Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Apr 3, 2023 12:17 AM

Mar 2014
Damn, straight from "Paul is a flawed but good dad" to him cheating on his wife... (and what he did to Lilia before that even. Dude...)

At least the kids are cute...
Apr 12, 2023 7:27 PM
Jan 2020
i forgor and i need 15 characters
Apr 13, 2023 1:19 AM
Feb 2023
silversaint said:
wait im confused the maid said she seduced Paul but then it is said that Paul sexually assaulted her?
Lilia's encounter with Paul which got her pregnant was consensual. Rudy played it off as Paul raping her, so Zenith wouldn't send Lilia away since that would likely lead to Lila's and the baby's death.

Later when Lilia is recounting her past to Rudy (whom she's thankful to for saving her from being sent away), she says she and Paul were at the same sword school. And Paul r*ped her while she was asleep one night. The impression I got (dunno if this was implied or if my mind is making it up) was that Lilia fell on hard times after school, while Paul and Zenith were successful. So they "rescued" her by giving her a job as their maid.

I agree that Paul is a grade A jerk / criminal scum. But I think the show addresses an important topic which nearly everyone avoids just because it's inconvenient to their idealistic mindset - WTH do you do if that jerk / criminal scum is your father? The guy who provides for and protects your family? Life isn't fair. Most of the time we don't have the luxury of choosing the best option; we have to choose the best compromise.

I mean if your answer to any harmful behavior is "lock him/her up and throw away the key," eventually you end up with a society where everyone is imprisoned and there's nobody left who can actually do anything. Then some dictator or warlord who doesn't share your ideals marches in, takes over because there's nobody left who can fight him, and forces his (very corrupt by your standards) morals upon your society.

My impression of Lilia's backstory is a good example too. If you're homeless and starving, and the guy who r*ped you throws you a lifeline, do you accept it? Or do you adhere to your ideals and starve to death? I'm not saying she should be thankful to her r*pist, or that Paul has redeemed himself of his past crimes. I'm saying life sometimes deals you a crappy hand, and your choices are to make the best of it that you can, or to die.

Introducing these themes to a story may make you uncomfortable, but it makes it more realistic. It's why stories with flawed characters are the best. While the ones with Mary Sues are boring. Their flaws and compromises they need to make make them more relatable.

an another thing, Roxy seems like she doesnt mind sexual harassment like wtf

As for Roxy tolerating sexual harassment, that's an unfortunate reality for many (most?) women. Both historically and today, and also in this fantasy. If they want to get by in the world or keep their job, they just have to tolerate such harassment. I wish it weren't like that. But fundamentally humans are driven by primal instinctual urges. The logical reasoning abilities came later, and aren't always successful at suppressing those primal instincts. A lot of "unfair" sexual behavior stems from this.

Men

• are attracted to younger women with a good figure. They're more likely to survive childbirth and provide healthy children. Is it fair to older women and those without good figures? No, but that's just the way it is.
  • aren't stuck with the consequences of childbearing or often childrearing. Genetically, the best outcome for a man is to impregnate as many women as possible, and skip out so someone else has to bear the costs of childrearing. So they're driven to bed as many women as they can.

Women

• are attracted to strong, wealthy, and successful men. They're more likely to be able to protect and provide for the family and children. Is it fair to weaker, poorer, and less successful men? No, but that's just the way it is.
  • are limited to about one child per year, and are genetically programmed to want to care for the child (physically and mentally). So they're driven to seek out a single spouse for a long-term relationship. (Actually, research seems to suggest they seek out a wealthy/successful spouse to provide a good future for their offspring, then secretly sleep with strong but not-so-successful men so they can have stronger children.)

May 1, 2023 5:18 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Lmao great ep. Paul is so bad bruh 🤣 not an affair with the maid

Funny ep. Enjoying this show!
May 18, 2023 5:29 PM
Apr 2023
Man this episode triggered me so much... I seriously considered dropping the series. It better turns out to be important to have these two babies in this story later on. Otherwise WHY on earth did we need this development other than serving a strange fantasy of impregnation two women? And how the show handles this made me honestly sick in the stomach. Even claiming that the mc so wisely settled this problem. Hard to watch
Jun 28, 2023 12:40 AM

Jan 2018
I thought Paul was a decent guy. But he's a cheater. Instead of resisting he just gave into his desire. Apparently he was scum in his younger days but he didn’t improve much after getting married.

I just find it weird that Lillia thought it was a great idea to reveal she was pregnant to the whole family instead of saying it to Paul secretly first. They could've planned something then. But she just screwed over Paul. I guess anything to make Rudeus look smart.

Also, maybe abortion doesn’t exist in this world. Good.

Oh well, at least Rudeus now got 2 little sisters he'll have to protect.

It was cool that Roxy wrote to Rudeus. Too bad she's stuck with another lewd pupil. And somehow he seems worse than Rudeus.

All Rudeus wanted to do was make some money asap. So why the heck Paul set his son to be basically kidnapped? Did he finally get sent to the gulag for being a smartass? Or maybe they found out Rudeus was going to groom Sylphie. Wonder what's going to happen later.
0451Jun 28, 2023 1:51 AM
Jul 2, 2023 3:34 AM

Dec 2022
Ok but paul cheating with the maid Lilia surprised me ngl like whatz..

Still enjoying this show tho.

Jul 5, 2023 1:56 AM
Nov 2017
This episode unfortunately put me way off. It's not even the main character's fault. When it got to the point where Rudy casually implied Paul raped the maid and the mom still let him live with them, it was concerning and uncomfortable. When it was revealed that Paul actually did rape Lilia in the past and that fact was brushed off like no big deal, I had to turn it off. I did my best to tolerate the degenerate pervert stuff, but downplaying rape and still depicting Paul as just a goofy, perverted dad was too much.

I don't believe the writer did this because it was 'of the times' because even GOT showed rape in a negative light. This comes across that at the time of writing, the writer didn't consider rape that big a deal. It'll be hard to get over the disgust I feel over this series, and that's really unfortunate because I can still see why people consider this show great.
ClosetEnthusiastJul 5, 2023 2:18 AM
Jul 10, 2023 4:41 AM
Aug 2016
The parents aren't perfect, they're actually people
Jul 13, 2023 4:29 AM

Dec 2010
JanPri said:
If anybody would be curious:

- Rudy actually later confessed to Zenith he made the thing about Paul forcing Lilia to have sex with him up (Zenith said she knew, as she would never marry a man who would be able to do something like that)

- Rudy should be actually 6 and not 7. I have no idea why would they change it... Like absolutely at all.

- The anime really toned down the way Sylphie revered and depended on Rudy => Actually most of the scenes with Rudy and Sylphie were simply completely omitted... It' sad (You can't even see Rudy decided to act like an oblivious protagonist on purpose)

- Any talk and/or explanations about magic were skipped

- Finally we got an explanation of the sword-styles although very concise): To reach advanced level in any of them one normally needs 10 years of dedication => Paul is advanced in all of them and he didn't even finish his training 6 years back (he was 19 at the time and reached Advanced level in Sword God style when he was 12)

- Some scenes of Paul fighting with local monsters were skipped - you can see Rudy is still pretty weak and even Paul isn't that strong (It serves to show Rudy isn't OP... absolutely at all)

- They completely skipped all explanations of labyrinths (It's really interesting stuff btw)

- Also they didn't mention any of the lore (Tale of Sword, Water and North God for example)

- Lilia's backstory was largely shortened

- Paul's POV when Rudy asked him to let him and Sylphie the academy was ommited (You can see him thinking of Rudy's and Sylphie's relationship as really unhealthy, because at the rate it is going Sylphie is going to end up completely dependent on Rudy even as a grown up - so he decides to do something about it + some other things)

- Paul needed just 3 steps to beat Rudy... In fact, the whole scene and the "fight" were very different from the LN

- At the moment Paul beated Rudy actually Sylphie came with her dad in tow and started hysterically crying + attacked Paul with intermediate spell using silent spellcasting (she's basically as strong as Rudy at this point)

- When Rudy woke up in the wagon he was bound in rope (which he easily burned off)

- And then there are some very important things that might be adapted in the next episode (Though they should have been in this one, since it was an ending on the 1st LN... We shall see... Although we probably won't ever see Zenith's little side story about being "The Mother of the Greyrat family" and how did she meet Paul)

Anyway, this was the 1st LN. In the end we never got any explanation of the location, the setting and a lot of things were either extremely shortened or, more often than not, completely ommited. And Rudy/Sylphie's relationship was basically nonexistent...

I don't know what do people who haven't read the LN think, but I'm a bit disappointed... If it had at least 5 episodes I think it might be way better. Anyway, the next volume is probably going to have just 3 episodes, so... yeah.
Got it, got it, I'll go and read the LN or WN.
Jul 23, 2023 9:04 AM

May 2015
Paul horniness know no limits!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 2, 2023 5:49 AM
Jan 2018
Could have at least let him say goodbye properly
Aug 5, 2023 4:58 PM
Aug 2021
I dont like paul. fucking douche. Mom was like "Ah its fine, he cheated on me but eeeeehhhhhhhh"
Aug 19, 2023 1:00 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I like the little twists in the first half, like it being Lilia who actually purposely seduced Paul, and how Paul actually banged her back in school and took her virginity in fact. Now a lot has been cut out from the light novels of course which would have rounded out things much more and probably bring a more satisfying close to some open ends, but I think they got at the very least the bare minimum needed to cover what is important. Because now we're moving on, Rudy being tasked with a job which he had asked for, in order for him to earn enough to bring both him and Sylphiette to Ranoa magic school. Which, was the main goal this whole time, but as you may know things happen later down the line that put a hiccup in those plans. Currently if you're watching season 2 you know we are there at that school right now- but it does feel like they went on a long f*cking journey to get there- even though Rudy going to that school finally does feel a bit random when you get to it, imo.

Anyway we're on our way to the next part of this story, and are now leaving the village. It's been 4 episodes, but honestly with how good things were, I wouldn't have minded it if we spent the whole season here. But it's time to move on, because this world has so much in store for us to explore.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 20, 2023 10:57 AM

Feb 2015
Interesting episode. So far I'd summarize the episodes as follows:

Ep 1. The Transportation/Rebirth
Ep 2. The Trauma
Ep 3. The Flaw
Ep 4. The Moral Setting (perhaps)

In this episode, for the first time, we get a real glimpse of the new world, in what kind of world we actually are. Triggered by a crisis (the maid is pregnant, oh my) the characters are for the first time challenged by difficult decisions, forcing the author to reveal morals and values of the setting; and it's not pretty. The morals and values are, essentially, modern Japanese norms, projected back onto traditional Japanese norms (from not too long ago), portrayed in a European, medieval, fantasy dress. That sounds messy, and it is.

For the culturally and historically aware this is a ridiculous mix, of course, BUT, it does not disqualify the story, or cause any significant damage to its final effect. Sure, the authority can be questioned, but not the content, the soul of the story. For this is mere surface stuff.

As for the actual contents of the story, this has been so far a mix of surprising insight and honesty into the human mind, hidden behind an often, mildly, vulgar and obscene outer layer. Meaning, those with eyes to see and ears to hear will take something away from the story. While those who are easily offended, perpetual victims, professional accusers, etc. (the hypocrite demographic) will find much to complain about, leaving the story empty-handed on top of it.
Sep 11, 2023 8:13 PM
Apr 2021
In this episode, Rudeus explains that his foster father raped a girl in her sleep, and then explains why he's ok with it.
Oct 5, 2023 4:39 AM
Nov 2016
The animation is kinda crappy in this episode, I hope this isn't the part where this anime starts losing quality.
Oct 10, 2023 9:40 AM
Dec 2022
"I think its my job"
Oct 17, 2023 3:49 AM
Dec 2022
The whole family seems like being on a verge of breakup and yet not. Rudy is maturing more in this episode.
Nov 2, 2023 2:30 PM
Ice Queen

May 2014
Ouff.. I've enjoyed the show so far, but this episode was kind of gross, in more ways than one.

Like when Rudy is saying his 7yo friend is cute and he wants to prime her for a future relationship. A discussion he also has with his father. And they call it "chasing her ass". Wow. Wtf.
Said father is also apparently a rapist* and a cheater. What a bummer, I liked Paul! Then Rudy manipulates his poor mom into living in the same house as both Paul and the maid he cheated on her with, as if they're this loving family unit now. I hate that the show did that to Rudy's mom, making her a pushover with no agency.

The show does a good job of explaining many of Rudy's shortcomings and bad personality traits based on his past experiences, and we can symphatize with him as a flawed character. But in some instances, like in the two aforementioned scenarios, he simply comes off as nasty, mean and selfish. I hope we see some good chatacter development from him going forward!

*Before anyone argues that it was consensual between Paul and Lilia: yes it was, the time that he cheated with her. It was not consensual that time in the past - the show outright states that he forced himself on her while she was sleeping. Anyone who thinks differently can go back and rewatch the ep. From my pov, to have a character seduce the man who raped her in the past is a really gross move on the writers part. I have a hard time believing a rape victim would come work for their rapist as a maid, lust for them, and seduce them. If they did, they must be psychologically scarred, or maybe have ulterior motives. I didn't see any of that here, so that leads me to belive that the writers must have a limited understanding of women, rape, and just normal human behavior, or they just ignore all of that to tell a very morally skewed story.

All that aside, this is a fantasy show. Maybe I shouldn't expect to much realism from it.

I'll keep watching and see where it goes. Hopefully it will improve, like I said those first three episodes were promising, and I hope it eventually tones down all of the weird sex stuff. It'll be better without it.
Nov 6, 2023 1:22 PM
Oct 2017
this world is awesome and him and his dad are already two of my favorite characters ever lol
Dec 6, 2023 2:11 PM
Apr 2018
It was really unexpected to see plot twist behind that peaceful athmosphere. Paul really seems to be cunning and kinda abusive person, i haven't expected that he cheated on his wife with maid. Btw Rudeus was the key person, who saved maid's life. And so on he gained more respect from family + decided how to improve his own magical skills. Glad to see how Rudeus gonna work and study in the future.
Dec 13, 2023 7:28 AM

Nov 2023
Oof, poor Sylphy... Hope you happy soon
Dec 21, 2023 6:43 PM
Dec 2023
the furry really messed with my mind. I am contemplating if i should continue watching this thing.
Dec 21, 2023 6:44 PM
Dec 2023
the furry really messed with my mind. I am contemplating if i should continue watching this thing.
Dec 30, 2023 5:49 AM
Dec 2023
The cheating trope definitely made me so uncomfortable, iy was hard for me to look at both of them holding their baby at the same time
Mar 15, 4:36 PM

Jun 2020
This episode made me question a lot about how writer thinks. Thats a Anime so not all topics needs to be deep and explained good. But for one this anime try to explain some important topics like Trauma, feeling of abandonment, try to be better version of yourself etc. And than we have this episode that just ruined two side characters and not only that ruined main character. Starting with cheating part . So we have two person who betrayed Zentih who trusted them than we have a stupid little boy who cried to her that he wanted another brother not only that we have a Zenoth who accepts a man who sexually assaulted someone. Not one not two THREE wrong situation in 5 fucking minutes and we need to except them as they are normal. Yea he is cheated but he is great dad. It’s was said to us and like 3 minutes later we learn that oh look at this he really re#ed the maid when they were young and we just moving on. Like why this information was even needed? It’s just ruined Paul and that’s it. It’s was not needed , it didint effect anything. Like are you guys okay who tf writed this.

And than we have Rudy which is supposedly a character who has flaws but you know what in this point I find to hard to see anything good about him. Everything he do has a bad side and most of thinks he says ends up being creepy I really think that most people how creepy was a think he said about Sylphy. I hope it was a bad translation. turn him into the girl he wants and it’s comes after in a scene he thinks that he’s 40 now. Great what else this amazing show gonna show me
Mar 26, 2:10 AM
Dec 2022
So Lilia is pregnant paul moment what is this LMAO
Lilia staying yippee its Paul over... Rudy devil baby moment hes no longer devil baby Norn Aisha
bro is going crazy on Paul LMAO PAUL INSANE LMFAO Pauls womanizing stat is maxxed Slyphie moment RUDY MOMENT PAUL MOMENT LMFAO

ROXY STILL IN THE SHOW RAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Rudy going to the magic university?

Ghislaine OH FIGHT that was kinda peak
Mar 26, 8:12 PM

Dec 2020
Nah, hell no. I'm disgusted, sad and disappointed at the same time. I feel so bad for Zenith. Paul has the sweetest, most beautiful wife you could imagine, and yet he still cheats on her with the maid and even gets her pregnant.

This was uncomfortable too watch, not sure if I wanna finish this series.
Apr 2, 9:14 PM
May 2023
Very good episode, I love that Rudeus decided to save Lilia by making her look like the victim and uniting her with the mother while the father received all the punishment for his actions.

Lilia made a big story of why Rudeus saved him when the reason is simpler: it was an exchange of favors hahaha thanks for taking care of the "holy relic" and this is interesting because it shows us how Rudeus is, a 40 year old pervert who tries to hide this from others.

The conversations between father and son about women at that age, mmm....

I had forgotten about Ghislaine's character design, hahaha the face Rudeus makes was almost like mine.

Paul is learning from his mistakes, he already knows it's complicated to argue with his son so it's easier to knock him out hahaha

PS: I was guessing Roxy knew Rudeus was looking at her panties hahaha

PS2: If the Opening stays like this.... I love it, because I don't like the OP and the ED showing things, this OP advances in the same episode until he disappears, although the ED does show things (he doesn't show much either but I'm one of those who doesn't want to know the least bit)
Apr 22, 9:57 AM

Oct 2020
I'm liking the show, but somehow hated this episode.

Felt like It tried to normalise Cheating,........not quite linear with my thoughts.
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Apr 25, 12:46 PM

Jan 2021
Paul really is a piece of work
May 9, 4:32 AM
Apr 2024
what will happen? I'm courious to continue this
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MegamiRem - Dec 31, 2020

414 by MRP044 »»
May 13, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2021

470 by marta_valse »»
May 12, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2021

230 by marta_valse »»
May 12, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2021

337 by marta_valse »»
May 11, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2021

440 by marta_valse »»
May 11, 4:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.