Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Will this show be slightly better without the human side of the story?
Mar 6, 2021 6:06 PM

Sep 2020
The human side of the story just bores me out to no end. I simply don't care about some jealous idiot or some bland MC who has a bro-complex or some obsessive imouto or some dude with gender dysphoria etc.

I just want to see spider chick having her own adventure and evolving, for some reason I keep thinking about Watamote when I see this female MC. Maybe some brief mentioning of the human side is fine but it greatly annoys me to see the human part sometimes wastes like half of the ep, similar to how I had to endure the sections with Salsa in GoT.

A story with multiple POV is great if you enjoy all POV and it appeals to a more diverse fanbase but sometimes it's a chore to watch if you don't care about some characters and their POV

What do you think? Will you enjoy this show more with less human screen time or not?

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 6, 2021 6:31 PM

Jun 2009
Futari_no_Ossan said:
The human side of the story just bores me out to no end. I simply don't care about some jealous idiot or some bland MC who has a bro-complex or some obsessive imouto or some dude with gender dysphoria etc.

I just want to see spider chick having her own adventure and evolving, for some reason I keep thinking about Watamote when I see this female MC. Maybe some brief mentioning of the human side is fine but it greatly annoys me to see the human part sometimes wastes like half of the ep, similar to how I had to endure the sections with Salsa in GoT.

A story with multiple POV is great if you enjoy all POV and it appeals to a more diverse fanbase but sometimes it's a chore to watch if you don't care about some characters and their POV

What do you think? Will you enjoy this show more with less human screen time or not?

Short answer - No.

Long answer - What would be end goal of said evolutionary spider adventure? Fighting monsters each week till the end of time? Would that be an interesting story? Thats just straight up uninspired powerfantasy wish-fulfillment. i mean there is an audience for that - but that's not waht spider is about.
Mar 6, 2021 7:42 PM

Sep 2020
Talmer said:

Short answer - No.

Long answer - What would be end goal of said evolutionary spider adventure? Fighting monsters each week till the end of time? Would that be an interesting story? Thats just straight up uninspired powerfantasy wish-fulfillment. i mean there is an audience for that - but that's not waht spider is about.

I was thinking something along the line of Kumoko being like Kuroko and just having fun doing random things as a spider while getting as edgy and cringy as possible. Nothing really happens in Watamote too isn't it?

I'm not too opposed to the idea of a future conflict with the human side but Jesus H Christ this author just makes the human side as generic isekai as possible so it'd have been nice to get it skimped through as fast as possible and just a couple mentions here and there to set things up, not prolonged scenes of the teacher yapping on and on about lessons in class or random scenes of the bro-con sister stalking MC or MC fantasizing about wincest with his bro. I'm pretty sure they'll include

As for the plot, is it that interesting compared to a slice-of-life show? IIRC (been a while that I read the novel) this sounds too much like the gazillionth isekai show that was done before, you know
that was done in Mushoku, then SAO, then even before that .Hack series, heck even Star Ocean 3 the video game has done this trope years before.

If given a choice between a slice-of-life isekai show with wish-fulfillment and yet another similar show about god manipulation then personally I'd lean towards the former if I really have to pick my poison

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
Mar 6, 2021 8:05 PM

Jun 2009
Futari_no_Ossan said:

I was thinking something along the line of Kumoko being like Kuroko and just having fun doing random things as a spider while getting as edgy and cringy as possible. Nothing really happens in Watamote too isn't it?

I'm not too opposed to the idea of a future conflict with the human side but Jesus H Christ this author just makes the human side as generic isekai as possible so it'd have been nice to get it skimped through as fast as possible and just a couple mentions here and there to set things up, not prolonged scenes of the teacher yapping on and on about lessons in class or random scenes of the bro-con sister stalking MC or MC fantasizing about wincest with his bro. I'm pretty sure they'll include

As for the plot, is it that interesting compared to a slice-of-life show? IIRC (been a while that I read the novel) this sounds too much like the gazillionth isekai show that was done before, you know
that was done in Mushoku, then SAO, then even before that .Hack series, heck even Star Ocean 3 the video game has done this trope years before.

If given a choice between a slice-of-life isekai show with wish-fulfillment and yet another similar show about god manipulation then personally I'd lean towards the former if I really have to pick my poison

First of all human side serves for world building and introducing forces at play.

2nd

Lastly abotu what this show is about. [redacted] on the 2nd thought to much info even with triple spoiler tags.

TalmerMar 6, 2021 8:46 PM
Mar 6, 2021 8:09 PM

Jan 2020
I actually care more about the human side as of recent. The life of Kumoko is slowly getting more and more repetitive to me and it's interesting seeing something new from another perspective.

Mar 6, 2021 8:42 PM

Mar 2016
Futari_no_Ossan said:
this is honestly a tiny list compared to the amount of slice of life wish fulfilment isekais you could probably find
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Mar 6, 2021 8:50 PM
Dec 2017
Futari_no_Ossan said:

Funny enough the author himself has said that the students story was write generic on purpose (for god sake there's even a character named Sue). The whole purpose of Shun story at the beginning is throw foreshadows to future events.
For example (skipped content), Shun and Katia have a Skill Encyclopedia and at one point Katia points out that there's not a skill that boost EXP, this happen in volume 1. Then in volume 2 we see Kumoko getting "Pride" that is literally skill that boost EXP. This imply the idea that there's someone out there trying to hide the existance of The Ruler Skills.

I think I have already said this in one of the discussion threads, The Story throws the enough data for the reader (or viewer in this case) to be able to piece it together even before the story spit it out the answer in your face.

Later, literally after what happen in episode 9 Shun story becomes it's own thing and his adventure starts.

About the spoiler

It's a little spoiler but it's not that big
Mar 6, 2021 9:00 PM
Nov 2020
Futari_no_Ossan said:
Talmer said:

Short answer - No.

You can't blame the author for human side being bland in anime because if you have read the novels you will know that the only bland person is shun and even he is better than most isekai protagonists.
Mar 6, 2021 9:02 PM
Jan 2021
Futari_no_Ossan said:

You keep falling into the "this fits into Trope X, no now it's Trope Y, now Trope Z" traps that Okina Baba planted.
No, it doesn't fall into that trope either. The world here is FAR more complex, and your only advantage is you are being shown a few different viewpoints of a complex world.
The people in some of those viewpoints simplify the world situation into a "Hero vs. Demon Lord" story. This story is not real - it is a view of the world that is favored by certain people.
Soon, you will start seeing other viewpoints. None of them are complete.
Mar 6, 2021 10:02 PM

Mar 2019
Futari_no_Ossan said:

Yes, i just thinking the same thing, i really dont care whatsoever any of the human, maybe the elf teacher and the little dragon, but the others are extremely boring, i prefer watch the spider only

Maybe she can later gain some party members or friend or whatever but yes they are boring as hell
Mar 6, 2021 10:10 PM

Jun 2011
Yes, the show would be much better without the human side.
Mar 6, 2021 10:21 PM
Dec 2020
No, no and no. The spider is the one who I can't stand lately, so repetitive and boring.
Mar 6, 2021 10:22 PM

Sep 2020
Abredon said:

You keep falling into the "this fits into Trope X, no now it's Trope Y, now Trope Z" traps that Okina Baba planted.

linkhuesitos said:

Funny enough the author himself has said that the students story was write generic on purpose (for god sake there's even a character named Sue).

Hmmm... so you guys are saying it was done on purpose by the author? What's the reason for baiting the readers/viewers? Is it to make the plot twist reveal more impactful?

If that's the case hopefully I'll be impressed with the twists lying ahead. The last time I was impressed with an isekai show plot twist was with Shinchou Yuusha, a short and compact series that doesn't drag on too long on its gimmick. If only Shun has some funny quirk about him like Shinchou Yusha MC that'd make it more entertaining but alas the only people I'm mildly intrigued about in the human camp are just the elf teacher and the girl brainwashed by religion

Mar 6, 2021 11:00 PM
Dec 2017
Futari_no_Ossan said:
Hmmm... so you guys are saying it was done on purpose by the author? What's the reason for baiting the readers/viewers? Is it to make the plot twist reveal more impactful?

If that's the case hopefully I'll be impressed with the twists lying ahead. The last time I was impressed with an isekai show plot twist was with Shinchou Yuusha, a short and compact series that doesn't drag on too long on its gimmick. If only Shun has some funny quirk about him like Shinchou Yusha MC that'd make it more entertaining but alas the only people I'm mildly intrigued about in the human camp are just the elf teacher and the girl brainwashed by religion

My recommendation would be literally overthink everything that happen in the Human Side and that there're parts of their story that only make sense if you go back to watch them again after certain point.

In Episode 1 sensei said "none of the 11 student I have taken care was reincarnated as a monster". In episode 7 we discover that sensei have known about all the student since the beginning, even those that she still have not take to Elf Village.
Hugo's question in Episode 1 was "Oka Do you know about anyone else that was reincarnated as a monster?" This means that while Oka didn't lied, she also didn't told the truth either.
Mar 7, 2021 12:20 AM

Jan 2021
For me, the problem is, there's so much to keep track of. The magic system the spider uses is complicated and adding all the drama from the humans is overwhelming. The creators haven't played their cards well, which I'm told are very good cards, so it's rather unfortunate.
By the way, who's the dude with gender dysphoria? It must be one of the many pieces of info thrown at me at some point.
Ryuk is somewhat relatable

Mar 7, 2021 12:58 AM

Sep 2020
IamVermillion said:

By the way, who's the dude with gender dysphoria? It must be one of the many pieces of info thrown at me at some point.

https://myanimelist.net/character/156534/Karnatia_Seri_Anabald

Mar 7, 2021 3:21 AM
Dec 2020
Everything is important in this series, don't think that some information or character will be there for no reason, also nobody said that you are supposed to like or sympathize with the humans.
Mar 7, 2021 3:36 AM

Mar 2017
I don't think it would be better without the human side. It provides context for what's going on with Kumoko and invaluable world building. Plus some nice little drama.
Mar 7, 2021 7:06 AM
Oct 2019
Nope... You definitely wrong..

Human side of the story is important for the world building...
Mar 7, 2021 7:26 AM

Jan 2016
Abredon said it well.
The series has an extremely long prologue but cookie is already starting to crumble in ep9, then eps 13-24 are going to get real hectic on both sides.
The trouble with the future is that it keeps turning into the present.
Mar 7, 2021 8:43 AM
Jun 2014
Man do NOBODY eles actually LIKE the human side??? Like I get that it's generic and there are a lot of tropes, but damn y'all act like we don't get that with 99% of Anime out here! Human side is more entertaining to me than Kumoko even though she's the obvious better character. Don't forget she was a nobody and antisocial Otome back in their world, so if she wasn't reincarnated as a spider, it would have been the same! It's inside her brain that we get to actually experience that makes her likeable, but her classmates give us the background and context we need because Kumoko basically don't have it. My main interest is in the demons and the demon lord! She looks so epic in the opening. I'm trying to see what she's about, and I'm SOOOO glad this new episode finally introduced them! She obviously was one of the classmates. Let's see how the interaction goes when Kumoko realizes that.
Mar 7, 2021 11:47 AM

Sep 2020
chaosnetwork said:
My main interest is in the demons and the demon lord! She looks so epic in the opening. I'm trying to see what she's about, and I'm SOOOO glad this new episode finally introduced them! She obviously was one of the classmates. Let's see how the interaction goes when Kumoko realizes that.

I'm just conjecting but isn't the demon lord and Kumoko the same person? Same voice, same spider ability, same edginess and the fact that her silk was retrieved and made into a scarf for Shun's bro suggests there's a time skip between her timeline and Shun's timeline. As to why she wages war against humans, that's something I'm looking forward to find out

Mar 7, 2021 11:48 AM

May 2014
Why are people still asking this after episode 9 aired? Sure, it is only a glimpse of what is going on, but it should have explained a few things at least. Did you not get it? Aside from the specific reveals, the broader take-home message was that the story is intentionally misleading.
TheDeedsOfMenMar 7, 2021 12:19 PM
Mar 7, 2021 3:34 PM

Jan 2013
I can't stand the human side of the story.

People who've read the LN explain how they are important they are, but so far they only annoy me.

Futari_no_Ossan said:
...Shun's timeline. As to why she wages war against humans, that's something I'm looking forward to find out

I've seen half an hour of Shun and I already want to wipe out humanity
beast_regardsMar 7, 2021 3:38 PM
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Mar 7, 2021 6:37 PM

Jan 2021
Futari_no_Ossan said:

I'm just conjecting but isn't the demon lord and Kumoko the same person? Same voice, same spider ability, same edginess and the fact that her silk was retrieved and made into a scarf for Shun's bro suggests there's a time skip between her timeline and Shun's timeline. As to why she wages war against humans, that's something I'm looking forward to find out

They have different voice actors.
Mar 8, 2021 10:05 AM
Jan 2015
To be honest, I actually kind of find myself skipping through the spider parts, so I'd say no.
Mar 9, 2021 6:57 PM
Feb 2020
I’m enjoying the human side more tbh. The show would be better if so much of it wasn’t just Kumoko literally reading walls of text.
Mar 10, 2021 11:52 AM
Nov 2018
i might stop watching if it's just kumiko part, why waste time just watching spiders with bad cgi lol
Mar 22, 2021 6:55 PM

Feb 2011
Read the manga and find out...
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Mar 23, 2021 12:04 AM
Aug 2016
Reload said:

Yeah, and get all the mystery which was the MAIN selling point of this show taken away.. I used to read the manga, when i switched to LN, i was so annoyed with what the manga did.
Apr 7, 2021 10:27 AM

Mar 2017
nakkki said:
Reload said:

Yeah, and get all the mystery which was the MAIN selling point of this show taken away.. I used to read the manga, when i switched to LN, i was so annoyed with what the manga did.

I actually like the manga way more. I like things in chronological order and the human side is just annoying. Yes, I know what happens, I do not care, none of them are likeable. After this is over I hope there is a fan made chronological cut.
Apr 7, 2021 12:07 PM
Jan 2021
Noy_Telinu said:
nakkki said:

I actually like the manga way more. I like things in chronological order and the human side is just annoying. Yes, I know what happens, I do not care, none of them are likeable. After this is over I hope there is a fan made chronological cut.

Yeah, let's also take a famous murder mystery and recut it into chronological order based on the testimony of the witnesses, intercutting between them whenever they overlap. It won't make any sense, but It'll be in order.

This is a mystery and there are many reasons for the human side of the human/demon war to be covered early.
Your job is to either enjoy the story or to look for clues in everything shown. There are a lot of clues. You will not find them all, but the ones you find will increase your enjoyment.
Apr 7, 2021 12:38 PM

Mar 2017
Abredon said:
Noy_Telinu said:

Yeah, let's also take a famous murder mystery and recut it into chronological order based on the testimony of the witnesses, intercutting between them whenever they overlap. It won't make any sense, but It'll be in order.

This is a mystery and there are many reasons for the human side of the human/demon war to be covered early.
Your job is to either enjoy the story or to look for clues in everything shown. There are a lot of clues. You will not find them all, but the ones you find will increase your enjoyment.

Meh, do not care for mysteries, gives me anxiety. I am the type to spoil myself to feel at ease. As I said, I know what happens, and yes, I can see the clues, still do not care for the humans.
Apr 9, 2021 1:09 PM
Jan 2021
Reload said:
Manga isn’t the source material. Read the LN.
Apr 9, 2021 4:48 PM
Nov 2007
Human part is absolute trash and is one of the main reason for low score. I know it might come into play in the future, but man it's boring and horrible.
Apr 9, 2021 5:06 PM

Apr 2017
Anime watcher only, I think human side is necessary, otherwise the story is gonna fall apart rather quickly.

But god, the human side of story is so fucking bad. Like, literally bad. Crap narration on their side with info dump after dump and no exposition to answer things at all. Literally seeing unknown characters with unknown motives doing stuff that give zero explanations.

I seriously hope the payout when their stories meet are worth it because it's so dogshit borderline unbearable right now. At least Kumoko's actions scenes are still great.
Apr 9, 2021 6:40 PM

Dec 2013
Human side is definitely weaker but I still think it's interesting to see other students and their circumstances compared to the MC. It's also good that we get to learn more about the world itself compared to the MC, who is currently stuck in a labyrinth.
Apr 9, 2021 8:19 PM
Jan 2021
<partway through reading a murder mystery> X <who later turns out to be the murderer> is boring!
Let's take out all the scenes involving X - then it would be better!

And War and Peace is Boring - Let's take out all the French language! Who needs the backdrop of the Napoleonic War when showing the effects of the Napoleonic period on Russian aristocrats?

Do you see the problem? If you take out a major plot element, the story is destroyed.

This doesn't matter for an ordinary self-insert isekai, but matters a lot if there is actually a real plot.

This exact thing is why the Manga is looked down upon - a major part of the story is missing. That part is necessary to the plot before too long.
Apr 9, 2021 9:24 PM

May 2014
I usually see characters as pieces of the narrative anyway. I don't usually try to self-insert as them very hard or care about them on a deeply emotional level or anything. There are some exceptions, of course. But even if I don't care about most of them so deeply, they can still be successful as narrative devices.

...Hey, maybe that is another reason why I don't like wish fulfillment self-insert stories.
Apr 10, 2021 5:52 AM

Feb 2011
Dyer1 said:
Reload said:
Manga isn’t the source material. Read the LN.
I'm fully aware... -_-
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Apr 10, 2021 6:12 AM

Jan 2013
Abredon said:
<partway through reading a murder mystery> X <who later turns out to be the murderer> is boring!

Kumo is like a murder mystery, except withness is hallucination, detective died dozen years ago, and the murder didn't happen yet.

Abredon said:
And War and Peace is Boring - Let's take out all the French language! Who needs the backdrop of the Napoleonic War when showing the effects of the Napoleonic period on Russian aristocrats?

War and Peace wasn't a book made as entertainment, common people wouldn't have access to it anyway, it was a kind of essay to be read by intellectuals which happens to have some fictional characters.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Apr 10, 2021 8:05 AM
Apr 2018
Are people still complaining about the humans in this story? Kumoko may be the protagonist, but the humans are the foundation the story is built on.

Wanting to make an adaptation of this anime without the humans would be like making a Lord of the Rings adaptation and only wanting to include Bilbo.
Apr 13, 2021 12:17 AM

Mar 2017
Abredon said:

Do you see the problem? If you take out a major plot element, the story is destroyed.

This doesn't matter for an ordinary self-insert isekai, but matters a lot if there is actually a real plot.

This exact thing is why the Manga is looked down upon - a major part of the story is missing. That part is necessary to the plot before too long.

You mean that is why the manga is better, IT MAKES FUCKING SENSE. Look, the LN may be fine with those who like being lied and misdirected and have this shit of back and forth timeline jump while the author is snickering about pulling one over you, but I hate it.

No amount of "But it is important!" is going to make me care about these humans. And yes, again, I know what happens so it isn't from not knowing.

I just like simple stuff you know? No overly complex narratives and making things grand and shit. That is why I love the SOL anime and the isekai and fantasy stuff I love don't try to be epics. The manga was much more enjoyable for me to read and when they do get to the humans besides the vampire, well, maybe they will be more tolerable the 3rd time. But I doubt it.
Apr 13, 2021 1:43 AM
Jan 2021
Noy_Telinu said:
Abredon said:

You mean that is why the manga is better, IT MAKES FUCKING SENSE. Look, the LN may be fine with those who like being lied and misdirected and have this shit of back and forth timeline jump while the author is snickering about pulling one over you, but I hate it.

No amount of "But it is important!" is going to make me care about these humans. And yes, again, I know what happens so it isn't from not knowing.

I just like simple stuff you know? No overly complex narratives and making things grand and shit. That is why I love the SOL anime and the isekai and fantasy stuff I love don't try to be epics. The manga was much more enjoyable for me to read and when they do get to the humans besides the vampire, well, maybe they will be more tolerable the 3rd time. But I doubt it.

If you don't like anime with an actual story and complex characters with hidden motivations, this isn't the anime for you.
Apart from Hugo and Shun, there are NO characters in this story with simple motivations. The Manga is just hiding the unpleasant truth from you. (This is why fans of the source material don't like the Manga-it isn't telling the same story, and it's doing that in an actively harmful way.)
While some might like having "Mystery on the Orient Express" done as a James Bond action movie, publishing such would be harmful to the original story (which is a Hercule Poirrot murder mystery, not a Bond Action story).
Apr 14, 2021 10:37 AM

Mar 2017
Abredon said:
Noy_Telinu said:

If you don't like anime with an actual story and complex characters with hidden motivations, this isn't the anime for you.
Apart from Hugo and Shun, there are NO characters in this story with simple motivations. The Manga is just hiding the unpleasant truth from you. (This is why fans of the source material don't like the Manga-it isn't telling the same story, and it's doing that in an actively harmful way.)
While some might like having "Mystery on the Orient Express" done as a James Bond action movie, publishing such would be harmful to the original story (which is a Hercule Poirrot murder mystery, not a Bond Action story).

Well I like this better than S2 of Slime at least.

And yeah I like the manga, so...
Apr 18, 2021 8:46 PM

Jul 2017
Better question: Would this show be slightly better without the human side of the SPIDER? Such retarded personality. Plus, it has nothing to do with her personality from before death.
Apr 19, 2021 9:02 AM
Sep 2016
akiraic said:
Better question: Would this show be slightly better without the human side of the SPIDER? Such retarded personality. Plus, it has nothing to do with her personality from before death.

And what do you know about Kumo's personality before her death? Cause honestly there was just one flashbacks and it didnt explain much about her.

Kumo's personality was always like this, her problem is that she has social anxiety and has an awful time speaking with others. She can monologue just fine, just dont ask her to talk to other people
Apr 19, 2021 12:16 PM

Mar 2016
akiraic said:
not sure how, most of her personality has always been inside her head before and after reincarnating
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Apr 19, 2021 1:43 PM

Feb 2009
The biggest problem with telling the story chronologically, is that eventually the manga is going to be dominated by the human side of things. Telling both stories simultaneously (early on) breaks up the monotony of the MCs level grind while presenting important information about the larger world. Plus, there will eventually come a point where the story does become more linear (once the MC joins her “party” and they start working their way time-wise towards the events portrayed in the human side of the story).

I understand that some people don’t like the complications that are written into the story. Telling it out of order, misdirection by using common tropes, using unreliable narrators who present the same events very differently, and so on. To those people, I can only say that I respect your opinion and you’re free to enjoy the things you like. Also: this story is probably not for you.
Apr 19, 2021 3:11 PM
Jan 2021
Aure0lin said:
akiraic said:
not sure how, most of her personality has always been inside her head before and after reincarnating

The differences between her personality before and after reincarnation are several important plot points.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

370 by Youtube_Zero »»
May 9, 5:10 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

138 by LunaInkChan »»
Apr 26, 11:17 PM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

12 by SwordBreaker36 »»
Apr 19, 5:07 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2021

162 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 7, 4:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.