Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 13, 2022 5:16 PM
Nov 2020
Isn't Yuri on Ice a little bit underrated.? I was recently searching for a good anime to watch and saw it was AOTY of that year🙄. OMG.. nobody talks about it as much as other AOTYs like JJK KnY Devilman or Made in Abyss. Gave it a try... Animation, OST, VA eng, character, plot were superb though it became avg eventually and a bit repetitive IMO. But it's ranking and popularity comes nowhere near to others.
Why's that.? Is it for some gay elements. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I didn't watch any homosexual anime and don't have any interest in them but it didn't bother me that much rather I enjoyed it to some extent.
Pls share your views😕
Jan 13, 2022 5:23 PM
Jan 2013
Sandro8604 said:
Isn't Yuri on Ice a little bit underrated.? I was recently searching for a good anime to watch and saw it was AOTY of that year🙄. OMG.. nobody talks about it as much as other AOTYs like JJK KnY Devilman or Made in Abyss. Gave it a try... Animation, OST, VA eng, character, plot were superb though it became avg eventually and a bit repetitive IMO. But it's ranking and popularity comes nowhere near to others.
Why's that.? Is it for some gay elements. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I didn't watch any homosexual anime and don't have any interest in them but it didn't bother me that much rather I enjoyed it to some extent.
Pls share your views😕
It’s gay bait, a lot of people (myself included) hate that about it.
Jan 13, 2022 5:45 PM
Jul 2021
My biggest issue is that I literally only cared about like, three characters and that was it. Whenever all the other side characters were doing their thing I couldn't care less. At least the animation and what-not was good though
Jan 13, 2022 6:35 PM
May 2021
Homophobia 🤦🏼‍♂️
But I agree this anime is just a work of art ! 💕 10/10
Jan 13, 2022 6:55 PM

Oct 2021
Idk, but watching figure skating irl is more beautiful.
Jan 13, 2022 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
I gave a five (5) because of how uninterested I was to the characters except for the rival, the blond-haired boy. In my opinion, the cast was extremely one-dimensional. On top of that, most of the performances were repetitive. I get that it's the nature of this art/sport, you cannot do something entirely new every time with new songs in such a tight time frame. But again, I barely finished the show. It had some solid moments though. As for the BL part, I was disappointed. Why baiting us without resolving their romantic relationship? I don't like shows presenting sexual/romantic tension and then throw it out of the window with a kiss or hug lasting 1-2 seconds.

PS: That's my opinion, I don't imply that the anime is mid. Everyone has his/her own criteria and preferences.
Jan 13, 2022 7:23 PM
Jan 2022
Yuri on ice is one of the best underrated anime I've ever watch I badly need a season two for this! I'm still hoping for victor and yuri's affection for each other aside from thqt I want to see them competing in a same skating ring omgggggg can't help but smile whenever I remember they're flirting each other!!
Jan 13, 2022 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
cueynuts said:
Sandro8604 said:
Pls share your views😕
don't those two like each other?
Jan 13, 2022 8:02 PM
Feb 2021
[quote=Sandro8604 message=65455149]Isn't Yuri on Ice a little bit underrated.? I was recently searching for a good anime to watch and saw it was AOTY of that year🙄. OMG.. nobody talks about it as much as other AOTYs like JJK KnY Devilman or Made in Abyss. Gave it a try... Animation, OST, VA eng, character, plot were superb though it became avg eventually and a bit repetitive IMO. But it's ranking and popularity comes nowhere near to others.
Pls share your views😕[/quote
Sandro8604 said:
Pls share your views😕
I don't think it got repetitive, it followed the figure skating season, and every time we saw his performance the emotion that I felt from Yuri was completely different ( Just like watching the actual sport, the entire season you see everyone do their 2 routines over and over) and I thought the animators nailed that. I'm an avid watcher of Figure Skating IRL so so seeing both Yuris do their performances multiple times within the show made me hype and develop a further interest in the show. But I do agree with you that Yuri on Ice is underrated. People put it off because they're not a fan of the sport or the genre of Shonen Ai.
Jan 13, 2022 8:05 PM

Feb 2016
I don't know; those people must have bad taste.
その目だれの目?
Jan 13, 2022 8:08 PM
Jan 2013
anirudhtsuki said:
cueynuts said:
You can only assume they do. Yes, it’s a good assumption but that’s all it is, nothing in the anime actually says they like each other romantically, shit, nothing in the anime even says they’re gay. The fact they got engaged on accident proves the gay baiting even more. During the entire anime it seems like the studio was almost scared to have them come out.
Jan 13, 2022 8:09 PM
Jun 2021
i wouldn’t exactly call it underrated since it has over 700k members and was one of popular animes during the season when it first came out.
Jan 13, 2022 8:10 PM
Jul 2018
cueynuts said:
anirudhtsuki said:
You can only assume they do. Yes, it’s a good assumption but that’s all it is, nothing in the anime actually says they like each other romantically, shit, nothing in the anime even says they’re gay. The fact they got engaged on accident proves the gay baiting even more. During the entire anime it seems like the studio was almost scared to have them come out.
you people have the same woes. Mt condolences
Jan 13, 2022 8:17 PM
Jan 2013
anirudhtsuki said:
cueynuts said:
What do you mean by that???
Jan 13, 2022 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
cueynuts said:
anirudhtsuki said:
Studios not commuting to Yuri and Yaoi, even if it's clear as day, they like each other.
Jan 13, 2022 8:23 PM

May 2018
Because it's gay. I want see waifus not effeminate men.
Jan 13, 2022 8:23 PM
Jul 2021
I don't think is underrated at all, is one of the most famous sports anime i think, and some people hate it because jealousy or because they think it's overrated ig, some people are homophobic too
Jan 13, 2022 8:27 PM
Jan 2013
anirudhtsuki said:
cueynuts said:
Studios not commuting to Yuri and Yaoi, even if it's clear as day, they like each other.
Obviously they like each other but like I said previously it’s an assumption. Everything about the series points in that direction but because there was never any actual, concrete, undeniable proof that they were even gay you can’t call it anything but an assumption and that’s what makes it gay baiting. Everything about it is just a tease at most and you can even make arguments that they’re not gay if you really wanted to. I’ve seen and even talked to gay men that have said the same thing so it ain’t like I’m just making shit up.
Jan 13, 2022 9:38 PM

Aug 2013
People just hate on it because it’s a BL (not an assumption. They literally kiss and get engaged sooo) and has lots of fanservice..I’m guessing they’re not the targeted audience so whatever. I love everything about it. The characters, music, animation, romance, competition…I think Mappa did an amazing job creating this masterpiece and negative opinions don’t matter to me. All of my friends who’ve watched it love it so that’s all that matters..and that the movie will *eventually* air :) I think it’s underrated on MAL, but not in general. It has a HUGE fanbase and I’m happy to be a part of it 😊
Jan 13, 2022 10:44 PM
Mar 2020
A lot of the reasons can be homophobia, but with that out of the way, it's probably that many people aren't interested in the plot or just don't like the characters. I personally enjoyed it because of how fun the characters were
Jan 14, 2022 12:48 AM

Aug 2020
it's not really under rated, it's incredibly popular for a show with BL, it's absolutely popular outside of the lgbt+ community which is pretty impressive for anime.
Call me Ren
Jan 14, 2022 1:07 AM
Mar 2021
i think it’s overrated
Jan 14, 2022 3:08 AM

Jan 2021
Sandro8604 said:
Pls share your views😕
It's actually quite popular outside of mal but here people are just toxic homophobic and think of it as gay bait or something though I don't understand why when it's just pure romance between two boys.
Jan 14, 2022 4:50 AM

Mar 2019
Well there are not that many anime that have over 80 000 10/10 and as many 9/10… Totally deserved btw
Jan 14, 2022 5:22 AM

Oct 2020
Well it is just a good gay bait anime...it's a 7/10 at best for me. Even though i'm not into that kinda stuff i still think it was a deacent anime
Jan 14, 2022 8:24 AM
Aug 2021
I really do believe it’s because people are homophobic.
I love the show so much 10/10 it’s so good
Jan 14, 2022 8:59 AM
Feb 2021
people hate it cuz it's gay
Jan 14, 2022 10:40 PM
May 2021
I don’t know why people and I have only heard a few people hate the show because of gay bait, but personally I got interested into the show because I heard some irl figure skaters that enjoyed how realistic the choreography were and beautiful the show was and I also thought of that as I watched the show but I didn’t know they kept the same choreography which kinda honestly made it boring for me and I didn’t really care anything else as I was just curious about the world of figure skating. I guess it’s underrated or not talked about as much as other shows because it didn’t age well…
Jan 17, 2022 12:47 AM
Jan 2021
cueynuts said:
Sandro8604 said:
Pls share your views😕
but it is gay? They literally kiss??
Jan 17, 2022 12:54 AM
Jan 2013
MariamMian said:
cueynuts said:
it wasn't a kiss, only meant to look like one. It was literally just a hug that looked like a kiss a certain angle. The next shot is them still mid air with Victor's head beside Yuri's
Jan 17, 2022 1:02 AM

Mar 2015
cueynuts said:
MariamMian said:
it wasn't a kiss, only meant to look like one. It was literally just a hug that looked like a kiss a certain angle. The next shot is them still mid air with Victor's head beside Yuri's

It's clear as day that the creators intended for Yuri and Victor to be viewed as lovers.
Jan 17, 2022 1:29 AM
Jan 2013
Mirai said:
cueynuts said:

It's clear as day that the creators intended for Yuri and Victor to be viewed as lovers.
As I've stated earlier, it's obvious that was the case but because nothing in the show is actually concrete enough to actually say that it's only an assumption and therefore it's gay bait. If you actually pay attention to everything in the show you'd realize that they don't actually do anything that would insinuate a romantic relationship, even their engagement was an accident, and everything that does happen can be argued as to not have anything to do with a romantic relationship. At the end of the day the Yuri On Ice is gay without actually being gay and there's no real argument to that because it's the truth, it's a bunch of gay baiting.
Jan 22, 2022 6:03 PM
Sep 2020
Honestly it’s the gay baiting that pissed me off, just have them be good friends or actually openly in a romantic relationship. I think the story would work fine if Yuri and Victor were just portrayed as having a close friends/mentor relationship (ofc yaoi fans can’t let two men have an actual strong bond without fetishizing it as a gay relationship sooo) and I think it also would’ve worked great if Victor and Yuri were in an open romantic relationship. However, it’s the annoying in the middle zone the show has of heavily implied romance but at the same time no actual real portrayal of an actual romance. Of course many that watch the show label Victor and Yuri as being romantic together (me included), the show never comes out and says the two are in love. And it’s this that’s very annoying that whole time I was watching the show I thought too myself “stop being half assed and either let the dudes be gay or not”. It’s sad that this soils the show for me because I do truly think it has potential :/
Jan 22, 2022 6:09 PM
Sep 2020
[quote=eemmao message=65460886]I really do believe it’s because people are homophobic.

I disagree, I think it’s actually because people don’t like the fact that the show never openly says/shows that Victor and Yuri are in love (only implies it). This pisses a lot of LGBTQ+ people like myself because it’s getting the “hype” and “trendiness” of LGBTQ+ while also not committing to LGBTQ+ representation or portrayal.

TLDR: gets all of the “clickbait” of a gay relationship while not actually openly portraying one
Jan 23, 2022 12:58 PM
Oct 2021
It's gay baiting, there is not much of a relationship being shown or any romantic feelings.

Everything is just implied.
Feb 7, 2022 7:18 AM

Apr 2009
[

cueynuts said:
MariamMian said:

Nevermind the poor reading and comprension, how are threre people who still argue in 2022 about gay bait after the creator literally admitted she was censored.

Never change MAL.

Feb 13, 2022 11:47 AM

Feb 2016
I had no idea before watching Yuri On Ice that homosexuality and BL have so many gatekeepers.
その目だれの目?
Sep 30, 2022 4:20 PM

Jul 2015
Go watch 2016 Crunchyroll anime awards and try telling us once again with a straight face, that it is underrated.

Nov 16, 2022 11:53 AM
May 2021
thought it was boring

More topics from this board

» A petition was made to save the movie

Old_School_Akira - Apr 23

12 by kihel »»
Apr 25, 12:10 AM

» Movie got cancelled ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 18

55 by BishopBriggs »»
Apr 24, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

474 by yourlocalworm »»
Apr 19, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2016

205 by ZolaZodiac »»
Mar 20, 5:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2016

235 by Musical_grl »»
Mar 16, 3:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.