Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 9, 2021 8:47 AM
Jul 2018
One of the best shows (Yu Yu Hakusho) in all of anime aired at the start of that decade. Many good memories of 90s anime airing on TV in my childhood. Made growing up in a post Soviet shithole in the 00s all that much better.
Oct 9, 2021 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
2000s>1990s>2010s=2020s

Thats pretty much my take.
Oct 9, 2021 8:55 AM

Apr 2015
I tried a few, and found them boring and uninteresting. Not gonna bother with any more either. I find new anime better.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Oct 9, 2021 9:00 AM
Jul 2018
90s anime are gr8 nd almost all of my fav animu are frm dat era
Oct 9, 2021 9:06 AM
Jul 2017
All i Can say is that I have watched more 80s and 70s anime than 90s I think
Oct 9, 2021 10:23 AM

Aug 2017
I don't know why but I'm allergic to old anime, I just can't watch any of it.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Oct 9, 2021 5:38 PM

Aug 2020
I'm honestly very fond of it, given I have like 4 of them in my favorites lol. I've really come to like the detailed artstyle and visuals it offers over time.

Oct 9, 2021 6:48 PM

Jun 2010
Everything has its time. I think the 90s animation is interesting. I have watched some of them.
Oct 9, 2021 8:07 PM

Dec 2012
It's like any other decade, it depends. Some is good, some is bad.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 19, 2021 7:41 PM
May 2008
Full of classics back to back. Love it
Oct 19, 2021 7:49 PM

Mar 2021
The era of anime where the art and character designs were at their best.

Today's art and character designs look too similar.
Oct 19, 2021 10:18 PM

Aug 2009
My favorites from the 90's often rank as close seconds to my favorites of the 2000's.

Oct 20, 2021 12:18 AM

May 2016
The style in the 90s and early 2000s looked stunning and the best, and had the best written stories.

Oct 20, 2021 1:20 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
I like many anime from 90s, I especially like the artstyle that was common back then, but also the stories are mostly interesting and I end up getting sucked in them.

I'd say my favorite era of anime is between 90s and 00s
Oct 20, 2021 1:49 AM
Mar 2021
I haven't finished any yet, lol. I did watch 2/3rds of Utena and adore it, but I doubt that's representative of the era considering how fucking weird and kinda gay it is.

I'm hoping to dig into some 90's anime soon, probably starting with Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and NGE.
Oct 20, 2021 2:02 AM

Aug 2020
alshu said:
"What do you think of 90s anime?"

I don't think it should be that easy to summarize what a whole decade of very diverse shows from trash, to mainstream, to experimental by a vast array of artists.

Like I don believe in "Here 6 popular anime franchise, this is the 90s for you!".

Hey can you recommend me some amazing old anime not the popular ones I actually saw you many times on forums talking about old anime and I already going to watch some like I started Romeo to Aoi sora and I will watch gunbuster and twelve kingdoms anime so if you know really amazing ones except popular ones cam you recommend me?
Oct 20, 2021 3:53 AM

Apr 2020
peaked harder than 2010s/2020s
worse on average than 2010s/2020s

Oct 20, 2021 4:15 AM

Jul 2020
The art style is so much better. I love the colors and the characters' faces.
Oct 20, 2021 4:23 AM

Sep 2021
I love 90's anime. I guess it's because I got introduced to anime during that time.
Oct 20, 2021 9:23 AM

May 2018
Lavi_kun said:

Hey can you recommend me some amazing old anime not the popular ones

1. I am not a connoisseur or anything so, I am bad at recommending. Amazing is a very strong word, I will try to pull some interesting titles, nothing more.
2. Not sure about popular either. For example in my (older) anime circles Heidi, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Takarajima (Treasure Island) and Slayers are very well know how about in yours?

Lavi_kun said:
Romeo to Aoi sora

Personally I don't like it but can recommend you other World Masterpiece Theater like:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Swiss Family Robinson: Flone of the Mysterious Island, Trapp Family Story, Tico of the Seven Seas and Famous Dog Lassie. (Will mention those in the list too.)

I like its sequel DieBuster better.

Here some titles from the 60s to the 00s which I like and which are relatively not that spoked about very often nowadays:

1968 - Sabu to Ichi Torimono Hikae (never watched it completely because the fansub is on hiatus)

1971 - Lupin III

1974 - Alps no Shoujo Heidi

1977 - Lupin III: Part II

1978 - Takarajima and Lupin Sansei: Lupin vs Fukusei-ningen

1979 - Lupin Sansei: Cagliostro no Shiro

1980 - Tom Sawyer no Bouken

1981 - Kazoku Robinson Hyouryuuki: Fushigi na Shima no Flone

1982 - Macross and Space Cobra

1983 - Golgo 13 and Ginga Hyouryuu Vifam.

1984 - Lupin Sansei: Part III, Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa and Meitantei Holmes.

1985 - Tenshi no Tamago

1986 - Vampire Hunter D, Uchuusen Sagittarius and Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa.

1987 - Ouritsu Uchuugun: Honneamise no Tsubasa, Youjuu Toshi, Black Magic M-66, Robot Carnival, Manie-Manie: Meikyuu Monogatari and X Densha de Ikou.

1988 - Lupin III Fuuma Ichizoku no Inbou, Tonari no Totoro, Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor OVA, Dominion and Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster.

1989 - Riding Bean, Venus Senki, Lupin III Bye Bye Liberty, Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor Movie, Majo no Takkyuubin and Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor: On Television.

1990 - Teki wa Kaizoku: Neko-tachi no Kyouen, Kumo no You ni Kaze no You ni, Fushigi no Umi no Nadia, Tanoshii Muumin Ikka, Lodoss-tou Senki, Lupin III Hemingway Paper no Nazo and Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor (1990).

1991 - Trapp Ikka Monogatari and Roujin Z.

1992 - Giant Robo The Animation and Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki.

1993 - Musekinin Kanchou Tylor, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, Juubee Ninpuuchou, Patlabor 2 the Movie, Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki: Omatsuri Zenjitsu no Yoru!, Tokusou Senshatai Dominion and Orguss 02 OVA.

1994 - Nanatsu no Umi no Tico, Iria: Zeiram - The Animation, Heisei Tanuki Gassen Ponpoko, Ghost Sweeper Mikami: Gokuraku Daisakusen!!, Macross Plus, Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki (1994), Darkside Blues and Aozora Shoujotai.

1995 - Slayers, El-Hazard: The Magnificent World and Lupin III: Harimao no Zaihou wo Oe!!.

1996 - Memories, Meiken Lassie, Slayers Next, Burn-up W, Lupin III Dead or Alive, Mahou Tsukai Tai! and Tetsuwan Birdy.

1997 - Yuusha Ou GaoGaiGar, Slayers Try, Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo (1997), Mononoke-hime, Burn-up Excess and Lupin III Walther P38.

1998 - Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Golgo 13: Queen Bee, Lupin III Honoo no Kioku - Tokyo Crisis, Geobreeders: File-X Chibi Neko Dakkan, Spriggan, Ao no 6 Gou and Kujira no Chouyaku.

1999 - Harlock Saga OVA, Betterman, Mahou Tsukai Tai! (1999), Hoohokekyo Tonari no Yamada-kun, Melty Lancer, Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo 2: Satsuriku no Deep Blue, The Big O and Jin-Rou.

2000 - Yuusha Ou GaoGaiGar Final, Ayashi no Ceres, Furi Kuri, VanDread, Geobreeders 2: Mouryou Yuugekitai File-XX Ransen Toppa, Hidamari no Ki, Argento Soma, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Blood: The Last Vampire.

2001 - Spirit of Wonder: Shounen Kagaku Club, Nekojiru-soup, Zone of the Enders 2167 Idolo, Animation Seisaku Shinkou Kuromi-chan, The SoulTaker, Zone of the Enders Dolores,I, Metropolis, Mahou Yuugi 2D + Mahou Yuugi 3D and VanDread the Second Stage.

2002 - Fullmetal Panic!, Trava: Fist Planet, WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3, Tenchi Muyou! GXP, Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai, Azumanga Daioh, Lupin III Episode 0: `First Contact`, Princess Tutu, Sentou Yousei Yukikaze, Overman King Gainer, Hanada Shounen-shi and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe.

2003 - Macross Zero, The Big O (2003), Aru Tabibito no Nikki, Kino no Tabi (2003), Last Exile, Interstella5555 - The 5tory of The 5ecret 5tar 5ystem, The Animatrix, Lupin III Otakara Henkyaku Daisakusen!!, Fullmetal Panic? Fumoffu, Tokyo Godfathers, Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki (2003) and Planetes.

2004 - Area 88 (2004), Dead Leaves, Animation Seisaku Shinkou Kuromi-chan 2, Mousou Dairinin, Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu, Appleseed (2004), Steamboy, Kakurenbo, Top wo Nerae 2! Diebuster, Fantastic Children, Mankatsu, Gankutsuou and Yakitate!! Japan.

2005 - Karas, Sousei no Aquarion, Hachimitsu to Clover, Fullmetal Panic! The Second Raid, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Mushishi and Pale Cocoon.

2006 - Giniro no Kami no Agito, Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings, Oban Star-Racers, Juuousei, Hachimitsu to Clover II, Project Blue Chikyuu SOS, NHK ni Youkoso!, Toki o Kakeru Shoujo, Paprika, Black Blood Brothers, Ghost Hunt, Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi and Freedom.

2007 - Tekkon Kinkreet, Nodame Cantabile, Hidamari Sketch, Kafka Inaka Isha, Lovely Complex, Lucky Star, Highlander: The Search for Vengeance, Genius Party, Stranger: Mukou Hadan, Sketchbook: Full Color`s and Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu (2007).

2008 - Bus Gamer, Macross Frontier, Lupin III Green vs Red, Zettai Karen Children, Fireball, Toshokan Sensou, Golgo 13 (2008), Tsumiki no Ie, Hidamari Sketch x 365, Tetsuwan Birdy Decode, Bounen no Xamdou, Lupin III Sweet Lost Night - Mahou no Lamp wa Akumu no Yokan, Sky Crawlers, Detroit Metal City, Cobra The Animation: The Psychogun, Toradora!, Mouryou no Hako, Nodame Cantabile: Paris Hen, Genius Party Beyond and Touhou Niji Sousaku Doujin Anime: Musou Kakyou.

2009 - Kurokami The Animation, Lupin III vs Meitantei Conan, Senjou no Valkyria: Valkyria Chronicles, Natsu no Arashi!, Meitantei Conan: Shikkoku no Chaser, Cobra The Animation: Time Drive, Cencoroll and Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike.
Oct 20, 2021 9:29 AM

Jul 2015
@alshu you lost me at Area 88 2004, but not the 80s OVA...

Violet42 said:
I haven't finished any yet, lol. I did watch 2/3rds of Utena and adore it, but I doubt that's representative of the era considering how fucking weird and kinda gay it is.

I'm hoping to dig into some 90's anime soon, probably starting with Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and NGE.

Utena is very gay, but also quite 90s tbh :p
Oct 20, 2021 9:37 AM

May 2018
Deathko said:
but not the 80s OVA...

I really hate that 80's OVA - at certain point it went in full tearjerker mode.
Oct 20, 2021 9:58 AM

Aug 2020
alshu said:
Lavi_kun said:

Hey can you recommend me some amazing old anime not the popular ones

1. I am not a connoisseur or anything so, I am bad at recommending. Amazing is a very strong word, I will try to pull some interesting titles, nothing more.
2. Not sure about popular either. For example in my (older) anime circles Heidi, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Takarajima (Treasure Island) and Slayers are very well know how about in yours?

Lavi_kun said:
Romeo to Aoi sora

Personally I don't like it but can recommend you other World Masterpiece Theater like:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Swiss Family Robinson: Flone of the Mysterious Island, Trapp Family Story, Tico of the Seven Seas and Famous Dog Lassie. (Will mention those in the list too.)

I like its sequel DieBuster better.

Here some titles from the 60s to the 00s which I like and which are relatively not that spoked about very often nowadays:

1968 - Sabu to Ichi Torimono Hikae (never watched it completely because the fansub is on hiatus)

1971 - Lupin III

1974 - Alps no Shoujo Heidi

1977 - Lupin III: Part II

1978 - Takarajima and Lupin Sansei: Lupin vs Fukusei-ningen

1979 - Lupin Sansei: Cagliostro no Shiro

1980 - Tom Sawyer no Bouken

1981 - Kazoku Robinson Hyouryuuki: Fushigi na Shima no Flone

1982 - Macross and Space Cobra

1983 - Golgo 13 and Ginga Hyouryuu Vifam.

1984 - Lupin Sansei: Part III, Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa and Meitantei Holmes.

1985 - Tenshi no Tamago

1986 - Vampire Hunter D, Uchuusen Sagittarius and Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa.

1987 - Ouritsu Uchuugun: Honneamise no Tsubasa, Youjuu Toshi, Black Magic M-66, Robot Carnival, Manie-Manie: Meikyuu Monogatari and X Densha de Ikou.

1988 - Lupin III Fuuma Ichizoku no Inbou, Tonari no Totoro, Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor OVA, Dominion and Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster.

1989 - Riding Bean, Venus Senki, Lupin III Bye Bye Liberty, Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor Movie, Majo no Takkyuubin and Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor: On Television.

1990 - Teki wa Kaizoku: Neko-tachi no Kyouen, Kumo no You ni Kaze no You ni, Fushigi no Umi no Nadia, Tanoshii Muumin Ikka, Lodoss-tou Senki, Lupin III Hemingway Paper no Nazo and Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor (1990).

1991 - Trapp Ikka Monogatari and Roujin Z.

1992 - Giant Robo The Animation and Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki.

1993 - Musekinin Kanchou Tylor, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, Juubee Ninpuuchou, Patlabor 2 the Movie, Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki: Omatsuri Zenjitsu no Yoru!, Tokusou Senshatai Dominion and Orguss 02 OVA.

1994 - Nanatsu no Umi no Tico, Iria: Zeiram - The Animation, Heisei Tanuki Gassen Ponpoko, Ghost Sweeper Mikami: Gokuraku Daisakusen!!, Macross Plus, Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki (1994), Darkside Blues and Aozora Shoujotai.

1995 - Slayers, El-Hazard: The Magnificent World and Lupin III: Harimao no Zaihou wo Oe!!.

1996 - Memories, Meiken Lassie, Slayers Next, Burn-up W, Lupin III Dead or Alive, Mahou Tsukai Tai! and Tetsuwan Birdy.

1997 - Yuusha Ou GaoGaiGar, Slayers Try, Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo (1997), Mononoke-hime, Burn-up Excess and Lupin III Walther P38.

1998 - Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Golgo 13: Queen Bee, Lupin III Honoo no Kioku - Tokyo Crisis, Geobreeders: File-X Chibi Neko Dakkan, Spriggan, Ao no 6 Gou and Kujira no Chouyaku.

1999 - Harlock Saga OVA, Betterman, Mahou Tsukai Tai! (1999), Hoohokekyo Tonari no Yamada-kun, Melty Lancer, Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo 2: Satsuriku no Deep Blue, The Big O and Jin-Rou.

2000 - Yuusha Ou GaoGaiGar Final, Ayashi no Ceres, Furi Kuri, VanDread, Geobreeders 2: Mouryou Yuugekitai File-XX Ransen Toppa, Hidamari no Ki, Argento Soma, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Blood: The Last Vampire.

2001 - Spirit of Wonder: Shounen Kagaku Club, Nekojiru-soup, Zone of the Enders 2167 Idolo, Animation Seisaku Shinkou Kuromi-chan, The SoulTaker, Zone of the Enders Dolores,I, Metropolis, Mahou Yuugi 2D + Mahou Yuugi 3D and VanDread the Second Stage.

2002 - Fullmetal Panic!, Trava: Fist Planet, WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3, Tenchi Muyou! GXP, Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai, Azumanga Daioh, Lupin III Episode 0: `First Contact`, Princess Tutu, Sentou Yousei Yukikaze, Overman King Gainer, Hanada Shounen-shi and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe.

2003 - Macross Zero, The Big O (2003), Aru Tabibito no Nikki, Kino no Tabi (2003), Last Exile, Interstella5555 - The 5tory of The 5ecret 5tar 5ystem, The Animatrix, Lupin III Otakara Henkyaku Daisakusen!!, Fullmetal Panic? Fumoffu, Tokyo Godfathers, Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki (2003) and Planetes.

2004 - Area 88 (2004), Dead Leaves, Animation Seisaku Shinkou Kuromi-chan 2, Mousou Dairinin, Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu, Appleseed (2004), Steamboy, Kakurenbo, Top wo Nerae 2! Diebuster, Fantastic Children, Mankatsu, Gankutsuou and Yakitate!! Japan.

2005 - Karas, Sousei no Aquarion, Hachimitsu to Clover, Fullmetal Panic! The Second Raid, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Mushishi and Pale Cocoon.

2006 - Giniro no Kami no Agito, Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings, Oban Star-Racers, Juuousei, Hachimitsu to Clover II, Project Blue Chikyuu SOS, NHK ni Youkoso!, Toki o Kakeru Shoujo, Paprika, Black Blood Brothers, Ghost Hunt, Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi and Freedom.

2007 - Tekkon Kinkreet, Nodame Cantabile, Hidamari Sketch, Kafka Inaka Isha, Lovely Complex, Lucky Star, Highlander: The Search for Vengeance, Genius Party, Stranger: Mukou Hadan, Sketchbook: Full Color`s and Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu (2007).

2008 - Bus Gamer, Macross Frontier, Lupin III Green vs Red, Zettai Karen Children, Fireball, Toshokan Sensou, Golgo 13 (2008), Tsumiki no Ie, Hidamari Sketch x 365, Tetsuwan Birdy Decode, Bounen no Xamdou, Lupin III Sweet Lost Night - Mahou no Lamp wa Akumu no Yokan, Sky Crawlers, Detroit Metal City, Cobra The Animation: The Psychogun, Toradora!, Mouryou no Hako, Nodame Cantabile: Paris Hen, Genius Party Beyond and Touhou Niji Sousaku Doujin Anime: Musou Kakyou.

2009 - Kurokami The Animation, Lupin III vs Meitantei Conan, Senjou no Valkyria: Valkyria Chronicles, Natsu no Arashi!, Meitantei Conan: Shikkoku no Chaser, Cobra The Animation: Time Drive, Cencoroll and Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike.

Firstly, from the bottom of my heart I am really thankful to you for spending your precious time for just my request. Really thank you so much .
I saved every one of them in my phone and will add them in my ptw list and I am going to watch every one of them really thank you bro .
Lavi_kunOct 20, 2021 1:38 PM
Oct 20, 2021 11:21 AM
Sep 2020
Most of the older shows are much more intriguing and better than the modern smut we get today. Generic plots, Unwanted fanservice, and literally the same art style in every other show make most of the season shit unbearable. 90s anime have undeniably less fancy animations but the vibe it carries is far more enjoyable than any of the modern anime.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » The most overrated characters that everyone loves ( 1 2 3 )

Lizz_Aleister - Dec 1, 2020

100 by Serafos »»
2 minutes ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - Yesterday

38 by perseii »»
2 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9085 by anime-prime »»
5 minutes ago

» Which anime brings back memories of nostalgia for you?

Gashadokur0 - 8 hours ago

17 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
10 minutes ago

» Ai Spambots

billybub - 6 hours ago

31 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.