Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 19, 2021 6:03 AM

May 2020
Okay, I know this is a random question but I'd just like to know if skipping the whole Stay Night series of Fate would be okay if I just went straight unto Grand Order or Prisma Ilya or something like that? Would it ruin anything at that?

I know I've already watched the 2006 adaption and UBW but this is mostly a request from a friend because they are more interested in Grand Order's character and so on. So just wondering. Haven't watched anything more than the Stay Nights so I'd like your opinion on this.
Aug 19, 2021 6:16 AM

Feb 2021
I would recommend to watch at least Fate/zero and then Fate/Grand Order
Aug 19, 2021 6:17 AM
Jun 2020
Well, Stay Night is the Core Franchise, I think it's best to watch the spin offs after SN's 3 routes.
Aug 19, 2021 6:18 AM
Jan 2021
If you want to miss the masterpiece that is Heaven's Feel, yes you can skip. But Grand Order and Illya Prisma are great too, you'll probably gonna like, i think.
Aug 19, 2021 6:25 AM
Aug 2018
I feel like you have seen enough of the fate series to understand Grand Order or Prisma Illya, nor would either of those spoil/ruin the series u have not yet watched. Hope this helps :)
Aug 19, 2021 6:25 AM

May 2021
Well I'd recommend watching the F/SN Heaven's Feel movie trilogy since it's better than both the 2006 adaptation and UBW. It's your choice obviously, it wouldn't ruin anything since F/SN (with Fate/Zero) and the other spin-off's aren't connected.
Aug 19, 2021 6:39 AM
Feb 2021
WOWDood said:
Okay, I know this is a random question but I'd just like to know if skipping the whole Stay Night series of Fate would be okay if I just went straight unto Grand Order or Prisma Ilya or something like that? Would it ruin anything at that?

I know I've already watched the 2006 adaption and UBW but this is mostly a request from a friend because they are more interested in Grand Order's character and so on. So just wondering. Haven't watched anything more than the Stay Nights so I'd like your opinion on this.

Yes you can, but I recommend watching it if you like ShirouxSaber ship :))
Aug 19, 2021 6:47 AM

Jan 2017
WOWDood said:
Okay, I know this is a random question but I'd just like to know if skipping the whole Stay Night series of Fate would be okay if I just went straight unto Grand Order or Prisma Ilya or something like that? Would it ruin anything at that? this is mostly a request from a friend because they are more interested in Grand Order's character and so on.

Prisma Illya start as a parody , so it will definitely miss something if your friends didn't watched atleast one of the Stay Night. (And it later spoil or atleast give you huge hints for UBW and HF , so it's not the best.)

Grand Order is a Spin-Off using multiple characters from all of the different Fate + lot of new ones. If you and your friends didn't watched them , you will definitely miss something too. (For the Grand Order Animes , watch atleast the 2006 Anime , UBW or Zero. For the Game , Apocrypha would also help with Jeanne.)

So yes , you can watch them as stand-alone , but it's not recommanded.

Edit : Oh , and if you/they are this interested in the Grand Order characters , you should definitely play/tell them to play the game , only a small portion of it got adapted into Animes.
Alexioos95Aug 19, 2021 6:50 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Aug 19, 2021 6:51 AM
Aug 2020
Maybe the 2006 anime but I think he's missing out on ubw and especially heavens feel
Aug 19, 2021 6:54 AM

Aug 2020
It wouldn't ruin anything but he'd be missing out on Heaven's feel and Zero which are the 2 best Fates
Aug 19, 2021 6:58 AM

Jun 2016
No it's the most important entry in the entire franchise.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 19, 2021 7:17 AM

Feb 2019
WOWDood said:

/stay night is incredibly important.. Characters, events and lore from /SN are absolutely integral to the proceedings of /Prisma☆Illya and /Grand Order.

Also highly necessary is its sequel, Fate/hollow ataraxia. Partiularly with /Prisma☆Illya, /HA establishes virtually half of its lore in one fell swoop.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Aug 19, 2021 7:38 AM
Aug 2020
I recommend watching UBW then choice of three heavens feel movie and move on to spin offs (FGO, Illiya plasma, apocrypha etc.) The reason is because you won’t have great understanding of the world. The whole world building is introduced in stay night. Now FGO is well adapted and could be understandable without watching stay night, but as I said it’s just better for your understanding.
Aug 19, 2021 9:13 AM
Jan 2020
No, your friend cannot skip the entirety of stay night. It is required in order to watch the rest of fate. The watch order is the fate route(visual novel only), unlimited blade works(visual novel or anime), heaven's feel(visual novel or anime), zero, and then anything you want to watch after that. You sadly can't watch 2006 as a replacement for the visual novel because it messes up Shiro's characterization. If you don't feel like downloading the visual novel, you can just look up a walkthrough on youtube.

Stay night doesn’t spoil zero. Zero is a prequel which expects you to know the ending from the beginning. Prequels expect you to watch the original before you watch them. It is absolutely not the intended order to watch Zero first. First, Zero was written after FSN. It relies heavily on the audience knowing things from FSN. Many scenes lose their impact if the audience doesn't know certain things.You watch a prequel for how it happened and not for what happened. Just like how with the star wars prequels, it expects you to know that Anakin is darth vader. You watch them for how Anakin skywalker became darth vader and not for what happens in them.

If you want more information about why this is the best order, talk to the redditor known as ThatOtherStriker. Here's a link to his profile! They know a lot more about fate than I do.

Sorry for any grammar mistakes or typos! I wrote this on my phone and not my computer.
maho_shojo_aiOct 26, 2021 5:49 PM
No Game no Life season 2 officially announced.
You need to be an MAL supporter in order to view the rest of my signature.
Aug 19, 2021 9:20 AM

Apr 2018
2006 is basically same as unlimited blade works so watch that instead it has good animation also.

Aug 19, 2021 9:58 AM
Apr 2021
You should watch the main three routes of staynight then zero. Your friend can move on to grand order after that
Aug 19, 2021 10:39 AM

Oct 2014
Short Version: [Fate/Stay Night 2006 (Fan Edits) → UBW → Heaven's Feel → Zero](https://i.imgur.com/zq3VjQn.jpg)

Long Version: [Check out my guide](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH4BKJ6s0V8)
Message me for Fate/ information
Aug 19, 2021 3:01 PM
Oct 2020
MuZe- said:
Well I'd recommend watching the F/SN Heaven's Feel movie trilogy since it's better than both the 2006 adaptation and UBW. It's your choice obviously, it wouldn't ruin anything since F/SN (with Fate/Zero) and the other spin-off's aren't connected.
how is heavens feel better than ubw?
Aug 19, 2021 3:19 PM

May 2021
MilanFillipi said:
MuZe- said:

It's a better adaptation of the VN. From what I read, UBW cuts a lot of Shirou's inner monologues from the VN and makes his character shit. It makes him look like a generic shounen protagonist. Which is why all the stuff with Shirou and Archer in UBW lacks substance and feels dragged. His depiction is way better in Heaven's feel. Tho since the stuff from UBW isn't done in the right way, it still appears half-baked. Plus, the fights and animation are more beautiful in Heaven's feel, which is the main attraction of Fate anime.
Aug 19, 2021 3:28 PM
Jan 2021
When it comes to the anime it does have some very rough patches making it an enjoyable but flawed show. However if you want to experience more of Fate this show gives everything to you when it comes to the rules of the world. All while setting the other Fate things done by Ufotable. So you can watch it to fully understand everything forward, or watch Fate Zero’s explanation of the world which is very complicated for most new watchers
Aug 19, 2021 4:12 PM
Oct 2020
MuZe- said:
MilanFillipi said:

It's a better adaptation of the VN. From what I read, UBW cuts a lot of Shirou's inner monologues from the VN and makes his character shit. It makes him look like a generic shounen protagonist. Which is why all the stuff with Shirou and Archer in UBW lacks substance and feels dragged. His depiction is way better in Heaven's feel. Tho since the stuff from UBW isn't done in the right way, it still appears half-baked. Plus, the fights and animation are more beautiful in Heaven's feel, which is the main attraction of Fate anime.
I would agree with that for the most part, except for the most important difference between the two which is that the events in ubw are way better than heavens feel. Heavens feel is way too linear and ubw is a wild fucking ride
Aug 19, 2021 4:15 PM

Jun 2015
sure, it’s pretty trash
Aug 20, 2021 1:55 PM

Apr 2020
FSN 2006 -> Fate Zero -> UBW -> Heaven's Feel

Then you can watch spin offs like Grand Order. Especially Carnival Phantasm
Aug 20, 2021 3:27 PM

Aug 2012
WOWDood said:

I wouldn't recommend skipping Stay/Night

Sep 12, 2021 3:17 AM
Dec 2020
I skipped this series and started Fate Apocrypha, i tried 9 episodes of fate stay night, but it's too boring,
It is ok if you skip this series and just watch the movie :- fate stay night unlimited blade works
Sep 13, 2021 3:50 AM

Jan 2017
ShivIsGod said:
I skipped this series and started Fate Apocrypha, i tried 9 episodes of fate stay night, but it's too boring,
It is ok if you skip this series and just watch the movie :- fate stay night unlimited blade works

Not really :x

Unlimited Blade Works should be watched after the original route (The 2006 Anime) , but since the first route "only" serve to introduce you to the Fate series and to develop the character of Saber , a lot of people just skip it and go straight to the UBW route , which is way more action packed.

Howerer , the UBW Movie is considered as a very rushed adaptation , even considerable as a Recap...
Ufotable then later did a proper adaptation in TV Series format , so it's extremely recommanded to watch the TV Series instead of the Movie.

About starting with Apocrypha , it's not recommanded as it's just a Spin-Off contrary to Stay Night (Which are the main stories) but if you were not lost , i guess it's okay.

Edit : just to precise , the 3 "/Stay Night series" (2006 Anime , UBW and Heaven's Feel) start almost exactly the same , it takes some episodes to see the difference. (The 2006 Anime focus on Saber , UBW on Archer and Heaven's Feel Movies on Sakura.)
Alexioos95Sep 13, 2021 4:03 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Sep 13, 2021 6:52 AM
Dec 2020
MuZe- said:
Its better to watch fate zero first followed by fate stay night, ULB, and heaven's feel

More topics from this board

» VN fan are annoying as Hell

chevalierkraken - Apr 23

23 by Alexioos95 »»
6 hours ago

» Why do people consider 2006 Fate/Stay Night anime bad?

zckfox - May 13, 2023

45 by chevalierkraken »»
Yesterday, 10:10 AM

» Seriously bro

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 9

10 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 10, 4:55 AM

Poll: » This or Unlimited Blade Works

Fukoku - Mar 28

13 by deg »»
Mar 31, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ruzgfpegk - Jul 3, 2008

135 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 7, 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.