Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 20, 2020 1:21 PM
Oct 2015
Its not a big deal, the violence being censored didnt really detract anything, but seeing how MAPPA is not censoring stuff like WIT did, I now wonder if it was a artistic choice for them, Since this is still the same channel broadcasting AOT in Japan from S2 and S3.
Dec 20, 2020 1:45 PM
Nov 2019
Another one trying to make WIT looks bad to make people forget that MAPPA ruined AOT season 4.
Dec 20, 2020 1:47 PM
Oct 2020
WIT did show a lot of gore, and seeing Vinland Saga, we can see that WIT doesn't have much issue with violence either. You must've watched a censored version
Dec 20, 2020 1:55 PM
May 2019
Madao_z said:
WIT did show a lot of gore, and seeing Vinland Saga, we can see that WIT doesn't have much issue with violence either. You must've watched a censored version

Season three was heavily censored. You must've Watch another show
Dec 20, 2020 1:56 PM
Oct 2015
E
Madao_z said:

Examples:

Grisha sister being killed

Levi hurting Zeke after defeating him

Gross being chewed after Kruger push him.

This season stuff that I was thinking was gonna be censored like Reiner pointing the gun inside his mouth or Fort Slava soldiers being eating by titans were not censored, that is my question, its odd, all other changes we know.

They cannot make the Titans 2d mostly because they dont have the staff talented enough for that, they are forced to rush so much because of the ep count being 16 eps, instead of what it should have been 20, etc.
Dec 20, 2020 1:58 PM
Oct 2015
badmintonadvisor said:
Another one trying to make WIT looks bad to make people forget that MAPPA ruined AOT season 4.

Hardly, check my scoring.
Dec 20, 2020 1:59 PM

Jan 2009
censorship is always mandated by the TV station anyway so who knows why the TV station change their stance, maybe the government regulatory board also agreed to it or they change their TV censorship rules
Dec 20, 2020 2:04 PM

Aug 2019
Pretty sure the first couple of seasons, which were the most graphic aired on MBS in Japan and S3, which censored the most irc, aired on NHK and continues to do so.

Perhaps the production committee were able to negotiate with NHK when discussing the contract around the final season. Perhaps it was an important detail for them.
Dec 20, 2020 2:22 PM

Oct 2017
badmintonadvisor said:

They haven't I am happy with it for the most part outside of a few issues. Plenty of manga readers hated the adaption of S3 too. At the end of the day most anime only I have seen praised the new season and the score on MAL is fine.
Dec 20, 2020 2:33 PM

Oct 2017
MAQS said:
E
Madao_z said:

Examples:

This season stuff that I was thinking was gonna be censored like Reiner pointing the gun inside his mouth or Fort Slava soldiers being eating by titans were not censored, that is my question, its odd, all other changes we know.

They cannot make the Titans 2d mostly because they dont have the staff talented enough for that, they are forced to rush so much because of the ep count being 16 eps, instead of what it should have been 20, etc.

That is excessive it's more like 18 episodes over 16 pacing should be more close to previous seasons after this and this was actually the first episode where I would argue anything notable got cut. Like the important scenes cut honestly in this backstory at most needed 5-6 more minutes. MAPPA has talented staff the issue is the time needed to produce all of this
Dec 20, 2020 2:42 PM
Oct 2015
TolkienFan365 said:
MAQS said:
E

Examples:

That is excessive it's more like 18 episodes over 16 pacing should be more close to previous seasons after this and this was actually the first episode where I would argue anything notable got cut. Like the important scenes cut honestly in this backstory at most needed 5-6 more minutes. MAPPA has talented staff the issue is the time needed to produce all of this

Appropriate pacing for me is S2 which adapted 16 chapters plus almost a full chapter of ymir backstory in 240 min, for comparison Uprising in anime was 216 min, and RTS was 258 min. Fun fact is that both RTS and S2 are 12 ep long.

Also MAPPA in the Friday interview said they did not have enough qualified animators for titans to be 2d all the time.
MAQSDec 20, 2020 2:47 PM
Dec 20, 2020 2:45 PM

Dec 2018
badmintonadvisor said:

How tf Mappa ruined AOT?
Dec 20, 2020 3:14 PM

Oct 2017
MAQS said:
TolkienFan365 said:

Appropriate pacing for me is S2 which adapted 16 chapters plus almost a full chapter of ymir backstory in 240 min, for comparison Uprising in anime was 216 min, and RTS was 258 min. Fun fact is that both RTS and S2 are 12 ep long.

Also MAPPA in the Friday interview said they did not have enough qualified animators for titans to be 2d all the time.

Never saw the interview I assumed that it was the biggest issue considering how intense the production was for past seasons and it would free up time.

Also S2 was kinda drawn out to me mainly in the beginning I think that was a bit too slow something slightly faster than that would be ideal.
Dec 20, 2020 3:19 PM

Oct 2013
deg said:
censorship is always mandated by the TV station anyway so who knows why the TV station change their stance, maybe the government regulatory board also agreed to it or they change their TV censorship rules

Nope, I think it was a artistic choice by Wit studio. Nothing else nothing more.
Dec 20, 2020 3:22 PM
Oct 2015
TolkienFan365 said:
MAQS said:

Never saw the interview I assumed that it was the biggest issue considering how intense the production was for past seasons and it would free up time.

Also S2 was kinda drawn out to me mainly in the beginning I think that was a bit too slow something slightly faster than that would be ideal.

S2 was perfect for me, S1 was the one with the drawn out parts specially the stretch of eps 10 to 13.
Dec 20, 2020 3:53 PM
Aug 2020
badmintonadvisor said:

How did MAPPA ruin AOT? I personally really like it along with many others
Dec 20, 2020 4:13 PM
Oct 2019
Tv version always get censored bro... Just wait for the blu ray version
Dec 20, 2020 4:39 PM

Aug 2019
MAQS said:
TolkienFan365 said:

S2 was perfect for me, S1 was the one with the drawn out parts specially the stretch of eps 10 to 13.

Well, they adapted 32-33 chapters into 25 episodes, which is one of the reasons why some of that season dragged. 22 episodes would have been more than enough.
Dec 20, 2020 4:56 PM
Oct 2015
davidyodo24 said:
Tv version always get censored bro... Just wait for the blu ray version

I got the limited edition blu ray... re-watched it now twice since I bought it.

Still there.
Dec 20, 2020 5:00 PM
Oct 2015
xenosys said:
MAQS said:

Well, they adapted 32-33 chapters into 25 episodes, which is one of the reasons why some of that season dragged. 22 episodes would have been more than enough.

Yes also something else is that WIT changed its approach after S2 mainly because the got a shorter ep count for S3

But in S1 and S2 they almost always had recaps at the beginning of each ep, some even lasting 3 and half minutes out of the entire 21 min episode.

S3 had almost none of those, they used all 21 min of the eps focusing the present story.

With that same approach S1 could have been 20 eps and still being a perfect adaptation.
Dec 20, 2020 9:06 PM

Jan 2009
keragamming said:
deg said:

Nope, I think it was a artistic choice by Wit studio. Nothing else nothing more.

sure that can be a reason too
Dec 20, 2020 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
badmintonadvisor said:

If you think this thread is about making WIT looks bad then you have very low standarts with your anime

P.S AoT would be ruined if MAPPA didn't pick it up
Dec 20, 2020 9:23 PM

Jul 2020
Yes wit's attack on titan was heavily censored.
It didn't show Eren's mom being eaten by a titan.
It didn't show Eren being eaten by a titan.
When I was watching Demon slayer I was quite surprised with how explicit the violence and the blood was shown.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 20, 2020 10:26 PM
Nov 2020
WIT'S S3 aired on NHK station and it has the strictest censorship control than any other tv stations in japan, reason why is, NHK is considered a national-level broadcast media in Japan which is very influential among the viewers.

Though it is privately operated on the surface, it was once state-owned after all so it literally represents the overall image of japan broadcast media, thus the strictest values and standards on the content it airs.

In fact, this season also has a lot of requirements on the colour and the shooting style of certain gory and bloody scenes, they couldn't use strong saturation and contrast composite for the sensitive scenes....

However this doesn't mean these scenes wont appear at all, negotiations can be made with the tv station...
For example, if certain scenes are censored... then the plot development will be inconsistent and non-logical, or the original manga have that particular scene and it is widely accepted by everyone or that scene is needed for character development e.g.. reiner's suicide scene.

The production studio had to compromise for the censorship on some parts but they can also fight to get the important scenes through or improvise the animation for those scenes like the scene of levi cutting through the throat of zeke in anime instead of cutting into his eyes like manga did.

source: weibo
Dec 20, 2020 10:41 PM
Oct 2015
hinako49 said:
WIT'S S3 aired on NHK station and it has the strictest censorship control than any other tv stations in japan, reason why is, NHK is considered a national-level broadcast media in Japan which is very influential among the viewers.

Though it is privately operated on the surface, it was once state-owned after all so it literally represents the overall image of japan broadcast media, thus the strictest values and standards on the content it airs.

In fact, this season also has a lot of requirements on the colour and the shooting style of certain gory and bloody scenes, they couldn't use strong saturation and contrast composite for the sensitive scenes....

However this doesn't mean these scenes wont appear at all, negotiations can be made with the tv station...
For example, if certain scenes are censored... then the plot development will be inconsistent and non-logical, or the original manga have that particular scene and it is widely accepted by everyone or that scene is needed for character development e.g.. reiner's suicide scene.

The production studio had to compromise for the censorship on some parts but they can also fight to get the important scenes through or improvise the animation for those scenes like the scene of levi cutting through the throat of zeke in anime instead of cutting into his eyes like manga did.

As always you are the MVP here, You are a treasure trove of info.

Surprised the tv station is that flexible.
Dec 20, 2020 10:51 PM
Nov 2020
MAQS said:
hinako49 said:

As always you are the MVP here, You are a treasure trove of info.

Surprised the tv station is that flexible.

No problem...funny how fans on both side (MAL and weibo) have the same doubts and the animator also explained on this so i just copy paste it here lol 😂

i think the station being flexible also because AOT is a very popular series and the story is very well received in japan although there are some sensitive content , if everything got censored fans will probably have an outrage on them lmao
Apr 28, 7:26 PM
May 2020
Reply to badmintona
@badmintona How you fucking idiot?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 28, 2021

692 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:11 AM

Poll: » If Eren was in avatar...

TASM18 - Apr 17

18 by belugaanime »»
Apr 19, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

513 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 13, 8:01 AM

» Isayama: The Perfect Architect ( 1 2 )

Mikasa - Mar 29, 2021

65 by benisfroms »»
Apr 10, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 10, 2021

986 by Jasmin061011 »»
Apr 2, 8:12 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.