Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 28, 2020 2:46 PM
May 2020
Does anyone know if it's possible to become a mangaka as a foreigner? I want to create manga and publish it in Japan but idk if it's possible.
Oct 28, 2020 2:57 PM

Sep 2020
It's entirely possible if you're down to make hentai, sex always sells regardless of your skin color and nationality

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Oct 28, 2020 3:02 PM
Oct 2020
Can you not submit your stuff to a comic publisher instead?
Oct 28, 2020 3:05 PM

Aug 2007
If you succeed in mastering Nihongo, getting through immigration hurdles and whatnot, avoiding and/or ignoring gaijin discrimination, getting hired in a Japanese company, surviving competitions between mangakas.. then yes, it is possible.
もろともに
哀れと思へ
山桜

花より外に
知る人もなし.

On a mountain slope,
Solitary, uncompanioned,
Stands a cherry tree.

Except for you, lonely friend,
To others I am unknown.

Oct 28, 2020 3:21 PM
Jul 2020
You can, if you want to. Hentai is the easiest choice for a future Mangaka though.
Oct 28, 2020 3:29 PM

Oct 2010
It's highly unlikely. I suggest focusing on a more realistic career goal.
Oct 28, 2020 3:32 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
It's an incredibly tedious task to become a mangaka, let alone a foreign mangaka.

First off, you should learn to write Japanese, as publishers will pretty much disregard anything you submit if it's in your native language.

Also, I'll assume that you are currently not living in Japan. In that case, the only way I know of getting published is by creating (Japanese) webcomics on Twitter and pixiv. Afterwards, if your series gets popular enough, it may get published physically.

But then again, I don't know much about the industry as a whole, you may still have to meet up with an editor, so I'm not sure if this is actually realistic. You'll probably have to ask someone who is more knowledgeable than me about this.

Maybe you could submit something to Shounen Jump Rookie, but I don't really know how this works. So, once again, you'll have to ask someone who is more knowledgeable. But from what I've seen, you submit a manga, and if it wins in a contest or something, it'll get published in a magazine or on Shounen Jump+.

There's also the Tezuka Manga Award, where, this year, you could submit your manga in English, with the 1st and 2nd place getting published in Weekly Shounen Jump. However, this may have happened because it was the 100th anniversary of the award. So you'll have to see if they still accept foreign entries next year.

But as a whole, it's highly unrealistic to become a foreign mangaka, and I genuinely think it may be somewhat impossible.
Oct 29, 2020 3:09 AM
May 2020
Phloup said:
It's an incredibly tedious task to become a mangaka, let alone a foreign mangaka.

First off, you should learn to write Japanese, as publishers will pretty much disregard anything you submit if it's in your native language.

Also, I'll assume that you are currently not living in Japan. In that case, the only way I know of getting published is by creating (Japanese) webcomics on Twitter and pixiv. Afterwards, if your series gets popular enough, it may get published physically.

But then again, I don't know much about the industry as a whole, you may still have to meet up with an editor, so I'm not sure if this is actually realistic. You'll probably have to ask someone who is more knowledgeable than me about this.

Maybe you could submit something to Shounen Jump Rookie, but I don't really know how this works. So, once again, you'll have to ask someone who is more knowledgeable. But from what I've seen, you submit a manga, and if it wins in a contest or something, it'll get published in a magazine or on Shounen Jump+.

There's also the Tezuka Manga Award, where, this year, you could submit your manga in English, with the 1st and 2nd place getting published in Weekly Shounen Jump. However, this may have happened because it was the 100th anniversary of the award. So you'll have to see if they still accept foreign entries next year.

But as a whole, it's highly unrealistic to become a foreign mangaka, and I genuinely think it may be somewhat impossible.

Damn then i'll just make webtoons if being a foreign mangaka is that hard. But thanks for the info.
Oct 29, 2020 3:11 AM
May 2020
Poulain said:
If you succeed in mastering Nihongo, getting through immigration hurdles and whatnot, avoiding and/or ignoring gaijin discrimination, getting hired in a Japanese company, surviving competitions between mangakas.. then yes, it is possible.

That gaijin discrimination might get to me so i won't do it but thanks for the info.
Oct 29, 2020 8:10 AM

Jul 2016
You can start drawing a comic and posting it online whenever and wherever you like. Why focus on Japan specifically? You could go broader.
Oct 29, 2020 9:25 AM

Mar 2019
Not a mangaka, but Im a french guy now working in animation for almost 10 years.
I live in Japan nowadays, I started by drawing for fun then I sent my drawings to companies looking for animators, it went well!
Never give up!
Oct 29, 2020 2:16 PM

Oct 2019
The creator of No Game No Life is half Japanese. I don’t see why a foreigner can’t become a mangaka either way. It’s probably really tough though. Even Japanese mangaka don’t have it easy, I’m sure being a foreigner and trying to make manga will be twice as hard.

More topics from this board

» What sort of education did you get? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

70 by seanjonesanhb »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you drink?

EmiliaHoarfrost - 9 hours ago

18 by JaniSIr »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » If you got reincarnated...

Cielord - Jul 17

20 by xMizu_ »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » is going back in time possible?

FruitPunchBaka - May 26

19 by asdewqw3erfgt »»
27 minutes ago

» How easy is it for you to let things go and move on?

RobertBobert - 55 minutes ago

5 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.