Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Jan 14, 2021 7:59 PM

May 2020
Accelise_ said:
StupidSimp69 said:

Build up? Their relationship starting from literally episode 1 up to this point was the build up. Author already fleshed them out well enough already, I don't see how you think this is "forced", Subaru is not forcing Emilia to love him.

How it's not be forced? I mean, he did force Emilia to get her memory and lose Pack. I don't think it's the best way. Even breaking her promise and it ended up being a yelling scene. Feels awkward.

I don't think Puck would've entrusted Emilia to Subaru unless he really trusted Subaru, also I don't think Subaru would bring up such an idea that will lead to more suffering for Emilia, it may be that Puck was the one who thought of breaking their contract in the first place. The argument between Subaru and Emilia was portrayed realistically, that's how most couple arguments go, there's usually a lot of yelling, a lot of back and forth and nonsensical and incoherent words, but their emotions speak for themselves, I'm glad the author wrote it this way.
GilgameshuuJan 14, 2021 8:03 PM
Jan 14, 2021 8:14 PM
Jan 2021
I kinda felt like Otto deserved his own episode.
Damm subaru finally got for what he died countless times for....he took the phrase "i can die for you" to a whole new level
Jan 14, 2021 8:45 PM

Nov 2019
My Head is spining when Saburu Says those magic words to Emila -_-
Jan 14, 2021 9:02 PM

Oct 2016
Amazing episode, it's also amazing how White Fox manages to make episodes this long.

Otto's backstory was cool, it was already hinted before that Otto has abilities, so it's cool to see it in action. Gaddamn, Garf got his ass beat by Ram lmao, no match in hand to hand combat.

And of course the second half of the episode, Subaru and Emilia's argument was super great. Rieri did a fantastic job and Subaru's va as always don't miss. The insert song was also fantastic. Great episode, definitely my favorite so far.
Jan 14, 2021 9:08 PM

May 2020
Aramey said:
Honestly this is probably the first Re:Zero episode where I had to take few breaks, because it felt like a drag. That Otto backstory and power came out of nowhere and felt kinda unnecessary. I was fine with Otto as he was - some regular weak guy who became Subaru's good friend. Does everyone need to be special?

Otto's power was first introduced in the finale of Season 1, so it did not "come out of nowhere".

And I never bought this Subaru and Emilia relationship so that whole dialogue was pretty cringy to me. I was really hoping Season 2 will make me warm up to Emilia's character and the Frozen Bonds OVA was a pretty promising start, but that was it. For some reason the author decided to put Rem in a coma and instead of using this perfect time frame to make Emilia shine he turned her into a crying useless mess for 14 episodes while also introducing new girl to steal the show from her... I guess I just want her to grow a backbone, be more active and start having normal conversations with Subaru without him going into his usual "You're perfect, I believe in you, Emilia-tannn!" simp mode.

Except, you're thinking as if Emilia is a special person that will just overcome any problem in front of her, which is not the case. The author used this first 14 episodes of Season 2 to build up Emilia's character, showing her strengths, weaknesses, and introduces the obstacles she has to face, then he develops her character before making her shine, and take the spotlight. Also you definitely skipped their argument... Subaru says repeatedly this episode that Emilia is not perfect, "You're not a Goddess, or an Angel, you're just a normal girl" and repeatedly mentions how useless she has been, but despite that he still loves her and will believe in her.
Jan 14, 2021 9:29 PM
Dec 2019
so garfeil was just standing there the entire time lmao
Jan 14, 2021 9:47 PM
Nov 2020
Aramey said:
Honestly this is probably the first Re:Zero episode where I had to take few breaks, because it felt like a drag. That Otto backstory and power came out of nowhere and felt kinda unnecessary. I was fine with Otto as he was - some regular weak guy who became Subaru's good friend. Does everyone need to be special?

And I never bought this Subaru and Emilia relationship so that whole dialogue was pretty cringy to me. I was really hoping Season 2 will make me warm up to Emilia's character and the Frozen Bonds OVA was a pretty promising start, but that was it. For some reason the author decided to put Rem in a coma and instead of using this perfect time frame to make Emilia shine he turned her into a crying useless mess for 14 episodes while also introducing new girl to steal the show from her... I guess I just want her to grow a backbone, be more active and start having normal conversations with Subaru without him going into his usual "You're perfect, I believe in you, Emilia-tannn!" simp mode.

Come on, You watched one and a half-season of ReZero AND you still have trouble understanding the characters?
Jan 14, 2021 9:48 PM
Jun 2016
Subaru is such an abussive and machist character omg I could not belive this episode
Jan 14, 2021 9:58 PM
Jun 2016
ExcaliburAO said:
swordmaster2551 said:
Amazing 1st half, boring 2nd half. I really could not care less about Subaru and Emilia's relationship since he's just saying the same stuff as before he knew anything about her. It's a fake love and has never come across as genuine, just implanted in him along with return by death.

If you don’t care about Subaru or Emilia then why are you watching re zero? They are literally the 2 main characters.

I really like Emilia as a character, she feels a lot like a a real person, on the other hand I hate Subaru, his monologue was super selfish and made it look like emilia owes something to him, when subaru always wanted to help emilia even if she didn't
Jan 14, 2021 10:01 PM

Mar 2018
NovaLord said:
I love this anime, I really do, its one of my favorites, but Subaru's 'love' for Emilia makes no fucking sense and its by far the weakest part of the story. Emilia had some very valid criticisms only for Subaru to brush them off by repeatedly stating that he loved her. That doesn't change what she had to say.
This episode was great, the directing and everything where well done, but without any form of buildup towards their relationship it ends up being feeling flat and fake.
I wish the author would at least try and flesh out both Emilia and Subaru before forcing this romance on the viewer. Had we had that build up, the episode would've been far better.

I agree with you. When LN readers said that Emilia gets development in this season I was not expecting this. Subaru here comes of as a bit manipulative. I thought Subaru would bring up reasonable answers to Emilia's questions but he only repeated one line. And as you said, it would've been fine if there was build up to this scene, atleast in this current timeline. Rem and Subaru's scene worked better because it had build up, the build up for the then current events for Subaru to lose hope and the events that transpired in the previous arc for Rem:s affection. Here, Emilia's mind is too underdeveloped for things like romantic love. She doesn't organically develop those feelings for Subaru, never. It's Subaru who is pushing his love on Emilia. And hence, Emilia being fragile minded was manipulated by Subaru. I still feel sorry for Emilia. Each and every one of the people near to her did dirty to her. Puck leaves her after not coming out for her most vulnerable ordeal. Subaru is pushing his feelings onto Emilia and manipulates her. Now, I'm not saying they did that on purpose but the results matter. This scene could've been way better if this was just a pep talk without the confession and kissing part. That could've come later after all things have been resolved imo.
Jan 14, 2021 10:11 PM

Apr 2017
So we’re just gonna ignore the fact Emilia’s eyes lit up with Subaru’s image at the end when she looking for something to keep pushing forward?
Jan 14, 2021 10:17 PM

Feb 2015
MargiticDesu said:
ExcaliburAO said:

If you don’t care about Subaru or Emilia then why are you watching re zero? They are literally the 2 main characters.

I really like Emilia as a character, she feels a lot like a a real person, on the other hand I hate Subaru, his monologue was super selfish and made it look like emilia owes something to him, when subaru always wanted to help emilia even if she didn't

subaru = r/niceguys starter pack.
Jan 14, 2021 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
payp20 said:
So we’re just gonna ignore the fact Emilia’s eyes lit up with Subaru’s image at the end when she looking for something to keep pushing forward?
most likely Subaru is Emilia m's reason to believe now
Jan 14, 2021 11:04 PM

May 2020
Alpha_Druid said:
NovaLord said:
I love this anime, I really do, its one of my favorites, but Subaru's 'love' for Emilia makes no fucking sense and its by far the weakest part of the story. Emilia had some very valid criticisms only for Subaru to brush them off by repeatedly stating that he loved her. That doesn't change what she had to say.
This episode was great, the directing and everything where well done, but without any form of buildup towards their relationship it ends up being feeling flat and fake.
I wish the author would at least try and flesh out both Emilia and Subaru before forcing this romance on the viewer. Had we had that build up, the episode would've been far better.

I agree with you. When LN readers said that Emilia gets development in this season I was not expecting this. Subaru here comes of as a bit manipulative. I thought Subaru would bring up reasonable answers to Emilia's questions but he only repeated one line. And as you said, it would've been fine if there was build up to this scene, atleast in this current timeline. Rem and Subaru's scene worked better because it had build up, the build up for the then current events for Subaru to lose hope and the events that transpired in the previous arc for Rem:s affection. Here, Emilia's mind is too underdeveloped for things like romantic love. She doesn't organically develop those feelings for Subaru, never. It's Subaru who is pushing his love on Emilia. And hence, Emilia being fragile minded was manipulated by Subaru. I still feel sorry for Emilia. Each and every one of the people near to her did dirty to her. Puck leaves her after not coming out for her most vulnerable ordeal. Subaru is pushing his feelings onto Emilia and manipulates her. Now, I'm not saying they did that on purpose but the results matter. This scene could've been way better if this was just a pep talk without the confession and kissing part. That could've come later after all things have been resolved imo.

Here's a bit of context from the Novels. I hope it helps you better understand why Subaru confessed, and kept repeating his love for Emilia over and over again.

Jan 15, 2021 12:20 AM

Apr 2008
Gilgameshuu said:
Here's a bit of context from the Novels. I hope it helps you better understand why Subaru confessed, and kept repeating his love for Emilia over and over again.

I understand what you're trying to say, but no one can pretend that an anime-only fan knows what happens in the LN. I'm sure that this scene makes more sense in the novel because that gives time and means to flesh out characters' thoughts, and I'm looking forward to read that part, but in anime format you need to convey certain things differently for those that have no context, or eveything just falls flat.

I'm still not convinced on why this scene resonated so much with people that are not just Subaru+Emilia shippers. In my opinion, what has been lacking in this second season is an actual psychological development for Emilia to make the viewer actually empathize with her. Yeah, we've seen how miserable she becomes in the various timelines depending on the various outcomes, but it was almost always filtered by the eyes of Subaru, which is a hugely biased view.

A couple of episodes fully focused on fleshing out Emilia's psychology during S2 (pretty much as they did with Rem in S1, which is one of the reasons why her character arc worked so well) would have made a huge difference, in my opinion. The only time we managed to deeply explore Emilia's psychology was the Frozen Bond OAV (which was a freaking good one, I really liked it and finally made me empathize and love Emilia as an actual character, as S1 didn't give her enough time), but that's not enough to understand what's her opinion and feelings on Subaru in this part of S2. That's why some find the kiss scene so "unbalanced".

I like Emilia and Subaru as single characters, I really do. But as they are right now, I can't see anything that should make me ship them (except the fact that Subaru loves her) and their relationship just feels forced to me. And honestly, to all those that say "Emilia is the main heroine, this is just natural"... What about no? I can't accept to ship the two MCs just because they're MCs, not when it comes to actual story and character development.

For now, I just think that Subaru has a very bad approach towards Emilia (despite having no ill intentions), and that Emilia is too vulnerable to resist him (having not many other elements to understand her psychology and her opinion on Subaru). They're justified because they're teenagers, yes, but that's the very reason why I think this "love story" is so wrong and doesn't make sense, in this moment.
RomoresJan 15, 2021 12:45 AM
Jan 15, 2021 2:10 AM
Feb 2018
everyone fighting until death

emilia: "crying"

subaru saying "i love you" many times and literally fighting for emilia

emilia be like: "where is puck?"

LOL just kidding :D
Jan 15, 2021 2:38 AM
Aug 2018
It was gratifying to see some of my favorite chapters getting animated. I had many misgivings with the adaptation initially, but I consider it satisfying after having rewatched it multiple times. It elegantly furnishes Emilia and Otto's characterization, along with conveying most of the core themes and messages accurately. I also love how Tappei subtly slips in several nuances and parallels in the story.

Emilia runs away from everyone and hides in the tomb. Subaru runs away from his reality and caves in his room.

Emilia wants Subaru to get angry and rebuke her. Subaru wants his dad to get angry and rebuke him.

Emilia is scared of Subaru's love, support, and expectations despite her failures and shortcomings. Subaru is scared of his parents' (and other people's) love, support, and expectations despite his failure and shortcomings.

In crux, both feel that they are a failure and won't match people's expectations. They consider themselves useless and that it should be natural for people to abandon them.

Bonus:
Is it really okay for someone like me to be loved? (Emilia - S1 Ep25)
Is it really okay for someone like me to be saved? (Subaru - S2 Ep13)

They believe they don't have the right to be happy, to receive love and compassion from others.

Additionally, the icing on the cake is the fact that both Reason to Believe and Parent & Child conclude with the message, "What matters is not how you start, nor the middle, but how it ends." In P&C, it was Naoko conveying it to Subaru to encourage him. In RtB, it is Subaru passing the same to Emilia to encourage her.

If we perceive this in the context of all these parallels in their emotional struggles & internal conflicts, we can deduce a lot more understanding that Subaru would employ the same advice that had helped him, to help Emilia. Presumably, Subaru realized these parallels himself before he proceeded to comfort Emilia.

Emilia's demeanor in later parts of Arc4 further reinforces these parallels.

Prominently (the sentences inside quotes "" are verbatim from the LN):-

There are quite a few more instances, which I will list later.

rakp333Jan 15, 2021 6:29 AM
Jan 15, 2021 2:44 AM

Apr 2008
Cormac07 said:
40 episodes till now yet some still can't understand the characters.

The scene showed how selfish Emilia is. She wanted his love over his explanation. She feared that he would stop loving her.

Subaru's lines were cheesy because he didn't know what to answer. Things that Emilia did for him never happened in the successful timeline. Hence,every reason Subaru gave were superficial to Emilia.
Similar to the case of Satella and Subaru.

Isn't Emilia the same person who forced herself to love Subaru so that he won't stop loving her.(Episode 11— Taste of Death).
She went on to kiss him to prove her love.
Some still can't remember that.
She wants his love but does she reciprocate his feelings? No.
That's the kind of person Emilia is.
Can't blame her for that.(SPOILERs)

Soon a certain someone will confront Emilia for her hypocrisy and being a damsel in distress.

Subaru's explanation was vague but his feelings were true. Satella's explanation was vague too but she did love him. Otherwise he wouldn't have RBD. He can't tell her that he has been Returning by death again and again just for her.

Subaru wouldn't have made the bet with Roswaal if he never believed in Emilia. He already lost his qualification.
Even Echidna wanted Subaru to take the trials.

In my opinion, Emilia was more than entitled to be angry in that situation. She was broken and disoriented, it's just normal for her to be like that.

What I really didn't like it's how Subaru managed to reach her without really saying anything meaningful or convincing. She was indeed still unconvinced before he kissed her. I know that he loves her, but seriously, is a kiss really the solution to everything? After the series gave us S1E18 and S2E04? Was being kissed actually an act that Emilia considers very important? If this was supposed to be a deep or sweet moment, in my opinion the anime really didn't manage to deliver it as it should have. What I saw was just two severely socially-awkward and mentally unstable people that just decided to trust each other on no solid basis (save for Subaru's obsessive "I love you"s). Is this really a good thing? It's probably just me that don't understand, as 90% of people liked it.
RomoresJan 15, 2021 3:19 AM
Jan 15, 2021 3:25 AM
Aug 2018
Romores said:

What I really didn't like it's how Subaru managed to reach her without really saying anything meaningful or convincing.

Everything Subaru said was convincing, meaningful, and significant. It was his honest confession and his display of affection that reached her. If anything, it has been indirectly conveyed multiple times that Emilia has feelings for Subaru. And acts of intimacy like hugging, kissing, caressing, etc., are universal between couples to comfort the other and calm them down.

And it was not just the kiss; it was what Subaru followed up with after the kiss. Rewatch that. He told her "You will find your precious feelings in your memories. The reason to keep you going" which made her more accepting of her incoming memories instead of invariably rejecting her new self. What Subaru meant was that not all of her memories would be traumatic or bad; there would be stuff that she will treasure for the rest of her life. That in her memories, she would find reasons to continue persevering and progress in life. And Subaru was indeed true here, as you shall find out during Emilia's trials.

And if you try to analyze Emilia's demeanor, you'll understand that she tries to hold back her tears when around others. Emilia is stubborn. Emilia wants to be useful. Emilia doesn't want to be seen as inadequate. Emilia doesn't want to show her weakness to the person who said that he loved her despite her weak faults.

Furthermore, after a few episodes, you will also hear from Emilia about some of the reasons that influenced her. In her mind, there is a tiny prospect that Subaru may be lying, but if that is the case, then she will convert those lies into hopes & wishes. She has mustered the resolution and will to convert those lies into reality.

Jan 15, 2021 3:36 AM

Apr 2008
rakp333 said:
Everything Subaru said was convincing, meaningful, and significant. It was his honest confession and his display of affection that reached her. If anything, it has been indirectly conveyed multiple times that Emilia has feelings for Subaru. And acts of intimacy like hugging, kissing, caressing, etc., are universal between couples to comfort the other and calm them down.

Indirectly conveyed is not enough, in my opinion. So many times people misunderstand other people's feelings despite their acts. I know that Emilia has always had some kind of feelings for Subaru, but how can you be sure about what is she thinking if you don't show it?

rakp333 said:
And it was not just the kiss; it was what Subaru followed up with after the kiss. Rewatch that. He told her "You will find your precious feelings in your memories. The reason to keep you going" which made her more accepting of her incoming memories instead of invariably rejecting her new self. What Subaru meant was that not all of her memories would be traumatic or bad; there would be stuff that she will treasure for the rest of her life. That in her memories, she would find reasons to continue persevering and progress in life. And Subaru was indeed true here, as you shall find out during Emilia's trials.

That's probably the only meaningful sentence that Subaru said in that situation, in my opinion, but also the one that worries me the most. He's too sure about something he has no idea, and I know that he's doing this because he really loves (or thinks to love) Emilia and wants to be with her, but at the same time I see this as potentially dreadful. Maybe I'm just overanalyzing and everything will work out as they want, but being this Re:Zero I'm not really sure about this. It just looks excessively convenient, to me. That's it.

rakp333 said:
And if you try to analyze Emilia's demeanor, you'll understand that she tries to hold back her tears when around others. Emilia is stubborn. Emilia wants to be useful. Emilia doesn't want to be seen as inadequate. Emilia doesn't want to show her weakness to the person who said that he loved her despite her weak faults.

And why didn't they show this properly before the kissing scene? It would have made so much more sense to me on a character development standpoint and to create a proper build-up.

rakp333 said:
Furthermore, after a few episodes, you will also hear from Emilia about some of the reasons that influenced her. In her mind, there is a tiny prospect that Subaru may be lying, but if that is the case, then she will convert those lies into hopes & wishes. She has mustered the resolution and will to convert those lies into reality.

This is something I'm looking forward too, indeed.
RomoresJan 15, 2021 3:39 AM
Jan 15, 2021 4:32 AM
Jun 2016
Hakisak said:
MargiticDesu said:

Hakisak said:
MargiticDesu said:

Lol,true. He really is like that
Jan 15, 2021 5:58 AM

Jun 2020
Romores said:
Cormac07 said:
40 episodes till now yet some still can't understand the characters.

The scene showed how selfish Emilia is. She wanted his love over his explanation. She feared that he would stop loving her.

Subaru's lines were cheesy because he didn't know what to answer. Things that Emilia did for him never happened in the successful timeline. Hence,every reason Subaru gave were superficial to Emilia.
Similar to the case of Satella and Subaru.

Isn't Emilia the same person who forced herself to love Subaru so that he won't stop loving her.(Episode 11— Taste of Death).
She went on to kiss him to prove her love.
Some still can't remember that.
She wants his love but does she reciprocate his feelings? No.
That's the kind of person Emilia is.
Can't blame her for that.(SPOILERs)

Soon a certain someone will confront Emilia for her hypocrisy and being a damsel in distress.

Subaru's explanation was vague but his feelings were true. Satella's explanation was vague too but she did love him. Otherwise he wouldn't have RBD. He can't tell her that he has been Returning by death again and again just for her.

Subaru wouldn't have made the bet with Roswaal if he never believed in Emilia. He already lost his qualification.
Even Echidna wanted Subaru to take the trials.

In my opinion, Emilia was more than entitled to be angry in that situation. She was broken and disoriented, it's just normal for her to be like that.

What I really didn't like it's how Subaru managed to reach her without really saying anything meaningful or convincing. She was indeed still unconvinced before he kissed her. I know that he loves her, but seriously, is a kiss really the solution to everything? After the series gave us S1E18 and S2E04? Was being kissed actually an act that Emilia considers very important? If this was supposed to be a deep or sweet moment, in my opinion the anime really didn't manage to deliver it as it should have. What I saw was just two severely socially-awkward and mentally unstable people that just decided to trust each other on no solid basis (save for Subaru's obsessive "I love you"s). Is this really a good thing? It's probably just me that don't understand, as 90% of people liked it.

I think you're just overthinking, and it may also apply to the same people that has as similar opinion as yours. If some people find the kiss scene to be somewhat "unimportant" and “cringy”, then it's an ignorance to the character's passionate feelings that both of them really needs to vent out and accept each other, for the relationship between them is really unhealthy.

Just reflect on Emilia's distress first.

- How has she been gone through the racial discrimination against her own elf race, especially she has 95% similar appearance to Satella (who is a controversially historical figure that this lore mystery needs to be unraveled into an actual degree in the future)? Especially, if you already have watched Frozen Bonds movie when she has been introduced to the world that is now far different.

- How has she been doing to clear out her social reputation as a sole surviving elf? Of course, being a royal candidate with democratic ideal is her selfish goal to do that, but is it still worth to fight through it? Well, getting into politics without a sign of irresponsibility means that it takes more charisma, frankly critical rationalism, confidence, and humility towards the majority's demand and changes to be a suitable rule, but in actuality, she doesn't have those kind of attributes because she isn't too socially exposed throughout how the world works. Being wary of most things is totally the lacking core for her confidence.

- Also, to Emilia herself, Subaru's genuine love for her feels like his suffocating idealization of Arc 3, as she refuses to believe him and take his words at face value. "Don't talk like I'm just some doll!" especially cuts deep, but it is precisely because he doesn't see Emilia as "just some doll" (anymore) that he left her side (among other reasons), not letting her entrust him with everything. Finally, the end touches upon the other main source of her struggles—the fear of how she'll turn out after regaining all of her memories, and whether she'll still be herself. If the point of origin is wrong, doesn't that make the path walked and the destination all wrong as well? Now, does it sound deep and complex? Maybe, there's a meaningful context from that certain dialogue. Well, think about it, is Subaru being overly nice to her feels concerning for herself too?

Now let's reflect on Subaru's side:

- At the very first moment of this entire series, do you pay attention to Subaru have been reading some manga with romance content on it, especially in the convenience store scene? How does it feel when he also sighs towards the bypassing couple? Well, of course, I can consider him to be a romance connoisseur with thirst of love which is why he has been acting overly confident with Emilia (and around the public space after the prologue) since he knows the guide on how to "act like a proper man for a lady". Well, tbh, I really feel annoyed by their first meeting and his quirkiness, but as soon as they then keep the casual conversation ongoing, it really feels natural and tranquil for them to talk about anything they have been curious about. Of course, it's like you're having a first proper conversation with your crush while you expect to have a constant heartbeat, but instead, they still keep cool and wholesome to each other.

Not until that Court Scene when he pridefully yet amateurly stands and confronts to the officials regarding the discrimination, but Julius handles the behavioral criticism towards Subaru by being overly confident. Well, tbh, Subaru does deserve that kind of treatment, but that itself isn't enough for him to be realized. He still has a feeling of Karma for being "harshly" treated by Julius since he is a hot-headed character, which is why some people don't like him because he really needs to keep his mind cool.

Imagine watching
, and try to distinguish. Which one can you blame towards? The hot-headed one who had taken so much steroids? Or the guy (Youtuber) who had been deadlifting for many seconds?

Well, if you choose the hot-headed one, then that applies the same when you and some others mostly feel annoyed towards Subaru's behavior. Going way over-the-top isn't decency's cup of tea, but it makes sense that calming himself down will not work because trying to recontextualize the whole, harsh scenario and shoehorn him into a positive light will be too heavy to stop it. It's like you cannot easily insist a moderator to stop being groomed by a beautiful adult female streamer because everything they spend with each other have been overwhelming in regards to their sexual relationship. *sigh* Simps be simps, I guess.

Luckily, his rejection towards Rem really shows how he has been overly loyal towards Emilia because he has been spending more valuable time with Emilia despite Rem treats Subaru more caringly than Emilia. However, feeling that he rejects the ideal of harem shows how Subaru's decision to enlighten himself over the acceptance and appreciation towards Rem's help being greedily healthy for himself. Not to say that he doesn't wish for a polygamy, but he really has to hold himself before his sense of slothful fragility will go even worse (which if he did, it could lead to Sloth IF story when he abandoned everything that happened within Roswaal's domain).

Now, to the peak episode of Episode 4 of S2, if you notice how he had been built up to be socially prideful of himself for achieving many medals, some and some people could neglect his presence due to him being "perpetually and perfectly fine" within their perspective... or the rest could have a need to stay away from him because he has been overly exaggerating for how many times he had been achieving... which it leads to the context for him being apart from each other, leaving himself to be a social outcast due to his lacking sense of humility. I can still call Subaru a "prideful and greedy person" for forcing himself to fit into a right standard and reputation, but his methods might not be effective and pleasant too. This is why Roswaal mentions about his "greed" for bringing back what and how he needs to resolve this situation before it will get worse ever since he has no choice to stop himself around the corner. You can call that as Protagonist Compliant.

Speaking of "no choice", why do you call that kiss "not resolve to the problem"? Ever since they have been spending a valuable time with each other.... Ever since they had been berating each other over their unhealthy ways.... Ever since Emilia have been thinking that Subaru breaks his promise... that kiss is the only way to show how Subaru can resolve Emilia's heavy doubt on him and others.

*sigh* I know that the kiss scene doesn't please everyone else in audience's perspective, but you have to understand that being incoherent while berating each other feels so realistic and raw too despite there are some cheesy mood to it. Pointing, sharing, and accepting each other's flaws is a big gift to confess each other's feelings. Although Subaru have been repetitively saying "I love you" many times, both of their mindset have been overwhelmed with feelings. It's like 75% of it are their emotional sense while 25% of it are their rational sense.

Also this might be a tricky one, but have you find some people, specifically couple, doing some PDA (Public Display of Affection) in the midst of public space to be cringy? If so, I think you, as a viewer with different perception, can similarly reflect from that to every Subaru X Emilia moment too, but instead, you also have explored the private version of it, which I can call it as Private Display of Affection

Well, of course, their wholesome relationship doesn't feel awkward to me because they don't go around somewhere public. Thanks to Roswaal's Mansion for letting them spend more time on each other privately.

Once again, the second half is one of the rawest moment I can reflect on it for their incoherently consistent mindset and feeling. The sacred kiss of acceptance is the reason to believe without needing a reason to love somebody.

HanashiD4Jan 15, 2021 7:32 PM

"You don't get it, a million sorry's is not equal to one thank you." — Emilia
Jan 15, 2021 6:22 AM

Sep 2020
I'm sorry rem but the emilia x subaru ship has set sail

𝓰𝓮𝓽 𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓻𝓸𝓫𝓸𝓽 𝓼𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓳𝓲

Jan 15, 2021 6:34 AM
Oct 2018
StupidSimp69 said:
NovaLord said:

Build up? Their relationship starting from literally episode 1 up to this point was the build up. Author already fleshed them out well enough already, I don't see how you think this is "forced", Subaru is not forcing Emilia to love him.

i dont know why some people still being THAT dense in understanding the reason why subaru love her.
[/url]
Jan 15, 2021 6:52 AM

Nov 2019
HanashiD4 said:
Romores said:

I think you're just overthinking, and it may also apply to the same people that has as similar opinion as yours. If some people find the kiss scene to be somewhat "unimportant" and “cringy”, then it's an ignorance to the character's passionate feelings that both of them really needs to vent out and accept each other, for the relationship between them is really unhealthy.

Just reflect on Emilia's distress first.

- How has she been gone through the racial discrimination against her own elf race, especially she has 95% similar appearance to Satella (who is a controversially historical figure that this lore mystery needs to be unraveled into an actual degree in the future)? Especially, if you already have watched Frozen Bonds movie when she has been introduced to the world that is now far different.

- How has she been doing to clear out her social reputation as a sole surviving elf? Of course, being a royal candidate with democratic ideal is her selfish goal to do that, but is it still worth to fight through it? Well, getting into politics without a sign of irresponsibility means that it takes more charisma, frankly critical rationalism, confidence, and humility towards the majority's demand and changes to be a suitable rule, but in actuality, she doesn't have those kind of attributes because she isn't too socially exposed throughout how the world works. Being wary of most things is totally the lacking core for her confidence.

- Also, to Emilia herself, Subaru's genuine love for her feels like his suffocating idealization of Arc 3, as she refuses to believe him and take his words at face value. "Don't talk like I'm just some doll!" especially cuts deep, but it is precisely because he doesn't see Emilia as "just some doll" (anymore) that he left her side (among other reasons), not letting her entrust him with everything. Finally, the end touches upon the other main source of her struggles—the fear of how she'll turn out after regaining all of her memories, and whether she'll still be herself. If the point of origin is wrong, doesn't that make the path walked and the destination all wrong as well? Now, does it sound deep and complex? Maybe, there's a meaningful context from that certain dialogue. Well, think about it, is Subaru being overly nice to her feels concerning for herself too?

Now let's reflect on Subaru's side:

- At the very first moment of this entire series, do you pay attention to Subaru have been reading some manga with romance content on it, especially in the convenience store scene? How does it feel when he also sighs towards the bypassing couple? Well, of course, I can consider him to be a romance connoisseur with thirst of love which is why he has been acting overly confident with Emilia (and around the public space after the prologue) since he knows the guide on how to "act like a proper man for a lady". Well, tbh, I really feel annoyed by their first meeting and his quirkiness, but as soon as they then keep the casual conversation ongoing, it really feels natural and tranquil for them to talk about anything they have been curious about. Of course, it's like you're having a first proper conversation with your crush while you expect to have a constant heartbeat, but instead, they still keep cool and wholesome to each other.

Not until that Court Scene when he pridefully yet amateurly stands and confronts to the officials regarding the discrimination, but Julius handles the behavioral criticism towards Subaru by being overly confident. Well, tbh, Subaru does deserve that kind of treatment, but that itself isn't enough for him to be realized. He still has a feeling of Karma for being "harshly" treated by Julius since he is a hot-headed character, which is why some people don't like him because he really needs to keep his mind cool.

Imagine watching
, and try to distinguish. Which one can you blame towards? The hot-headed one who had taken so much steroids? Or the guy (Youtuber) who had been deadlifting for many seconds?

Well, if you choose the hot-headed one, then that applies the same when you and some others mostly feel annoyed towards Subaru's behavior. Going way over-the-top isn't decency's cup of tea, but it makes sense that calming himself down will not work because trying to recontextualize the whole, harsh scenario and shoehorn him into a positive light will be too heavy to stop it. It's like you cannot easily insist a moderator to stop being groomed by a beautiful adult female streamer because everything they spend with each other have been overwhelming in regards to their sexual relationship. *sigh* Simps be simps, I guess.

Luckily, his rejection towards Rem really shows how he has been overly loyal towards Emilia because he has been spending more valuable time with Emilia despite Rem treats Subaru more caringly than Emilia. However, feeling that he rejects the ideal of harem shows how Subaru's decision to enlighten himself over the acceptance and appreciation towards Rem's help being greedily healthy for himself. Not to say that he doesn't wish for a polygamy, but he really has to hold himself before his sense of slothful fragility will go even worse (which if he did, it could lead to Sloth IF story when he abandoned everything that happened within Roswaal's domain).

Now, to the peak episode of Episode 4 of S2, if you notice how he had been built up to be socially prideful of himself for achieving many medals, some and some people could neglect his presence due to him being "perpetually and perfectly fine" within their perspective... or the rest could have a need to stay away from him because he has been overly exaggerating for how many times he had been achieving... which it leads to the context for him being apart from each other, leaving himself to be a social outcast due to his lacking sense of humility. I can still call Subaru a "prideful and greedy person" for forcing himself to fit into a right standard and reputation, but his methods might not be effective and pleasant too. This is why Roswaal mentions about his "greed" for bringing back what and how he needs to resolve this situation before it will get worse ever since he has no choice to stop himself around the corner. You can call that as Protagonist Compliant.

Speaking of "no choice", why do you call that kiss "not resolve to the problem"? Ever since they have been spending a valuable time with each other.... Ever since they had been berating each other over their unhealthy ways.... Ever since Emilia have been thinking that Subaru breaks his promise... that kiss is the only way to show how Subaru can resolve Emilia's heavy doubt on him and others.

*sigh* I know that the kiss scene doesn't please everyone else in audience's perspective, but you have to understand that being incoherent while berating each other feels so realistic and raw too despite there are some cheesy mood to it. Pointing, sharing, and accepting each other's flaws is a big gift to confess each other's feelings. Although Subaru have been repetitively saying "I love you" many times, both of their mindset have been overwhelmed with feelings. It's like 75% of it are their emotional sense while 25% of it are their rational sense.

Also this might be a tricky one, but have you find some people, specifically couple, doing some PDA (Public Display of Affection) in the midst of public space to be cringy? If so, I think you, as a viewer with different perception, can reflect to that too, but instead, you also have explored the private version of it, which I can call it as Private Display of Affection

Well, of course, their wholesome relationship doesn't feel awkward to me because they don't go around somewhere public. Thanks to Roswaal's Mansion for letting them spend more time on each other privately.

Once again, the second half is one of the rawest moment I can reflect on it for their incoherently consistent mindset and feeling. The kiss of acceptance is the reason to believe without needing a reason to love somebody.

I’m glad you wrote this many paragraphs explaining why the scene makes sense so I didn’t have to.
Jan 15, 2021 7:02 AM

May 2018
Damn that's my man Subaru 5/5 for the episode. Otto also great.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Jan 15, 2021 7:37 AM

Jul 2013
Beautiful episode. Hopefully this makes Emilia be a bit more sure of herself.

Knowing that Otto can talk to animals makes me want to check the part of the story with the White Whale again...
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Jan 15, 2021 7:55 AM

Mar 2018
What a great episode! I was holding back my tears while watching Otto's backstory. Then boom, Subaru and Emilia's part. That was crazy. This episode successfully made me ugly crying.
Jan 15, 2021 8:43 AM

Apr 2015
while everyone talking about emilia and subaru scene. oi oi oi what the hell happened with Otto and ram?!!! are they dieded??
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Jan 15, 2021 8:46 AM

Nov 2017
Otto's background is excellent as is the relationship between Subaru and Emilia!
Jan 15, 2021 9:14 AM

Jul 2017
Anyone else find Rem’s confession better?

Subaru constantly repeating he loves her, the constant back and forth with Emilia crying in distress saying “no you don’t love me. You’re a liar!”

What i like about Rem’s confession is it presents how flawed both of them are, the lengths Rem was willing to go through and sacrifice after her suffering to be with Subaru, Emilia had some valid criticisms only for Subaru to gaslight her by repeatedly stating that he loves her. That doesn't change what she had to say and makes him look obsessive and manipulative.

Emilia comes off as a cute innocent puppy UwU Subaru has to protect and is crying because her owner left her alone for a few hours.

This drama felt like it was trying to be romantic but ended up soppy and melodramatic.

Props to the VAs for pouring their heart out and making it emotional. However, Subaru’s advice from his mom, Emilia’s face reflecting in his eyes and the kiss was the only good scenes of this confession.
FlexstyleJan 16, 2021 4:45 AM
Jan 15, 2021 9:27 AM

Jun 2020
OG_Gattsu said:

What i like about Rem’s confession is it presents how flawed both of them are, the lengths Rem was willing to go through and sacrifice after her suffering to be with Subaru. They try to do a similar thing with Emilia but it doesn’t work for me because what are her “flaws”? She comes off as a cute innocent puppy UwU Subaru has to protect and is crying because her owner left her alone for a few hours.

You're very true about the puppy part ngl lol. She is just and just presented as an extremely weak and fragile character with barely any aims which she doesn't even try to overcome and ends up crying about it (i may be wrong when her flashback comes out so..ye).
It honestly surprises me when people call Subaru to be bitchy while actually its Emilia
Jan 15, 2021 10:06 AM

Oct 2012
payp20 said:

That's Stockholm syndrome for you in nutshell.

Right now, without her memories, Emilia has no concept of love (or maybe she had it but only for Puck). At this point she just filled big hole in hear heart by Subaru's dependable words. She found much needed illusion of comfort in his arms. But it was hardly love.

Jan 15, 2021 10:10 AM

Aug 2010
5/5 episode, my eyes were glued to the screen.

Really really love the Emilia and Subaru's scene. I'm not that invested with Subaru and Emilia's romance, and I couldn't understand Subaru's actions until that backstory we got on season 2 part 1. And now I'm also understanding Emilia more. The argument scene was so emotional to me. That confession somehow feels like Rem's, but reversed and delivered appropriately to Subaru's and Emilia's own characters/personalities.

I don't think Subaru forced his love to Emilia, he forced Emilia to believe herself. He just seem to lack the wise words, but it feels in character.

Anyways, I'm worried for Otto especially. The end only has Garfiel standing there, and as much as I'm happy Otto gets his own back story, it somehow feels like a death flag. Subaru looks like he expected Garfiel to be there at the right time though, so I hope nothing went badly for Otto and Ram.
ShirayukinJan 15, 2021 11:33 AM
Jan 15, 2021 11:03 AM

Jan 2014
My man went from Simpbaru to Chadbaru. Congrats!
Jan 15, 2021 11:26 AM
Nov 2013
For people complaining about Emilia being “whiny”, just from what we know, she:

Lived for 7 years, 114 years ago and then was frozen in ice

Was woken up and lived only with her spirit in a forest, polishing ice sculptures with fractured memories. Everyone in the villiage near her calls her a silver haired devil and a horse god thing showed up and said being hated was her fault, just for being born

Then she was approached by a weirdo who said he’d save the people she cares about if she participates to be king of a nation that she doesn’t even know anything about at the time

And now in season 2, it’s up to her to overcome a past she doesn’t even remember to save a group of people that only just started warming up to her. Her supporting spirit she lived her entire life with, just left her without explaining why. She has reawakened traumatic memories and doesn’t even know if she is who she thinks she is, and finally, Subaru broke an extremity easy promise he made with her. And to users of spirits, who use contracts, breaking a promise is one the largest betrayal there is. And this isn’t the first time he’s done it.

AND YOU GUYS WONDER WHY SHES UPSET!?

Stop trying to insert how you would act in a love confession into the story, cause you haven’t experienced what she has, and it’s dumb. Pay attention to the story, and you’ll understand why characters act how they do. It’s not the stories fault, you are just being subpar critics.

I’m not saying this to everyone, mainly just those who are trashing Emilia for being “whiny”
Jan 15, 2021 11:36 AM

Apr 2018
Now this was what I was waiting for! That scene with Emilia and Subaru arguing was absolutely amazing. the voice actors did such a good work. That fight they had felt genuine. Can't wait to see where their relationship go from here!
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Jan 15, 2021 11:41 AM
Sep 2020
half the episode was Subaru saying I love you lmao
Jan 15, 2021 12:40 PM

Jan 2018
Rem shippers on suicide watch now
What a beautiful Duwang
Jan 15, 2021 1:41 PM

Aug 2018
Calm down Subaru, Jesus Christ.
Jan 15, 2021 2:34 PM

Apr 2008

First of all, I thank you for your effort: there was no need to summarize everything, I remember everything pretty well (I've been rewatching Re:Zero non-stop in the last three weeks).

I perfectly understand what the point of their dialogue was supposed to be, what I really didn't appreciate was how it was delivered.

I feel that there's simply something missing that doesn't allow me to feel good for the characters. I'm not sure what. Maybe it's that the dialogue is simply too chaotic for me, and leaves most of the "emotional work" to the viewer's memory. I personally don't think this is a good thing, but that's probably just a personal preference.

In S1E18, where the dialogue took basically 20 minutes (instead of the about 10 of this one), I feel the pacing was hugely better: it allowed the characters to remember events and feelings that the viewer was supposed to notice in order to understand where the dialogue was going, and I simply felt it as far more emotional and meaningful than this one. I cry every time I watch that dialogue (and I mean literally), whereas this one I have to really force myself to understand what they're trying to convey. But, I repeat, that's probably just me.

I'm not hating the episode (I simply LOVED Otto's part, it was the real deal for me) or the outcome, I simply didn't like how the dialogue was directed. I've rewatched it three other times and, thanks to some of the comments here, I managed to put things in a better perspective, but I still think this was not as good as many say. And that's fine.

I think I'll be able to appreciate it much better when I'll read it in the LN.
RomoresJan 15, 2021 2:42 PM
Jan 15, 2021 10:00 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Ugh arguments between simp dude vs hardheaded girl.
Why is this so cringey? including the kiss scene~

The best part of this episode is Otto's backstory, he is much interesting to see than that boring lover's spat in the end there.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 15, 2021 10:30 PM
Mar 2020
Romores said:

First of all, I thank you for your effort: there was no need to summarize everything, I remember everything pretty well (I've been rewatching Re:Zero non-stop in the last three weeks).

I perfectly understand what the point of their dialogue was supposed to be, what I really didn't appreciate was how it was delivered.

I feel that there's simply something missing that doesn't allow me to feel good for the characters. I'm not sure what. Maybe it's that the dialogue is simply too chaotic for me, and leaves most of the "emotional work" to the viewer's memory. I personally don't think this is a good thing, but that's probably just a personal preference.

In S1E18, where the dialogue took basically 20 minutes (instead of the about 10 of this one), I feel the pacing was hugely better: it allowed the characters to remember events and feelings that the viewer was supposed to notice in order to understand where the dialogue was going, and I simply felt it as far more emotional and meaningful than this one. I cry every time I watch that dialogue (and I mean literally), whereas this one I have to really force myself to understand what they're trying to convey. But, I repeat, that's probably just me.

I'm not hating the episode (I simply LOVED Otto's part, it was the real deal for me) or the outcome, I simply didn't like how the dialogue was directed. I've rewatched it three other times and, thanks to some of the comments here, I managed to put things in a better perspective, but I still think this was not as good as many say. And that's fine.

I think I'll be able to appreciate it much better when I'll read it in the LN.

I completely understand why anime-onlies feel that way, in the novels there are inner monologues and narrations that brings meaning to their convo. Even as a novel reader I felt like something was missing in the episode. I mean, the kiss itself was great and the voice actors are amazing, but in the novels it had a lot more depth and meaning behind Emilia's actions and Subaru's due to the presence of narrations. I suggest you read the web novel version online now so you'll understand what I'm talking about(arc 4 chapter 110 just search it on google), it's pretty much the same thing in terms of dialogue but with a lot more depth and self-awareness conveyed. And the conclusion felt more satisfying.

I think the anime really overdid the repetitive "I love you" thing, it didn't bother me when reading because they addressed it very well but I swear it was more irritating than endearing in the anime. They should understand that being 100% faithful to the novels doesn't always work. The anime could have cut out the "I love you"s at the end after the kiss imo and it would still work.

Not saying that it improves upon the episode as the episode still lacks a lot of the nuance the novel version of arc 4 chapter 110, but I highly suggest you read the novel version now.

As a novel reader I am honestly a bit disappointed because they actually did some things REALLY well but the problem with 1:1 adaptations without narration really shows in this episode.

TL;DR this scene needed a narrator, or Subaru's inner monologue acting as narration, or they should have changed things up for the anime.
Astrosaurs168Jan 15, 2021 10:39 PM
Jan 15, 2021 11:20 PM

Feb 2013
A minute into Otto's flashback, I was like, "his divine protection is autism?"

Loved the confession fight! I hope Subaru dies and loses all that progress. His purpose is to suffer. 🤣
Jan 16, 2021 1:12 AM

Nov 2017
it wasnt joke when rem said that ram is stronger than her
Now Loading.....
Jan 16, 2021 7:49 AM

Mar 2018
Gilgameshuu said:
Alpha_Druid said:

I already said that he is not intentionally trying to manipulate her. It's just that Emilia needed to reciprocate that feeling and her mind needed to be developed for that. Thus the need of build up and the needed development. Without that it feels a bit manipulative which I'm sure wasn't the author's intent.
Jan 16, 2021 12:31 PM

May 2015
Otto backstory > kissing scene.

Otto best bro!

Rem best girl. :)))
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 16, 2021 1:45 PM
Jan 2021
NovaLord said:
Since when does something like “love” need build up or logical explanation?! Two random people could bump into each walking down the street and fall madly in love with one another this happens countless of times in storytelling and the real world now all of a sudden you need build up. Really ?
Jan 16, 2021 2:47 PM

Jun 2020
6Mankind123 said:
NovaLord said:
Since when does something like “love” need build up or logical explanation?! Two random people could bump into each walking down the street and fall madly in love with one another this happens countless of times in storytelling and the real world now all of a sudden you need build up. Really ?

You know? If that happened, wouldn’t that feel awkward to justify their relationship? Wouldn’t they still keep bonding each other to the point that they need to know and understand each other? Your logic is something like how some terribly-written K-drama romance would do, but in comparison to Re:Zero, they keep each other as gradual as they can in order to build up the relationship. Even though Subaru is one hell of a simp, he can still hold himself back from being way over-the-top until that Court scene has happened which is now beyond his limits.

"You don't get it, a million sorry's is not equal to one thank you." — Emilia
Jan 16, 2021 3:05 PM
Nov 2016
I liked it because Ricardo/Dogman was there. Everything else was meh because of the quality and cut content...
Pages (13) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» am i the only one who thinks re:zero season 2 is just kinda okay? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shmoomp - Jan 27, 2021

411 by AboutFollower03 »»
Apr 18, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 24, 2021

616 by 2772510 »»
Apr 18, 4:33 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 17, 2021

489 by Salah_og »»
Apr 8, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Best thing about Re:Zero Poll

AshTheChamp - Jan 5

27 by kecri »»
Apr 3, 9:04 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 3, 2021

276 by TheOtherJN »»
Apr 1, 3:12 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.