Forum Settings
Forums

Is being a STEM graduate and an animator mutually exclusive?

New
Jan 17, 2022 10:06 PM

May 2017
I was wondering if they’re any STEM graduates who also managed to get into animation and thought differently than traditional artists that went the artistic route.

Is there something different you notice in the animation industry that others can’t witness, or is it just about the same?
Jan 17, 2022 10:20 PM

Dec 2013
My background is civil engineering and architecture.
Did software development in the past, so am pretty expert in programming and modelling.

I used to do 3D modelling and animations for hobbies.
I would say a person with STEM background has more powerful skill to manipulate difficult animations like particles and complex 3D movements, which often required at least basic scripting. In 3dsMax, you write scripts in Maxscript, which you can make crazy animation of fractal particles etc that are controlled by audio or things like those, whereas animating relying only on what the standard GUI provides often times not sufficient. This is even true for modelling, like parametric modelling or algorithmic modelling can creates geometry that standard CAD modelling could not. In AEC, this analysis and design are much better integrated if the model is parametrically constructed .

A person pure from artistry may have better feeling and understanding in the gesture of movement in the characters though, and also more sensitive in modelling characters, which are more proficient overall in the qualitative aspects of modelling and animations.

Jan 18, 2022 12:42 AM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
I have great respect for people who before pursuing a career in the arts, earn a tough degree (ie financially stable / useful to society) that they can earn up some money with first or fall back on in case anything goes wrong. These people tend be really well adjusted and I do think their world view / lens would allow them to approach certain problems in the workplace in a way your typical artist never could. The guy above me mentioned being an architect, and that's an immediate skillset that comes to mind when I think of someone who can thrive in any job environment with the boons of both the "left brain" and "right brain". Back on topic though frankly I think society would be a drastically better place if most people followed that path. However instead a majority of the people who go into non-STEM degrees end up completely wasting their time and end up in some shitty unrelated job (that didn't even need a college education) with a pile of debt then blame society for their dumb decisions and selfishly try to make others cover the costs.
Jan 18, 2022 8:57 AM

Dec 2013
Kyotosomo said:
I have great respect for people who before pursuing a career in the arts, earn a tough degree (ie financially stable / useful to society) that they can earn up some money with first or fall back on in case anything goes wrong. These people tend be really well adjusted and I do think their world view / lens would allow them to approach certain problems in the workplace in a way your typical artist never could. The guy above me mentioned being an architect, and that's an immediate skillset that comes to mind when I think of someone who can thrive in any job environment with the boons of both the "left brain" and "right brain". Back on topic though frankly I think society would be a drastically better place if most people followed that path. However instead a majority of the people who go into non-STEM degrees end up completely wasting their time and end up in some shitty unrelated job (that didn't even need a college education) with a pile of debt then blame society for their dumb decisions and selfishly try to make others cover the costs.

Yes, architects are trained in creativity, logic, and technical skills. Its multidisciplinary in its core

Jan 18, 2022 2:55 PM

Oct 2012
No, you NEED math to do 3D modeling if you care about perspectives, interactions, or manipulations.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 19, 2022 6:55 AM

Dec 2013
katsucats said:
No, you NEED math to do 3D modeling if you care about perspectives, interactions, or manipulations.

Very true, both programming skill and math are heavily required, especially for an advanced algorithmic modeling or an integrated model-analysis-optimization such as for MDO

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 8 hours ago

15 by RyuRabbit »»
14 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

26 by JaniSIr »»
59 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

73 by 707supremacist »»
1 hour ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

19 by Deyuko »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

65 by Animeistaken »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.