Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime has the best character development and writing according to you?

New
Jun 28, 2021 8:02 AM

Jun 2021
In my opinion at the moment i think the one with the best writing is Monster and best character development is Vinland Saga what about you guys?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 28, 2021 8:07 AM

Mar 2014
Character Development: Re Zero Overall
Writing: Violet Evergreen
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Jun 28, 2021 8:08 AM

May 2019
Mine is Monogatari Series.

But I know in these kinds of topic, my opinion is always worthless.
Jun 28, 2021 8:10 AM

Jun 2021
chiisanatenohira said:
my favourite character development would be of tomoya okazaki from clannad

yeah okazaki had some solid character development ngl
Jun 28, 2021 8:11 AM

Jun 2021
only_forums_now said:
Mine is Monogatari Series.

But I know in these kinds of topic, my opinion is always worthless.

oh hey there a fellow monogatari enthusiast. Shinobu had an amazing character development imo.
Jun 28, 2021 8:13 AM

May 2019
Kakashi_Hatake09 said:
oh hey there a fellow monogatari enthusiasist. Shinobu had an amazing character development imo.

Same here.

That Shinobu & Araragi scene from Kabukimonogatari hit me the hardest when I rewatched the stuff.
Jun 28, 2021 8:13 AM

Jun 2021
HueyLion said:
Character Development: Re Zero Overall
Writing: Violet Evergreen

do you read the light novel of re zero?
Jun 28, 2021 8:14 AM

Nov 2020
Monogatari series had great writing and Hachiman from oregairu too

Jun 28, 2021 8:14 AM

Oct 2020
I love the characters development and writing in Monogatari and in Berserk
Jun 28, 2021 8:15 AM

Jun 2021
only_forums_now said:
Kakashi_Hatake09 said:
oh hey there a fellow monogatari enthusiasist. Shinobu had an amazing character development imo.

Same here.

That Shinobu & Araragi scene from Kabukimonogatari hit me the hardest when I rewatched the stuff.

monogatari is just goated by all means.
Jun 28, 2021 8:17 AM

Mar 2020
Haikyuu easily has both the best writing and characters (character development).
Jun 28, 2021 8:17 AM

Oct 2019
Kakashi_Hatake09 said:
In my opinion at the moment i think the one with the best writing is Monster and best character development is Vinland Saga what about you guys?

Haven't seen Monster but I agree,

In my opinion the anime with the best writing is definitely Hunter x Hunter, the writing is so good it will give you chills. I think character development is better for Death Note and Vinland Saga.
Jun 28, 2021 8:18 AM

Jun 2021
SAM_14__ said:
Monogatari series had great writing and Hachiman from oregairu too

i agree Hachiman's character was great
Jun 28, 2021 8:20 AM
Jul 2018
If we're just talking character development it has to be 3gatsu no lion. Rei is one of the most well developed protagonists, but other characters such as hinata and shimada get great development as well

In terms of writing my two picks are monogatari and fate/ zero. To pick one I'd go with mono easily but they're both incredibly written in their own respects

Keep in mind if this included manga my answers for both would be very different
Jun 28, 2021 8:31 AM

Jun 2021
AcbSnakeDemon said:
Kakashi_Hatake09 said:

In my opinion the anime with the best writing is definitely Hunter x Hunter, the writing is so good it will give you chills. I think character development is better for Death Note and Vinland Saga.
]

Vinland Saga deserves it man brilliant character development
Jun 28, 2021 8:32 AM

Oct 2020
Tendo_GM said:
Haikyuu easily has both the best writing and characters (character development).
True, haikyuu characters development is great and feels real, easily the best sports anime
Jun 28, 2021 8:34 AM

Oct 2020
Character development: its hard but i have to go with Vinland Saga

Writting: also really hard lol, but 3-Gatsu no Lion takes it for me, everything is so real and human
Jun 28, 2021 8:35 AM

Jun 2021
According to me,

For writing: Monster is best

For character development: Haikyuu and HunterxHunter is best
Jun 28, 2021 8:37 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Gotta be Phosphophyllite from Houseki no Kuni for me

2nd would be Violet from Violet Evergarden i think

Manga would be Musashi from Vagabond probably

smoochie smoochie

Jun 28, 2021 8:38 AM
Jul 2018
DinoPapiro said:
Tendo_GM said:
True, haikyuu characters development is great and feels real, easily the best sports anime

Yes indeed. I almost cried at the Tanaka spike scene in Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season
Jun 28, 2021 8:41 AM

Jan 2018
AcbSnakeDemon said:
Kakashi_Hatake09 said:

I don't think badly of death note at all but it doesnt have character development really,right ?

Light goes from student to Kira within one episode and stays there for the rest of the series.

Of course we learn more about the characters but the most important aspects of pretty much every character are known to us pretty much as soon as we meet a character .

It is very open with each characters ideology and personality to establish each conflict better.

I'm not saying that is bad. I just don't see how it would be considered development 🙂
Jun 28, 2021 8:42 AM

Jan 2018
Lots of strong picks in the comments.
Damn.
Usually Mal would just pick whatever is popular ATM
Jun 28, 2021 8:47 AM

Oct 2019
CuteAssTiger said:
AcbSnakeDemon said:

I don't think badly of death note at all but it doesnt have character development really,right ?

Light goes from student to Kira within one episode and stays there for the rest of the series.

Of course we learn more about the characters but the most important aspects of pretty much every character are known to us pretty much as soon as we meet a character .

It is very open with each characters ideology and personality to establish each conflict better.

I'm not saying that is bad. I just don't see how it would be considered development 🙂

Hm I'm not an expert in this stuff either so I won't argue lol, I thought there was some development for Light but I guess not.
Jun 28, 2021 8:49 AM

Oct 2020
PiyushSan said:
DinoPapiro said:

Yes indeed. I almost cried at the Tanaka spike scene in Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season
ouff that scene gave me chills, one of the best moments from that season
Jun 28, 2021 8:52 AM

Jul 2020
Welcome to NHK HAs GOoD character dev IMO
Jun 28, 2021 9:01 AM

Dec 2020
only_forums_now said:

I can't believe there are people who are heartless enough to tell you to watch Kizu last when that scene exists smh
Jun 28, 2021 9:06 AM
Mar 2021
character development :rezero
writing:steins gate/hxh

Jun 28, 2021 9:18 AM

Nov 2014
Best writing is very hard to pick but I think I'll give it to Ping Pong cause of how small pieces of dialogue relates to the bigger narrative or message being presented at the end. Or I'll give it to Monogatari cause I'm a fanboy.

Character development could also go to Monogatari but I'd be very unfair not to hand it to Chihayafuru.

DinoPapiro said:

Th best or the only one you've seen?
Jun 28, 2021 9:30 AM

Jun 2021
DinoPapiro said:
Tendo_GM said:

imo there are alot of good sports anime out there like

Hajime No Ippo
Ping Pong
Diamond No Ace
Jun 28, 2021 9:34 AM

Feb 2020
Best character development and writing for me is Steins;Gate, Monogatari, Violet Evergarden, Re:Zero, and Code Geass.
Jun 28, 2021 9:43 AM
Jan 2021
HxH for writing and Vinland Saga for development
Jun 28, 2021 9:44 AM

Oct 2020
Touniouk said:
Best writing is very hard to pick but I think I'll give it to Ping Pong cause of how small pieces of dialogue relates to the bigger narrative or message being presented at the end. Or I'll give it to Monogatari cause I'm a fanboy.

Character development could also go to Monogatari but I'd be very unfair not to hand it to Chihayafuru.

DinoPapiro said:

Th best or the only one you've seen?
The best ive seen or read, i didnt state a fact, just a opinion, sorry...
Jun 28, 2021 9:47 AM

Oct 2020
Notaloli_con said:
DinoPapiro said:

imo there are alot of good sports anime out there like

Hajime No Ippo
Ping Pong
Diamond No Ace
I didnt say anything about other sports anime, i am completly aware that there are amazing sports anime i havent seen, i was just fanboying over Haikyuu cause i truly like it
Jun 28, 2021 9:50 AM

Mar 2021
In the case of character development one that comes to mind is Fruit Baskets, especially in the case of Yuki. Went from a character that I thought was decent to an amazing character.
My favorite example of character development of all time in anime is Meruem from Hunter x Hunter. The contrast of him and Gon character development was genius and he is easily my favorite villain from any anime.
Jennifer_quinnxoJun 28, 2021 9:55 AM
Jun 28, 2021 10:14 AM

Jun 2021
Jennifer_quinnxo said:
In the case of character development one that comes to mind is Fruit Baskets, especially in the case of Yuki. Went from a character that I thought was decent to an amazing character.
My favorite example of character development of all time in anime is Meruem from Hunter x Hunter. The contrast of him and Gon character development was genius and he is easily my favorite villain from any anime.

fruit baskets is soo good especially how they have adapted the final season
Jun 28, 2021 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
I've only watched a small amount of anime compared to most people here, but my favorite character development and writing both come from Steins;Gate, with Okabe being the one with the best character development.

Honorable mention is Violet Evergarden because seeing her cry made me cry.
Jun 28, 2021 1:15 PM
Dec 2019
It's subjective but I personally love the character development in..

Natsume Yuujinchou (Takashi, it's soft and slow burn development and I love it)

Violet Evergarden (Violet, possibly the best on my list, she grows so much, and is one of the best written females in my opinion)

March comes in like a lion (Rei and others too)

A silent Voice (Both the protagonists)

Steins gate (all but especially Okabe)

Fruits Basket (almost everyone, including the antagonist, Yuki had my favourite development for this one)
Jun 28, 2021 1:27 PM

Jul 2020
Character development: March comes in like a lion

Writing: Steins;gate
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Jun 28, 2021 1:40 PM
Oct 2019
Character development - Eren is one of the obvious answers, I also really liked Thorfinn(manga), Welcome to NHK leads
Writing - There are innumerable but what I really liked were Monster, Furuba (also char development), Steins gate (also 0) & AoT?
Jun 28, 2021 1:58 PM
Oct 2020
Character development: your lie in April and code Geass
Writing: Steins;Gate
Jun 28, 2021 2:18 PM
May 2018
Off the top of my head Meruem from hunter X hunter
Jun 28, 2021 7:23 PM

Aug 2017
Tendo_GM said:

I agree. Haikyuu has a great cast of characters that help one another and the writing makes it exciting to watch.

Anyway, the best character development is Simon from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and the best writing is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Jun 28, 2021 7:33 PM

Aug 2020
Gintama,rezero,fate zero,monster,steins gate and gurren laggan
Jun 28, 2021 7:35 PM

May 2012
Really hard to say which characters had the "best" character development. I think there are several shows that people mentioned, Hunter x Hunter, Berserk, monogatari, Gungrave, 0079 Gundam, Zeta Gundam etc. I can't really place one over the other.
Jun 28, 2021 7:42 PM

Mar 2012
I think March Comes Like A Lion has the best character development of any show I’ve watched…although, the newest version of Fruits Basket is certainly up there.

Writing? Hmm…Shinsekai Yori? It’s sort of a tossup…I think Steins;Gate is relatively well written. Vinland Saga is another one I’d have in that mix as well.
Jun 28, 2021 7:44 PM

Jun 2021
PoeticJustice said:
Really hard to say which characters had the "best" character development. I think there are several shows that people mentioned, Hunter x Hunter, Berserk, monogatari, Gungrave, 0079 Gundam, Zeta Gundam etc. I can't really place one over the other.

yeah fair enough all of them are equally good in terms of character development.
Jun 28, 2021 7:53 PM

May 2020
I'm biased but my answer is Re:Zero, I like that every character in the show receive character development, especially Subaru's development is fantastic imo, the writing is also pretty good, it's not straightforward and conventional, and the story structure in different and complex but well-written, a lot of things happen at the same time and a lot of the plot points that are established get tied up and answered nicely after every arc.
GilgameshuuJun 28, 2021 7:57 PM
Jun 28, 2021 7:54 PM

Jan 2020
Development: Haikyuu

Writing: Fate/zero

Jun 28, 2021 7:54 PM

Jun 2021
Gilgameshuu said:
I'm biased but my answer is Re:Zero, I like that every character in the show receive character development, especially Subaru.

i heard that subarus development in the novel is really good.
Jun 28, 2021 7:55 PM

Dec 2018
Best character Development: Char Aznable (Gundam Origin, 0079, Zeta and CCA)
Best writing: Legend of the Galactic Heroes
LANARp-0470Jun 28, 2021 8:01 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - 1 hour ago

19 by APolygons2 »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - 5 hours ago

24 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Japanese Anime and its Relationship to the Source Material vs Western Media

LSSJ_Gaming - 3 hours ago

9 by trinitroglycerin »»
5 minutes ago

» Opinion on yaoi ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

draculalover666 - Jan 20, 2022

314 by Memore »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - 4 hours ago

26 by joseifan »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.