AM

Oct 2016
What a wholesome episode, had me smiling throughout it.

I live for these wholesome anime friend groups, and Hachimitsu is just gold.

Feels good to see Izumi finally get the respect he so rightfully deserve, dude is a lowkey chad.

Aye yo, Shikimori licking her fingers not only did something to Izumi, but to all of us as well, Jesus girl, Izumi definitely the bottom and that is fine ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Inu really tryna pick a fight with Shikimori lmao. Very wholesome train ride, nothing like a good ol legs giving out after a trip. Really looking forward to the next episode!
May 8, 2022 6:55 AM

Apr 2022
davidyodo24 said:

Shikimori can't cook, so that's why we have her taking cooking class in last episode.

bye bye depression

The perfect waifu stuff who can't cook is soo cliche, lol.
May 8, 2022 6:57 AM
Oct 2019
Kene_M said:
davidyodo24 said:

bye bye depression

The perfect waifu stuff who can't cook is soo cliche, lol.

Nobody is perfect lol
May 8, 2022 7:10 AM

Jan 2013
PukingMachines said:
I mean, it's not a bad series, but it doesn't go anywhere and the characters are kinda just there, i'll probably finish it, but man, i was expecting more.
It's a school/SOL series, where do you expect it to go? If you don't enjoy the characters or their interactions, there's not much else here.

GakutoDeathGlare said:
Now I feel like I understand the complaints about the "damsel in distress" trope a little better, especially from a Women's point of view. Now that's it reversed and being overplayed every damn episode, it comes across as extremely pathetic lol...

Was already rolling my eyes once we saw Izumi in the river....
I would wager that you're finding it much more intolerable because the genders are reversed, as most people don't think a woman is pathetic for being rescued, but I suppose that may vary.

Aroo-nyan said:
Dull episodes. There's nothing new to unveil from what we've already known, and also the conflicts was forced.
The man has supernatural bad luck for absolutely no reason, are you just realizing that the conflict is forced? lol
LostSpectreMay 8, 2022 7:14 AM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 8, 2022 7:20 AM
Jun 2017
Good but Hachimitsu stealing the show as always lmao.
May 8, 2022 7:21 AM

Nov 2016
LostSpectre said:
Aroo-nyan said:
The man has supernatural bad luck for absolutely no reason, are you just realizing that the conflict is forced? lol
No. It supposed to be a gimmicks or be a part of the jokes, now it became an excuses for terribly lazy writing which means progressively the series became worse and worse.
May 8, 2022 7:25 AM

Jan 2013
gswelcome said:
This anime is so damn boring even for a slice of life there is absolutely nothing that makes it stand out in any way. A few cute shots of Shikimori does not make up for an episode of drudgery. So tempting to drop this.

Can a manga reader tell me if the anime will continue like this or will there be some kind of spark to have something, anything happen to make this just a little interesting?
If the last two episodes haven't been an improvement for you, then drop it. The manga just hits different, the anime doesn't really capture what makes it great. The simple "comic strip" sort of vibe works great in the manga, but this adaptation feels dull in a lot of ways. I would also say that the manga is at least 50% carried by the art, and the anime doesn't even come close.

Now, the stuff coming up does get more serious, so maybe that would interest you, but I have no idea what they'll do next episode in this adaptation.
LostSpectreMay 8, 2022 7:59 AM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 8, 2022 7:27 AM

Jan 2013
Aroo-nyan said:
LostSpectre said:
No. It supposed to be a gimmicks or be a part of the jokes, now it became an excuses for terribly lazy writing which means progressively the series became worse and worse.
It's a joke when they want it to be funny, and it's a plot device when they want to give Shikimori an excuse to do something cool, but it's just not that serious.
May 8, 2022 7:31 AM
Aug 2015
Nice nice
So when are they going to reveal her real first name?
She’s only been called by her nickname so far.
May 8, 2022 7:35 AM

Jan 2013
2x9 said:
Nice nice
Why do you think the girl with the dark hair always calls her Micchon?
May 8, 2022 8:11 AM
Aug 2015
LostSpectre said:
2x9 said:
Nice nice

Micchon is definitely a nickname. It’s common in Japan to have nicknames like that. And I believe her mom also calls her a different nickname. Idk why no one calls her by her real first name though.
May 8, 2022 8:19 AM

Jan 2013
2x9 said:
LostSpectre said:

Micchon is definitely a nickname. It’s common in Japan to have nicknames like that. And I believe her mom also calls her a different nickname. Idk why no one calls her by her real first name though.
That's listed as her official name, so I'm not really sure what to tell you.
May 8, 2022 8:23 AM
Apr 2021
It`s so childish and stupid. Shikimori hesitate to show swimsuit for her boyfriend! Shiki, look at Marin!
May 8, 2022 8:25 AM

Jan 2013
2x9 said:
LostSpectre said:
That's listed as her official name, so I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Yeah it is because her real name hasn’t been revealed.
That's just not true according to official sources. Careful now, your post count is coming up on 10, and you've had that account for 7 years.
May 8, 2022 8:27 AM
Apr 2021
BaronBrixius said:
It's episode 5 and I still have no idea the hell people have against this show, it's a top-tier fluff romcom.

Low-tier and way too fluffy
May 8, 2022 8:56 AM

Nov 2017
I'd like to know, where is the location of this episode irl?

plz @ me
May 8, 2022 9:00 AM

Apr 2021
What's getting my attention recently is Hachimitsu. Idk, I'm really liking her mood and facial expression. I guess what's drawing my attention to her even more is her eyes like it's inviting me to just look at it LMAO

May 8, 2022 9:35 AM

Jan 2013
024 said:
I'd like to know, where is the location of this episode irl?
Someone mentioned something along those lines on the first page.
May 8, 2022 11:24 AM

Mar 2021
As a SoL enjoyer I really wanted to like this show, but it really is getting kinda repetitive. The show only runs with a single gag and it gets old really fast. The supporting characters aren't helping at all and seeing the same thing occur in a different scenario just makes this show a slog to watch. Would do my best not to drop this and I really hope this would get better.
May 8, 2022 11:43 AM

Feb 2014
A Shikimori episode where the satisfaction rating is actually decent? About damn time, too!

I'll say that this is the best episode so far. The trip to the town by the river looked beautiful and relaxing. The group had great fun by making delicious barbecue food before spending the afternoon playing in the river. Hachimitsu almost stole the episode for me as not only were her expressions during the barbecue setting up made me smile, but her bikini entrance by laying in a clam shell was rather awesome, too. =D

Izumi showed that he wasn't useless, either. He proved to be a strong cook and he didn't hesitate to jumping into a river to save a loli from being swept away by the currents. However, he got leg cramp and he had to be saved by Shikimori in the end. Still, I laughed when Shikimori got jealous at the loli who gave Izumi a kiss on his cheek for saving her. =3

The visit to the ice-cream shop was really cute, too. Shikimori can't avoid the brain freeze, but I do love how she gave off an awesome grin despite the pain. Same goes for the train trip back home, where all of the group succumbed to sleep at one point, which gave off some very cute moments.
May 8, 2022 11:49 AM

Dec 2018
Well, a better episode than the previous episodes. The only personality that I love about Shikimori's is her teasing personality. Izumi shows his advantage in this episode, and it's miracle he's fine with knife.... And Izumi with his dad is still alive with the clumsy mom....

May 8, 2022 12:26 PM

Aug 2019
Was Hachimitsu carrying a gun lmao

She literally said “say the word if you’re hurt” to Izumi and you know what that means
May 8, 2022 12:27 PM

Jul 2016
And here I was hoping for Inuzuka to be a good cook just like Bakugou :/

Overall, conventional river/"beach" episode but still pretty enjoyable nonetheless.
May 8, 2022 12:46 PM

Oct 2018
Okay, where the hell is the fanservice? I can't believe Shikimori-san bought that bikini and we didn't have a good scene.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 8, 2022 1:24 PM

Jan 2020
manimad said:
Animillion said:

It’s the mc. Shikimori is fine, but the mc being unlucky all the time isn’t really funny. I think it’s a 7/10, nothing too special but not too bad either

Agreed. Imo Doga Kobo's 'My senpai is annoying" was much better.

It’s not even a comparison. That show was actually pretty funny and sweet, and although that series didn’t have a Mary Sue type Waifu in it, all of the characters had more life than any of the ones in this series, especially the male mcs.
May 8, 2022 1:27 PM

Jan 2020
Zarathul said:
It`s so childish and stupid. Shikimori hesitate to show swimsuit for her boyfriend! Shiki, look at Marin!

Lol, Marin has a completely different personality. Also, although she isn’t as perfect as Shikimori, she’s more entertaining to watch
May 8, 2022 1:55 PM

Apr 2022
Animillion said:
Zarathul said:

Lol, Marin has a completely different personality. Also, although she isn’t as perfect as Shikimori, she’s more entertaining to watch

At least she is better at cooking.
May 8, 2022 1:58 PM
Aug 2020
watcher_exe said:
this what's I've been waiting for awww u lucky/unlucky guy izumi damm

This scene took my heart away😍😍😭
May 8, 2022 2:24 PM

Mar 2018
definitely feeling like a shoujo series, way too cringy for me personally, some parts had me wincing, 4/10 so far but ill stick with it like always
May 8, 2022 4:28 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Best episode so far easily.
May 8, 2022 5:53 PM

Oct 2011
not specifically related to this episode... but I love Hachimitsu... it's like she is that typical expressionless character, but instead of a serious blank face, she is always smiling, XD

Ronin-erranteMay 8, 2022 6:06 PM
May 8, 2022 5:59 PM

Aug 2021
The day they all spent on the river, the fun they had and so on was great, there was almost a problem but they overcame it and, to tell the truth, for them it was a great day at the end, very good.
May 8, 2022 6:14 PM

Mar 2022
Pretty enjoyable episode, a bit of stiff dialogue here and there even with friends, pace felt a bit slugish but anyway... Trains during sunsets seem to bring romantics out of people .D and Hatchimitsu is mvp of the episode

HOWEVER... the morons adapting and adding to this outdid themselves again.

So, in the manga, Izu get cramp while swimming to the rescue and he sinks. Ok...
Here... he swims, gets girl to safety, starts climbing the river bank, gets cramp while climbing...
*checks notes*
LET GO OF THE RIVER BANK (that was climbed by a 7 year old moment ago) and throws himself back in the water
dies if not for Shikimori
its almost insulting

Next week is the summer festival I hope. Really sweet arc, kimonos, dad and The Mom again, tropes galore, I hope they do not destroy it with needless s**t. Just give me that rom, because com is obviousy not working.
May 8, 2022 6:31 PM

Sep 2011
CQLLIST said:
At least Izumi can cook for sure.

AhriTheS3xyFox said:
i'm still not a fan of Izumi's voice.

Also no doubt Hachimitsu best character for sure

Facts right here. Hachimitsu is best girl
May 8, 2022 6:40 PM

Jan 2013
BAKUNAUA said:
As a SoL enjoyer I really wanted to like this show, but it really is getting kinda repetitive. The show only runs with a single gag and it gets old really fast. The supporting characters aren't helping at all and seeing the same thing occur in a different scenario just makes this show a slog to watch. Would do my best not to drop this and I really hope this would get better.
You call yourself a SoL enjoyer, but this whole episode was a slice of life where they just have fun at the river. The "gag" you're talking about wasn't even used for comedy this episode, so I don't understand what your issue really is with it. Are you really that offended that they put Izumi in a situation where Shikimori gets to do something cool? If you still hate the show after the halfway point, then quit torturing yourself.

Sun_Chan said:
Was Hachimitsu carrying a gun lmao

She literally said “say the word if you’re hurt” to Izumi and you know what that means
First aid kit, but close enough, I guess.
May 8, 2022 6:43 PM
Apr 2022
SugoiDekaiOppai said:
Just give me that rom, because com is obviousy not working.

Yes. I wouldnt call drowning and being saved in the freakin nick of time comedy for fcuking freakin sake. Not funny at all. Even Shikimori was so worried she was going to lose him, she was angry and looks like she was about to cry/tear up, and so was I. One of the girls was also in tears, and the other guy was mad too.

Please relabel this show as a horror/thriller.
thehornedratMay 8, 2022 6:49 PM
May 8, 2022 7:28 PM

Aug 2008
LostSpectre said:
gswelcome said:

If the last two episodes haven't been an improvement for you, then drop it. The manga just hits different, the anime doesn't really capture what makes it great. The simple "comic strip" sort of vibe works great in the manga, but this adaptation feels dull in a lot of ways. I would also say that the manga is at least 50% carried by the art, and the anime doesn't even come close.

Now, the stuff coming up does get more serious, so maybe that would interest you, but I have no idea what they'll do next episode in this adaptation.

I think you're right if this is the format the show will continue to have there is no reason to annoy myself in watching something I don't enjoy. Disappointing, was really hoping for some kind of reveal regarding Shikimori given her ability to save her bf all the time but I guess its just for the "awwwww" and the role reversal. No substance to be found here at all or even relationship advancement. Standard old style blushing while holding hands nonsense.
May 8, 2022 7:29 PM

Mar 2021
LostSpectre said:
You call yourself a SoL enjoyer, but this whole episode was a slice of life where they just have fun at the river. The "gag" you're talking about wasn't even used for comedy this episode, so I don't understand what your issue really is with it. Are you really that offended that they put Izumi in a situation where Shikimori gets to do something cool? If you still hate the show after the halfway point, then quit torturing yourself.

I don't remember saying anything that I hate this show lol. What I'm saying is this show is really repetitive and if you consider that as hate, then that's not my problem anymore. Yes, I enjoy SoL shows but it ain't my fault if this show isn't as good as Doga Kobo's My Senpai is annoying or other shows of the same genre.
May 8, 2022 7:53 PM

Jan 2013
gswelcome said:
LostSpectre said:

I think you're right if this is the format the show will continue to have there is no reason to annoy myself in watching something I don't enjoy. Disappointing, was really hoping for some kind of reveal regarding Shikimori given her ability to save her bf all the time but I guess its just for the "awwwww" and the role reversal. No substance to be found here at all or even relationship advancement. Standard old style blushing while holding hands nonsense.
There's a reveal that explains her agility/reflexes, but not really why she's good at everything athletic, kind of like how there's no reason that Izumi is cursed by the gods. I don't agree that there's no substance or advancement, it's still early in the "story" but I'm not convinced that's going to turn the show around for you, and there's no telling how they're going to adapt the coming chapters, they're just doing whatever they want to at this point.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2022

107 by ad0rablegoat »»
Apr 19, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2022

351 by HollowP03 »»
Apr 16, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2022

223 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 31, 3:49 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

116 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 1:03 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2022

98 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 11:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.