Forum Settings
Forums

When did it become cool to call yourself a "weeb"? and why I think it's bad.

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 26, 2020 2:44 PM

Nov 2008
Amatniki said:
its the exact same as anime fan.

See, no, that is false. This is why this mindset is a problem....because too many people actually think this way.

Aug 26, 2020 2:45 PM
Aug 2018
I use the term loosely, and it’s kinda just a meme word that could be used to describe an anime fan now since it’s been overused to the point where that’s what it could mean. I’m not even into Japanese culture and I still call myself a weeb.

Aug 26, 2020 2:52 PM
Apr 2020
To give an Answer to this, Japanese People seem to not care about the terminologies, and also, I think the definition of the word itself is destroyed by the internet because it was used a lot. just like the word "Simp".

but I think most people still know the meaning of it, it's just that we, as a community, are really becoming mainstream and many people don't get it, so they maybe just assume that being a "Weeb" is cool or something.

At the very least, It's really up to them if they know or not, they will know eventually.
Aug 26, 2020 2:52 PM

Oct 2015
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Auron_ said:
Reclamation of derogatory words by the target community is not a new thing. Some of the popular ones include, "queer", "nigga", "commie", "fash" and probably more.

This. Gay meant something completely else and queer was a derogatory term for "not being normal / not in the norm" or eccentric, so you basically use it to give them no target. It basically says: "Even if that words means that I'm eccentric or not in the norm, so what? I like it."

Yup yup, it's a kinda similar mechanism to how people make self-deprecating jokes so others can't do it against them. Effective strategy.

I guess stuff like "woke","lib","leftie" would count too. What's with politics and abundance of insults lol
Aug 26, 2020 2:53 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
Amatniki said:
its the exact same as anime fan.

See, no, that is false. This is why this mindset is a problem....because too many people actually think this way.

Words in themselves are just arranged letters to describe something. Their meanings always changed over the years and centuries. There actually a lot of words that don't mean today what they originally meant.
Aug 26, 2020 3:20 PM

Apr 2010
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Zeroflamez said:

No, Weeb is the abbreviation of Weaboo.

That's nice, but you don't speak for the entire community. Some people DO CARE about being judged in that light. You keep coming to the conclusion that you don't care and you're friends don't care, so everyone else shouldn't care either. You can believe what you want, that's fine but the fact still stands that some people are affected by this and they aren't just able to brush it off as easily as you can. Plus sometimes negative opinions can snowball into bullying or other things. To tell someone "just don't let it bother you" can be easier said than done for many people.

I never even said I was bothered by the word, nor did I say I cared about what non Anime fans think about me. I don't know where you and the mod get that notion from. It's not about whether you agree with me or not, many people in here disagreed with me. The fucking problem is of people telling me everything I said is wrong like the low IQ moderator without even giving me examples of how I'm wrong and running straight to "You ask dumb questions, why do you let these things bother you? leave weaboo's alone, stop attacking them,". Basically smothering me with bullshit to the point that I can't even respond to all of it .All while pulling a bunch of statements out of my opening posts that never existed in the first place. (I.E, attacking weebs, being bothered, etc) to further bury me and then expecting me to post examples and asking for me to elaborate on things which they should have been doing from the fucking start. What this tells me is that they had no interest in discussing anything in the first place and they already came in with the mentality that I'm wrong. So nothing I tell them will change that so It's a fucking waste of time to bother. I never even stated whose fault it was or wasn't. Again you keep making shit up to fit your argument.

I never insulted anyone or any fucking thing. You and the mod are the ones telling me to "grow up" and you say that I'm having PTSD of being called a weeb. All the while passively aggressively trying to bully me out of my own discussion.

I never said I was bothered by anything. I never said that I had a problem with people calling themselves weebs. I never said it was anyone's fault and I never said I hate weebs either. Yet somehow you pulled all of this out of my opening post and are going through such lengths to take someone down even though their post wasn't insulting anyone yet I'm the one being defensive and triggered?

Keep gas lighting me though.

You actually doesn't sound angry. This text of calm, friendly, non-insulting words and upbeat emotions convinced me that you aren't angry.

Tl;dr for the whole text above: I don't care, if other anime fans care, if they are judged in this light. It's their problem when they can't deal with it.
And bullying will also happen, if the victim isn't an anime fan. They will find a dozens of other excuses, because they just need a target that seems to be weaker than them.

I never said you have to care or act like it's your problem. I'm just trying to say that it can be a problem for others and to disregard that fact as not being a problem cause it doesn't apply to you is kind of being ignorant.

Kurokami_Hina said:
To give an Answer to this, Japanese People seem to not care about the terminologies, and also, I think the definition of the word itself is destroyed by the internet because it was used a lot. just like the word "Simp".

but I think most people still know the meaning of it, it's just that we, as a community, are really becoming mainstream and many people don't get it, so they maybe just assume that being a "Weeb" is cool or something.

At the very least, It's really up to them if they know or not, they will know eventually.

Japanese people do care about terminologies though and they have their own that they use themselves. I.E Otaku, hikkakamori etc. Now if you mean do they care about being labeled these terms, most likely yes if it's a negative term. Who would want to be associated with a negative term? nobody.
Aug 26, 2020 7:04 PM

Feb 2010
Yeah it's cringey as fuck and I'll never get why anime fans find it 'funneh' to willingly embrace the very, very worst aspects of being an anime fan while being ashamed of everything else related to anime. The fact that people treat being an anime fan as inseparable from being self-deprecating, cringey and worshipping japanese culture while hating western culture is just fucking weird and paints the anime fandom in a worse light than any prejudices from outside the community ever could.

Auron_ said:
Reclamation of derogatory words by the target community is not a new thing. Some of the popular ones include, "queer", "nigga", "commie", "fash" and probably more.

This. Gay meant something completely else and queer was a derogatory term for "not being normal / not in the norm" or eccentric, so you basically use it to give them no target. It basically says: "Even if that word means that I'm eccentric or not in the norm, so what? I like it."

There is no positive element to it at all, no 'empowerment' of a derogatory term because it's not even a term that was ever used to insult anime fans in general, only a specific type (actual weebs) and their behaviour kinda deserves backlash because being a weeb is toxic and cringey while being into anime is just a hobby. The best way to make sure you're not a target for getting insulted as a weeb, is to simply not be a weeb. It was never that difficult. I've been a huge anime fan all my life, never been a weeb, never been called a weeb. You don't need to embrace a term that never actually described you at all - it never had a target in the first place. It's not like people are 'reclaiming' a word like Otaku that used to have negative connotations purely for cultural reasons and not because it's inherent meaning is derogatory, wearing it with pride to show the haters that anime fans don't care about being judged by outsiders. I could buy the argument for that. That would make sense to me since Otaku just means dedicated anime fan and when used as an insult it really only targets the passion for anime. That's kinda how it played out in Japan.

Otaku was never a word that 'should' have had negative connotations since it just means being passionate about your hobby so 'taking it back' makes sense. The same can't be said for 'weeb' which has always been negative and an insult for a good reason. Embracing it is inherently cringy while embracing 'otaku' isn't. There is no reason to want to be associated with the word 'weeb' and all it stands for, no incentive to reclaim it if you actually want to be proud of being an anime fan. In fact it's used for the completely opposite now, to hide how ashamed and embarassed people are so they use 'weeb' to downplay their interest in and passion for anime, implying they only watch it ironically or for the memes but would never actually have a positive opinion about anime in general or being a fan about it. You're removing yourself as a target, but not my embracing anime and saying 'I like it, so what?', but by rejecting it and reducing it to some ironic form of entertainment that cannot and should not be seen in a serious light, basically saing "I don't even really like it that way so don't make fun of me for it". Sure, it does remove yourself as a target but only by painting an even bigger one on anime and anime fans in general by having the judgment and labeling come from the inside rather than the outside. From the people who are supposed to know better.

So no, it's not a power move of wearing a former insult with pride now. There is no pride in it, people just hide behind irony while insulting themselves so noone else can hurt their feelings first because they're scared shitless of being judged by anyone for their hobby so they pre-emotively judge themselves and tell everyone that they're basically only into anime ironically. If anything these things have gotten much worse since the community embraced 'weeb' as their label because people who actually are proud of being anime fans and not ashamed and who disagree and disprove a lot of the negative stereotypes and prejudices that exist against us, get more and more marginalized by the ironic, self-deprecating weeb culture that dominates the community at this point and is asserting itself as the only acceptable way of being an anime fan.

It's sad, pathetic and cringy to watch and noone can buy into the 'reclaiming words' narrative if they apply half their brain on how the term is actually used. It's not empowering, it's not coming from a place of pride in our hobby, it just redefines being an 'anime fan' as 'being a fan of everything japanese in general' with negative undertones and a lot of irony to make sure noone thinks we actually seriously lke what anime has to offer.

It's just frustrating as fuck when suddenly all the worst parts about anime fans, all the things that actually justify the negative stereotypes and prejudices that I've been defending anime fans against for over a decade now, when suddenly they become the only thing that anime fans are known for and defined by. I've hated everything the word 'weeb' stands for before it became trendy to insult yourself with it and nothing has changed since then. If it was about pride and not self-deprecation, people would have ambraced 'Otaku' instead of 'weeb'. They represent two completely opposite labels with different meanings and histories and connotations and the fact that the community chose "being irrational obsessed with japanese culture and hateful towards western culture" over "is passionate about your hobby" as the label of choice really says it all about the community, the lack of pride in our hobby and the level of self-hate that this decision represents.

If that's what being an anime fans means today, what being part of the community means today then I'll happily not be a part of that cringefest. I don't need to hide behind irony and self-deprecating insults to stand by the fact that I'm into anime. I'm not ashamed of my hobby, I know what it has to offer aside from meme humour and cringe and when people try to call me a normie because I'm disgusted by the way the modern anime fandom constantly insults itself pre-emptively, I can only laugh because I know I'm probably a bigger anime fan than everyone who uses 'weeb' to refer themselves combined. Because they aren't really fans, just visitory to our community who make fun of us while pretending to be one of us while they ironically enjoy anime for a year or two.

Auron_ said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

This. Gay meant something completely else and queer was a derogatory term for "not being normal / not in the norm" or eccentric, so you basically use it to give them no target. It basically says: "Even if that words means that I'm eccentric or not in the norm, so what? I like it."

Yup yup, it's a kinda similar mechanism to how people make self-deprecating jokes so others can't do it against them. Effective strategy.

I guess stuff like "woke","lib","leftie" would count too. What's with politics and abundance of insults lol
[quote=_Maneki-Neko_ message=60569889]

It's not an 'effective strategy', it's painfully transparent how desperately defensive that is and it basically screams 'Yes, I agree with all your insults! Will you stop being mean to us if we start insulting ourselves instead, so you can just watch and laugh at us!?' to everyone who ever shit on anime or anime fans.

The only thing you achieve with that is that the actual anime haters don't even have to put in the effort to insult us, because we're doing it for them. Now they can just point any random person to us and tell them "See, even they know how shitty and cringy their hobby is and make sure everyone knows they only watch anime ironically because watching it seriously is too embarassing to even consider."

It's the complete opposite of a power move - it emphasizes how weak-minded and weak-spirited and self-hating anime fans are, to the point where at this point there are no people who have a more negative opinion on anime and anime fans than the majority of anime fans themselves. We are our biggest enemy at this point with at least 90% of all insults and prejudices against anime fans being uttered by other anime fans. The actual haters don't have to do anything anymore when we're constantly putting ourselves in that light.

So yeah, the only 'effective' thing about this strategy is that it effectively made anime fans seem even worse, even less respectable to literally anyone compared to the times where we still stood up for ourselves and openly disagreed with all the bullshit stereotypes and prejudices that were thrown at us out of ignorance and toxicity. Now we ARE that ignorance and toxicity. Congratulations to us.
AlcoholicideAug 26, 2020 7:14 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 26, 2020 8:47 PM

Apr 2010
[quote=Pullman message=60571175]Yeah it's cringey as fuck and I'll never get why anime fans find it 'funneh' to willingly embrace the very, very worst aspects of being an anime fan while being ashamed of everything else related to anime. The fact that people treat being an anime fan as inseparable from being self-deprecating, cringey and worshipping japanese culture while hating western culture is just fucking weird and paints the anime fandom in a worse light than any prejudices from outside the community ever could.

Auron_ said:

This. Gay meant something completely else and queer was a derogatory term for "not being normal / not in the norm" or eccentric, so you basically use it to give them no target. It basically says: "Even if that word means that I'm eccentric or not in the norm, so what? I like it."

There is no positive element to it at all, no 'empowerment' of a derogatory term because it's not even a term that was ever used to insult anime fans in general, only a specific type (actual weebs) and their behaviour kinda deserves backlash because being a weeb is toxic and cringey while being into anime is just a hobby. The best way to make sure you're not a target for getting insulted as a weeb, is to simply not be a weeb. It was never that difficult. I've been a huge anime fan all my life, never been a weeb, never been called a weeb. You don't need to embrace a term that never actually described you at all - it never had a target in the first place. It's not like people are 'reclaiming' a word like Otaku that used to have negative connotations purely for cultural reasons and not because it's inherent meaning is derogatory, wearing it with pride to show the haters that anime fans don't care about being judged by outsiders. I could buy the argument for that. That would make sense to me since Otaku just means dedicated anime fan and when used as an insult it really only targets the passion for anime. That's kinda how it played out in Japan.

Otaku was never a word that 'should' have had negative connotations since it just means being passionate about your hobby so 'taking it back' makes sense. The same can't be said for 'weeb' which has always been negative and an insult for a good reason. Embracing it is inherently cringy while embracing 'otaku' isn't. There is no reason to want to be associated with the word 'weeb' and all it stands for, no incentive to reclaim it if you actually want to be proud of being an anime fan. In fact it's used for the completely opposite now, to hide how ashamed and embarassed people are so they use 'weeb' to downplay their interest in and passion for anime, implying they only watch it ironically or for the memes but would never actually have a positive opinion about anime in general or being a fan about it. You're removing yourself as a target, but not my embracing anime and saying 'I like it, so what?', but by rejecting it and reducing it to some ironic form of entertainment that cannot and should not be seen in a serious light, basically saing "I don't even really like it that way so don't make fun of me for it". Sure, it does remove yourself as a target but only by painting an even bigger one on anime and anime fans in general by having the judgment and labeling come from the inside rather than the outside. From the people who are supposed to know better.

So no, it's not a power move of wearing a former insult with pride now. There is no pride in it, people just hide behind irony while insulting themselves so noone else can hurt their feelings first because they're scared shitless of being judged by anyone for their hobby so they pre-emotively judge themselves and tell everyone that they're basically only into anime ironically. If anything these things have gotten much worse since the community embraced 'weeb' as their label because people who actually are proud of being anime fans and not ashamed and who disagree and disprove a lot of the negative stereotypes and prejudices that exist against us, get more and more marginalized by the ironic, self-deprecating weeb culture that dominates the community at this point and is asserting itself as the only acceptable way of being an anime fan.

It's sad, pathetic and cringy to watch and noone can buy into the 'reclaiming words' narrative if they apply half their brain on how the term is actually used. It's not empowering, it's not coming from a place of pride in our hobby, it just redefines being an 'anime fan' as 'being a fan of everything japanese in general' with negative undertones and a lot of irony to make sure noone thinks we actually seriously lke what anime has to offer.

It's just frustrating as fuck when suddenly all the worst parts about anime fans, all the things that actually justify the negative stereotypes and prejudices that I've been defending anime fans against for over a decade now, when suddenly they become the only thing that anime fans are known for and defined by. I've hated everything the word 'weeb' stands for before it became trendy to insult yourself with it and nothing has changed since then. If it was about pride and not self-deprecation, people would have ambraced 'Otaku' instead of 'weeb'. They represent two completely opposite labels with different meanings and histories and connotations and the fact that the community chose "being irrational obsessed with japanese culture and hateful towards western culture" over "is passionate about your hobby" as the label of choice really says it all about the community, the lack of pride in our hobby and the level of self-hate that this decision represents.

If that's what being an anime fans means today, what being part of the community means today then I'll happily not be a part of that cringefest. I don't need to hide behind irony and self-deprecating insults to stand by the fact that I'm into anime. I'm not ashamed of my hobby, I know what it has to offer aside from meme humour and cringe and when people try to call me a normie because I'm disgusted by the way the modern anime fandom constantly insults itself pre-emptively, I can only laugh because I know I'm probably a bigger anime fan than everyone who uses 'weeb' to refer themselves combined. Because they aren't really fans, just visitory to our community who make fun of us while pretending to be one of us while they ironically enjoy anime for a year or two.

Auron_ said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

_Maneki-Neko_ said:

It's not an 'effective strategy', it's painfully transparent how desperately defensive that is and it basically screams 'Yes, I agree with all your insults! Will you stop being mean to us if we start insulting ourselves instead, so you can just watch and laugh at us!?' to everyone who ever shit on anime or anime fans.

The only thing you achieve with that is that the actual anime haters don't even have to put in the effort to insult us, because we're doing it for them. Now they can just point any random person to us and tell them "See, even they know how shitty and cringy their hobby is and make sure everyone knows they only watch anime ironically because watching it seriously is too embarassing to even consider."

It's the complete opposite of a power move - it emphasizes how weak-minded and weak-spirited and self-hating anime fans are, to the point where at this point there are no people who have a more negative opinion on anime and anime fans than the majority of anime fans themselves. We are our biggest enemy at this point with at least 90% of all insults and prejudices against anime fans being uttered by other anime fans. The actual haters don't have to do anything anymore when we're constantly putting ourselves in that light.

So yeah, the only 'effective' thing about this strategy is that it effectively made anime fans seem even worse, even less respectable to literally anyone compared to the times where we still stood up for ourselves and openly disagreed with all the bullshit stereotypes and prejudices that were thrown at us out of ignorance and toxicity. Now we ARE that ignorance and toxicity. Congratulations to us.

I couldn't agree more with everything you've said here. The sad part is the past 8-7 years ago or so, we were getting to a point where you could openly be an Anime fan without having to deal with the social stigma that came with it. I never signed up for any of this cringe induced non sense and to be forced to don a label and be told to "just not let it bother you and deal with it" is just frustrating.
Aug 26, 2020 10:15 PM

Feb 2020
In my eyes, it's mostly just for a few reasons.

1. Users of the word don't realize it's not the best term to use
2. Irony / casual
3. Don't want to use the word "otaku"

There are people out there who don't really realize "weeb" has some not good associations with it, so they throw around the word... other people have just casually adopted it, for the sake of irony and "memey" stuff. They realize the bad connotations with it so they don't use it in an entirely serious way. Like other people have said, it's similar to casually calling yourself a simp.

I have also come across a few people who, for whatever reason, think calling yourself an "otaku" sounds way too pretentious so they don't want to use it.
Aug 26, 2020 10:50 PM

Jul 2019
I don't think the word "weeb" is cool at all. But in my opinion, it's better than calling myself an otaku or weaboo. Cause a weeb is someone who just likes anime. Otaku are the ones that would wear anything anime related and look cringy. Weaboos want to be a part of Japanese culture even though they aren't Japanese and make themselves look stupid. I'm not either of those and I consider myself a weeb because I just like anime, that's it. I don't make myself look bad or anything
Aug 26, 2020 11:14 PM

Apr 2010
guych said:
I don't think the word "weeb" is cool at all. But in my opinion, it's better than calling myself an otaku or weaboo. Cause a weeb is someone who just likes anime. Otaku are the ones that would wear anything anime related and look cringy. Weaboos want to be a part of Japanese culture even though they aren't Japanese and make themselves look stupid. I'm not either of those and I consider myself a weeb because I just like anime, that's it. I don't make myself look bad or anything

Oh boy, hate to break it to you dude but Weeb is the abbreviation of Weaboo. So calling yourself a weeb is actually worse than calling yourself an Otaku. If you like Anime then you're just an Anime fan. The step above that is an Otaku. A person that enjoys Anime culture and invests more money and time into it than the average person. It doesn't mean that you want to be Japanese and put Japan on a pedestal, that kind of behavior belongs to Weaboo's. The fact you're unknowingly calling yourself a weaboo is kind of tragic.
Aug 26, 2020 11:21 PM

Jul 2019
Zeroflamez said:
guych said:

Oh boy, hate to break it to you dude but Weeb is the abbreviation of Weaboo. So calling yourself a weeb is actually worse than calling yourself an Otaku. If you like Anime then you're just an Anime fan. The step above that is an Otaku. A person that enjoys Anime culture and invests more money and time into it than the average person. It doesn't mean that you want to be Japanese and put Japan on a pedestal, that kind of behavior belongs to Weaboo's. The fact you're unknowingly calling yourself a weaboo is kind of tragic.

Have you been on social media for the past few years? Yea the word weeb may have been an abbreviation for weaboo but literally no one uses weeb for weaboo anymore. If you been on Instagram and seen what the anime community as been doing, then you would know. Tragic that you can't even keep up with that.
Aug 26, 2020 11:58 PM

Feb 2019
NO_U_ETC said:
yaruka said:

why does what actually goes on in Japan even matter?

How about I just go around wearing black-face and flaunt black stereotypes because i love black culture so much, but really know nothing about black people. Now replace black with Japanese in that sentence, and see if it "matters"

I don't see the connection. most people who listen to black music dont know shit about black people (especially outside the US), and they dont have to know shit as a prereq of listening to rap or even being a massive fan. im not sure where you are getting the idea that people are going around black-face or whatever the equivilant of japanese stereotypes is, because that just doesn't happen. weebs just sit in their room playing games or watching anime, they aren't as stupid as you want to believe and dont have to research some shit just because they are an anime fan.
Aug 27, 2020 1:19 AM

Feb 2019
Don't know, don't care. As long as you don't interact with those group of people you're generally fine. They're not the last people you'll find on this planet.
Aug 27, 2020 1:28 AM

Jun 2013
I don't think it's cool and I would never use the term for myself or other anime fans. In general, I dislike self-deprecating names like that. It's been overused so much that it may have lost its meaning, but the origins of the word are still negative. I wish people could be happy and passionate about their hobby without having to feel ashamed or be ironic about it.
Aug 27, 2020 2:10 AM
Jul 2018
Zeroflamez said:

I never said you have to care or act like it's your problem. I'm just trying to say that it can be a problem for others and to disregard that fact as not being a problem cause it doesn't apply to you is kind of being ignorant.

If people stop doing what is fun to them, just because they could create or worsen a stereotype they are not responsble for, then I think you will stop being your own person after a while. It's not really about the term weeb, but everything that could be responsible to make this stereotype.

I also was called a weeb (unironically, ironically it's something else), because I rarely watch anything else than anime. Of course I do watch sometimes western movies or here and there a series, but not often. But you know what? It's my own free time, I won't orient my free time after other people's ideas.
Or that it could create a stereotype of anime fans, if people show their love for anime too much. And by too much they mean a few key chains or some anime related clothes.

Also let's think, what I should change too ... two women, who couldn't stand female activities and interests told me to stop being such a "housewife" for baking and all.
Or a gay good friend of mine was called out by other gay men stop being a bit "flamboyant" or more feminine and all.

Why should people, who try to be themselves, only have fun and are self-confident enough to do that, change themselves, just because others are scared of every negative response of society. And they are one those "stop being so 'stereotypical', it makes MEEE / OTHER of our group 'look bad'"-assholes.

The term weeb is there to consciously anger those people, not to describe the originally meaning of a weeb or weeaboo.
Like I said, the meaning of words change a lot over time and you should get a concept of this fact.
removed-userAug 27, 2020 3:17 AM
Aug 27, 2020 2:42 AM

Apr 2015
I think weebs can call other weebs "weebs" but if a non weeb uses the word to address us in an offensive way just cut out his toungue :)

Aug 27, 2020 3:04 AM
Jan 2018
>You have to be well versed in Japanese culture in those communities
Trust me not a single weeb breathing knows anything about Japan or Japanese culture
Aug 27, 2020 6:17 AM

Aug 2018
Calling yourself a weeb is more of a self-deprecating thing at this point, it's like how anime fans might can anime is trash and so am I or something along those lines
_______I like rocks__
Aug 27, 2020 7:41 AM

Jun 2015
It's funny because I remember "weaboo" used to be a bit touchy and anime fans would hate being called that. Now it feels like nobody even cares anymore, whether it be "weeb" or "weaboo." Personally, I find it more obnoxious than anything. I hate how so many AniTubers now call anime fans "weebs" instead of, y'know, anime fans... Meh.

💖 𝐼'𝓂 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃❣ 💖

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ 💝 𝒯𝓌𝒾𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 💝 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝒯𝓊𝒷𝑒 💝 ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆
💝 𝑀𝓎𝐹𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒞𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 💝
Aug 27, 2020 8:14 AM

Nov 2018
I don't mind if someone uses it as a joke or in fact, as an insult to someone. But if a person calls himself a weeb and is proud of it, the amount of cringe that goes through me just gives me the chills. You are not a Japanese and even if you understand quite a bit of it's culture, you'll never be a full fledge japanese (Though there's nothing wrong if you legit want to understand and learn about their culture). I've gone through that phase and every time i think about it, i really get embarrassed. Just call yourself an 'anime fan'. Is it that hard, fucking weebs?
Aug 27, 2020 11:38 AM

Apr 2010
guych said:
Zeroflamez said:

Have you been on social media for the past few years? Yea the word weeb may have been an abbreviation for weaboo but literally no one uses weeb for weaboo anymore. If you been on Instagram and seen what the anime community as been doing, then you would know. Tragic that you can't even keep up with that.

Because the people on Instagram, other social media platforms and the general Anime community calling themselves weebs have no fucking clue what the word "Weeb" is derived from nor that it has negative connotations. Cause they started watching Anime 3-4 years ago and are seeing everyone else toss the word around so they do it too. Then you have the people like yourself that feel the need to stay up to date by referring to yourself as a weeb. I honestly could care less what the Anime community is doing. I'm aware but I don't care. You can think all you want that "Weeb" is not negative while weaboo is. Just cause you use the term "Weeb" instead of Weaboo does not automatically remove any negative connotations the word has. An abbreviation of a word can't have a different meaning to the word it's derived from. So whether you or other fans like it or not you're still calling yourselves weaboo's. Tragic.Think what you want though I'll just be sitting back and laughing at the spectacle that is the modern Anime community.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Zeroflamez said:

If people stop doing what is fun to them, just because they could create or worsen a stereotype they are not responsble for, then I think you will stop being your own person after a while. It's not really about the term weeb, but everything that could be responsible to make this stereotype.

I also was called a weeb (unironically, ironically it's something else), because I rarely watch anything else than anime. Of course I do watch sometimes western movies or here and there a series, but not often. But you know what? It's my own free time, I won't orient my free time after other people's ideas.
Or that it could create a stereotype of anime fans, if people show their love for anime too much. And by too much they mean a few key chains or some anime related clothes.

Also let's think, what I should change too ... two women, who couldn't stand female activities and interests told me to stop being such a "housewife" for baking and all.
Or a gay good friend of mine was called out by other gay men stop being a bit "flamboyant" or more feminine and all.

Why should people, who try to be themselves, only have fun and are self-confident enough to do that, change themselves, just because others are scared of every negative response of society. And they are one those "stop being so 'stereotypical', it makes MEEE / OTHER of our group 'look bad'"-assholes.

The term weeb is there to consciously anger those people, not to describe the originally meaning of a weeb or weeaboo.
Like I said, the meaning of words change a lot over time and you should get a concept of this fact.

I never said anything about anyone having to change or that people shouldn't be able to do what they want. I just said when you're apart of a group, the vocal majority of that group represent the group and because of that some stereotypes can affect the minority of the group negatively. Some people have a problem with that, even if you don't. That's all I wanted to get across, nothing more nothing less. So you going on and on about how people shouldn't have to change and such is irrelevant because I never said they have to change. Nor did I say anyone should take accountability for whatever negative stereotypes. If the community really wanted to not be bothered by "Weaboo" or "Weeb" anymore all they had to do was disassociate the word from the Anime community and create a new word that wasn't rooted in negativity. Instead of just calling each other "Weebs" in an attempt to take the power of the word away from people who use it as an insult. It's just stupid. Whatever though people can call themselves what they want. I don't care.
Aug 27, 2020 12:39 PM

Oct 2018
yaruka said:
NO_U_ETC said:

How about I just go around wearing black-face and flaunt black stereotypes because i love black culture so much, but really know nothing about black people. Now replace black with Japanese in that sentence, and see if it "matters"

I don't see the connection. most people who listen to black music dont know shit about black people (especially outside the US), and they dont have to know shit as a prereq of listening to rap or even being a massive fan. im not sure where you are getting the idea that people are going around black-face or whatever the equivilant of japanese stereotypes is, because that just doesn't happen. weebs just sit in their room playing games or watching anime, they aren't as stupid as you want to believe and dont have to research some shit just because they are an anime fan.

You live in Australia? I think we are experiencing completely different "weebs" in our cultures. The one's in the US get down right offensive and insulting, and from my understanding, Australia has a completely different mentality than the US does, and has not lost their ability for consideration, compassion, kindness, etc... You not understanding what I am trying to describe, actually restores a little bit of my hope for humanity
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Aug 27, 2020 2:48 PM

Oct 2015
@Pullman
There is no positive element to it at all, no 'empowerment' of a derogatory term because it's not even a term that was ever used to insult anime fans in general, only a specific type (actual weebs) and their behaviour kinda deserves backlash because being a weeb is toxic and cringey while being into anime is just a hobby. The best way to make sure you're not a target for getting insulted as a weeb, is to simply not be a weeb. It was never that difficult.

That's simply not true, it had stopped referring only to JP culture obsessors and had gotten (mis)used by and large against anyone who liked Anime-related material to a high enough degree waaay before the members of the community decided adopting it.

I don't particularly care about anything pertaining to JP outside of their comics, cartoons and digitized interactive novels, never used the term weeb to refer to myself either ironically, unironically, post-ironically, meta-ironically or whatever kind there is, yet been called weeb multiple times in certain platforms simply by my profile pic. I definitely don't take your word for that matter.

I'm not invested enough on the matter to read the entirety of your reply
Auron_Aug 27, 2020 3:00 PM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

7 by IKKIsama »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
5 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
16 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
19 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

47 by LostSpectre »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.