Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 26, 2022 10:51 AM
Aug 2012
Why do I really like My Dress up Darling?

It has some real romance. Marin admitted she is in love with Gojo and is comfortable around him. Gojo isn't overly shy like most boys in romance.

This is a romance that progresses. Nearly all other so-called romance series stories depend on the relationship never going anywhere. Both boy and girl both must be shy the whole time.

I have only watched the first season of Love is War, but I bet the relationship between the 2 main characters go nowhere in season 2 and 3. Why? The series depends on that relationship never going anywhere. That is why I don't plan on watching season 2 or 3.

If there is a season 2 (or if I were to read the manga) Marin and Gojo would become closer together I think. That is why I love this series over others.
Mar 26, 2022 10:59 AM

Apr 2017
i don't even follow this series or intend to even watch it but it feels like this thread has been made too many times
Mar 26, 2022 11:17 AM
Jul 2018
MugenDarou said:
for me, i think it's that the characters are realistic and don't seem yknow too awkward or too confident like in some shows, other than than I'm a fan of romcoms anyway so I've seen a good number of them and this one just hits better, maybe it's cus it's my first one with the girl falling in love openly first. and yes the cosplay is a big part of it for me ngl cus i appreciate the art of cloth making alot, oh and can't forget that romcom + ecchi = success

So you’re telling me the characters in this anime are realistic 😂😂😂😂 Kitagawa strips in front of gojou in episode 2, so tell me which girl you’ve just met is comfortable enough to do that with you??? Gojou has never been to a beach, never seen ice lollies make people’s tongue change colour and etc etc. Gojou is a self insert mc which many weeb teenagers can relate to because he doesn’t get girls and he’s a shut-in who somehow “realistically” manages to impress a girl way out of his league in school. There’s nothing realistic about this anime, these kinds of things only happen in anime so please don’t say realism as some sort of half baked justification as to why you like this anime. You like Rom-coms in general which is why you like this so there’s you’re reason and there’s nothing unique about this anime besides the cosplay which feels more like a filler to gojou and kitagawa’s actual love story. I’m not hating on you but let’s not pretend this anime is something revolutionary because so many rom coms contain the fireworks festival, shower ecchi moments and the pointless dragging on of a confession between the main couple. Feel free to reply because I want to hear your thoughts.
Mar 26, 2022 11:26 AM
Time Traveler

Jun 2016
-The animation is very beautiful.
-Both main character are passionate about something (and watching someone doing something they are passionate about is something I really enjoy)
-It's a wholesome feel-good type of show
Hey you!
Yes you!
Have a nice day!
And best wishes for your life's journey!

Mar 26, 2022 12:50 PM

May 2021
Because I really liked its theme of self-acceptance and Gojo's growth, small tho that may be.

Swagernator said:

One could argue that you must be an expert on being cringe, since you are a fan of Kiyotaka Ayanokouji.

Ironic coming from someone having Waver in his favourites.

Mar 26, 2022 2:27 PM
Apr 2021
The fanservice Fanservice
Mar 26, 2022 8:31 PM

Mar 2017
Honestly, after I watched the film The Spectacular Now, my bar for teenage conversation and relationship realism was raised high, such that most teenage rom coms will almost always fail to live up to the bar. Especially anime (my top 2 rom coms in my favorites shy away from realism to focus on comedy which I appreciate). This series is no exception. So I don't really understand why people say its realistic romance. But I can say one thing, Marin is atypical in the anime rom com meta. Very few are that open and confident in their bodies (not even Nagatoro is like this, teasing is all she is good for). Marin, for the lack of a better word, feels positively "Western" in a few of her scenes. That is part of the freshness people feel in this series.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Mar 26, 2022 8:59 PM
Oct 2020
panpakez said:
The main characters arent the most annoying people ever and are actually likeable and realistic. Lets compare it to some shows that have had simular sudden booms of popularity in the genre.
- Komi Cant Communicate has the issue of the main character being extremly bland. You can be normal without being the butt of every single joke.
In Dress up Darling the two main characters have their own interests and traits.
- Nagatoro has the issue of the main character being the weakest little baby I've ever seen, to the point where I didn't even finish it.
In Dress Up Darling, the characters support each others interests and speak up.
- The Quinntisential Quintupplets main character is a character I actively root against. He is boring and a nerd.
In Dress Up Darling, despite the main character constantly working on his hobby, he doesn't put it over the interest right in front of him. He actually acts like a human.

Its one of the few recent shows where both the main character and love interest actually get along and don't have unncessarcy problems.

what about horimiya?for me I think horimiya was good but there was something lacking and the series felt rushed and all of a sudden side characters where more important
Compared to my dress up I don't even remember most the side character, it showed most toward their relationships and that's what I like it more
Mar 29, 2022 10:25 AM
Jan 2021
mariox7777 said:

It has some real romance. Marin admitted she is in love with Gojo and is comfortable around him. Gojo isn't overly shy like most boys in romance.

This is a romance that progresses. Nearly all other so-called romance series stories depend on the relationship never going anywhere. Both boy and girl both must be shy the whole time.

I have only watched the first season of Love is War, but I bet the relationship between the 2 main characters go nowhere in season 2 and 3. Why? The series depends on that relationship never going anywhere. That is why I don't plan on watching season 2 or 3.

If there is a season 2 (or if I were to read the manga) Marin and Gojo would become closer together I think. That is why I love this series over others.
Firstly, to say there is romantic development in Dress up Darling is nearly laughable. It is very typical of romance mcs to admit love for their love interest, but not do much beyond that. Such is the case with Dress up Darling. Furthermore, there is more romantic development than you can even imagine in Love is War. with one of the best arcs in romance manga.

OremonogatariMar 29, 2022 10:31 AM
Mar 29, 2022 11:31 AM
Aug 2021
Got into it cause of a character named Kitagawa Marin and after that I really liked it. Good non-serious stuff enjoyment
Mar 29, 2022 1:40 PM
Feb 2021
billybub said:
Amer-gg said:

because the manga is not doing the anime justice

Umm what? You do realize the anime is BASED on the manga right?
you do realize it is a joke?
Mar 29, 2022 4:40 PM
Jul 2014
This bullshit has an 8.47 rating. By Allah, you people are dogs! I will go on as usual.
Mar 29, 2022 5:06 PM
Apr 2021
Waifus. Fanservice
Mar 29, 2022 5:07 PM

Oct 2021
Eanki said:
Honestly, after I watched the film The Spectacular Now, my bar for teenage conversation and relationship realism was raised high, such that most teenage rom coms will almost always fail to live up to the bar. Especially anime (my top 2 rom coms in my favorites shy away from realism to focus on comedy which I appreciate). This series is no exception. So I don't really understand why people say its realistic romance. But I can say one thing, Marin is atypical in the anime rom com meta. Very few are that open and confident in their bodies (not even Nagatoro is like this, teasing is all she is good for). Marin, for the lack of a better word, feels positively "Western" in a few of her scenes. That is part of the freshness people feel in this series.

What about uzaki? You can't be more confident than putting "sugoi dekai" in your clothes.
Mar 29, 2022 5:35 PM

Feb 2017
Imo rom-coms being kinda simple and not unique is fine. The premise isn't the important part for these types of shows, the characters are. And the leads in this are pretty likeable and cute. I think it's a sign of a good rom-com that it's fun even when it's just showing the characters hanging out together.
And the animation is really nice looking too.
Mar 29, 2022 9:40 PM
Aug 2021
Oremonogatari said:
mariox7777 said:

Firstly, to say there is romantic development in Dress up Darling is nearly laughable. It is very typical of romance mcs to admit love for their love interest, but not do much beyond that. Such is the case with Dress up Darling. Furthermore, there is more romantic development than you can even imagine in Love is War. with one of the best arcs in romance manga.

Bro people just dont always want to go OHHH THIS PLOT IS AMAZING and OHH THIS ARC IS ONE OF THE BEST ROMANCE ARCS I HAVE EVER SEEN like no, sometimes people just want to relax their minds by watching something not so serious stuff
Mar 29, 2022 9:43 PM

May 2014
I just find it entertaining.
Mar 29, 2022 10:13 PM

Jan 2021
I don't actually.
Gave it a 5
Mar 29, 2022 10:22 PM
Aug 2020
Satyr_icon said:
Achillesheels said:
You sound exactly like a jerk with a stick up his ass who can't accept that people are allowed to have different opinions. Your opinion is not a fact either.

You sound like the kind of guy who wears any shoe that sees fit.

You sound like an edgelord with issues honestly, hope you get that sorted out.
Mar 30, 2022 12:44 PM

Jan 2018
People like this show because it has an attractive 2D female character.

That is all.
Mar 30, 2022 3:44 PM
Feb 2020
average? lmao pfft,this is above average and deserved its score,this aint masterpiece for sure but average? nah.

nowadays anime TRASH is called average,why we got those trash harem(nisekoi,gotoubun,rent girlfriend etc),trash isekai(sao,arifureta and all its clone) that ppl think they are "average",meanwhile good series thats above average now its also called average too.
Mar 31, 2022 12:33 AM
Jan 2021
zerokarasu said:
average? lmao pfft,this is above average and deserved its score,this aint masterpiece for sure but average? nah.

nowadays anime TRASH is called average,why we got those trash harem(nisekoi,gotoubun,rent girlfriend etc),trash isekai(sao,arifureta and all its clone) that ppl think they are "average",meanwhile good series thats above average now its also called average too.
I don’t understand how you can think this is any better then Nisekoi, and that its better than TQQ? This series is painfully average, this is the stance I have now concluded on.
Mar 31, 2022 10:29 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
The thread has been cleaned.
Apr 14, 2022 3:27 AM
May 2018
The anti simp brigade sometimes is as dumb or cringe as the simps. This show has fan service that much should be obvious after all its a ecchi rom com, but it’s more than fan service or wish fulfillment it does a great job of showing people being passionate about their hobbies. That’s what the main relationship is built on that mutual respect and admiration for each other interests, both characters are way less unidimensional than most of your favorite rom com protagonists probably. For being as ecchi as it is it never really goes a harem route or something. The main couple are clear from the beginning and they make a good amount of progression on this 12 episodes.

For the ones criticizing people for only watching this because of the sexy stuff or the waifu element, y’all really did an awful job just focusing on that as well. This wasn’t a masterpieces but it was easily a cut above most of the seasonal anime. Want proof of that I bet this will have more staying power in the community than most seasonal anime that is pumped out each season and it will age like fine wine all those low reviews will over time be replaced when hating on this isn’t the “cool” opinion to have.

I really pray to allah Jesus or anyone that will listen that all the people overthinking over the interactions of the protagonists realize the comedy tag comes along with some expected cliches (crazy to have to explain this to people that hate watch more than 2000 anime for internet points). to me hyper fixating on things typical from the comedy genre is as idiotic as someone saying Slice of Life is boring because it doesn’t have action. Don’t over think it its entertainment, not everything need to follow French new wave ideals in order for you to be able enjoy it without being self conscious.
AnimendezApr 14, 2022 3:44 AM
Apr 14, 2022 10:51 AM
Aug 2016
Oremonogatari said:
I had been reading this manga from before an adaptation got announced, and had thought that it was simply an average rom-com. The only unique thing about it that stood out was the fact that they used cosplaying as a main point in the series. Despite this, I see many people declaring this show to be a superb rom-com. I’d like to appreciate it more, so please tell me what aspects were your favourite in the series.

As an anime-only, here is what I felt are the biggest pros of the anime:
- Good animation
- Wholesome relationship between Gojou and Marin
- Marin's positive and upbeat attitude
- Gojou's efforts to make cosplay dresses
Apr 15, 2022 7:26 PM

Aug 2017
Romance + Marin blushing face + Episode 2 holy shit that was more erotic than some hentais but it wasn't rapey which makes it even better

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
May 11, 2022 2:19 AM

Oct 2008
It's pretty.
It has fan-service.
It gives us cosplay [like how we sometimes get (ice skating, skateboards, ballroom dancing and whatnot)]
It has a gyaru as an MC, which we don't have much of in anime, we maybe have less than 10 such anime.
It has two characters seemingly from different eras sharing what they love.
It has Doujinshi I've been looking forward to after finishing the anime.
May 12, 2022 8:45 PM

Aug 2021
From a dramatic approach, the main course is Gojou's personal growth from the experiences that arise from his work as a tailor and friend of Marin. As we well know, the protagonist carries a stigma that has negatively conditioned him when it comes to sharing his passion and forging bonds with other people his own age. Although the famous scene of disapproval (with a very cliché "I hate you") is very conventional, the situation exposes a common problem in sexist societies: the ridicule and mockery that men suffer when they take an interest in traditionally feminine hobbies or professions. In fact, Gojou himself comes to think of himself as almost a freak and assumes that "My presence would bother others." A fact we observe in chapter 3 when Gojou believes that his company in public may harm Marin and runs away from her until classes are over.

Fortunately, the figure of Marin constitutes a favorable presence in his life. She invites him to dive fully into the otaku subculture, explaining to him about her favorite characters, games, and anime; and giving him the opportunity to play her eroge and watch the Flower Princess anime with her. However, all of the above is a preliminary step to cosplay, an activity that involves not only costume making but also role-playing. Here together with Gojou and Marin we explore on a technical and emotional level many of the aspects and peculiarities that define the art of cosplay.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2022

394 by twzter »»
Apr 17, 1:29 PM

Poll: » Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Homura24 - Mar 26, 2022

483 by LeRaMtE »»
Apr 3, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2022

365 by LuffyHammock94 »»
Mar 21, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2022

242 by SonuItUp »»
Mar 20, 7:44 PM

» Is Marin fujoshi?

Sanjay63773 - Feb 29

13 by Gloozed »»
Mar 18, 9:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.