Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2021 4:12 AM

May 2020
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Well that was quite the finale. Not a huge fan of the age gap relationships in this. Ryuuga and his student (even if she's technically older than him) and Mahoro's re-incarnation and Suguru are creepy. Kinda wish she had just stayed dead.

Overall, a pretty average ecchi rom-com. I enjoyed parts of it but didn't particularly care for it.
May 23, 2022 3:09 PM

Sep 2008
It's much better than the Gainax ending that the anime had. They actually explained the fate of each of the characters when they became adults plus the teacher. Yeah, I agree with you, the age gap is kinda creepy. Suguru is like 34 while the reincarnation of Mahoro is 18 or 19 so it just doesn't feel the same.

This series has a special place in my heart because I watched the anime back in 2005 and it and Chobits were the first non-mainstream and in Japanese that I've ever watched. I read the manga probably about 8 years ago and just today, I both watched the anime and read the manga so I can see the comparison and it feels like Gainax ruined this series with their stupid ending in the anime.
Jul 3, 2022 7:19 AM

Mar 2008
Ryuuga is an android and literally ageless so the Ryuuga-student relationship looked much worse when she was young than it does in the end. Unless he is killed, he is going to outlive her and not look a day older than the day he was created. I'm more wondering what happened to the family he had before he got formally involved with his student. We only see them briefly, but we see them. He has a wife and a kid (undoubtedly from a relationship she had before Ryuuga, the kid is too old to be his even if his is "fully functional"). Somewhere between then and now his relationship with her must end and a new one with his student began. We aren't given any information about when this happened. So it might not have even happened until she was already an adult. All we know is that there was some sort of attraction between the two while she was still a student, but there is nothing in the series to say that anything ever happened between them while she was still in school.

I've always been of the assumption that the infant Mahoro was a clone of the real Mahoro, the Saint scientist, with the memories of the other Mahoro, the android, implanted into her via Matthew, who retains all of android Mahoro's memories, as it is clearly stated that android Mahoro was an extension of Matthew. Assuming that clone Mahoro lived just as long as the fake age that android Mahoro was given (19) before "reuniting" with Suguru and knowing that Suguru was 14 during the entire series, then that would make adult Suguru 33 and clone Mahoro is 19. I, personally, would have preferred that she would have had her aging artificially accelerated to decrease the age gap, but it doesn't really bother me, even if, under 2004 law, Mahoro would still be considered a minor until she turned 20.

Gainax ruins everything. I try to pretend the animé ending never happened. Also, the Chobits animé has almost 10x as many user entries on MAL as Mahoromatic (240K to 25K). Even Love Hina only has 130K entries on MAL and Love Hina was everywhere in the early 2000's. Don't kid yourself, Chobits was as mainstream as mainstream could get when it was released in 2002.
QuintessenceJul 3, 2022 7:31 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoromatic Chapter 38 Discussion

Quintessence - Jul 3, 2022

0 by Quintessence »»
Jul 3, 2022 7:22 AM

Poll: » Mahoromatic Chapter 1 Discussion

olmecalmighty - Sep 26, 2009

1 by Thunderwolfx17 »»
Oct 19, 2015 12:01 AM

» Ending (Spoiler alert)

JaysCheng - Feb 9, 2012

2 by Kasahareronin »»
Jul 11, 2012 9:37 PM

Poll: » Mahoromatic Chapter 2 Discussion

olmecalmighty - Sep 26, 2009

0 by olmecalmighty »»
Sep 26, 2009 7:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.