Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Should I finish Index or just rewatch Railgun?
Rewatch Railgun
16.7%
Finish Index
33.3%
Both
50.0%
6 votes
Sep 1, 2020 4:14 PM

Dec 2009
Since I finished Index 2 in 2012, never watched the movie sequel or watched the last S3 yet, and watched Railgun 1 on 2011 and Railgun S in 2013,

... I don't think I plan to rewatch Index and continue where I left off eventually, but I wonder if I need to watch Index 3 to watch Railgun T, because if I don't have to, I don't mind skipping Index for now and just rewatch Railgun and then binge-watch T when it finally finishes airing.
waalex11Sep 2, 2020 2:19 PM
Sep 2, 2020 7:46 AM

Jan 2019
You don't need to watch Index 3 to watch Railgun T. I'd still continue Index in manga or LN form tho.
Sep 2, 2020 1:47 PM

Dec 2009
@misaka-9982
Alright. I doubt I'll continue Index or Railgun in their novels even though many have said S3 is a poor adaptation, but someone told me that T follows/mentions the events of the bus explosion of Index's S2 which I don't really remember.
Sep 2, 2020 1:51 PM

Jan 2019
waalex11 said:
@misaka-9982
Alright. I doubt I'll continue Index or Railgun in their novels even though many have said S3 is a poor adaptation, but someone told me that T follows/mentions the events of the bus explosion of Index's S2 which I don't really remember.
Yeah it was the bus explosion that happened when Touma and Stiyl were dealing with Oriana during Daihasei.
Sep 2, 2020 1:55 PM

Dec 2009
@misaka-9982
Unless more people suggest otherwise, I think I'll rewatch that scene and maybe skim through very quickly through S2 and then completely rewatch Railgun (most likely skim through it to an extent as well) to get the hype back and have more clarity.

After I finish Railgun T, I'll watch Index S3.
Sep 2, 2020 2:09 PM

Dec 2009
... So far 2 votes for both, 2 for Index and 1 to only rewatch Railgun...
Which makes me think people want me to complete S3 before watching Railgun T, even though my impression is that apparently S2 follows/mentions T, which means S3 would be after T... right? ... Or does Railgun T happen after Index's S3?
waalex11Sep 2, 2020 2:14 PM
Sep 2, 2020 2:15 PM

Oct 2013
waalex11 said:
impression is that apparently S2 follows/mentions T, which means S3 would be after T... right? ... Or does Railgun T happen after S3?
First arc which is the Daihasei Festival for T rakes place during Index II which also has the Daihasei Festival
Some parts after is during Index 2 when Touma is in Italy and then after that the rest of Railgun T takes place during season III of Index
Sep 2, 2020 2:18 PM

Dec 2009
Deknijff said:
First arc which is the Daihasei Festival for T rakes place during Index II which also has the Daihasei Festival
Some parts after is during Index 2 when Touma is in Italy and then after that the rest of Railgun T takes place during season III of Index
Oh!~ ... I gotta watch S3 then. Thanks for clarifying.

I'll most likely skim through S2, watch S3, then rewatch Railgun to finally finish Railgun T. ... Thanks everyone! That's all for me.
Sep 3, 2020 8:08 AM

Jun 2016
The current timeline is more or less this, so I don't think you need to see Index 3:

Railgun (1-14)
Railgun OVA
Index (1-6)
Railgun (15-16)
Index (7-9)
Railgun (17-24)
Railgun S(1-9)
Index (10-14)/Railgun S (10-16)
Railgun S (17-20)
Index (15-17)/Railgun S (21-24)
Index (18)
Index II (1)
Index (19-24)
Accelerator (1-12)
Index II (2-7)
Railgun T (1)
Index II (8-13)/Railgun T (2-3)
Railgun T (4-15)
Index II (14-16)
Railgun T (16-20)
Index II (17-24)
Index III (1-6)
Railgun T (21-22)
Index III (7-26)
Sep 11, 2020 1:52 AM

Dec 2009
Welp, fuck. Since the anime's continuity is fucked in comparison to the real timeline of the novels* and manga (not interested in reading them since I don't like this franchise enough to care) ... after learning of the simplified railgun order, and the flawed "real" order from
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDxk_KwYKV0)
... I have decided to stay safe and experience the anime for what it is by following the broadcast order.

Which I plan to completely skim rewatch because I don't clearly remember the story well enough.

Original Archive Post:
waalex11Sep 11, 2020 2:19 AM
Sep 22, 2020 9:37 AM

Jun 2017
Actually dude, I just went back and re-watched Index I and II (which I did NOT like very much the first time) (I think I rated them at 6 a piece, maybe even lower for the first) after watching Railgun T and a bit of this season, and I enjoyed the crap out of my re-watch. Having the context of Railgun and the newer seasons made a big difference in how I reacted to the events. There are so many moments I don't remember where the characters between the series have run-ins with each other... hell, I didn't even remember how Accelerator got involved with "GROUP" or that Misaka Mikoto's mom has met both Touma and Accelerator (not to mention they both saved her)

I highly recommend re-watching them, especially if you've seen S3 of Index, Railgun, and also Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator. It becomes a lot more coherent afterwards. If taken first, Index I and II are kinda not that great and enough of it doesn't make sense that it can be hard to care about, but once you're a little familiar with events and the characters it's a lot better. The broadcast order unfortunately spoils the drama of some events in Railgun, because it presents it so half-assedly. In Index, the Sisters arc is not really that great, but in Railgun it's fantastic. I actually have to rate all the "church" arcs in Index I and II higher than the Sisters arc because of how weird the animation gets and how poorly it breaks events down.
Alpha-MethylSep 22, 2020 9:45 AM
Sep 27, 2020 7:30 AM

Nov 2019
If you want to watch Railgun T as a whole and want to enjoy it more, you must watch Railgun T after Index III . It was meant to be viewed like that. Likewise with readers of the LN and manga.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Oct 3, 2020 11:15 AM
Feb 2014
I only watched Index 1 and 2 and watched Railgun T until episode 15. Do I really have to watch Index 3 (&Accelerator Series) to understand and enjoy the rest of Railgun T? Or is it enough to read a episode summary of that? Seeing how index3 even has a 6.xx score make me not exactly want to watch it, especially since its like 25 episodes and not only 12. And I didnt like Index 1/2 a lot, which has a 7.xx score.
Oct 18, 2020 11:19 AM

Jun 2017
Actually, watching Railgun T requires the least background but it's good if you at least have an understanding of who the characters from Index are (well, Touma, specifically).

Railgun T takes place during the timeline of the previous, though I'm not entirely certain precisely where, and as far as the plot itself, it's not all that vital to watch Index III first, but it does help give a little more perspective on the goings-on. Honestly, Index III, for all the bad stuff I was reading about it, I found to be pretty enjoyable.

I can't comment as to whether the adaptation is that great, because I haven't read the LN's, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of Index III and Railgun T- unlike Index I and II, which I hated the first time. Of course, when I first saw the first few episodes I didn't have a clue what was going on, and actually had to go back and watch Index I and II. I hated Index I and II the first time but on the re-watch, for whatever reason, I kinda had to go and revised my rating of them a little. It's a convoluted series, but it gets better with more background.

Chronologically speaking, this takes place before Index III, so it isn't going to hurt plot-wise to watch them out of that order. All that is really required is familiarity with some events and characters... the story itself is a self-contained part. That said, some of the more off-the-wall episodes (which were great in this season) feature characters that had much more major roles in Index III like Kinuhata and Hamazura from that "ITEM" group or whatever it was, that Meltdowner heads. Those episodes mean a lot more when you have an idea of who the characters actually are, and I don't think you get more than a couple frames of them in the previous seasons, at all.
Alpha-MethylOct 18, 2020 11:29 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2020

95 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 29, 6:24 AM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2020

127 by cebrayillia »»
Mar 15, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2020

105 by cebrayillia »»
Mar 15, 4:03 PM

» Season 4?

removed-user - Jan 20, 2022

10 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 3:25 AM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2020

56 by Karva1 »»
Mar 4, 5:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.