Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 24, 2021 9:01 AM

Jan 2020
Spoilers In The Replies I Assume:

I felt a little nostalgic for Death Note today and I just started thinking about Light, was he truly an evil person? I know he had great intentions at the start of the series (and pre-timeskip) but especially after the time-skip, he started growing insane and evil every episode. I know he started kind of emotionless but even then he started growing into a husk of himself as soon as Kira started taking over.

I would love to hear your thoughts!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 24, 2021 9:14 AM
Nov 2019
TheTakora said:

I felt a little nostalgic for Death Note today and I just started thinking about Light, was he truly an evil person? I know he had great intentions at the start of the series (and pre-timeskip) but especially after the time-skip, he started growing insane and evil every episode. I know he started kind of emotionless but even then he started growing into a husk of himself as soon as Kira started taking over.

I mean, evil? 100 percent. You don't kill hundreds of thousands of people without remorse without being vile or evil.

Was it justified, his evil actions? That's hard to say.
Jun 24, 2021 9:19 AM
Jan 2021
Yes without a question of a doubt
Jun 24, 2021 9:20 AM
Oct 2020
No he was in love with L that's why he chose the way of evil
Jun 24, 2021 9:25 AM
Jul 2020
I feel he wasn't evil but the method he choose wasn't right he could correct the world by being a good detective, but he choose death note instead.
P.s idk by I was rooting for him 🤣
Jun 24, 2021 9:29 AM

Jul 2017
A person who kills evil people for good but doesn't think that what he is doing is evil
Then that person is evil
Jun 24, 2021 9:34 AM
Oct 2020
TheTakora said:

Yeah, as much as I love light, that dude was a straight up murderer.
His perception of justice was evidently influenced by the infectious sense of a god, he was killing the “evildoers” while they were locked up. When at the time I was like “what’s the point?” Those people were already served justice, you’re just killing them to fulfill your own sick satisfaction. L, on the other hand I felt like he had understandable intentions to kill because he was going to be revealed as Kira.
Jun 24, 2021 9:36 AM
Jun 2021
Not really but you can say he was evil because he has lost all his kindness and he uses Misa, Takuda many time for his own benefit and he don't have any feelings for them to infant he burns Takuda alive
Jun 24, 2021 9:36 AM

Nov 2016
If this mofo ain't evil then no one is

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 24, 2021 9:40 AM
Mar 2021
TheTakora said:

That’s a tough question. Light wanted a world without sin, but did an evil act by killing hundreds if not thousands of people. And he is a sociopath, so it’s a hard question for me to answer.
Jun 24, 2021 9:42 AM

Apr 2013
He is inherently evil, it’s the point of the entire story. They try to make you root for the antagonist until it gets so bad all you kind think about is damn this guy is fucked, kinda like how breaking bad also did that.

There is not a single redeeming quality about Light and his Kill count is over 120,000 deaths in every possible source some claiming in the 250k+ there is no rectifying that, on top of having used and abused literally every person that helped him and killed most of them the only exception being Ryuk because he literally couldn’t.
Jun 24, 2021 9:52 AM
Sep 2020
He was definetely evil. The murdering isn't justified by some ideology (even if it was very good and nice ideology (beside being god, that was just selfishness)).
Jun 24, 2021 9:52 AM
Dec 2020
Light was never evil, he was possessed by the evil of absolute authority and power (that Death Note and Ryuk).
Jun 24, 2021 10:00 AM

May 2021
TheTakora said:

no he was doing it for the greater good of humanity sure it was bad about l and mellow and L and his ex and L but other than I think what he was doing was good. Btw like ur danganronpa pics
😌👌
Jun 24, 2021 10:05 AM

Jan 2009
he became an extreme authoritarian so ye he is evil

the end does not justify the means a lot of times
Jun 24, 2021 10:06 AM
Jan 2021
He had good intentions at the start but that devolved to a fight for survival.
He could not stop before first l died and later near and mellow.
If he would stop hed simply be arrested and executed.
I would argue light never was truly evil but just struggeling to survive
Jun 24, 2021 10:12 AM
Feb 2021
We all loved L even then We were rooting for Light , weren't we ? It depends on how we perceive Light. But he was 100% evil when Light completely became KIRA. We even feel bad for him in the end and weirdly we also feel satisfied that he got what he deserved. Light and L were like Joker and Batman. Light was sane only till L was alive. After that he went completely insane because balance of power tilted towards him so much to an extent he developed a God-Complex.
Jun 24, 2021 10:35 AM
Apr 2021
Anyone arrogant enough to call themselves a god will inevitably do evil things. The path to hell is paved in good intentions.
Jun 24, 2021 10:54 AM
Dec 2019
No. The Death Note made him evil. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Jun 24, 2021 10:54 AM

Nov 2020
No he's not evil because he handsome.
How someone evil if they handsome?
Jun 24, 2021 11:06 AM
Jul 2019
He was & as soon as he acquired the death note he became corrupted, he had 1 good goal that led to a good thing(killing that criminal saved the children), but his intentions shifted to killing other agents & people who would dare to get in the way of his supposed divine justice.

Jun 24, 2021 11:08 AM
Jun 2021
At first i thought he was going the right way only choosing the worst criminals and writing the names in his deathnote but when things doesn't go according to plan he took some dratic steps
Jun 24, 2021 11:09 AM
May 2021
TheTakora said:

I don’t think he was evil. I would do the same if I would have that mastermind. Killing thousands of people who did crimes is in my opinion the only right thing to handle the evil side of this world. It is normal that you have to get dirty by cleaning the world of bad people.
Jun 24, 2021 11:24 AM

Aug 2020
*Implement Well Yes But Actually No Meme*

Jun 24, 2021 11:42 AM

Jun 2014
No person is 100% evil nor good (except simplistic fictional villains), and that rule applies to Light as well imo.

From the beginning, you see he has moral standards when it comes to behavior from the way he chooses who to kill. The Death Note essentially does grant him God-level powers, but if people were to ever find out, that power would be taken away from him and it would ruin him, so he doesn't have much of a choice but to aggressively protect it until the end.

"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic" - some might view me as a psychopath for saying this, but honestly there's so much truth in this
Jun 24, 2021 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
no

(I was defo rooting for Light the entire time LMAO 🤣 )
But he did go a bit insane in the end
Jun 24, 2021 11:55 AM
Feb 2021
Of course he was. You can have good intentions and still end up evil.
Jun 24, 2021 12:15 PM

Jan 2021
extremely egotistical and narcissistic, that's for sure. I find it hard to call him evil for some reason.
Jun 24, 2021 12:31 PM
May 2021
He was not evil he was just arrogant and that makes me mad
Jun 24, 2021 12:39 PM
Dec 2020
I think not evil bit delusional what he did made a better world despite his methods he did what needed to be done and solved world crime issues lowkey need that irl i mean justice system is ass is the USA he didnt feel anything cause he wanted to be god which is stupid but not evil
Jun 24, 2021 1:07 PM
Nov 2015
FMmatron said:
If this mofo ain't evil then no one is

Dio did nothing wrong except for that one time he killed the doggo
Jun 24, 2021 1:39 PM

Jul 2019
Really need to define what exactly is evil.

He is a fair man, you follow his ideals, he won't kill you. You get in his way, he will kill you. It isn't like he when wild and killed people for no reason.

Also, are people forgetting them 5-6 eps of DN when after Light lost the Death Note, he literally was this average guy, though he did admit that Kira was on a level of thinking similar to him, he just wouldn't aspire to do such things.
Jun 24, 2021 2:05 PM
Oct 2020
Yeah bc even though he was trying to get rid of the bad guys to create a peaceful work he still took hundreds of thousands of people life’s which caused light to have this over obsession of killing not only the bad guys but also innocent people that we’re close in identifying him as Kira
Jun 24, 2021 2:07 PM

Aug 2018
If that power had been put in the hands of someone truly evil, like 90% of MAL users, they'd use it for self-gratification. So no, he's not evil.
Jun 24, 2021 3:19 PM
May 2021
Yeah, I think he was. I think this because once he killed off all of the major criminals he said that he had nobody else to kill and that he would need to start killing the criminals who had simply just shoplifted. If he wasn't evil, he would have stopped there and wouldn't have had the urge to kill more people.
Jun 24, 2021 5:27 PM

Mar 2020
Yes, although the reasoning with which the characters, such as L and the police, used to make the case had a pretty weak foundation.

Light wasn’t evil because he sought and succeeded in killing the wicked, he was evil because he played God.
Jun 24, 2021 5:32 PM

Feb 2020
epidemia78 said:
If that power had been put in the hands of someone truly evil, like 90% of MAL users, they'd use it for self-gratification. So no, he's not evil.

Maybe we have different perspective. From my view point what light did is self gratification too. It just a different kind of desire. Which is exactly why he is evil
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jun 24, 2021 6:08 PM
Feb 2021
No, he just wanted to keep the world safe from criminals and although he did kill some police officers and detectives he only did it because they would've arrested him and that would stop him from clearing the world from criminals
Jun 24, 2021 6:14 PM

Jul 2019
He became twisted, which drove him insane.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jun 24, 2021 6:45 PM
May 2021
I think that he was trying to do the best for people by pushing his ideals onto the world but after that I think that at the end while those ideals were still there, his main goals were changed to just being about himself. He had that guy (I don't remember his name, but it the guy who kept saying "delete!" over and over again) help him because his new goals couldn't be distracted by these ideals of his.

Basically at the end he kept these beliefs that had a good nature so he wasn't a terrible person, but at the end these went away so these made him a "bad person".
Jun 24, 2021 7:02 PM
Feb 2015
Regardless, You can't think of yourself as the judge and executioner on your own and take killing that easily .. Right?
It was his intelligence and his obsession with the being called "Death note" that deeply changed his personality and backfired on him at the end of the series
So, WAS he evil? I don't think so . . IS he evil? According to what he passed through, indeed!
Jun 24, 2021 7:07 PM
Dec 2020
The reason why we watched death note is basically light so I don't think that we think he's that evil
Jun 24, 2021 8:53 PM
Feb 2021
Kamalesh-75 said:
No he was in love with L that's why he chose the way of evil
please for the love of my god in heaven stop
Jun 24, 2021 8:56 PM
Feb 2021
Pre time skip light I would say no. He’s kinda like thanos (I’m sorry lol) he has a good idea but goes about it in the wrong way, in fact I think a lot of people in the death note world liked him and some even worshiped him. but after time skip naw he’s evil
Jun 24, 2021 8:59 PM
Feb 2021
YungKurisuONG said:
I think not evil bit delusional what he did made a better world despite his methods he did what needed to be done and solved world crime issues lowkey need that irl i mean justice system is ass is the USA he didnt feel anything cause he wanted to be god which is stupid but not evil
bro irl… say sike
Jun 24, 2021 10:12 PM

Dec 2018
Well, the author himself said that the point of Light's character was to portray absolute evil so yeah.

I mean in episode 2 he kills the guy pretending to be L without any hesitation while throwing a tantrum like sure that dude was a criminal but Light did not know that.

The fact that he killed a person he thought was innocent so easily without feeling any remorse and so early into the story should be enough to say that he is evil.
Jun 24, 2021 10:14 PM

Jan 2020
Probably. His intentions may have had some hints of good but overall, his actions were evil

Jun 24, 2021 10:27 PM

Apr 2021
His intentions were not completely evil, but he was
Jun 24, 2021 11:21 PM
May 2021
Well i think the reason he did it is...ok but the way he handeled it was kinda ass.
Jun 25, 2021 2:32 AM
May 2021
TheTakora said:

"Great intentions" his sense of justice is faker than youtubers apology, he killed thousands of people and all they did was some minor crime, killed off the FBI, other people who were close to him, after all that he did not feel any guilt
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

128 by puffle9000 »»
Yesterday, 1:05 AM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

28 by Bunnix21 »»
Apr 30, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kei-clone - Mar 21, 2007

121 by misterskinny »»
Apr 27, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 26, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 14, 2007

110 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 9:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.