Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 17, 2021 9:33 AM

Jan 2019
I don't know why they're trying so hard to make us care about Fido. It's not even a particularly well made character because they're taking a stereotypical approach to pet chars, and it's not working for me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 17, 2021 9:38 AM
Dec 2020
Sheklon said:
I don't know why they're trying so hard to make us care about Fido. It's not even a particularly well made character because they're taking a stereotypical approach to pet chars, and it's not working for me.
If they strapped a gun to it I would make a joke about the recent sniper rifle carrying dog robot
Being human is making mistakes.
Oct 17, 2021 9:41 AM
Jul 2018
some people find it cute some just cringe out I'm the second one same as you , but i like the idea of it having recordings of Shin and Ded team
Oct 17, 2021 9:47 AM

Sep 2021
Yeah I also got that cringe feeling after watching the 3rd episode but there are people who like it.
Oct 17, 2021 9:51 AM
Mar 2021
I don’t find it cringeworthy but I like Fido because of the idea of following Shin’s life with the 86 and seeing them live and die and recording it was great
Oct 17, 2021 10:29 AM
Mar 2021
Well, he's a machine. What else can you expect? And he's at least always by Shin's side and cares for everyone too. I find it kind of heartwarming too.
Oct 17, 2021 10:35 AM

Jan 2020
Your thread is kinda cringeworthy 😬
Oct 17, 2021 11:01 AM
Jul 2018
Ohh!.. shit a robot is jumping around 🤡
That's fucking cringe 🤡
🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡
Oct 17, 2021 11:36 AM
Mar 2018
Understandable.
Oct 17, 2021 11:45 AM
Nov 2020
You’re just jealous that you don’t have a loyal robot dog that has known you your whole life who can carry supplies for you. Fido best doggo
Oct 17, 2021 12:33 PM
Jun 2021
Oct 17, 2021 12:37 PM

Aug 2012
We love Fido! He's the goodest boy out there!
Oct 17, 2021 1:17 PM

Mar 2021
I think they want to just show or give some hapiness to the characters. Personally it felt cute.
Oct 17, 2021 1:49 PM
Feb 2021
Easily annoyed, ain'tcha? LOL

I thought it was a sweet moment, and a rare chance for the audience to see Shin lower his guard.
Oct 17, 2021 2:07 PM

May 2018
Another troll post lololol
Oct 17, 2021 2:08 PM

Jan 2019

Hilarious video. lol Thanks for sharing.

Chota_Itachi said:
(...) the idea of it having recordings of Shin and Ded team

Nitroade24h said:
(...) the idea of following Shin’s life with the 86 and seeing them live and die and recording it was great

Yeah, that concept is fine. My issue wasn't with that, but with Fido acting like a regular dog all the time despite being an AI.
Oct 17, 2021 2:25 PM

Sep 2018
Sheklon said:

My issue wasn't with that, but with Fido acting like a regular dog all the time despite being an AI.

Even if the AI really really thinks it is a dog!?

Because, how do you know it doesn't?

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Oct 17, 2021 4:17 PM

Jan 2019
borderliner said:
Sheklon said:

My issue wasn't with that, but with Fido acting like a regular dog all the time despite being an AI.

My post was half bait, but since you're asking; AI don't think, not in the same way living beings do.

You could, of course, program an entire AI to act exactly like a dog, but then again, it would be just a program mimicking a dog, and it's hard to empathize with that.
Oct 17, 2021 6:08 PM
Oct 2020
What the actual fuck? Don't you dare call the real main character of the show a cringeworthy robot.
Oct 17, 2021 6:28 PM
Jun 2014
I could be wrong about this, but what I've taken away from Fido's backstory, and the plot as a whole so far, is that he likely operates similar to the legion. As in, his core contains a once human brain. That's why he connects with Shin so well and shows more of a personality compared to the other versions of that bot. And since Shin can understand him he gained a personality because he feels alive again. It's not really "a cute robot pet" and actually way more dark.
Oct 17, 2021 6:52 PM

Mar 2019
Welcome to another classic post on "Things I don't like, so I will express my complaints to people".

Ya, no one cares.
Oct 17, 2021 7:00 PM
Jul 2018
It's easy to bear. Something new instantly.
Oct 17, 2021 10:10 PM
Nov 2019
Sheklon said:
borderliner said:

My post was half bait, but since you're asking; AI don't think, not in the same way living beings do.

You could, of course, program an entire AI to act exactly like a dog, but then again, it would be just a program mimicking a dog, and it's hard to empathize with that.

Doesn't matter he is AI or living being ,what matters is he understands Shin. He is Shin's companion for long time so obviously Shin has some attachment to him and that's what they are trying to show.
Oct 18, 2021 5:57 AM

Sep 2018
Sheklon said:
borderliner said:

You simply have no idea how AI's might come to think, not in this world and certainly not in a Sci-Fi setting.

Oct 18, 2021 5:59 AM
May 2021
Idk what fido is tbh..
Is okay for me to have fido around shin and his friends it doesn't make the series cringe at all.
Oct 18, 2021 7:04 AM

Apr 2021
Tunnel_Rat said:
I was gonna speculate something similar to this. Yes otherwise there's like 0 reason why a perfect death needs to be reversed.
Oct 18, 2021 10:24 AM

Dec 2020
there are people who hate fido..? what the Fuck😧🙁🤬😠🤬🤬
Oct 18, 2021 11:07 AM
Jul 2019
Sheklon said:

plus that cgi bruhh its really looks cringy af
Oct 18, 2021 10:28 PM
Dec 2020
Sheklon said:
borderliner said:

Edgy lol
Bro they are in machines moving fast af and shooting things out of cannons that are strapped to said machines. Those machine look pretty high tech. That civilization looks pretty advanced. I wouldn’t doubt it if they had AI that can think and learn.
Oct 19, 2021 4:59 AM

Jan 2021
I find the idea of him having tapes of all the team members very heartwarming. at least even if they all die, something out there remembers them and tbh it seems like he is going to play an important role in the future.
Oct 19, 2021 7:08 AM

Jan 2019
ThatOneDude25 said:
Sheklon said:

Edgy lol
Bro they are in machines moving fast af and shooting things out of cannons that are strapped to said machines. Those machine look pretty high tech. That civilization looks pretty advanced. I wouldn’t doubt it if they had AI that can think and learn.

"AI don't think, not in the same way living beings do.

You could, of course, program an entire AI to act exactly like a dog, but then again, it would be just a program mimicking a dog, and it's hard to empathize with that."

On a serious note, AI thought processes would be more akin to a software running codes instead of an organic form of life naturally interacting with the world and making chemical processes with their brain. AI is precise and numerical, we're not. This means that if you program an AI to be exactly like a dog, then it's just a fake dog. And if you make a robot cat to jump like a cat, it will be perfect, but a cat isn't - they may miss and fall to their deaths, the AI would only do so if you program it badly, or program it to fail on purpose.

A real dog doesn't "act like a dog", it just is, and became so through countless instances of adapting and learning throughout millennia.
Oct 19, 2021 7:15 AM
Jul 2018
Sheklon said:
ThatOneDude25 said:

Edgy lol

You could, of course, program an entire AI to act exactly like a dog, but then again, it would be just a program mimicking a dog, and it's hard to empathize with that."

On a serious note, AI thought processes would be more akin to a software running codes instead of an organic form of life naturally interacting with the world and making chemical processes with their brain. AI is precise and numerical, we're not. This means that if you program an AI to be exactly like a dog, then it's just a fake dog. And if you make a robot cat to jump like a cat, it will be perfect, but a cat isn't - they may miss and fall to their deaths, the AI would only do so if you program it badly, or program it to fail on purpose.

A real dog doesn't "act like a dog", it just is, and became so through countless instances of adapting and learning throughout millennia.
Its a bit complex people need to use a lil bit of their brain to understand how AI works so it doesn't matter how much you explain them!
Oct 19, 2021 7:27 AM

Jan 2019
Chota_Itachi said:
Sheklon said:

Its a bit complex people need to use a lil bit of their brain to understand how AI works so it doesn't matter how much you explain them!

And they're angry at me because I said the pet dog isn't that cute. lol
Oct 19, 2021 11:33 AM

Sep 2018
Chota_Itachi said:
Sheklon said:

You two are really doubling down on this dumb notion that there's some sort of link between the AI we experience in everyday life and what we observe about Fido's behaviour.

Oct 19, 2021 3:02 PM
Dec 2020
borderliner said:
Chota_Itachi said:

You two are really doubling down on this dumb notion that there's some sort of link between the AI we experience in everyday life and what we observe about Fido's behaviour.

Fr it’s an anime they can make whatever they want. We are watching a show about robots that steal the conscious of the person they kill, shinei can hear the dead people in said machines but fido acting like a dog is the thing they don’t believe? If you wanted realistic go somewhere else I guess.
Oct 19, 2021 3:03 PM
Dec 2020
Chota_Itachi said:
Sheklon said:

A bit condescending of a tone don’t you think. Why don’t you just try to enjoy the show instead of flaunting how much you know about AI, even though I’m sure everyone would love to hear more.
Oct 19, 2021 6:48 PM
Jul 2018
borderliner said:
Chota_Itachi said:

what doubling ? , I'm saying what i think is right
Oct 19, 2021 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
ThatOneDude25 said:
Chota_Itachi said:

A bit condescending of a tone don’t you think. Why don’t you just try to enjoy the show instead of flaunting how much you know about AI, even though I’m sure everyone would love to hear more.
I do enjoy the show and that does not take away my right to criticize what i didn't like , and about AI so its one of my subject and i can gladly say i know a lot about it
Oct 19, 2021 7:16 PM
Dec 2020
Chota_Itachi said:
ThatOneDude25 said:

I do enjoy the show and that does not take away my right to criticize what i didn't like , and about AI so its one of my subject and i can gladly say i know a lot about it

Good for you but I feel as though you are simply complaining to showcase your knowledge of AI which is somewhat pretentious. The one thing in the show that makes you cringe is fido acting like a dog. In a fantasy show with Robots stealing the conscious of their victims, shinei being able to hear said robots thoughts, and the other technology of the show. Just doesn’t seem that high up on the most unbelievable thing in the show
Idk man imho you just seem eager to flaunt. Like a child who knows how to multiply before the other kids so now you think they are beneath you.
Oct 19, 2021 7:28 PM
Jul 2018
ThatOneDude25 said:
Chota_Itachi said:

Good for you but I feel as though you are simply complaining to showcase your knowledge of AI which is somewhat pretentious. The one thing in the show that makes you cringe is fido acting like a dog. In a fantasy show with Robots stealing the conscious of their victims, shinei being able to hear said robots thoughts, and the other technology of the show. Just doesn’t seem that high up on the most unbelievable thing in the show
Idk man imho you just seem eager to flaunt. Like a child who knows how to multiply before the other kids so now you think they are beneath you.
ye maybe my choice of word made you feel like that although i didn't really say anything like that, but really that's not my intention , and about the show.... I know its mecha and I've always thought of 86 as realistic ofc coz of the theme of this show nothing overtoast and having a realistic approach even in sci-fi and after all of that when i saw fido i just didn't like it coz it was contradicting all the realistic buildup but it was okay not that bad as i said before but i did felt cringe so ..
Oct 19, 2021 8:41 PM

Mar 2018
Cringe? It's not like the dog is doing anything cringey per se, it's just a dog...
Oct 19, 2021 11:23 PM
Jul 2021
So ppl hate Fido now😂😂 nothing surprises me anymore 😪
Oct 20, 2021 7:40 AM

Sep 2018
Chota_Itachi said:
borderliner said:

what doubling ? , I'm saying what i think is right

Two things,
What's been said about AI isn't true.
Whether Fido is an AI or not has zero impact on our ability to empathise with it as a character.

Sharks are living creatures, how much empathy do you feel for them?

Oct 20, 2021 12:03 PM

Jan 2019
@borderliner You'll have to explain further. What was wrong with what I said about AI and what are you trying to bring up with the shark analogy?

@Thatonedude25 I just don't really like (what to me feels like) a generic robot dog and I think it's low effort and not compelling. It's not that deep.

Some people said above that there is more to Fido than meets the eyes; cool, but the anime hasn't show that yet.
SheklonOct 21, 2021 10:22 AM
Oct 20, 2021 5:41 PM
Jun 2013
Sheklon said:

They're not trying, they already accomplished with Fido memories in S1
Oct 20, 2021 6:27 PM
Aug 2019
Nah i think it fits well in the show.. plus it gives the 86 characters some enjoyment in there depression filled lives...
Oct 21, 2021 2:26 AM
Nov 2019
Chota_Itachi said:
ThatOneDude25 said:

ye maybe my choice of word made you feel like that although i didn't really say anything like that, but really that's not my intention , and about the show.... I know its mecha and I've always thought of 86 as realistic ofc coz of the theme of this show nothing overtoast and having a realistic approach even in sci-fi and after all of that when i saw fido i just didn't like it coz it was contradicting all the realistic buildup but it was okay not that bad as i said before but i did felt cringe so ..

In what sense it's contradictory can you explain further?.
Oct 21, 2021 2:30 AM
Nov 2019
Sheklon said:
@borderline You'll have to explain further. What was wrong with what I said about AI and what are you trying to bring up with the shark analogy?

@Thatonedude25 I just don't really like (what to me feels like) a generic robot dog and I think it's low effort and not compelling. It's not that deep.

Some people said above that there is more to Fido that meets the eyes; cool, but the anime hasn't show that yet.

They already foreshadowed in ep 10.
Oct 23, 2021 8:57 PM
Jun 2014
Seriously, has nobody else considered that Fido started as a human just like the Legion? That explains Shins connection with him and why he acts different. Shin makes him feel human again.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2021

213 by Rob7 »»
10 hours ago

» Season 2

Brittaman12 - Dec 17, 2023

33 by Oongbuh »»
Yesterday, 7:23 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2022

531 by Unni46nam »»
Yesterday, 7:15 PM

» Does anyone else feel like this season was a lot worse than season 1 ( 1 2 )

Cudlyyy - Jul 27, 2023

87 by ProteusRidley »»
Apr 28, 4:16 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2021

154 by Daegan17 »»
Apr 10, 11:37 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.